Make no mistake - Todd Orlando Fucking Sucks

Fat Bastard

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I don't think Orlando suddenly sucks. I think he has a mismatch of scheme and talent, along with a billion injuries. But our defense definitely sucks. 

it's his job to match talent and scheme, the job of any coach at any level in every sport. He's lazy, lacks imagination, and has no value. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, NowThis said:

it's his job to match talent and scheme, the job of any coach at any level in every sport. He's lazy, lacks imagination, and has no value. 

He didn't go from being an asset last year to having no value this year. He isn't the perfect coach, but he isn't terrible. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Get Orlando his guys, and then judge him. He's working with Charlie's rejects. We have little talent in the trenches, if at all. Our best on defense is Gary Johnson. Boyd and Davis either suck or are liabilities. We've recruited well for the DB's. We have two guys (so far) who will get legit playing time next season. Let's wait and see how well he is in year 3-4 when Charlie's recruits aren't squatting our scholly limits.

The fuck?
Charlie had a great many faults, but he did not leave the roster devoid of talent on defense. Roach is going to be a star but was hurt all year. Omenihu has been the best DL on the roster (damning with faint praise). The regression this year is due 100% to the loss of Charlie's guys -- Malik, Hill, Elliott, Ford. Sub Malik for Wheeler this year and Texas is a one-loss team. It's on the current staff for not convincing those guys to stay (not including Ford).

The defensive let downs have been alarming but they are almost entirely about the injuries and lack of depth rather than scheme and coaching. The biggest complaint I have with Orlando is the tendency to spot every opponent a free score on the opening drive while he waits to get aggressive until the final drive of the half.

• Like 3

The defensive let downs have been alarming but they are almost entirely about the injuries and lack of depth rather than scheme and coaching. The biggest complaint I have with Orlando is the tendency to spot every opponent a free score on the opening drive while he waits to get aggressive until the final drive of the half.

these 2 sentences contradict each other. 

42 minutes ago, Llogg said:

The fuck?
Charlie had a great many faults, but he did not leave the roster devoid of talent on defense. Roach is going to be a star but was hurt all year. Omenihu has been the best DL on the roster (damning with faint praise). The regression this year is due 100% to the loss of Charlie's guys -- Malik, Hill, Elliott, Ford. Sub Malik for Wheeler this year and Texas is a one-loss team. It's on the current staff for not convincing those guys to stay (not including Ford).

Davis and Boyd are also Charlie's recruits. Same with Hager and Chris Nelson,  and those who left the program. He recruited a few good ones, but let's not act like the cake was baked. If it were, we wouldn't be in such a shitty situation on D. Nelson had an "Injury" all camp the no one could figure out. Locke was also a strong recruit. Yes, he got a few good ones, but overall those who few who left were good, the majority sucks ass. And Roach a star? Lulz. Ok.

Edited by Spider2YBanana

8 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Davis and Boyd are also Charlie's recruits. Same with Hager and Chris Nelson,  and those who left the program. He recruited a few good ones, but let's not act like the cake was baked. If it were, we wouldn't be in such a shitty situation on D. Nelson had an "Injury" all camp the no one could figure out. Locke was also a strong recruit. Yes, he got a few good ones, but overall those who few who left were good, the majority sucks ass. And Roach a star? Lulz. Ok.

And if Davis is your 3rd corner and Boyd not assigned to single up the best WR b/c Hill is on that, then you've got a much better product. 

Strong's 2015 class had 12 defensive players:

Hager, Locke, Vasser, Cherry, Omenihu, Davis, Townsend, Elliott, Boyd, Wheeler, Hill, Jefferson. For this discussion disregard Vasser who was a juco and would not be eligible this season. Of the remaining 11 3 (Hill, Jefferson, Elliott) are in the NFL early b/c current staff didn't keep them. That's not on Strong. Another 3 are solid, if not spectacular, starters (Hager, Omenihu, and Boyd). Three are sub-par contributors (Davis, Locke, and Wheeler). One was a whiff (Townsend) and one was a headcase (Cherry).

Compare to Mack's 2004 class in which 4 of 8 defensive players were washouts (Palmer, Tatum, Redwine, Campbell) and two were solid (Bobino, Kelson), while two were studs (Okam and Lokey). I randomly picked this class, so not cherry picking. Feel free to do an exhaustive analysis of hit rates, but it really seems like Strong's hit rate on defensive recruits was at least average and probably better than average.

1 minute ago, Llogg said:

And if Davis is your 3rd corner and Boyd not assigned to single up the best WR b/c Hill is on that, then you've got a much better product. 

