Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

4 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Add on top of that watching the Russkies bringing their ill gotten goods back through and not stopping to drop anything off.  It has to pass through the minds of the citizens of the "disputed territories" "Hey, where did all those fancy washing machines come from and why aren't they dropping them off here?  Maybe if I got back with those other guys, I could have some fancy washing machines too!  Maybe even indoor plumbing and a private bathroom!"

And we should definitely be pushing the news about the Russian tactics in Donbass and Luhansk. No sham referendum is going to stop Ukraine or Sir Himars from continuing the attack. And the Russians are not willing to spill their own blood but will be pressganging any Ivan they see in those territories to take those bullets. Those citizens better have an exit strategy, getting out of town or start sabatoging whatever they can because Russia's winning strategy is built upon their suffering. It's brutal but if you can't GTFO then you need to start picking sides.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

They don’t have to prosecute a traditional advance. All they need to do is make the occupied areas untenable for the Russian troops and unlivable for Russian civilians. I think they can do this

And as HIMARS and other artillery removes bridges and ammo dumps, and restricts access to larger hardware/systems, those Russians will find themselves outmatched hardware and numbers-wise by Ukrainians, whose motivation will be so much higher than the Russians, especially those conscripted, and especially those kidnapped off the streets and pressed into service.

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Next to pickachu, that guy has a low-vis 82nd Airborne patch without the airborne strip. 

There was a thread on Reddit about it, with a lot of photos (and not just American, but British, etc.).  Apparently more than a few American soldiers were giving out patches to (or trading with) Ukrainians that the Americans  had formally trained back when Americans were training/working with them, as well as Americans were slipping them in with shipments of hardware being sent over.  Kind of a “we can’t be there with you physically, but we are with you in spirit” sort of thing.  

Pretty cool to see those things. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MillerEP said:

I know coal is dirty and we are trying to get away from it but it seems like we could ramp up production here pretty easily and it would be a lot easier to transport across the Atlantic than LNG in the near term. Could we scale that up to a meaningful level?

• Hook 'Em 1

I was going to comment that the Guard troops probably appreciate the fresher MREs.  And the troops in Korea must feel better about having fresher ammo.

The HARM wreckage RU showed today’s id numbers indicate it was made in 1991 for use with the F14. So, in addition to being over 30 years old it was intended for an airframe that was retired over 15 years ago.

We’re basically claiming dollar value for UKR’s ‘disposal’ of our Gulf War 1 leftovers for us.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

There was a thread on Reddit about it, with a lot of photos (and not just American, but British, etc.).  Apparently more than a few American soldiers were giving out patches to (or trading with) Ukrainians that the Americans  had formally trained back when Americans were training/working with them, as well as Americans were slipping them in with shipments of hardware being sent over.  Kind of a “we can’t be there with you physically, but we are with you in spirit” sort of thing.  

Pretty cool to see those things. 

I thought it might be something along those lines.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

HARM wreckage RU showed today id numbers indicate it was made in 1991 for use with the F14. So, in addition to being over 30 years old it wad intended for an airframe that was retired over 15 years ago.

We’re basically claiming dollar value for destroying our Gulf War 1 leftovers for us.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Another Russian appointed mayor of a Ukrainian town bites the dust. This time it was one Ivan Sushko who had been appointed mayor of Mykhaylivka by Moscow. Mayor Sushko started his automobile this Wednesday morning and was reduced to charcoal by a bomb placed under the driver’s seat.

This is the fourth Russian appointed official killed in as many weeks. You think Moscow pays these guys a combat or hazard bonus? Probably not.

main-qimg-d4d88735397ded8ed945d9865464b8a7-pjlq
Edited by Harrison Stafford
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I thought it might be something along those lines.  

Even though a development person I have a ton of patches from all over the world. US, EU, Latin America. I always tell myself one day I will make a cool map display, but never happens. I suck as a carpenter. 

• Like 2

Most people on this thread follow Bellingcat. If you don’t, you need to. Their work is better than a Tom Clancy novel.  Their latest piece on a GRU illegal working in Naples and targeting NATO-affiliated officers and contractors is amazing. 

