Fourth Quarter

Slacks

What in the hell is our 4th quarter offensive play calling philosophy?

We can't seem to do jack shit in Q4.  We lost this game in 4Q. We lost by 12. 4Q score: 12-0.

I don't have the feels right now, but I'm guessing our 4Q scoring is among the worst in the nation.

I don't think it's simply getting conservative, either... because we don't get conservative, we just get bad.

I've long complained about our inability/unwillingness to run the ball in key moments.  It really came back to bite us in the ass in this game.  If Herman wants to run his ball control, "no mas" spread running offense, we have to get production from our RBs.  And we have to commit to it.  Particularly in the 4th quarter.  That's the time the other team should be saying "no mas."  We can't chuck the ball down the field every down hoping for a big play or PI.  If we want to do that, switch offenses.  

We gave the ball to our RBs a total of 3 times for 4 yards in the  ENTIRE 4th quarter, and includes two series where we were only down 3 points.  Just terrible.    

• Like 1

First drive we moved the ball and didn't get the PI in third down so had to punt.

Second drive we got ball at our 8. We did make mistake of running in first down like we almost always do  when we are backed up. Then we get the safety.

third drive we moved the ball but had to score quickly for it to even matter so ended up with INT.

I can’t explain it. We used to be fucking horrendous in the 3rd, now it’s the 4th. The offense has to continue to play aggressive but there seems to be some sort of laxidaiscial shit that happens because we just start getting beat. But I have to look at coaching on this. 

• Like 1

First drive we moved the ball and didn't get the PI in third down so had to punt.
Second drive we got ball at our 8. We did make mistake of running in first down like we almost always do  when we are backed up. Then we get the safety.
third drive we moved the ball but had to score quickly for it to even matter so ended up with INT.
Should have run it again instead of dropping into the end zone with the back side having no receiver and a PA fake and no eyes on the free blitz side. That's a bad call for the field position. It just is.

We abandoned the run, and they abandoned run defense... And we never did again.

23 minutes ago, SideSlip said:

Wow, I’ve never noticed this all season.  Thanks, OP!

Yeah, and every time a thread about it it started people just repeat "Doesn't matter, we won" like a broken record.

Maryland. Tulsa. blOU x2. K-State. Tech. Kansas. We've lost the fourth quarter time and time again. But people would rather stick their hands in the sand and pretend it isn't a significant issue.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Should have run it again instead of dropping into the end zone with the back side having no receiver and a PA fake and no eyes on the free blitz side. That's a bad call for the field position. It just is.

We abandoned the run, and they abandoned run defense... And we never did again.

Are you talking about the safety?

29 minutes ago, po elvis said:

most important play of the game, changed momentum, robbed UT of points. 

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

What in the hell is our 4th quarter offensive play calling philosophy?

We can't seem to do jack shit in Q4.  We lost this game in 4Q. We lost by 12. 4Q score: 12-0.

I don't have the feels right now, but I'm guessing our 4Q scoring is among the worst in the nation

Clay Helton says hold my beer

1 minute ago, Snacks said:

Yes. It was a poorly designed play call for the spot. Fidgety that we competently missed the CB blitz.

Any blitz from the back side would have been trouble. That's ok at the 30, but not the goal line.

Actually if Sam looks pre snap or even listens to CJ, changes the protection and/or throws over the blitz to CJ its a positive play for us. But Sam never saw it pre snap or even after the snap. It wasn’t a bad play, but it requires recognition, and a hot route. Ingram was bad at blitz pickup today. Not all his fault there tho. But this speaks to a larger issue in our passing game

Actually if Sam looks pre snap or even listens to CJ, changes the protection and/or throws over the blitz to CJ its a positive play for us. But Sam never saw it pre snap or even after the snap. It wasn’t a bad play, but it requires recognition, and a hot route. Ingram was bad at blitz pickup today. Not all his fault there tho. But this speaks to a larger issue in our passing game
Nobody saw it coming. But I still think a play that drops back into the end zone and only has the QB looking at one side of the field is bad.

Or Sam really fd up the execution.

Both?

Just now, Snacks said:

Nobody saw it coming. But I still think a play that drops back into the end zone and only has the QB looking at one side of the field is bad.

Or Sam really fd up the execution.

Both?

Well Sam should have looked is what I’m saying. Because the safety who ended up in coverage was 15 yards off CJ. It would have been easy pitch and catch. 

There is a reason that blitz came from the right side, and why it was so effective. I have since rewatched the game and I am now 100% sure that Sam’s arm was not healthy. And it is more of just a shoulder issue. How he held the football was the most obvious (that was mentioned after his TD run). But he continued to favor his right side. Unless he is now left handed that is unusual. And what some are saying that he was locking on to receivers, was in fact a physical issue that was causing, at least to some degree, discomfort when he panned his head left to right. If you watch it you will see a smooth motion until he gets roughly to center, then it just locks and he starts moving his torso to compensate. This little quirk continued through the fourth quarter, and ultimately to the safety.

Which leads me to point out that someone  else saw it too. OU not only blitzed Sam’s right side. They made sure to bring it from as far out as they could and still have time to get to Sam, while trying to find a blind spot in his peripheral vision. The defender held off until Sam turned his head to his left, once he did he never looked back to his right and was screwed. I believe healthy he would have picked it up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, po elvis said:

that back side corner blitz down 3 with a chance to drive and win the game is deja fucking vu.

5 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

To be fair, we were moving the ball pretty well the first time until the missed PI call against LJH. That was a massive moment in the game.

I wouldn't say we were moving it well.  We converted 3rd and 10 on that drive on a PI against CJ.  The blown call on LJH was on 3rd and 9.  3rd and longs aren't going to lead to success.  

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:56 PM, taybo20 said:

Well Sam should have looked is what I’m saying. Because the safety who ended up in coverage was 15 yards off CJ. It would have been easy pitch and catch. 

except CJ looked like he was running a 40 yard dash

We're the opposite of A&M.  We don't lose because we ran out of time.  We lose because there's too much time left.  

I don't think I entered a game all season with a BAC over .05.  And I made good decisions for most games up until the 4th quarter.  But Maryland, Tulsa, Kansas State, Baylor, WVU, Texas Tech, Kansas, and Oklahoma TWICE...all 4th quarters that caused me to probably have 3-5 drinks in a single quarter.  Every one of them a nerve-racking beatdown of bullshit.  

9 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

except CJ looked like he was running a 40 yard dash

Yeah there was no check made. Sam never looked and CJ was never told to do anything differently.

Which is my other point I’ve made in regards to coaching and our wrs/qb. Coverage recognition and route running are things we need to improve on across the board.