2018-2019 MLB Offseason Thread

Beau Vine

11 hours ago, pops said:

He will replace jansen as the closer before the all Star break. 

HospitableThinDunlin-size_restricted.gif

Jansen is recovering from surgery to correct a heart condition that had weakened him last year.  I expect him to have recovered come April.

But it's nice to know Kelly is there.

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

HospitableThinDunlin-size_restricted.gif

Jansen is recovering from surgery to correct a heart condition that had weakened him last year.  I expect him to have recovered come April.

But it's nice to know Kelly is there.

You're probably right. I think they will use him more in the 7th and the 8th. I hope he has success there. Loved him in St Louis. Always seemed like he was on the edge of breaking through

KC signed Terrance Gore to a $650K/$350K split MLB deal. He’s out of options & won’t make the OD roster. Why can’t they divorce themselves from this guy? They sold him last year, now he’ll be a fairly rich AAA scrub. He has one more career hit than Beau. And if there’s exactly one thing KC needs more of, it’s fast guys that can’t hit. 

How did I not know he didn't have a hit until this past year?  He's been around 5 years now.  I don't get why he even plays the minor league seasons.  Can't he stay in shape at home and be ready to go pinch run for someone in the playoffs?

14 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Gather around, all of you --l-like-Harold-Reynolds dolts

https://streamable.com/7595e

https://streamable.com/1kh0o

i was watching when that happened but i was doing other stuff.  i had to rewind my dvr just to make sure i heard it correctly.

in his defense, slugging is one of those brand new sabermetric/moneyball/advanced analytics stats and you can only keep up with so much information.  right?

19 hours ago, Scraps said:

Trevor Cahill to the Angels for 1 yr 9 mil.  

Basically the same player as the hype machine Eovaldi last season 

#FlameAway 

yep. Eovaldi is one of the stranger cases of someone being overhyped recently. he's been the same guy his whole career; he throws gas; he's mediocre; he got hot late last season; that suddenly makes him a coveted FA?

career numbers: .454 win percentage, 4.16 era, 1.348 WHIP, 640 k in 850 IP. just staggering numbers. total dominance. 

Edited by Goo Punch

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

yep. Eovaldi is one of the stranger cases of someone being overhyped recently. he's been the same guy his whole career; he throws gas; he's mediocre; he got hot late last season; that suddenly makes him a coveted FA?

career numbers: .454 win percentage, 4.16 era, 1.348 WHIP, 640 k in 850 IP. just staggering numbers. total dominance. 

He started throwing a cutter last year which he didn’t throw with the Yankees. He’s different than this his career numbers would indicate 

• Like 1

I think there is more value in the Cahill signing than Eovaldi's, but 2018 was arguably the best season of Eovaldi's career (on a rate basis), and certainly his best since 2014.  He was not mediocre (there were maybe 30 SPs better than him last year on a rate basis).  He also significantly changed his pitch mix last season by upping his cutter usage, making it harder to contact his four-seam (probably through some tunneling effect).  His four-seam has typically underperformed its velocity, but last year he was able to get the SwStr% on that pitch over 10%, giving him three different double digit SwStr% pitches (not very many SPs can do this).  

Edited by Fozzz