Ladies and Gentlemen.....THE ROLLING STONES!!

Delta Charlie

Even Bush had a cover on Letterman or something that I like.  It's from the height of their popularity and instead of playing one of their own Nirvana rip-offs they were just like "nah, we're doing the greatest fucking song of all time".

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Deej said:

Gram was a huge influence during that period. 

Absolutely.  I'm not quite exactly sure on the timing of him and Keef becoming buds, and if it precedes Beggar's (which is IMO their first real foray into country) or if he showed up prior to LIB.  Either way, their friendship took Keef way down the rabbit hole and gave rise to the best country music ever made by people who weren't from North America.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

12 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

oh, I think it's clear that Mick is the greatest frontman ever. 

Who's better?  

That's such a matter of taste.  I'd say Rod Stewart and David Lee Roth are in the conversation.  Then there are guys like Prince and James Brown who were the whole draw -- I don't know if they're "frontmen" per se.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I wouldn't call Prince (or any solo artist) a front man.

Mick's the goat on the front.  I think Plant, Daltrey, DLR, Bon Scott are all in the conversation, but it's absolutely Mick.  I love Rod and the Faces, but he was onto the solo thing so quickly that I don't view him really as a front man even though he was for a couple of years.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

I have a theory, based partly on reading Keith’s autobiography, that Mick and Keith have lived a life that few if any others in human history have been able to live.

Better than filthy rich billionaires because they are worshiped and they still have plenty of money. Better than real royalty or political leaders because they don’t have the responsibility to lead, but they are absolutely cultural royalty. Worshiped all over the world, literally everyone you meet will fall all themselves to do whatever you want/need/etc. There is no place you go that you aren’t the coolest person in the room. And all you have to do in return is rock. They were among the first true rockstars, probably the biggest ever, and managed to keep it going for what 60 years?

Just trying to think of anyone else in human history who’s had that kind of life experience. Not many.

• Hook 'Em 3

I have a theory, based partly on reading Keith’s autobiography, that Mick and Keith have lived a life that few if any others in human history have been able to live.

Better than filthy rich billionaires because they are worshiped and they still have plenty of money. Better than real royalty or political leaders because they don’t have the responsibility to lead, but they are absolutely cultural royalty. Worshiped all over the world, literally everyone you meet will fall all themselves to do whatever you want/need/etc. There is no place you go that you aren’t the coolest person in the room. And all you have to do in return is rock. They were among the first true rockstars, probably the biggest ever, and managed to keep it going for what 60 years?

Just trying to think of anyone else in human history who’s had that kind of life experience. Not many.
The only thing that comes close is Jerry Garcia, and Bobby by extension and longevity.
Indeed.
My wife still says it's her tio show. It's probably top 5 for me, easy, if not higher.

I know some people hate Far Away Eyes because they feel like it's mocking country music, but I just can't relate to that.  The Stones clearly loved country music, and they loved it so much they made it better than a litany of American artists that actually call themselves country artists.

IMO their top 5 Country Songs are as follows:

Dead Flowers

Wild Horses

Let It Bleed

Far Away Eyes

Sweet Virginia

That can go shoulder to shoulder with a lot of the greats of country's top 5, and I say that as an avid fan of country music.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I know some people hate Far Away Eyes because they feel like it's mocking country music, but I just can't relate to that.  The Stones clearly loved country music, and they loved it so much they made it better than a litany of American artists that actually call themselves country artists.

IMO their top 5 Country Songs are as follows:

Dead Flowers

Wild Horses

Let It Bleed

Far Away Eyes

Sweet Virginia

That can go shoulder to shoulder with a lot of the greats of country's top 5, and I say that as an avid fan of country music.

We're they mocking country music when they played "Bob Wills is StillThe King" at Zilker? I think not..

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 10:01 PM, dcbc said:

I just rolled into Exile.  Just tremendous from playing to production.  Everyting from 1968--1972 from them is next level by any standard of that time period or this one.  

I once said that if anyone released anything approaching Full Moon Fever today, it would blow people's minds. But even though it was tremendous, even in its time, there were a lot of good albums back then, and we were used to it.  Looking at it restrospectively, really makes me appreciate how good the overall level of music was in the 20th century.  