Strong's 2015 class had 12 defensive players:

Hager, Locke, Vasser, Cherry, Omenihu, Davis, Townsend, Elliott, Boyd, Wheeler, Hill, Jefferson. For this discussion disregard Vasser who was a juco and would not be eligible this season. Of the remaining 11 3 (Hill, Jefferson, Elliott) are in the NFL early b/c current staff didn't keep them. That's not on Strong. Another 3 are solid, if not spectacular, starters (Hager, Omenihu, and Boyd). Three are sub-par contributors (Davis, Locke, and Wheeler). One was a whiff (Townsend) and one was a headcase (Cherry).

Compare to Mack's 2004 class in which 4 of 8 defensive players were washouts (Palmer, Tatum, Redwine, Campbell) and two were solid (Bobino, Kelson), while two were studs (Okam and Lokey). I randomly picked this class, so not cherry picking. Feel free to do an exhaustive analysis of hit rates, but it really seems like Strong's hit rate on defensive recruits was at least average and probably better than average.

So three players in the NFL with a class of 15-20 players signed means he recruited well? Hager sucks. Boyd isn't great. Omenihu just got "good", and will be a late rd pick. Cherry bitched out. Locke sucks ass. Wheeler sucks ass. Davis is below average and is only starting because Cook isn't ready, and I would argue Cook did a better job than Davis he or injury against Okie Lite. Where's Townsend? Hill is elite. Elliott is not elite and went late in the draft for a reason. Jeff M hasn't done much. So Charlie basically recruited two elite guys in Malik and Hill. Elliot didn't so shit until Orlando made him, or else he would have been a bust. Herman and Orlando have recruited circles around defensive guru Charlie in one class. Roach being a star is laughable, and I'm being generous. What about Christmas-Giles? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

So three players in the NFL with a class of 15-20 players signed means he recruited well? Hager sucks. Boyd isn't great. Omenihu just got "good", and will be a late rd pick. Cherry bitched out. Locke sucks ass. Wheeler sucks ass. Davis is below average and is only starting because Cook isn't ready, and I would argue Cook did a better job than Davis he or injury against Okie Lite. Where's Townsend? Hill is elite. Elliott is not elite and went late in the draft for a reason. Jeff M hasn't done much. So Charlie basically recruited two elite guys in Malik and Hill. Elliot didn't so shit until Orlando made him, or else he would have been a bust. Herman and Orlando have recruited circles around defensive guru Charlie in one class. Roach being a star is laughable, and I'm being generous. What about Christmas-Giles? 

Davis is not below average, and he singlehandedly kept the game from spiraling out of control early with his interception and had a phenomenal sequence when he stripped Duffey, kept the ball in bounds and recovered it. He's a solid number 2 corner.

• Like 1

Just now, Machinator said:

Davis is not below average, and he singlehandedly kept the game from spiraling out of control early with his interception and had a phenomenal sequence when he stripped Duffey, kept the ball in bounds and recovered it. He's a solid number 2 corner.

One game doesn't negate the rest of his tenure at Texas. He played a good game, but other than that, he's been meh.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I don't think Orlando suddenly sucks. I think he has a mismatch of scheme and talent, along with a billion injuries. But our defense definitely sucks. 

So a billion injuries was what cause his little fucking gibbon brain to think to itself that a three man front was a good idea!   Yeah, no.  

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Harris is another of those guys that will surprise people when placed with a coach that knows how to coach.   He has the tools.  

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

How so? Starting slow is a different problem than collapsing in the fourth. I'm arguing that starting slow is a coaching problem but collapsing in the fourth is a depth problem.

he plays prevent defense most of the game, unless he feels the need to play tight (mid game).  He's scared of playing aggressive.  And the 2 sentences do contradict. 

I actually think we had a reasonably solid plan last night and had a good plan for defending how tech would try to attack us with their mobile backup qb. 

Would anyone have guessed tech would have 10 pts starting the fourth q after the last few weeks?

The problem is obviously the complete breakdown in the fourth, yet again.  I was watching with family and didn't see how many starters in the secondary were out for the fourth.  Sounds like a lot.  That's not a good recipe for success vs tech.

Point is, the defense didn't actually play poor for most of the game.  We broke down completely in the fourth with a lot of starters out, which is a really concerning recurring trend, but it's worth acknowledging the good plan and execution for the first three quarters. Backup qb or not, 10 points in three quarters vs tech is playing pretty damn well.  24 in one quarter obviously is not. 

4 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

Probably.  But it was the same guys playing in the first three quarters that only allowed 7 points that allowed 24 in the 4th.  

