Escape from Dannemora - Showtime Series

Jograves

Didn't see a thread on this but we watched the first two episodes over the weekend. It's about the prison break in upstate NY a few years ago where some prison employees helped a couple of murderers escape.

It's excellent. Patricia Arquette, Benicio Del Toro, and Paul Dano play the main characters. The other supporting actors are all great too. Ben Stiller is directing. They really sunk some money into it. The sets are amazing. The music is fantastic too.  Very well done and an interesting subject. 

• Like 1

I'm about halfway through episode 2.  I like it.  Arquette is legit -- man, she went all in physically for this role.  Del Toro is his usual badass self.

It's a little slow in development, but that's kinda the way these short series go.  I love the look and feel.  I'm in for the duration.

i know this is a true story and all, but it's ludicrous and a major breakdown in security policy, that they wouldn't have fired her already for blatantly sleeping with an inmate (s) in the backroom.  

I think you would be shocked that stuff like this is the norm.

I have a friend in federal prison. They have cell phones, and cook when it should be lights out. I know some of the contraband is brought in by guards.

This is also some shithole out in the sticks town where the prison is. The people hate their lives and jobs. It’s cold as fuck and poor. People stop caring.

24 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

come on dude.  everybody in the room knows what she's doing.  even the guard that just sits there at his desk and does nothing.  

I agree, but she hasn't been caught actually screwing them yet.

37 minutes ago, Jograves said:

I liked when the guard said, "C'mon, Tilley. You've had your fun."

I couldn't get over how indignant she was at Sweat's removal from the shop. Probably should've been a wake-up call but she's too stupid or lovestruck to realize it. 

Completely agree. It’s wild how dumb she and her husband are. The actors are doing a great job tho, bc it’s not over the top - entirely believable these people are that dumb in reality 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2018 at 1:20 PM, thrillhammer said:

i know this is a true story and all, but it's ludicrous and a major breakdown in security policy, that they wouldn't have fired her already for blatantly sleeping with an inmate (s) in the backroom.  

I don't understand what point you're trying to make.  The show should have changed the facts of what happened?  Isn't the ludicrousness what makes it good television?

And also I imagine it's not typical company policy to fire someone based on a rumor or third party hearsay.  The way it was handled seemed pretty realistic to me.

Edited by CurlyDumps

12 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

I don't understand what point you're trying to make.  The show should have changed the facts of what happened?  Isn't the ludicrousness what makes it good television?

And also I imagine it's not typical company policy to fire someone based on a rumor or third party hearsay.  The way it was handled seemed pretty realistic to me.

What are you, 12?  No, ludicrousness doesn't make for good television.  It makes for ludicrous television.  Believability makes for good television.  If I want fantasy or escapism I'll watch Game of Thrones.

And no, the way it was handled is far from realistic and is far from typical company policy.  When a supervisor is accused of inappropriate contact, they don't transfer the victim to another department.  The supervisor is no longer a supervisor. That's the case in every corporate environment, and would think it would be even moreso in a prison setting.  If this prison's security was that lax, it's a shock there weren't more problems or escapes. 

48 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

What are you, 12?  No, ludicrousness doesn't make for good television.  It makes for ludicrous television.  Believability makes for good television.  If I want fantasy or escapism I'll watch Game of Thrones.

And no, the way it was handled is far from realistic and is far from typical company policy.  When a supervisor is accused of inappropriate contact, they don't transfer the victim to another department.  The supervisor is no longer a supervisor. That's the case in every corporate environment, and would think it would be even moreso in a prison setting.  If this prison's security was that lax, it's a shock there weren't more problems or escapes. 

the facts are the facts. 1. An employee had sex with inmates. 2. per an interview with the co-creators, this was the first prison break from the main facility in Dannemora’s 100+ year history.  

prison systems are a unique work environment, no? You really think a complaint from Sancho, who’s doing life for a double murder, would, and should, be handled the same as a complaint from Jen who works in sales at Initech?  Prisons probably get complaints constantly, many of them being bullshit, and I’m guessing they don’t all end in a demotion or firing.  

I’m still mystified by your indignance here, assuming the show got this particular detail right.  And I’m even more mystified by your apparent belief that a corporation mishandling a complaint is “far from realistic” lol.

• 2 weeks later...

This show is a lesson in how to kill suspense and make your tv show feel super slow.  (Despite having some of the best acting talent in the world) 

0:00-5:00  Drop big hint at what's going to happen in this episode.  

5:00-50:00  Slowly, slowly, slowly reveal what you hinted at.  

50:00-59:00   Reveal what you hinted at in the first 5 minutes.

They did the exact same thing to the entire series.  Showed us Arquette in jail at the start.   So the mystery/suspense was gone within the first 10 minutes.   There's just not that much going on and they already told us how it ends.  

Different editing/directing could have made this a much more interesting show. 

Thought it was an excellent 3-4 part series expanded to 7. Each of the even-numbered episodes could have been 5 minute pieces.  1, 5 and 7 would pretty much get you there. 

Acting-wise ir was solid. Arquelle and her husband were outstanding.  Paul Dano was good as always.  But Johnny Depp’s lawyer was channeling his inner Bobby Cannavale hamjob for big chunks though. 

On 1/2/2019 at 6:32 AM, Liquor and Poker said:

Thought it was an excellent 3-4 part series expanded to 7. Each of the even-numbered episodes could have been 5 minute pieces.  1, 5 and 7 would pretty much get you there. 

Acting-wise ir was solid. Arquelle and her husband were outstanding.  Paul Dano was good as always.  But Johnny Depp’s lawyer was channeling his inner Bobby Cannavale hamjob for big chunks though. 

Exactly.  Acting was great, but it could have been told in about 2/3 the time with no loss of effect.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2019 at 6:46 PM, Jack Straw said:

Finished it last night.  Thought they knocked it out of the park.  While I’m sure they took some liberties with the details, I have no problem believing the way it was laid out.  

Actually, they played it pretty accurately.  Stiller didn't agree to do it initially because the script was, according to the writers, only about 50% accurate.  After the IG''s report came out, they re-wrote it based on her findings. 

There were some cool things to it.  For example, the little trailer that he hid in at the in was the ACTUAL trailer that the escapee had used.  

Edited by Gil Bang

• 2 years later...

Just got around to tuning in to this because didn't have Showtime when it came out, but I knew about it.  

I thought it was a nice watch.  Only episode I didn't really care for was the 6th one.  I guess mainly didn't like the placement of it, but other than that it was a good show.  

Worth the watch for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.