We have no jalapeños......

Reagan1k

Sort of a CSB, but it struck me as odd....

flew to San Antonio this week for a meeting to sign a new deal.  Ended up deciding to eat dinner with my vendor at Signature in La Cantera.  

Couple of their team wanted to order a featured cocktail that was spicy and had a jalapeño component.... waiter tells them they can’t make it as shown on the menu because the restaurant has no jalapeños.

Vendor is from Minnesota so they kind of brushed it off but I was dumbfounded. 

How in the hell does a San Antonio restaurant with something like that on the menu not have any peppers? You could swing a dead cat from there and hit 3 HEB’s.

Pointless post is pointless other than I can’t fathom how they couldn’t figure out to give some bus boy a $10 and send him down the hill to HEB and grab some. 

Signature was otherwise great and the service impeccable- other than their pantry management.  

10 hours ago, Eastwood said:

You were in San Antonio and had the chance to blow the minds of some Yoopers with Tex Mex. Instead you took them to Signature. That's on you.

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Btw guys... the cocktail sucked and the food at signature was meh. But the op HAD to freaking go there

Didn't say the food was meh or that I running the decisions.  Meeting was at La Cantera so that was the simple choice during the monsoon.  

Food was great and I don't drink so it was no sweat off my back - just amusing/confusing given the location. 

Seared venison with a huckleberry reduction was outstanding....just take your own jalapenos if you go.

19 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

flew to San Antonio this week for a meeting to sign a new deal.  Ended up deciding to eat dinner with my vendor at Signature in La Cantera.  

Couple of their team wanted to order a featured cocktail that was spicy and had a jalapeño component.... waiter tells them they can’t make it as shown on the menu because the restaurant has no jalapeños.

How in the hell does a San Antonio restaurant with something like that on the menu not have any peppers? You could swing a dead cat from there and hit 3 HEB’s.

Pointless post is pointless other than I can’t fathom how they couldn’t figure out to give some bus boy a $10 and send him down the hill to HEB and grab some. 

Signature was otherwise great and the service impeccable- other than their pantry management.  

reminds me of the recent story of Reykjavik running out of booze!

20 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

that was one of my huge issues with shake shack when it opened in Rice Village in Houston.  No jalapenos.  You opened a burger shop in Texas, and have no jalapenos and claim you have sport peppers for your Chicago dog?  Did you do any market research?  At all?  GTFO.  apparently im not the only a-hole who complained.  THey now do offer jalapenos "for their texas customers".  Well, thanks so much for going out of your way for "texas customers".  I know, I know, don't eat shitty burgers at shake shack, and there are thousands of better options.  I get it.  I know.  I don't make that many decisions around my house.  I am fine with that most of the time.  

26 minutes ago, midtown said:

Why would a french fine dining restaurant have jalapenos on hand?  

Because their bar menu shows a featured cocktail made with jalapenos and it is on the same property as their sister tex-mex restaurant.....in S.A.

• Like 1

Aren't cocktails garnished with jalapenos that are smoked and candied or crusted with Mexican peanut candy or macerated in rosemary broth or some such?  I can't see a place like La Cantera just slicing up a fresh or pickled jalapeno and putting it on a cocktail.

1 hour ago, DFWTexEx said:

I can't see a place like La Cantera just slicing up a fresh or pickled jalapeno and putting it on a cocktail.

I couldn't see it either......because they ran out, HEB was closed, and no ran over to Primero Cantina to grab a few.

Was to be fresh jalapeno - waiter described it and a couple of other cocktails as his recommendations while taking drink orders....before someone screwed up and ordered it.

Hot Passion made with Three-pepper Tequila, passion fruit, jalapeno

On 10/28/2018 at 3:22 PM, Dewey said:

I am wondering why the jalepenos seem so bland lately. I know how to select them

The TAM Jalapeño

tamjalapeno-200x300.jpgCreating a mild jalapeño pepper was written off as a crazy idea when it was first proposed in the late 1970s — but the appeal of such a pepper to food industry leaders was huge, as it could help expand the customer base for both growers and producers of Mexican and Cajun foods. Benigno “Ben” Villalon, with Texas A&M AgriLife Research, soon produced that pepper in 1981: the TAM Mild Jalapeño went on revolutionize the salsa industry. The mild pepper not only helped salsa producers create milder salsas with broader appeal, but it was also good for stuffing and slicing for nachos and pizza topping.

Villalon, also known as “Dr. Pepper,” continued his work as a pepper breeder and plant pathology professor until his retirement in 1996. Now professor emeritus, Villalon and Kevin Crosby, now an associate professor of horticultural sciences in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences who was the head of the pepper-breeding program at the Texas Agricultural Research and Extension Center at Weslaco, developed the TAM Mild Jalapeño II in 2002. This pepper matures almost a week earlier than its predecessor and is also resistant to four common pepper viruses.

Other pepper varieties created by Villalon and Crosby (some which also bear a Texas A&M connection in their names) include the Tambel-2,  Hidalgo Serrano, TAM Mild Chile-2, Rio Grande Gold, TAM Veracruz, TAM Mild Habanero, TAM Dulcito Sweet Jalapeño ,  TAM Tropic Bell, and  TAM Valley Hot Cayenne, and TAM Ben Villalon Chile, products that emphasize disease resistance, stress tolerance, earliness and longer shelf life.

Thank aggy

Edited by GringoSalado

6 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

that was one of my huge issues with shake shack when it opened in Rice Village in Houston.  No jalapenos.  You opened a burger shop in Texas, and have no jalapenos and claim you have sport peppers for your Chicago dog?  Did you do any market research?  At all?  GTFO.  apparently im not the only a-hole who complained.  THey now do offer jalapenos "for their texas customers".  Well, thanks so much for going out of your way for "texas customers".  I know, I know, don't eat shitty burgers at shake shack, and there are thousands of better options.  I get it.  I know.  I don't make that many decisions around my house.  I am fine with that most of the time.  

1200px-InNOut.svg.png