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2022/08/25/socialite-widow-jeweller-spy-how-a-gru-agent-charmed-her-way-into-nato-circles-in-italy/?fbclid=IwAR0ELwulWVCdYiwBKEBJQ15cb4w3_O3S-pmIvKtaOX22GVOsvygnnSY-doY

The best part is this completely believable origin story that in no way sounds like a shitty-ass cover for someone who never existed:

Based on interviews with four people whom “Maria Adela” befriended in the next decade, she told those she met the following back story of her name and origin: she was the love child of a German father and a Peruvian mother, and was born in Callao, Peru. Her single mother had travelled with little “Maria Adela” to the Soviet Union in 1980, to attend the Olympic Games in Moscow. However, her mother had received an emergency message from Peru that required her to return home urgently – and left little “Maria Adela” in the care of a Soviet family that she had apparently befriended. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

An interesting book about being a contract "conscript" during Chechnya. Not a wonderful piece of literature but enlightening. I can picture some of that is happening today in Eastern Ukraine. Worth a read for those who want to learn more. 

A Soldier's War in Chechnya, Arkady Babchenko

This is an outstanding dispatch from the frontline of war - unsparing, unsentimental, blackly comic and brutally beautiful - from an ordinary soldier who tells it like it is.This title features readers of contemporary reportage and war writing - from Herr and Kapuscinski to Swofford's "Jarhead" and Bowden's "Black Hawk Down"; plus lovers of Tolstoy, Chekhov, Babel, et al, Russophiles."I always thought that war was black and white. But it is colour."A compulsively readable, autobiographical account of life as a young soldier in Russia's Chechen wars, it takes the raw and mundane reality of days amid guns and grenades and twists it into compelling, chilling - and eerily elegant - prose. With unblinking honesty, Babchenko traces his journey from innocence to experience, beginning with his teenage arrival in the transit camp just north of Chechnya and harsh treatment by his seniors as a naive and scared new recruit, through to his period of active duty at the front, by which time, he has become a brutalized and hardened soldier.Does not look like things are going to get better. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Most people on this thread follow Bellingcat. If you don’t, you need to. Their work is better than a Tom Clancy novel.  Their latest piece on a GRU illegal working in Naples and targeting NATO-affiliated officers and contractors is amazing. 

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2022/08/25/socialite-widow-jeweller-spy-how-a-gru-agent-charmed-her-way-into-nato-circles-in-italy/?fbclid=IwAR0ELwulWVCdYiwBKEBJQ15cb4w3_O3S-pmIvKtaOX22GVOsvygnnSY-doY

The best part is this completely believable origin story that in no way sounds like a shitty-ass cover for someone who never existed:

I lived in Lima for the 11th grade. The Russian (Soviet) Naval Attache's daughter was a hottie. I could not date her and had some security dudes from the embassy warn me about that. We all went to the same school, drank at the same bars, etc. The big difference is she had goons with her at all steps. We would all be at the beach drinking beer and she was alone in a tent surrounded by Gopniks. 

It was funny being in the eastern Slop and seeing US DEA dudes getting off MI-8's supported by Hinds. Peru went full "we love Russia early on."

But yeah, follow Bellingcat. Damn good work they did on the Malaysia disaster as well. They know how to do some intel gathering and they write well. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Even though a development person I have a ton of patches from all over the world. US, EU, Latin America. I always tell myself one day I will make a cool map display, but never happens. I suck as a carpenter. 

We should talk. I collected militaria and specifically patches as a kid, then traded/collected patches in Scouts and now when I go somewhere interesting I pick up a patch if they have it. We have binders and bags of them but I don’t know how to display them. Anyhow I digress.
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

We should talk. I collected militaria and specifically patches as a kid, then traded/collected patches in Scouts and now when I go somewhere interesting I pick up a patch if they have it. We have binders and bags of them but I don’t know how to display them. Anyhow I digress.

BSA Patch Placement on Troop Uniform - ClassB® Custom Apparel and Products

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

19 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I was going to comment that the Guard troops probably appreciate the fresher MREs.  And the troops in Korea must feel better about having fresher ammo.

In my Guard experience, we often had newer gear than the Regular Army and Reserves. Hometown Pork at work.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1