2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He was for Kawhi.... Reports are he's all in on Davis.  My thought is the Bucks sending over a bunch of role players doesn't move the needle for me because you need that foundational guy or 2nd.  Same with Toronto.... The more I look, the same with the Lakers.  Demps can probably talk to Ainge now and say I'll wait if Tatum is in the deal and if Ainge doesn't agree then they can say, all bets are off.  I'd rather have the Celtics in the bidding than not.

Agree that the Celts can ultimately make the best offer.       There is little question about that.   NO shouldn't do anything until the summer.   Even if AD decides to shut it down for the rest of the year.  

1 minute ago, d2o said:

Agree that the Celts can ultimately make the best offer.       There is little question about that.   NO shouldn't do anything until the summer.   Even if AD decides to shut it down for the rest of the year.  

Frankly, I probably help him coast the rest of the season.  He could either get surgery on his finger or get plenty of nights off for "rest" or "illness" and with 5-10 games to go, I just sit him.  I want to tank and get the best lottery pick so I'm really pushing to trade the rest of the roster.  Get something for Randle unless you've talked to him and he wants to re-sign.  Same for Mirotic.  Can I get anything for Jrue?  Can I get Hill or Moore off my books?  Let the rebuild happen but I wait until the summer for AD.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Frankly, I probably help him coast the rest of the season.  He could either get surgery on his finger or get plenty of nights off for "rest" or "illness" and with 5-10 games to go, I just sit him.  I want to tank and get the best lottery pick so I'm really pushing to trade the rest of the roster.  Get something for Randle unless you've talked to him and he wants to re-sign.  Same for Mirotic.  Can I get anything for Jrue?  Can I get Hill or Moore off my books?  Let the rebuild happen but I wait until the summer for AD.

Agree with all of that.    If you're out.   Fuck it, we're out!   Let's try and stack draft picks.

Edited by d2o

One thing on Ainge being all in on Kawhi.    Shouldn't he have been able to make a better offer than what SA ultimately got if he was?    Don't get me wrong, SA did really well but for Kawhi you would think Ainge would have offered pretty much any of their assets and been able to beat that offer.

Oh yeah. Come July, this is going to be awesome. And if the Lakers don't get him, it will be even better. My dream scenario is the same Lakers team running it back next season with Luke Walton and a "murderous, but can't do shit because he finally signed a contract that doesn't expire in a season" Lebron. I'm getting hard just fantasizing about the Lakers fucking this up. 

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

One thing on Ainge being all in on Kawhi.    Shouldn't he have been able to make a better offer than what SA ultimately got if he was?    Don't get me wrong, SA did really well but for Kawhi you would think Ainge would have offered pretty much any of their assets and been able to beat that offer.

That's where Kawhi's announcement of preference fucked the Spurs. Ain't no way Ainge was paying that much for a rental. 

edit: And this is probably where Klutch is going to fuck the Pelicans. "AD will only consider the Lakers for an extension," or some shit like that. It's coming. 

Edited by Kermit

1 minute ago, Kermit said:

That's where Kawhi's announcement of preference fucked the Spurs. Ain't no way Ainge was paying that much for a rental. 

I guess it remains to be seen if Kawhi stays in TOR but I just think teams are short selling themselves with that.     Kawhi on BOS this yr KILLS!   They are the easy fave in the East and would have all ingredients to give GSW a run.     Plus,  these guys don't really wanna keep switching teams.    I would have a difficult time believing Kawhi would just walk away from that situation to go to the Clips.

And if that is how Ainge felt then that goes back to my previous point.   Will he go all in to trade for Davis when he could just be a rental?

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

We aren’t talking about 2000 and that is the point. You just had a Duncan caliber player leave your team. This is exactly what you said would not happen. No amount of role player or maxed out top100-50 make a difference. Change the name Leonard to Duncan and the situation is the same. It’s not bad management, it’s you have to have the superstars to win a title. 

