10.29.18 Coach Herman press conference (Noon)

bigup2dahorns

21 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

We agree they aren't "top 10 caliber" but 3 days ago, they were in the hunt for a playoff birth. Saying "We still control our own destiny" is spin, saying they could still make the CCG. However, they were basically eliminated from national championship contention. 

A conference championship is great, but if "destiny" isn't a national championship, Tom is coaching at the wrong school. 

Valid Points....

Right now, the HORNS  seem like they got too far out over their Skis.  Or as Saban calls it.... 'rat poison' from media is invading players' heads.   They weren't mentally prepared for the challenge at Okie Lite.  

While some might disregard Herman's comments about "Texas playing their best and they can beat anybody".... this current Texas team has to be better prepared mentally, and  perform well to Win their upcoming games against WVU, Tech, and ISU.

If they make the B12 CCG, it will be a great accomplishment for this group of players....🤘

Edited by LTtxfan

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

I wish we had not chosen to kick off in the first half against OSU this game. I know I and many other fans have called for tempo, but this was one game where we could have benefitted from making a conscious effort to chew up clock during the first quarter. Imagine if the Pokes only had two series to exploit Boyce and Cook instead of four.

You would think Mensa would be smart enough to lessen their exposure.   Is that not common sense here?  Seems like too often though he out-thinks himself and says "F it, we're gonna roll with it anyway....they can't beat us!."      There always seems to be a few headscratchers  after each game where we are like WhyTF did he do that whn the obvious is this?   The slow methodical play in the last drive that ate up nearly 4 minutes of  clock is another one in the  last game.   Come on man!  Think! 

6 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Against WVU, we’re gonna have to be able to run the ball. There is an element of game management to keep the WVU offense off the field. But also we need to score points and don’t expect this to be a low scoring game.

But what about the fact that we have Vahe( the Hager equivalent)  as a starter, does that matter with our goal of running the ball?

Edited by El Squared

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

We agree they aren't "top 10 caliber" but 3 days ago, they were in the hunt for a playoff birth. Saying "We still control our own destiny" is spin, saying they could still make the CCG. However, they were basically eliminated from national championship contention. 

A conference championship is great, but if "destiny" isn't a national championship, Tom is coaching at the wrong school. 

Fuck dude, this team wasn't going to the playoffs, because they aren't talented enough in the front line or have the depth needed to make a run. We are on the right track that is all you could hope for considering the only winning season anyone on this team has every had was last year.

6 hours ago, Machinator said:

I wish we had not chosen to kick off in the first half against OSU this game. I know I and many other fans have called for tempo, but this was one game where we could have benefitted from making a conscious effort to chew up clock during the first quarter. Imagine if the Pokes only had two series to exploit Boyce and Cook instead of four.

Point taken, and agree completely.  Make the guys run hills or stadium steps or whatever, but if you're going to bench both staring corners, lets not start off on defense.  

Though fortunately we didn't choose to kick off but rather to defer.  We proved that you can kick off to start both halves a few years ago

Just now, BurntEyes said:

I was able to deduce that which is why I posted exactly what I posted.

Again, isn't the ultimate goal to get into the playoffs and try to win a national championship? 

3 days ago we were the Masters of our own destiny. Now we need some shit to happen to make it to the conference championship, and the ultimate goal, whether it was Tom's goal or not has been removed from the table.

If you say so.

3 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Do you debate that the ultimate goal is to win a national championship?

Do you debate that goal is off the table?

Do you debate we were in a better position to play in the conference championship before Sat?

Please tell me, I'd really like some clarification.

I don't debate any of those things. As someone who watched all of the press conferences over the summer and followed the conference today, it felt clear to me that his reference to goals was to the stated (realistic) season goal of winning a conference championship, over which we still control our destiny. You interpret it differently, I see, and I don't feel like debating it further. I can't find it to get worked up over a couple sentences that might not have been perfectly crafted in a press conference.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

3 days ago we were the Masters of our own destiny. Now we need some shit to happen to make it to the conference championship, and the ultimate goal, whether it was Tom's goal or not has been removed from the table.

Not quite sure what  you are referring to when you say "some shit" has to happen for Horns to make B12 CCG?

If TEXAS wins their remaining  B12 games (WVU, Tech, ISU & KU) then  TEXAS qualifies for the B12 Championship Game.....

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Again, isn't the ultimate goal to get into the playoffs and win a national championship? 

its called win your games.  Win them all and you're in.  Lose a game, particularly your opener to Maryland and then you need shit to happen.  We were definitely in the conversation and needed to win out and shit to happen.  But we have not looked like a championship level team, thus the national media talking about OU despite our h2h. 

Losing Saturday sucked, more so than the past few years because it's been years since this team was at 6-1 at this point.  But as far as the conference is concerned, we don't need shit to happen, we just have to win.  We very much control our destiny though we can't afford a loss this week. 

win out and we are in CCG without question.   Lose to WV and we need OU to drop one of WV to drop 2.  This is a critical game.  

If we beat WV then we have a little breathing room, we could take a loss to tech or Kansas. Need to beat ISU with their remaining schedule.  If we lost to WV and we both won out, I believe we would rematch WV

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I made a single off hand comment about some of Herman's bullshit spin and there are now 10 posts arguing we me about the following.

We are not in a position to control our own destiny to play a national championship game.

