Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

4 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

at the exact moment of detonation, there were 5 guys within 3.5 feet of the explosion. 4 of whom have a clear line of sight to getting peppered with shrapnel. the 5th guy may be covered by some boxes and 2 guys bodies in front of him... however, within 3 feet of that kind of explosion, the pressure wave royally fucks with your internal guts and hes probably dead in a few hours anyway from hemorrhaging.   

The guy who runs basically due north ends up being about 7 feet away at impact.  he probably survives the pressure wave, but hes taking up about 10 degrees of arc radius of the explosion, so really good chance hes been peppered.

The guy  who runs due south end up being about 7 feet away from it, with several bodies in front of him.... pretty good chance he got away unscathed

that leaves the guy on the stretcher.  using the stretcher as the measuring stick hes sitting up about 6 feet from the explosion- hes got about 5 degrees of unobstructed arc radius.... so hes probably got some new holes in him, and clearly wasnt able to move easily before that... barring a super unlucky hit, in the US army he lives..... not sure about being in the Russian army.

So I am going with 7 casualties, 5 of whom probably died from wounds.

You mind drawing this up in ms paint for us? :)

• Haha 3

We are loading our "Spartans" on the way to Ukraine.

We are doing everything possible to ensure the offensive of Ukrainian troops.

Thank you to everyone who donates to support the army. This is our joint investment in victory.

Documents and licenses for the delivery of 8 more armored vehicles are in the works.

• Hook 'Em 3

52 minutes ago, George said:

You mind drawing this up in ms paint for us? :)

best I can do....

and it turns out I lost track of exactly where the guys on the right ended up. 

still going with 6 casualties

so there were only 4 guys in the 3.5 foot radius. and the guy who ran south is already out of the pic at explosion time. so revised  guessing 4 died of wounds rather than 5.

52488632697_06f358b337_c.jpg

then boom

52489583255_64ac20f7b8_h.jpg 

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

best I can do....

and it turns out I lost track of exactly where the guys on the right ended up. 

still going with 6 casualties

so there were only 4 guys in the 3.5 foot radius. and the guy who ran south is already out of the pic at explosion time. so revised  guessing 4 died of wounds rather than 5.

52488632697_06f358b337_c.jpg

then boom

52489583255_64ac20f7b8_h.jpg 

This is one of the most Surly posts ever.

23 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Not specifically about the Russians, but a good speech nonetheless. Sometimes you don't know what you had, till it's gone.

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

That Tom Clancy video posted upthread was a pretty good watch. Having only read his books, I would have never guessed he was such a good engaging speaker. I would have thought his talks would be less humorous and full of dry technical details that only hard-core nerds would appreciate.

I've only ever seen him in interviews, and they could be a bit dry or focused on what the host wanted to talk about.

Clancy could command a room - he knew how to hold the audience's attention, knew the audience, and he was just a solid story teller on stage.

And I loved that he brought out the Harpoon paper/miniatures game from Larry Bond (don't think the PC version was out for another 4-5 years or so).

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Can someone explain why they have a muddy season before winter? Is fall their rainy season?

Fall into early winter is absolutely rainy and soggy from Central Europe east into Russia. Ukraine is especially suited to be a mess.  The steppe is home to the “black earth,” the most fertile soil in the world laying for miles in— well, in the steppe. It’s all organic matter and dirt with nowhere for all that sogginess to drain off, no rocky layer to drain through. Roads to this day are often not paved.  Most of the land is plowed fields, not even grass to help you get traction. 

It’s worse in the spring with the snowmelt but fall is still a morass. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Fall into early winter is absolutely rainy and soggy from Central Europe east into Russia. Ukraine is especially suited to be a mess.  The steppe is home to the “black earth,” the most fertile soil in the world laying for miles in— well, in the steppe. It’s all organic matter and dirt with nowhere for all that sogginess to drain off, no rocky layer to drain through. Roads to this day are often not paved.  Most of the land is plowed fields, not even grass to help you get traction. 

I like more ass.  Wait, did you use some fancy word that I don't understand?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The retreat from Kherson is tremendous. It’s an amazing accomplishment by the AFU- grit, creativity, professionalism, better weapons, all of it.

That said— the decision to abandon the city and withdraw across the natural boundary created by the river is a sensible battlefield decision. I believe that Surovkin is both a butcher and a real pro and this withdrawal before utter disaster is a troubling sign that Putin is letting his general decide things. This is exactly what you’d do if you want to get yourself a strategic pause in heavy fighting, regenerate forces, encourage “Ukraine fatigue,” call for fake negotiations, and prepare a renewed offensive way down the line that is not shambolic or driven by political posturing.  

Ukraine needs to press its advantage and we need to help them. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Anyone who’s been stuck in the mud in Ukraine knows, you step on the gas, one tire spins, the other tire does nothing. You gotta have positraction.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, KYHorn said:

Guesses on the number of casualties here?

IMG_8893.MOV 4.13 MB · 28 downloads  

That Was Awesome Chris Farley GIF - That Was Awesome Chris ...

I wonder what the blast radius is for one of those mortars. I saw 2 guys on the left and right go down, the 3rd guy run right INTO the blast, which took out another one (not sure if he went down or not). It must have sucked to be the 5th guy on the stretcher. He was the one who saw the bomb drop and couldn't do anything about it.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted this in the Holy Shit thread but apropos this thread too.

One of the riders posts on Combat Footage subreddit: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/yqz3hv/nucking_futs_turret_pov_antitank_mine_blast/

Crewserved4Days

We don't know the condition of the 5th man as of right now.

Overhead footage first, then in turret footage.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1