Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

6 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Between 18,00 and 22,000 Russian troops are now trapped on the east side (right bank) of the Dnipro. 

this is turning catastrophic for the Russians.

How do they get “trapped” on the east side of the river? They occupy all the territory from there east to the Russian border. I thought that was the point of them pulling back to there from west of the river. I figured the river would be their line of defense against Ukrainian forces to the west.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Moldova might end up the biggest winner (relatively speaking) of this whole deal. Restoration of road and rail infrastructure to Ukraine and the rest of the EU and expulsion of Russian troops occupying Transnistria. Good news for one of the poorest countries in Europe.

Edited by Auto Driller
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

if Ukraine really captures 15-20k troops on that side of the river it will royally fuck with Russia's ability to do anything.

keep in mind, at the start of the war, they only had 200k actual fighters.  They have lost over 100k as casualties, I realize a lot of these guys are now probably called up cannon fodder, but still if they get 20k new prisoners eliminates Russia's ability to counter attack in that area for probably a year or more.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, AUS-97HORN said:

if Ukraine really captures 15-20k troops on that side of the river it will royally fuck with Russia's ability to do anything.

keep in mind, at the start of the war, they only had 200k actual fighters.  They have lost over 100k as casualties, I realize a lot of these guys are now probably called up cannon fodder, but still if they get 20k new prisoners eliminates Russia's ability to counter attack in that area for probably a year or more.

Also, these 20k represent a huge percentage of the trained contract soldiers that Russia has left. 

• Hook 'Em 3

51 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

How do they get “trapped” on the east side of the river? They occupy all the territory from there east to the Russian border. I thought that was the point of them pulling back to there from west of the river. I figured the river would be their line of defense against Ukrainian forces to the west.

I think there may be some miscommunication here.  AFAIK when the Ukrainians talk about the right side of the river they describe it as one looks downstream along the river.  For the N-S flowing Dnieper that means right = west.  I suspect someone at some point saw "right" looked on a map and assumed this meant the eastern shore since that's to the right of the western shore.

The orcs on the east side are not trapped.  Yet.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, 27-25 said:

I think there may be some miscommunication here.  AFAIK when the Ukrainians talk about the right side of the river they describe it as one looks downstream along the river.  For the N-S flowing Dnieper that means right = west.  I suspect someone at some point saw "right" looked on a map and assumed this meant the eastern shore since that's to the right of the western shore.

That would explain it. I thought they had all evacuated to the east of the river. 

1 hour ago, 27-25 said:

I’m a New Orleanian and that still confuses me. 

10 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

I’m a New Orleanian and that still confuses me. 

Rivers may have a general direction of flow, but they follow topography, twisting and even doubling back. If you need to identify one bank along its entire course (super important for armies), cardinal directions won’t work.  So, stand in the middle and look downstream. Right bank/left bank. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1