You need to redirect your ire toward all the coolaide swilling Tom knob slobbers.

You’re the only one ridiculously talking about a national championship game. Take a lap, dude.

17 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I made a single off hand comment about some of Herman's bullshit spin and there are now 10 posts arguing we me 

You need to redirect your ire toward all the coolaide swilling Tom knob slobbers.

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Re: expectations

If you told me this year we would beat OU and still have an inside track to win the conference in November, I would take that all day. Playoff contender didn't even cross my mind pre-season, we have too many holes still. 2019 and 2020 is when my expectations take a leap with Herman in the all telling "year 3"

8 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

If you told me this year we would beat OU and still have an inside track to win the conference in November, I would take that all day. Playoff contender didn't even cross my mind pre-season, we have too many holes still. 2019 and 2020 is when my expectations take a leap with Herman in the all telling "year 3"

You should temper your expectations for 2019. We're replacing 8-9 starters on defense, possibly our top two wide receivers, three starting linemen, and our starting 5th year TE. There will be talent upgrades at certain positions, but that's a lot of experience to lose and to expect another leap.

2020 is the year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Funny article on expectations & perspective...

https://www.burntorangenation.com/football/2018/10/29/18039086/appropriate-perspective-texas-longhorns-38-35-loss-oklahoma-state-cowboys

59 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You should temper your expectations for 2019. We're replacing 8-9 starters on defense, possibly our top two wide receivers, three starting linemen, and our starting 5th year TE. There will be talent upgrades at certain positions, but that's a lot of experience to lose and to expect another leap.

2020 is the year.

+1000 🤘

• Like 1

Again, isn't the ultimate goal to get into the playoffs and win a national championship? 

Bro. You have zero clue what you are talking about. We don’t need anything to happen to make the CCG. We just have to win. Period. Just win. That’s it

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

We're still the masters of our own destiny. Win out and we're in the conference championship game. Hell if we beat WVU we're allowed to lose one more game to anyone besides Iowa State, I believe, because if OU wins out and Iowa State wins out and we beat everyone besides Iowa State they'd have two losses in conference like us and have the tiebreaker. So long as we beat WVU we're in a really good place and if we win out we probably get to beat OU a second time.

12 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Point taken, and agree completely.  Make the guys run hills or stadium steps or whatever, but if you're going to bench both staring corners, lets not start off on defense.  

Though fortunately we didn't choose to kick off but rather to defer.  We proved that you can kick off to start both halves a few years ago

Stagger the suspensions. 

1st quarter Boyd

2nd Davis 

22 hours ago, this said:

No questions on wanting to fist fight Gundy?

This is the worst kind of poster. He's a shit talking sooner fan who posted until October 5, then didn't show his face after we kicked their asses. Then he shows up to talk shit when we're losing to OSU. Fucking coward.

We have some good sooner posters here, but this isn't one of them. Cunt.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:58 PM, this said:

Block in the back, Texas got away. 

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:44 PM, Bruh Man said:

does this dipshit conference not realize they make $$$ when one of their teams makes the playoffs?

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:45 PM, this said:

That one team aint gonna be Texas. 

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:25 PM, this said:

Refs are now wanting Texas to win....LOL 

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:25 PM, this said:

It was on a different guy, which would've resulted into a safety. Texas got away

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:33 PM, this said:

Texas also reaped the benefit of call on holding on the wrong guy which would've been a safety. 

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:51 PM, this said:

LOLOL fuck these coaches.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:55 PM, this said:

Classless dipshit that is Herman!

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:58 PM, this said:

So no playoffs?

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:03 PM, this said:

Texas was also the beneficiary of some missed calls. The last hold was on a different player who was in the end zone which would've resulted into a safety. They completely missed it. 

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:14 PM, this said:

STFU Idiot, go to bed you're drunk.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:15 PM, this said:

Nothing questionable about it. They called it a hold, just on the wrong guy. 

22 hours ago, this said:

No questions on wanting to fist fight Gundy?

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

22 hours ago, Machinator said:

hold on just a minute...the fucking retard okie state posters on this board told me that they could only think of like two or three life-ending injuries because of their retarded ass stadium...and despite me showing them at least four times texas players alone have beeen injured on account of their idiotic fucking, piece of shit stadium...they said it will costs like "thousands of dollars" to fix it so who the fuck is going to do that craziness?

morons.

• Like 1

Ive no clue WTF you're 2008  reference is about other than we played and lost an NC game. So, is that success? Is this board full aggy now?
Nobody on this board was discussing play off spots and national championship implications on this board last week???
Odd, could have sworn I saw it.
Funny how much anger one comment from me has caused considering nobody on Surly was ever discussing play off national championship possibilities.
Whatever Derka
  • Fuck You 1

43 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Ive no clue WTF you're 2008  reference is about other than we played and lost an NC game. So, is that success? Is this board full aggy now?

Nobody on this board was discussing play off spots and national championship implications on this board last week???

Funny how much anger one comment from me has caused considering nobody on Surly was ever discussing play off national championship possibilities.

incredulous.gif

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

43 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

We lost in the national title game in 2009 buddy, not 2008.

In 2008 we went 12-1, didn't win the conference and didn't play for the national title because we got shafted by the BCS. By what you're saying, that season would be a failure, what you're saying is asinine. We can still mathematically finish the season 12-2 and win the conference, that would be a success.

• Like 1