It wasn't, though. Did you watch the game? Did you see Chris Brown and of all players, Donovan Duvernay out there? Maybe even Cam Townsend?

After the last few years, pussies on this board have gotten used to taking the loss and smearing their vag fluids all over the board. So it is no surprise that even in a win in an adverse trap environment with half the starters and even some 2s out on defense, we were up by 17 and all they can do is bitch. Were mistakes made on defense? YES. Could the coaching have been better? Abso'fuckin'lutely! But cunting about it after non stop after a win only reveals the choad that you are. You are adding nothing to the conversation.

Edited by horn_of_the_morning

Just now, HuskiesHorns said:

I don't buy the injury excuse. if the 3rd stringers can't play their position then why are they even on the team?

Because we need bodies? because more than half the team is composed of players not recruited by the current coaching staff?

Edited by Machinator

16 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

Probably.  But it was the same guys playing in the first three quarters that only allowed 7 points that allowed 24 in the 4th.  

Points to a depth issue to me. But the auto score on the first drive does not. 

An untenable dichotomy for sure. 

19 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

The fourth quarters against OU, WV and TT were a joke.  I suppose I could believe the argument that our depth and injuries caused these collapses.  Or maybe not.  I don't see how it is not coaching.

But how much is that on Herman and the offensive staff (Beck) for not utilizing the same offensive game plan they used in the first three quarters in the forth?  We would of not made that game last night close in the 4th qtr and probably would of beaten WVU and not had to rely on Dicker the Kicker against OU Sucks had we played some simple ball control and ran the damn thing.  Last night, we had a 3rd  and short and we try a short pass and Sam overthrew it.  Why do that shit when we are moving the ball on the ground five, six, even seven yards a carry.  Same crap against WVU last week.  We were running the ball at will against them and instead of trying to chew more clock, we do stupid things that stoped the clock.  

This is no way an excuse for how piss poor our D has been the last few weeks, injuries not withstanding.  But on the bright side, no one in our conference can play D either.  We all look like Cougar High teams from the Jack Pardee era or Tech teams from the Leach era.  Defenses be damned, so we are fortuante in that regard.... I guess?????

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

So a billion injuries was what cause his little fucking gibbon brain to think to itself that a three man front was a good idea!   Yeah, no.  

Have you actually played football? Seriously, no internet tough guy stuff. I’m just asking?

Because conceptionally it is a viable strategy attempting to offset the advantage the offense currently possess in the Big 12 in terms of match ups. Especially when your defense is called on to defend over 80 offensive plays. 

Using ESPN stat set it shows on average a SEC college football team runs between 45 to 50 offensive plays per game. In the Big 12 that number goes up exponentially to over 70. As does the length of the games themselves due to the clock. In more simple terms by the time a Big12 team hits game 10, they have essentially played 15 games in total of a highly competitive nature. Including more drives in excess of 70 yards, and more then 40 first downs. inherently causing physical, psychological  and physiological problems for the player. In comparison the SEC player has played far fewer plays, and has the luxury of facing a couple of teams that don’t throw more then 10 times over 20 yards down field. Reducing the amount of energy required to cover the receiver.

This accumulative effort starts showing up in terms of arm tackles, missed assignments and a lot of standing around because of fatigue. So the three man front allows a DC to at least TRY to force the offensive player to expend the same amount of energy over the course of the game. Leading to poor routes, stopping short on blocks during run plays, and like their defensive counterparts, a lot of standing around. Hoping to get a stop late in the game, and allow their own offense to have possession at the most critical point of the game. And guess what? This is exactly what we seen over the last three weeks.

Even the best of players get tired. And to read on some of these threads where some couch jock cherry picks a play or two where a defensive player wiffed, was out of  position, or simply failed to give effort as a condemnation of said players skill level is sometimes totally off base. The damn guy was simply worn out playing a 5 hour game, over what amounts to a 15 game season. And still has games left.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, NowThis said:

no, cannot blame the players and not the scheme, then blame the scheme in the very next sentence.

What are you talking about? There have been two distinct problems with the defense: not being prepared early and fading in the 4th quarter. One is a coaching problem, the other is a lack of depth problem. It's pretty fucking basic.

2 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

One game doesn't negate the rest of his tenure at Texas. He played a good game, but other than that, he's been meh.

Your observations are generally pretty terrible and you are doing a great job of keeping that streak alive. 

Texas is ranked behind Kansas in defense despite starting 3, 5 star players in the secondary. Not to mention the truckload of blue chip top 100 in the state players around them. Are you suggesting we do not match Kansas in talent on defense? 

