Make no mistake - Todd Orlando Fucking Sucks

Fat Bastard

i don't think todd orlando sucks, and in fact he has a pretty decent track record that says he doesn't suck. and the fact is that less than a year ago when he had holton hill, poona ford, deshon elliott, malik jefferson, et al our fan base was begging for the man to stay, praying to the gods that herman could keep him on our staff, lest he be lured away with a head coaching offer. so let's keep that in mind before we do what we always do and completely nuclear after a one point loss.

i think that charlie strong left some talented upperclassmen with less than zero depth behind them, and i think that any coordinator would struggle to stop big xii offenses with a d line as invisible and inept as ours. we certainly need to upgrade all along the defensive front, there's no doubt about that, but orlando is a good coach who just isn't doing his best job this season. how much of that is on him and how much is on the sheer lack of talent and depth i don't know, but i'd bet good money that says if we had, say, the 2008 defensive line, that nobody would be complaining about todd orlando.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 10
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i don't think todd orlando sucks, and in fact he has a pretty decent track record that says he doesn't suck. and the fact is that less than a year ago when he had holton hill, poona ford, deshon elliott, malik jefferson, et al our fan base was begging for the man to stay, praying to the gods that herman could keep him on our staff, lest he be lured away with a head coaching offer. so let's keep that in mind before we do what we always do and completely nuclear after a one point loss.

i think that charlie strong left some talented upperclassmen with less than zero depth behind them, and i think that any coordinator would struggle to stop big xii offenses with a d line as invisible and inept as ours. we certainly need to upgrade all along the defensive front, there's no doubt about that, but orlando is a good coach who just isn't doing his best job this season. how much of that is on him and how much is on the sheer lack of talent and depth i don't know, but i'd bet good money that says if we had, say, the 2008 defensive line, that nobody would be complaining about todd orlando.

Well I'm sure whoever Iowa States d coordinator/coach was, left them with so much talent with all their Top 10 recruiting classes.  Gave up 14 to the same team.  Stop making excuses.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

This^

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NowThis said:

watching bama play a 3 man DL but guess what? The DBs are within 1-2 yards of the WR everywhere. 

They generally play a 3-4 which you could never get away with in the big 12. And in a 3-4 the 2 outside LB’s are generally setting the edge so that leaves less gaps for the 3 interior lineman to maintain. So a lot of times it looks like you have 5 guys at the LOS when the ball is snapped. 

Don’t disagree but still don’t understand Herman saying last year and this year that he felt great about the DL. It’s obvious we are small and not very talented there.

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Don’t disagree but still don’t understand Herman saying last year and this year that he felt great about the DL. It’s obvious we are small and not very talented there.

Probably a ploy to keep Nelson from transferring. Desperation. 

2 punts all game. Fucking pathetic. Only good thing was to see just how incredibly pissed LJH was after the game. They care at least

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

that is a mistake.

Our defense is exactly as bad as you would expect from the personnel available.

Our defense right now is made up of really young guys with a high ceiling and experienced journeymen.

Orlando runs a risky defense that tries to make lots of negative plays at the expense of giving up big plays

WVU is really, really good on offense. They exposed us. This isn't Orlando's fault; he's putting the players in position to make plays, and they just weren't making them because the personnel just aren't that good this year.

re: the ability to game plan and call a win vs. "putting guys in position to make plays"....

I agree with Rimbo.  On Defense, the quality of personnel and their ability to execute are far more important than what the coach dials up.  Orlando was great last year with better personnel.  He'll be great next year when these seniors are gone.

• Like 1

I don't know any defense that would be content to give up 8+ yards a carry.

If we have personnel issues, we need to get more bodies up front then. Make them throw the ball to win. Get Locke and Wheeler off the field and try to limit big plays in the passing game. 

15 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Well I'm sure whoever Iowa States d coordinator/coach was, left them with so much talent with all their Top 10 recruiting classes.  Gave up 14 to the same team.  Stop making excuses.

I know this hurts to say, but Texas is NOT measurably better than Iowa State on defense this year in terms of talent.  In fact, I would argue that quite possibly the opposite is true.

Face it, accept it, and change it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Voice of reason.

Orlando went from being a God to total loser in the space of a few games.

• Like 2

we've given up over 1000 hards and what 80-90 points in the last 2 games?  both games were winnable and we lost because a slow QB walked into the endzone both times.  this 3 DL defense needs to end today.  it's not effective.  we don't have the DL or LBs for it.  we used the dime package last year and had success with it... not so much this year.  I tweak the scheme a bit this week if I'm Herman.  Tech will torch us if we don't.

CB:  Boyd  S:  Sterns  S:  Jones  CB:  Davis/Cook

Nickel:  Foster/Thompson  LB:  Shark  LB:  Johnson

DE:  Roach  DT:  Wilbon  DT:  Nelson  DE:  Omenihu

Take away the run on 1st and 2nd down 4 DL and then switch to your dime/lightening package on 3rd and long.  just seems stupid to run our 3-2-6 defense all game long.  

Edited by victory88
  • Like 5

I thought a lot of the problems last week were on the players who exhibited a clear lack of focus and preparation for the game. Last week was a teachable moment for this coaching staff in terms of tackling technique, alignment and assignment football. There was no improvement from last week to this week in any of those regards. Todd Orlando flat out failed this week and today.

