Make no mistake - Todd Orlando Fucking Sucks

Fat Bastard

5 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Well I'm sure whoever Iowa States d coordinator/coach was, left them with so much talent with all their Top 10 recruiting classes.  Gave up 14 to the same team.  Stop making excuses.

I'm not making excuses. That our personnel is weak doesn't mean our staff gets a pass. I think our staff is mediocre. But when three guys are in position to make a play and each one misses, the coaches put them where they needed to be not to give up a 55-yard TD.

Yeah @ATLLonghorn I saw the same you did. And this is a consistent problem with our team. We have had assignment/gap control issues all year long. So fucking frustrating that Shark has  to know he has outside contain, which is exactly where we want the QB to go because he will be a free hitter. It’s fucking frustrating watching this shit. 

The only thing I can attribute it to is the coaches not teaching more discipline team wide. I mean, with the silly delay of game penalties and false starts, to lining up offsides and players being late... it’s clear there is a lack of discipline instilled from the top down.  Too many of the things we see should have been cleaned up by now.  I refuse to believe these guys are too fucking stupid to understand concepts and responsibility. But it has to be coached, and what is seemingly being coached is that it’s more important to be aggressive, than it is to be disciplined. 

There is no one simple answer, but to me the most glaring problem is our miserable LB play. I re-watched several key plays and in each the LB's were totally out of place/shooting the wrong gap/ineffective. Most of the posters in this thread have ragged on either the 3-DL scheme or the quality of the DL personnel (or both), but to me the fault lies almost 100% with the LB's.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TheYoungHorn said:

For those hating on the 3-down look, you do realize this is the exact recipe Iowa State used to destroy the very same offense Texas faced today: 

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2018/10/19/17999866/how-iowa-state-obliterated-west-virginia-matt-campbell-dana-holgorsen-will-grier-pump-fake-purdy

Not all 3-3-5's are alike. It all depends on how many bodies you commit to the box. Texas seems to like to be light in the box and it shows to the tune of 413 yards rushing given up in the last two games. Play Texas and opponents know what they are getting. A light box. Zone defense unless you go 3x1 and then they will leave Boyd on an island while zoning up the other side.

Edited by Thatguy

It’s true that Iowa St runs a similar basic defense to Texas. I can’t understand how their nose and DE’s are able to get penetration and clog the running lanes, and we can’t.

As opposed to running a 4-2, maybe Giles is the problem. We’ve heard he’s a good developer of talent (we know he’s not a good recruiter). Maybe they start there with changes.

Well I just don't know if it is scheme, players or coaches.  I do know that this defense is just average to below average and playing like shit now.  Texas Tech will probably wreck this squad but I just don't care anymore.  Numb from the last few years and my give a fuck meter is empty.

Don't think next year this defense will be any better and probably worse with the players we lose.

• Like 1

Yeah [mention=1463]ATLLonghorn[/mention] I saw the same you did. And this is a consistent problem with our team. We have had assignment/gap control issues all year long. So fucking frustrating that Shark has  to know he has outside contain, which is exactly where we want the QB to go because he will be a free hitter. It’s fucking frustrating watching this shit. 
The only thing I can attribute it to is the coaches not teaching more discipline team wide. I mean, with the silly delay of game penalties and false starts, to lining up offsides and players being late... it’s clear there is a lack of discipline instilled from the top down.  Too many of the things we see should have been cleaned up by now.  I refuse to believe these guys are too fucking stupid to understand concepts and responsibility. But it has to be coached, and what is seemingly being coached is that it’s more important to be aggressive, than it is to be disciplined. 

The last portion is where I am. They play too aggressively and it causes them to be out of position. Klatt made this comment when Locke had a guy positioned for a 4-5 yard loss but committed too early and missed.
WVU player then gained about 11 yards.
Couple that with soft coverage on the outside and asking guys that have shown they are having trouble making open field tackles and you have a recipe for disaster.

Well I just don't know if it is scheme, players or coaches.  I do know that this defense is just average to below average and playing like shit now.  Texas Tech will probably wreck this squad but I just don't care anymore.  Numb from the last few years and my give a fuck meter is empty.
Don't think next year this defense will be any better and probably worse with the players we lose.

