Mail Bomber talk not going away

Hugo Stiglitz

I can't remember what was and wasn't public knowledge but I talked to some of our bomb squad guys about the Austin bombs. They couldn't tell me a lot because they are still looking into other suspects, but the Austin bomber used mousetraps as his switches and gained pretty much 100% of his knowledge on Youtube. 

He had no background in this sort of thing and the ease of which it was all done is quite frightening. 

Edited by Constant

24 minutes ago, Constant said:

I can't remember what was and wasn't public knowledge but I talked to some of our bomb squad guys about the Austin bombs. They couldn't tell me a lot because they are still looking into other suspects, but the Austin bomber used mousetraps as his switches and gained pretty much 100% of his knowledge on Youtube. 

He had no background in this sort of thing and the ease of which it was all done is quite frightening. 

household items with springs are common trigger mechanisms.  The SLA used clothespins in their pipe bombs back in the 70s.

17 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

household items with springs are common trigger mechanisms.  The SLA used clothespins in their pipe bombs back in the 70s.

Right. I understand the methods have been around for a long time. The crazy part is this novice picked it up on a whim on Youtube and went 7/7 in building homemade devices. 

1 minute ago, Constant said:

Right. I understand the methods have been around for a long time. The crazy part is this novice picked it up on a whim on Youtube and went 7/7 in building homemade devices. 

With the Internet, you can become pretty good at almost anything if you put your mind to it.

Those cold packs where you crush them to mix two ingredients and it gets super cold. Buy some of those, open, take out the beads, mix with aluminum powder, you have tannerite. So that one is not going to be easy to outlaw. Thankfully it takes a pretty good something to set it off. Just a bullet going off even point blank wouldn't do it. You can shoot it with .22 and nothing. I bought some Tannerite about 15 years ago and back then they had videos showing them shooting it with .22 and .45acp and nada. Has to be high velocity, rifle round. So you would have to have a barrel for the bullet to go down, to get that kind of velocity.

• 5 months later...