• Like 1

we've given up over 1000 hards and what 80-90 points in the last 2 games?  both games were winnable and we lost because a slow QB walked into the endzone both times.  this 3 DL defense needs to end today.  it's not effective.  we don't have the DL or LBs for it.  we used the dime package last year and had success with it... not so much this year.  I tweak the scheme a bit this week if I'm Herman.  Tech will torch us if we don't.
CB:  Boyd  S:  Sterns  S:  Jones  CB:  Davis/Cook
Nickel:  Foster/Thompson  LB:  Shark  LB:  Johnson
DE:  Roach  DT:  Wilbon  DT:  Nelson  DE:  Omenihu
Take away the run on 1st and 2nd down 4 DL and then switch to your dime/lightening package on 3rd and long.  just seems stupid to run our 3-2-6 defense all game long.  

I totally agree, well said. We are getting zero pressure on our opponents’ QBs
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I’m not sure but maybe having 4 starters unexpectedly go down may have had something to do with the shitty D today? Brandon Jones being out was a killer, would have cleaned up a lot of those long runs.

What about all the long runs last week when we had all of our starters?  When the running back goes untouched into the 2nd level every time, it's because of scheme.  We saw Robinson fix this in a matter of 2 weeks after Manny was fired.  Orlando needs to simplify this shit and have them play base defense.  We probably give up fewer points playing vanilla base defense than this shitt delayed blitzing 3 DL scheme.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

2012-09-10-Tower-Lights-nathan-goldsmith

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I disagree.  Our line and linebackers are all upper classmen.  Omenihu, Nelson, Johnson, Wheeler, Hagar (when he's in he sucks), Wilbon?, etc...  

How the hell is the defense geared for negative plays when we didn't have any - save a couple of RB tackles behind the line?  No sacks.  Almost no QB pressure.  WVU is good at offense.  They scored, what?, 14 against Iowa State?

Doncha know we are part of all QB Hesiman highlight reels. Mountain Man Grier is back on the freaking list. 

Edited by NameWithHeld

Agree completely with scrapping the 3 down linemen. Even bring a safety on a blitz they aren’t getting QB pressure and aren’t stopping the run. Last 2 weeks QBs have had forever to pick apart the defense. Made the OSU Qb look like all conference. 

There's been a lot of criticism of the d-line. They weren't the problem today. The linebackers were terrible, as were the safeties. The d-line is supposed to eat up blocks and allow the line backers to make plays. But they are doubling the tackle and end to the play side and our linebackers and safeties consistently take themselves out of the play or miss tackles. Our scheme is designed to funnel plays to the weakest unit on the team. I'm sure Tech and ISU will build off of what OSU and WVU ran against us. I not at all sure that Orlando will have a response. 

• Like 2

Agree completely with scrapping the 3 down linemen. Even bring a safety on a blitz they aren’t getting QB pressure and aren’t stopping the run. Last 2 weeks QBs have had forever to pick apart the defense. Made the OSU Qb look like all conference. 

Exactly, and fucking Baylor beat mighty OSU today. The same Baylor we barely escaped

8 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

There's been a lot of criticism of the d-line. They weren't the problem today. The linebackers were terrible, as were the safeties. The d-line is supposed to eat up blocks and allow the line backers to make plays. But they are doubling the tackle and end to the play side and our linebackers and safeties consistently take themselves out of the play or miss tackles. Our scheme is designed to funnel plays to the weakest unit on the team. I'm sure Tech and ISU will build off of what OSU and WVU ran against us. I not at all sure that Orlando will have a response. 

I agree that the DL wasn't the problem, to the extent that they mostly do their assignment even if they don't blow anything up...

Of course it is easy to not be "the problem" when the linebacker play this season has been woeful, with not much doin' over at nickel, and the safeties looking lost at least half the time.

1 hour ago, Tx_2_Sc85 said:

They generally play a 3-4 which you could never get away with in the big 12. And in a 3-4 the 2 outside LB’s are generally setting the edge so that leaves less gaps for the 3 interior lineman to maintain. So a lot of times it looks like you have 5 guys at the LOS when the ball is snapped. 

I'm sure Alabama could get away with it.  

What about all the long runs last week when we had all of our starters?  When the running back goes untouched into the 2nd level every time, it's because of scheme.  We saw Robinson fix this in a matter of 2 weeks after Manny was fired.  Orlando needs to simplify this shit and have them play base defense.  We probably give up fewer points playing vanilla base defense than this shitt delayed blitzing 3 DL scheme.

Agree that we need to simplify and play more base D. Orlando likes to get too cute sometimes.

If B Jones plays I think we win that game though.

Personnel shortcomings exist, sure. But we are doing nothing to mitigate them. We are presenting a 5 man box with adequate DL talent at best and Anthony Wheeler at a linebacker spot. And then we don't even use the alignment to take the short passing game away because we line up at least two DBs in man coverage 8 yards off the receiver and have them backpedal at the snap on 90% of our defensive plays. And we have PJ Locke at a critical position in the defense.

Our defensive design basically gives up 5 yard per play for free unless the offense busts an assignment or our DL actually penetrates which happens once in a blue moon. That is all on Orlando.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, runthebone said:

I'm sure Alabama could get away with it.  

Nah. The spread passing teams in this league would get mismatches with their inside LBs and they’d give up chunks of yards. Might be a lil tougher to move it on them in the red zone. But if you made those big guys run all game there would be plenty of plays to be made. Of course they’d probably change their defensive packages for that game and roll out in Orlan_o’s 3-2-6 and shut whoever down.