I was thinking about the defense for next year after last night’s game. Feels like we are going to waste another year of Sam if they are not able to find some gems in the JUCO ranks for immediate help.

2 minutes ago, Capn81 said:

I was thinking about the defense for next year after last night’s game. Feels like we are going to waste another year of Sam if they are not able to find some gems in the JUCO ranks for immediate help.

You are correct.  I don't really see much in terms of depth on the d line.  Herman better get his ass on the road and visit every Juco and high school defensive lineman he can because we need some help pronto.  Need everything else on the d also so this should be a priority on signing day.

20 minutes ago, MOODY said:

Username checks out. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Wheeler and Locke should not see the field again.  They've both proven to be huge liabilities.

Jones being out today was noticeable.  

Sterns seems to have regressed considerably.  His angles are terrible and his tackling is poor.  He also gets burned quite often.

Tackling across the board is really bad.  So many missed tackles and giving up significant yards after first contact.  There is some young, undisciplined talent on this team and some veteran, undisciplined lack of talent on this defense.  Maybe most troubling, zero leadership on the D.  

• Like 2

the gw pass was a beautiful dime at EZ edge, ball traveled about 50 yards in the air against 2 true FR dbs - the mattress brothers Sterns and Foster. Foster was outrun by the WR and Sterns turned too late and too was outrun. Stern's didn't get his arms up but wouldn't have mattered. Both DBs were just a split second too slow to turn their hips and go up field, givng 2-3 yard separation for the WR.  But the pass was Brady/Rodgers deadly accurate, damn why does UT face so many amazing QBs??  

see at the 5:57 point 

10 minutes ago, HuskiesHorns said:

My first thought after waking up was I hate Todd Orlano's fucking face.

All the steroids he used to do have made him ugly and stupid.

Not a fan of ex-players being coaches anyway.

Former DB from Kent State Nick Saban says HELLO....

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

5 minutes ago, NowThis said:

the gw pass was a beautiful dime at EZ edge, ball traveled about 50 yards in the air against 2 true FR dbs - the mattress brothers Sterns and Foster. Foster was outrun by the WR and Sterns turned too late and too was outrun. Stern's didn't get his arms up but wouldn't have mattered. Both DBs were just a split second too slow to turn their hips and go up field, givng 2-3 yard separation for the WR.  But the pass was Brady/Rodgers deadly accurate, damn why does UT face so many amazing QBs??  

see at the 5:57 point 

That was thompson not foster

15 minutes ago, HuskiesHorns said:

My first thought after waking up was I hate Todd Orlano's fucking face.

All the steroids he used to do have made him ugly and stupid.

Not a fan of ex-players being coaches anyway.

Uh, naw I’m just gonna let it go.

8 hours ago, taybo20 said:

The LBs are definitely not being taught correctly. They definitely tend to be out of position and I’ve seen it way too much this year. 

For lack of a better way to describe it, on one of the touchdowns Wheeler just allowed himself to get blocked. Ran right into it. Didn't do anything to try and shed it or beat. Allowed himself to get blocked. It's maddening.

I was expecting a step back on defense given the talent we lost. I’ve been disappointed with the lack of development of our personnel though. Which players have actually improved this season?  Boyd?  Jones?  

The combination of turnover and lack of development this year could spell disaster next season. 

43 minutes ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

Wheeler and Locke should not see the field again.  They've both proven to be huge liabilities.

Sterns seems to have regressed considerably.  His angles are terrible and his tackling is poor.  He also gets burned quite often.

Tackling across the board is really bad.  So many missed tackles and giving up significant yards after first contact.  There is some young, undisciplined talent on this team and some veteran, undisciplined lack of talent on this defense.  Maybe most troubling, zero leadership on the D.  

Agreed. But too often these situations are happening one on one. We are out of position and can’t swarm to the ball. They have Todd so fucking spread out when we lose a one on one battle it’s always for a huge play. 

Hardest tackle on D. Let’s not make that our staple 

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

It’s true that Iowa St runs a similar basic defense to Texas. I can’t understand how their nose and DE’s are able to get penetration and clog the running lanes, and we can’t.

