2018-2019 MLB Offseason Thread

Beau Vine

9 hours ago, DanRydell said:

Yeah, they didn't get fleeced in the sense that the trade was imbalanced. Their return is much better than what they gave up. The return just isn't useful to their current situation unless their plan is to flip Puig, Wood, and Kemp during the season for prospects.

I know exactly what you're saying, and I don't disagree, but this trade makes the Reds better, and it's nice to see one of the many current shitty teams do something to make themselves better.  Like they used to do before the Astros introduced the New Rebuilding Model that has ruined MLB.  

Just now, Scraps said:
15 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:
No, the Cubs' rebuilding bottomed out at 101 losses, and they didn't even finish last in their division that season, because the fucking Astros lost 107.  

You sound butthurt

I once paid money for Astros tickets that season.  And made the drive.  Yer gotdam right I'm butthurt.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

I once paid money for Astros tickets that season.  And made the drive.  Yer gotdam right I'm butthurt.

That's on you.  Those years you could pay $10 to get in the door and walk down and sit 10 rows behind the dugout like you owned the place.

I think this gets closer to Beau's point.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/12/3/18123765/mariners-trade-jean-segura-robinson-cano-rebuild

It starts out about the Mariners but to me the point is:

What this binary world of contending or rebuilding robs us of, though, are raffle tickets with a chance to be the ‘01 Mariners. The ‘13 Giants definitely should have rebuilt, according to some of the idiots at the time, but they ended up becoming the ‘14 Giants. That was a year after the ‘12 Red Sox needed to give up and start all over, only to become the World Series-winning ‘13 Red Sox. Baseball used to be filled with teams that would try to push the boulder to the top again again, like a bunch of dummies, and actually get it there. A lot of them would fail, just as expected.

Some of them wouldn’t. I’ll miss those teams. When there was a middle class of baseball, there was a chance for magic. Now the magic is constantly, continually deferred. “Just give us three years, and we’ll be unstoppable,” says about every third team, pretending not to notice that the math is against them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Jonathan Lucroy, free agent catcher and Texas Rangers fan favorite, has agreed to a one year, $3.35M deal with the Anaheim Angels, per Jeff Passan. The deal reportedly has incentives that could make it worth up to $4 million.

Lucroy was considered one of the best catchers in baseball heading into the 2017 season, but a disastrous first half with Texas that year led to him being traded to Colorado in July. He signed with the A’s for the 2018 season, and put up an abysmal .241/.291/.325 slash line, with defensive metrics so poor that he ended up with a -0.7 bWAR.

Lucroy’s precipitous decline has been baffling, as he went from one of the best pitch-framers in baseball to one of the worst over the past two seasons, as well as seeing his offense crater. However, his reputation for working with pitchers is strong enough that he got a guaranteed deal with the Angels for 2019.

The word abysmal doesn’t get used enough. 

I have never personally watched a player make less solid contact than he did in ‘17. Pussy ground ball to 2B, pussy ground ball to SS, rinse & fucking repeat.