Edited by Newy25

57 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

Have you actually played football? Seriously, no internet tough guy stuff. I’m just asking?

Because conceptionally it is a viable strategy attempting to offset the advantage the offense currently possess in the Big 12 in terms of match ups. Especially when your defense is called on to defend over 80 offensive plays. 

Using ESPN stat set it shows on average a SEC college football team runs between 45 to 50 offensive plays per game. In the Big 12 that number goes up exponentially to over 70. As does the length of the games themselves due to the clock. In more simple terms by the time a Big12 team hits game 10, they have essentially played 15 games in total of a highly competitive nature. Including more drives in excess of 70 yards, and more then 40 first downs. inherently causing physical, psychological  and physiological problems for the player. In comparison the SEC player has played far fewer plays, and has the luxury of facing a couple of teams that don’t throw more then 10 times over 20 yards down field. Reducing the amount of energy required to cover the receiver.

This accumulative effort starts showing up in terms of arm tackles, missed assignments and a lot of standing around because of fatigue. So the three man front allows a DC to at least TRY to force the offensive player to expend the same amount of energy over the course of the game. Leading to poor routes, stopping short on blocks during run plays, and like their defensive counterparts, a lot of standing around. Hoping to get a stop late in the game, and allow their own offense to have possession at the most critical point of the game. And guess what? This is exactly what we seen over the last three weeks.

Even the best of players get tired. And to read on some of these threads where some couch jock cherry picks a play or two where a defensive player wiffed, was out of  position, or simply failed to give effort as a condemnation of said players skill level is sometimes totally off base. The damn guy was simply worn out playing a 5 hour game, over what amounts to a 15 game season. And still has games left.

Hold on--I didn't read that wall of text, but 70 plays is not exponentially more than 50.

32 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Your observations are generally pretty terrible and you are doing a great job of keeping that streak alive. 

Texas is ranked behind Kansas in defense despite starting 3, 5 star players in the secondary. Not to mention the truckload of blue chip top 100 in the state players around them. Are you suggesting we do not match Kansas in talent on defense? 

No, I'm suggesting maybe those were over inflated because they got the benefit of the doubt for being good in high school.  Cam Townsend was a 4* who's now at Lamar. Erick Fowler is at SHSU... See a trend? Why aren't these guys that transferred not at a bigger schools? Maybe because they're overrated. As hard as it is for you to grasp, rankings don't always translate to success. Oh, and those 3 five stars? 2 are fucking freshmen. Wtf? Did you expect them to be the defensive equivalent of Adrian Peterson on defense?

Do you want another DC to not get it done in yewr 2? Do you think that's going to magically fix this shit show? Get  a grip.

Edited by Spider2YBanana

48 minutes ago, Llogg said:

What are you talking about? There have been two distinct problems with the defense: not being prepared early and fading in the 4th quarter. One is a coaching problem, the other is a lack of depth problem. It's pretty fucking basic.

yupp.  with the exception of usc and to some degree roach, this has been the pattern in every other game.  *always* conceed 7 on their first possession and roll the dice as to whether or not we are going to hold on.  i've never seen a football team this close to winning and losing.  except the '15 team which was also less than a score either way, but was losing instead of winning.

40 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Oh, and most of the defensive end and tackles are 3* kids that are playing like their ranking. The kids who left were 4 star and higher. So you want Orlando to suddenly be a magician with average players in a pass happy league. We have one starting CB who was a 4 star, and he's hardly great. The other starter is a 3 star. Locke is a 3 star. The starting safeties are 5 stars, and 2 are FRESHMEN. Go take a look at the roster and tell tell me who you think is worth their weight at a school like Texas. Omenihu is doing his part, but that's about it. These kids can't tackle because they're not very good against better talent and scheme. We're recruiting better players. What the fuck are you babbling about?

Orlandos 3 biggest weaknesses.

1. His love for the 3 man DL. This is because he loves it and maybe our lake of depth. Hager is way undersized for this role, but works his ass off and it gets him out of position.

2. The lack of overall depth on this defense. Per another post earlier. Its amazing how J. Elliot, Daniels, Giles and whoever else has flamed out. Glad to see them gone, but there are consequences.

3. Starting a bunch freshmen running around in the secondary against Tech or any big 12 team this day in time. Its going to be embarrassing until they get traction. Injuries have limits on what he can do. That's why we keep seeing so much cushion from the corners. No trust over the top. Tech has a couple of WRs that will be playing Sundays. 

Just glad we where able to pull that one out last night. Typically we have been losing those.

• Like 4