1971 maybe the greatest rock album year ever.  Here are 20.  fight me...

1. What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
  2. Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin
  3. Who's Next - The Who
  4. Blue - Joni Mitchell
  5. There's A Riot Goin' On - Sly And The Family Stone
  6. Tapestry - Carole King
  7. Sticky Fingers - The Rolling Stones
  8. L.A. Woman - The Doors
  9. At Fillmore East - The Allman Brothers Band
10. Imagine - John Lennon
11. Hunky Dory - David Bowie
12. Aqualung - Jethro Tull
13. Fragile - Yes
14. Electric Warrior - T-Rex
15. Pearl - Janis Joplin
16. Every Picture Tells A Story - Rod Stewart
17. Maggot Brain - Funkadelic
18. Master Of Reality - Black Sabbath
19. American Pie - Don McClean
20. Meddle - Pink Floyd

others - Cry of Love Hendrix, Madman Across the Water Elton John, Low Spark of High Heeled Boys Traffic,  Tupelo Honey Van Morrison

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/29/2024 at 9:11 AM, jimmyjazz said:

That's such a matter of taste.  I'd say Rod Stewart and David Lee Roth are in the conversation.  Then there are guys like Prince and James Brown who were the whole draw -- I don't know if they're "frontmen" per se.

IF you were lucky enough to see the first couple years of Van Halen touring, Roth was simply electric onstage.  Unfortunately he went the way of many bald rockers...

This is WAAAAAY out of left field, but David Johansen was a pretty great front man for the New York Dolls.  But Mick is still the GOAT is simply for longevity.

-------------

What is funny as fuck to me about the Stones, is that in 1981 I was so concerned that this might be the last opportunity to see Keith Richards that my roommate and I hit both the Houston and Dallas shows.  It was pretty awesome with The T-Birds and ZZ Top as the openers, and glad as fuck we got the blue sky Sunday Dallas show instead of the rainy Halloween show.  But how many rockers has what at the time I considered the highest risk rocker buried since then?  Hell my daughters are immortalized with some front row video shots from their 2005 Austin show. It was awesome for them, awesome for me, and I taught them a two fold lesson the next day after arriving home past 1 am.  

That "when you play, you gotta pay!"  And that, what good is going to school a day later and saying how awesome you are and showing off your Rolling Stones guitar pick?

Anyhow yes... go see the Stones if you get a chance.  One of these days Keith won't have Mick as a sidekick... 😉

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, horn4life said:

IF you were lucky enough to see the first couple years of Van Halen touring, Roth was simply electric onstage.

I did:  April 28, 1979 @ The Checkerdome (St. Louis).  Of course Eddie was brilliant, but DLR was phenomenal.  To this day, he remains the best I've seen (and I've seen Jagger, although that was in the 90s).

image.png.7cf60866bd67ddda1748f0b0df8b2104.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I did:  April 28, 1979 @ The Checkerdome (St. Louis).  Of course Eddie was brilliant, but DLR was phenomenal.  To this day, he remains the best I've seen (and I've seen Jagger, although that was in the 90s).

image.png.7cf60866bd67ddda1748f0b0df8b2104.png

I'd put Axl ahead of DLR, but that's just me. 

Era is everything. There had never really been anything like DLR when he showed up.

I can confirm Axl was seriously bad ass in the early days. Saw them in 87 at Palmer. Holy shit.

But DLR established the standard that Axl and pretty much everyone else followed.

I had some old GNR bootlegs with a really good cover of "Dead Flowers" on it.

Speaking of GNR and the Stones, "I Used to Love Her" is just a complete "Dead Flowers" rip.  I love it, but it's undeniable.

16 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I had some old GNR bootlegs with a really good cover of "Dead Flowers" on it.

Speaking of GNR and the Stones, "I Used to Love Her" is just a complete "Dead Flowers" rip.  I love it, but it's undeniable.

One Christmas (1989), my grandfather recorded the pay-per-view of the Stones' Steel Wheels show where Axl and Izzy came out and did Salt of the Earth with the Stones.  It was pretty sick.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...