Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

US statement on Ukraine Independence Day.  We now seem to be focusing more and more on “strategic” weapons.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/08/24/statement-from-president-biden-on-ukraine-independence-day/

On behalf of all Americans, I congratulate the people of Ukraine on their Independence Day. Over the past six months, Ukrainians have inspired the world with their extraordinary courage and dedication to freedom.  They have stood resolute and strong in the face of Russia’s full scale invasion of Ukraine. And today is not only a celebration of the past, but a resounding affirmation that Ukraine proudly remains – and will remain – a sovereign and independent nation.

The United States of America is committed to supporting the people of Ukraine as they continue the fight to defend their sovereignty. As part of that commitment, I am proud to announce our biggest tranche of security assistance to date: approximately $2.98 billion of weapons and equipment to be provided through the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative.  This will allow Ukraine to acquire air defense systems, artillery systems and munitions, counter-unmanned aerial systems, and radars to ensure it can continue to defend itself over the long term.

I know this independence day is bittersweet for many Ukrainians as thousands have been killed or wounded, millions have been displaced from their homes, and so many others have fallen victim to Russian atrocities and attacks. But six months of relentless attacks have only strengthened Ukrainians’ pride in themselves, in their country, and in their thirty-one years of independence. Today and every day, we stand with the Ukrainian people to proclaim that the darkness that drives autocracy is no match for the flame of liberty that lights the souls of free people everywhere. The United States, including proud Ukrainian-Americans, looks forward to continuing to celebrate Ukraine as a democratic, independent, sovereign and prosperous state for decades to come.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

America has given Ukraine more $$$ of weapons and materiel than anyone else.  Perhaps more than the rest of the World combined.  That matters way more than photo ops.  That said...

We need to send more of our high ranking leaders to visit.  Too hot to send our President of course, but what about several of our Ex Presidents.  Shit would be lit.

• Hook 'Em 5

“Independence... This is when you realize that behind you is a Great country, the only one in the world that can stand up to the barbaric empire of murderers. Six months of the liberation war. Six months of indomitability and achievements. We were given three days. And today everyone is delighted with . Happy Independence Day, my dear!”

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Whats the story with F15s and F18s I heard about a few weeks ago.  Are those going over there still?

I can’t speak to the F-18, but most of our F-15 airframes are worn out and will be replaced with F-35s eventually.  The Air Force is bringing F-15EX airframes online, but those are basically expected to serve as bomb trucks and stand-off air to air missile boats in combination with Stealth F-35s.

• Like 1

What’s his Surly handle, because he’s got to be a UT football fan: “Here police are carting away Roizman’s electronics, which he potentially could have used for the several angry foul-mouthed replies he wrote daily to Russian state media on Twitter. Recent highlights include “Shut the fuck up,” “Go fuck yourself” and “Are you shitfaced again?”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

3 billion is peanuts compared with Iraq. We're getting a helluva deal. The Ukrainians were gonna fight one way or the other, we are giving them the means to do so. Unlike so many of our other adventures around the globe we are seeing some fucking results from motivated and hard charging allies.

it would be a bargain at twice the price.  our mid east adventures were just weird ass imperialism.  this thing is continuation of cold war proxy wars which we spent a gazillion on back in the jfk through reagan days.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

3 billion is peanuts compared with Iraq. We're getting a helluva deal. The Ukrainians were gonna fight one way or the other, we are giving them the means to do so. Unlike so many of our other adventures around the globe we are seeing some fucking results from motivated and hard charging allies.

6 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

it would be a bargain at twice the price.  our mid east adventures were just weird ass imperialism.  this thing is continuation of cold war proxy wars which we spent a gazillion on back in the jfk through reagan days.

The 1980's were a different time for sure, but I was raised to despise the Russians.  After I grew up, I wondered if that was all jingoistic BS.  Perhaps, "the Russians love their children too."

Then Feb 24 happened and I instantly realized my dad was right.  Fuck those guys.  This war is a 100% bargain for the US.  Almost no American lives are at risk.  All we gotta do is keep printing US Dollars and giving them to Raytheon.  I'll make that trade ev ery day.

2 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

also, this isn't a money sink, it's a huge marketing expense.  you think countries will be lining up to buy anyone else's shit after watching ours make a mockery of soviet tech?  

The Military-Industrial complex sells weapons.  Many of them (Javelins and arty shells) are disposable.  And the more they use, the more they want.  They want more Javelins, more arty and all the stuff that isn't disposable (F35's and Abrams's.)

They spend zero money on advertising and are viewed as Patriots.  Don Draper couldn't have come up with a better campaign.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

US statement on Ukraine Independence Day.  We now seem to be focusing more and more on “strategic” weapons.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/08/24/statement-from-president-biden-on-ukraine-independence-day/

On behalf of all Americans, I congratulate the people of Ukraine on their Independence Day. Over the past six months, Ukrainians have inspired the world with their extraordinary courage and dedication to freedom.  They have stood resolute and strong in the face of Russia’s full scale invasion of Ukraine. And today is not only a celebration of the past, but a resounding affirmation that Ukraine proudly remains – and will remain – a sovereign and independent nation.

The United States of America is committed to supporting the people of Ukraine as they continue the fight to defend their sovereignty. As part of that commitment, I am proud to announce our biggest tranche of security assistance to date: approximately $2.98 billion of weapons and equipment to be provided through the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative.  This will allow Ukraine to acquire air defense systems, artillery systems and munitions, counter-unmanned aerial systems, and radars to ensure it can continue to defend itself over the long term.

I know this independence day is bittersweet for many Ukrainians as thousands have been killed or wounded, millions have been displaced from their homes, and so many others have fallen victim to Russian atrocities and attacks. But six months of relentless attacks have only strengthened Ukrainians’ pride in themselves, in their country, and in their thirty-one years of independence. Today and every day, we stand with the Ukrainian people to proclaim that the darkness that drives autocracy is no match for the flame of liberty that lights the souls of free people everywhere. The United States, including proud Ukrainian-Americans, looks forward to continuing to celebrate Ukraine as a democratic, independent, sovereign and prosperous state for decades to come.

The biggest part of that story, beyond the mind-boggling numbers, is that we are not going to be exclusively doing drawdowns anymore.  We will now be going direct to industry to produce.  Arsenal of democracy is back.

Also, in his bid to do something terrible for every decent step, Pope Francis called Dugina an “innocent victim of war.” A “poor girl.”

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1562425754360885250?s=21&t=ZqpLHphQTZWTYAXR4Vk3ZQ 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

also, this isn't a money sink, it's a huge marketing expense.  you think countries will be lining up to buy anyone else's shit after watching ours make a mockery of soviet tech?  

5053ABC5-BAF0-47FF-9D89-86F70DC7A9A2.gif.1ec17a21994a65a5189493e4551261d8.gif

Do not mock the dual tank turret/Soyuz reentry vehicle. 

Edited by Gatorubet
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Are those atypical?

Think Ukrainian sunset was about 30 mins ago. Sounds like some TU-22s let off some standoff missiles. I haven't seen Kyiv and the western cities getting hit as often recently but still been happening periodically.  

Edited by Fico
  • Hook 'Em 1