It wouldn’t matter how well they were managed if Tim Duncan left after his rookie contract. 

You seem to forget that Duncan did almost leave to "team up" and then at the last minute decided not to.    I'm not sure why you are so sure Duncan would've have left after his rookie deal for a large market.    Especially given his personality.

8 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Oh yeah. Come July, this is going to be awesome. And if the Lakers don't get him, it will be even better. My dream scenario is the same Lakers team running it back next season with Luke Walton and a "murderous, but can't do shit because he finally signed a contract that doesn't expire in a season" Lebron. I'm getting hard just fantasizing about the Lakers fucking this up. 

I think we can all agree that this summer is going to be nuts.  I don't know if the top 10 players in the NBA has ever been this good...or this clearly defined.

LeBron

KD

Steph

Harden

AD

Kawhi

Giannis

Jokic

Embiid

PG13

With a pretty huge drop off to the guys you'd consider at #11--Dame, Kyrie, Russ, KAT, etc.

And THREE of those guys are likely on the move this offseason, and one of those guys moving will likely end the stranglehold a 4th guy's team has on the NBA.  Should be fun.

19 minutes ago, d2o said:

Wasn't it pretty widely reported that Ainge refused to put Brown in any deal with SA?  If so, that looks pretty unforgivable now.

Ainge has made some great moves--swindling the Nets and selling high on IT, for starters--but he's also the guy who tried to trade like 4 picks for Justice Winslow on draft day. 

I like Tatum, but I have trouble seeing his ceiling as MVP-level.  If he's a sticking point for acquiring AD, he shouldn't be.

14 minutes ago, Kermit said:

edit: And this is probably where Klutch is going to fuck the Pelicans. "AD will only consider the Lakers for an extension," or some shit like that. It's coming. 

They're already putting that out there.  In his article today, Woj is implying AD wants the Lakers, but as our aggie friend posted last page, I think that's a bluff..... Lebron had that leverage last summer, I don't think there's any fucking way he's sitting around for another year not contending.  If they don't get AD this summer, they almost have to start building in another way.  Would that mean Kemba?  Would that mean trading for Dame, if they could?  Would that mean maxing out Jimmy Butler?  Another max contract and they almost can't afford AD.

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Wasn't it pretty widely reported that Ainge refused to put Brown in any deal with SA?  If so, that looks pretty unforgivable now.

Ainge has made some great moves--swindling the Nets and selling high on IT, for starters--but he's also the guy who tried to trade like 4 picks for Justice Winslow on draft day. 

I like Tatum, but I have trouble seeing his ceiling as MVP-level.  If he's a sticking point for acquiring AD, he shouldn't be.

Totally agree.  He shouldn't have been the sticking point in getting Kawhi but there were more questions around Kawhi with injury and his incompetent circle of influence.  But I do see Tatum as a Paul George starter kit, but there's risk.  Maybe his development stalls out.  Maybe he gets hurt before he gets there.  Maybe he doesn't get over traded very well, etc, etc.  I think Tatum and Zion are the two most intriguing assets which have been discussed, unless the Knicks want to move Porzingis.

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Totally agree.  He shouldn't have been the sticking point in getting Kawhi but there were more questions around Kawhi with injury and his incompetent circle of influence.  But I do see Tatum as a Paul George starter kit, but there's risk.  Maybe his development stalls out.  Maybe he gets hurt before he gets there.  Maybe he doesn't get over traded very well, etc, etc.  I think Tatum and Zion are the two most intriguing assets which have been discussed, unless the Knicks want to move Porzingis.

Brandon Ingam tanking his trade value every time that he steps on a court sure hasn't helped the Lakers' cause.  After last season, a package centered around he and Kuzma would have sounded passable.  But, in 2-3 years, if Kyle Kuzma is the biggest asset that you got from trading Anthony Davis, errbody gonna get fired.