As opposed to running a 4-2, maybe Giles is the problem. We’ve heard he’s a good developer of talent (we know he’s not a good recruiter). Maybe they start there with changes.

Iowa State runs an Okie front and two-gaps.  They don't get penetration by design.  They commit two bodies to every gap, and stone wall you.

Quite simply, we don't have the personnel to run an Eagle front.  The players we have were recruited for an Under front.  Hager is a stand-up 9. Shark is a stand-up 9. Wheeler is a B-Gap Mike.  Roach is a 7.

And we went 2 years under Strong with zero DT commits, and we now run a system that wants 3 DTs or large SDEs with a roster full of edge-rushers.

Edited by JBJ

27 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Agreed. But too often these situations are happening one on one. We are out of position and can’t swarm to the ball. They have Todd so fucking spread out when we lose a one on one battle it’s always for a huge play. 

Hardest tackle on D. Let’s not make that our staple 

That's what spread offenses do. Miss a tackle in space and it usually leads to a chunk play if not more. Our guys are lunging their bodies to try and make tackles and it usually leads to poor results. At the very least, they need to keep the ball carrier in front of them long enough for help to arrive.

I think Sterns may be playing injured. Only way to explain his regression.

10 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Or even a standout interior DL. Poona would have ridden the bench if he'd been here between, oh, 2001-2010.

I don't know if I buy that since Poona was a beast last year. He did not get drafted because people under estimated the guy. I think you have done the same with your post.

Despite letting Jennings get beat on the last TD, Sterns is much better deep against the pass than he is coming up to stop the run.  He is the opposite of B Jones.  Also remember it took B Jones until his 3rd year to take good angles.  Sterns will be fine, but he has hit the freshman wall.

Malik last year was able to make the plays required of the Mac linebacker.  Remember how often we showed a light box and invited the run, and somehow still stopped it for minimal gain.  The defensive structure is capable of working, but right now it is not.  That is on both the players and the coaches.

The problem for the coaches is they have repped this scheme and not other schemes.  If you decide to scrap it and go to something else, it isn't guaranteed to work.  4 DL might help, but it also might cause more mistakes as gap responsibilities have changed.

Having said that, I hope the coaches realize that Tech and ISU are perfectly capable of exploiting the current defense.  At least make Kliff beat you with something other than 7 ypc on the ground.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

In 2008 our DL rotation was Brian Orakpo, Sergio Kindle, Lamarr Houston, Roy Miller, Henry Melton, Sam Acho, and Kheeston Randall.

In 2005 our DL rotation was Tim Crowder, Brian Robison, Rod Wright, Frank Okam, Larry Dibbles, Brian Orakpo and Roy Miller.

In 2000 our DL rotation was Casey Hampton, Shaun Rogers, Marcus Tubbs, Corey Redding, Kalen Thornton, plus a couple of other guys I can’t remember.

We had a full starting DL plus a few backups who were NFL players when we were good.   We now have Charles Omenihu as a mid to late round draft prospect, and other bodies.

I think that’s pretty much it.  

3 hours ago, JBJ said:

Iowa State runs an Okie front and two-gaps.  They don't get penetration by design.  They commit two bodies to every gap, and stone wall you.

Quite simply, we don't have the personnel to run an Eagle front.  The players we have were recruited for an Under front.  Hager is a stand-up 9. Shark is a stand-up 9. Wheeler is a B-Gap Mike.  Roach is a 7.

And we went 2 years under Strong with zero DT commits, and we now run a system that wants 3 DTs or large SDEs with a roster full of edge-rushers.

Ok, this makes so much sense to me. Yet, when you look at the 2018 commitments, we got only took Coburn, Ossai, Ojomo and Carson, with Williams as a question mark because of his size. I didn't understand then, and still don't understand now, why we didn't find 1 or 2 more, either from Juco, graduate or high school.  It was obvious to me that our DE's were too small, and that we were too thin at nose. Nelson is average, and the three of the four behind him are below average (except maybe Coburn).  We didn't do enough to fix the lines, either OL or DL. We certainly added quite a bit, but in my opinion 1-2 guys short per line.