If NO would trade AD for Zingis, the Knicks had better jump all over that.  AD would certainly attract more interest from the Kyrie and KD's of the world than a 7'3" young guy coming off major ACL repair.

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Brandon Ingam tanking his trade value every time that he steps on a court sure hasn't helped the Lakers' cause.  After last season, a package centered around he and Kuzma would have sounded passable.  But, in 2-3 years, if Kyle Kuzma is the biggest asset that you got from trading Anthony Davis, errbody gonna get fired.

If NO would trade AD for Zingis, the Knicks had better jump all over that.  AD would certainly attract more interest from the Kyrie and KD's of the world than a 7'3" young guy coming off major ACL repair.

So I was trying to think of another All-Star who was in their 3rd year who hadn't blossomed yet and already moving in the right direction in regards to Ingram.  Don't get me wrong, there are guys out there like that.  Maybe a Chauncey?  Or Ben Wallace.  Someone like that, but most All-Star level players are already showing what they got.  Giannis was already consistently flashing.  Paul George was already a core player.   Kawhi was already the best defender in the league.  Kyle Lowry?  Dragic?  I guess those guys and I think the Lakers try and sell his age rather than time in the league, but he's looking like a guy that will eventually put up some good top level numbers but maybe never be a great basketball player.  I have major misgivings he can be a top 2 player on a championship contender with his start.  Now, am I closing the door on it?  No, but am I betting on it or is history on his side???  No.  Kuzma may not have his ceiling but I think he has a higher floor.  He can at least score, just needs to improve efficiency and learn to do more things, but I think he's a #3 ultimately.  Reminds me of Kris Middleton, maybe better.

I don't think Can do Zingis straight up but maybe Zingis, Knox and stuff for Davis.... They then sign Kyrie in free agency and you have a possible top 3 pick???  Fill in around?

Knicks want in......

Their cap is still pretty messy.  They could probably afford another max contract with some creative GM'ing if they could get AD, which could be KD or Kyrie.  They still have that fucking awful Noah stretch deal just killing money.  Maybe something around Porzingis, Knox, and Kanter along with a future pick for AD and Hill?  Meh.

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I think we can all agree that this summer is going to be nuts.  I don't know if the top 10 players in the NBA has ever been this good...or this clearly defined.

LeBron

KD

Steph

Harden

AD

Kawhi

Giannis

Jokic

Embiid

PG13

With a pretty huge drop off to the guys you'd consider at #11--Dame, Kyrie, Russ, KAT, etc.

And THREE of those guys are likely on the move this offseason, and one of those guys moving will likely end the stranglehold a 4th guy's team has on the NBA.  Should be fun.

There is not a "huge" dropoff between PG and Dame, Kyrie and Russ. Please. 

I would be shocked also if NO cooperates with the Lakers right now.  Consider the football team and what just happened and what team just beat them and where some of the refs are from supposedly.  The owner of the Saints is the same as the Pelicans, and how could they sell to that city another beatdown like that without a surefire star coming back from LA which can't happen with their current roster? 

49 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

This story is really gaining traction. Such a weird dude, if true (well, a weird dude regardless). He understandably wanted to go out on his own to try to lead his own team and not live under LeBron's shadow...then after two years or decent success and things set up to win at a high level for years to come, he'd go back to LeBron, even if it means being the 3rd best player on the team? Impossible to predict this league.

It would be worth it though to see P/thatguy's instant 180 on what he thinks about Kyrie the second he rejoined LeBron.

Edited by aggie08

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

This story is really gaining traction. Such a weird dude, if true (well, a weird dude regardless). He understandably wanted to go out on his own to try to lead his own team and not live under LeBron's shadow...then after two years or decent success and things set up to win at a high level for years to come, he'd go back to LeBron, even if it means being the 3rd best player on the team? Impossible to predict this league.

It would be worth it though to see P/thatguy's instant 180 on what he thinks about Kyrie the second he rejoined LeBron.

Supposedly, it's being put out there by Lebron's guys (Klutch).  Regardless, unless Kyrie wants to take less, there's no way for him to get to LA....

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

It's almost too preposterous to take seriously, but then again, Kyrie has always been a different cat.

You know how KD is criticized for "bitching out" and joining GS?  Multiply that by about 1000 and that would be Kyrie going west to ride Lebron's coattails, again, after making noise about how he wants to be his own man.

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Supposedly, it's being put out there by Lebron's guys (Klutch).  Regardless, unless Kyrie wants to take less, there's no way for him to get to LA....

That's my thoughts too. Klutch is trying to weaken Boston's position in the hopes that New Orleans panics rather than wait for a Celtics' offer that may not come if they're in flux this offseason.

But a lot of pretty trustworthy writers have put their names to Boston loosing ground with Kyrie.

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

That's my thoughts too. Klutch is trying to weaken Boston's position in the hopes that New Orleans panics rather than wait for a Celtics' offer that may not come if they're in flux this offseason.

But a lot of pretty trustworthy writers have put their names to Boston loosing ground with Kyrie.

There have been rumors about New York that I've read.  Lately the rumors have him coming back, I think some have been spun when the C's were struggling.  I think New York is the other possible destination.  I see going back to Lebron, like a broken down bitch..... untenable.  Also, the guy who got the buzz going is Ric Bucher.  Nothing against Buchs and all reports from here will have slant (even Woj), but I don't see him having a ton of inside information anymore.  

I think it's noise by Rich Paul and his cronies.... they did a lot of the same things last summer with Kawhi.

6 hours ago, Kermit said:

The Celtics have a huge Gordon Hayward problem.

It's been an issue all season.  When Stevens stated him to start the season even though he clearly was not ready.   That killed all the momentum/chemistry the housing guys had going.  

22 minutes ago, d2o said:

Pels taking trade calls from all teams.........except the Lakers.   They also have taken AD's image off of the intro vids.   Looks like he won't be there much longer.

I hate that shit. So fucking petty. You don't have to like that he's leaving or where he wants to play, but be professional. AD didn't choose to be drafted by NO any more than LeBron chose Cleveland or KD chose to get drafted by Seattle, and immediately shipped to Oklahoma. Yet, they gave your franchise 7 years, making you millions upon millions in the process, improving the community.

But yeah, hard to see AD playing another second there, even if he isn't traded next week. Not worth the risk of injury, and the Pels want to suck hard the rest of the season.

Also, the league-wide resentment of the Lakers constantly tampering and Klutch trying to manipulate the league/media is very, very real. Probably going to take a third team with better assets to get New Orleans to do LA any favors.

Edited by aggie08

36 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I hate that shit. So fucking petty. You don't have to like that he's leaving or where he wants to play, but be professional. AD didn't choose to be drafted by NO any more than LeBron chose Cleveland or KD chose to get drafted by Seattle, and immediately shipped to Oklahoma. Yet, they gave your franchise 7 years, making you millions upon millions in the process, improving the community.

But yeah, hard to see AD playing another second there, even if he isn't traded next week. Not worth the risk of injury, and the Pels want to suck hard the rest of the season.

Also, the league-wide resentment of the Lakers constantly tampering and Klutch trying to manipulate the league/media is very, very real. Probably going to take a third team with better assets to get New Orleans to do LA any favors.

That step says it all.   He won't play for them again barring some major change.    Even if they don't move him they will shut him down for the season to make sure he doesnt get hurt.   At least that will be their excuse.    Plenty of people will defend the move too.     Maaaannnnnn if he had decided to shut it down until he was traded........whew.

Edited by d2o

Seriously though, this may be the last chance the Knicks have to be relevant for a decade. Trade literally every good asset they have for AD, and then pray that he can sell KD or Kyrie on the Big Apple. Because the "cache" of the Knicks sure as shit isn't going to be enough.