Who won’t play in the Sugar Bowl?

El Moco

48 minutes ago, slorch said:

For an exhibition game?  I totally get where you're coming from.  Do you understand the players' perspective?

Durant should have never played a college game. In his one season at Texas he swept every player of the year award as a freshman and simply didn't have a good enough team around himself to make a tourney run. He did everything he was supposed to. Unless you think the best prospect since LeBron James should have foregone the draft to completely outclass everyone on the court for a 2nd time.

3 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Only person that wouldn’t surprise me would be Kris Boyd. He seems like he thinks he’s better than he is

And I think this fanbase would be A-ok if he didn't play.  I have no problem getting his backup some quality pt against a quality opponent.  I mean seriously, can't be any worse, right?

Just now, texashorn13 said:

And I think this fanbase would be A-ok if he didn't play.  I have no problem getting his backup some quality pt against a quality opponent.  I mean seriously, can't be any worse, right?

You watched the first quarter of the Oklahoma State game, right?

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You watched the first quarter of the Oklahoma State game, right?

This right here.  Boyd is apparently the best we have.  That is why he draws the toughest coverage assignments.  That also means that anyone else on the team would be a drop off in performance at this point in time.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

Do you really want Davante Davis guarding whatever future NFL guy Georgia is running out at WR1? Because he's next best.

Do you think Christian McCaffrey regrets sitting out Stanford’s bowl game?

Do you think Jaylon Smith is glad he did play in Notre Dame’s?

Maybe  it’s unfair to bring up Smith as such an extreme example, but we’re talking life changing money at risk for one game.  I just don’t have a problem with them sitting out. I don’t buy in to the individual being on the hook for the insurance either.  The juice isn.t remotely worth the squeeze. It seems some of y’all were never broke college students or parents.  There’s not just money floating around in your life everywhere.

I agree with Helobius(ugggh!!!) that a player who ends up doing well in the pros, like a Durant; or McCaffrey does infinitely more for their school as an ambassador of what can happen as a result of their development at Texas or Stanford.

13 hours ago, Helobious said:

Any player that’s played good enough at Texas to be a high round draft pick has done far more for the football program & university than you ever will come close to doing. They’ve earned the right to sit out if they want. The higher they get picked the better the school looks to future recruits.

Besides the day we start being petty on people trying to provide for their families is the day our recruiting dies.

If somebody wants to sit out the Sugar Bowl well good luck to them. And if we win, no hard feelings.

Do you think Christian McCaffrey regrets sitting out Stanford’s bowl game?
Do you think Jaylon Smith is glad he did play in Notre Dame’s?
Maybe  it’s unfair to bring up Smith as such an extreme example, but we’re talking life changing money at risk for one game.  I just don’t have a problem with them sitting out. I don’t buy in to the individual being on the hook for the insurance either.  The juice isn.t remotely worth the squeeze. It seems some of y’all were never broke college students or parents.  There’s not just money floating around in your life everywhere.
I agree with Helobius(ugggh!!!) that a player who ends up doing well in the pros, like a Durant; or McCaffrey does infinitely more for their school as an ambassador of what can happen as a result of their development at Texas or Stanford.

The chances of having a career ending injury are small, even the chances of having an injury that hurts your draft spot are small. It can happen, but it's small.

I see no difference in sitting out a bowl game vs sitting out there end of the season. If their future rearming potential is the only thing that matters, then why not sit out as soon as your team is eliminated from CFP contention, or conference championship contention?

Winning the sugar bowl this year is readily as important to our program as winning the Big12 title would have been, but by your logic, all these guys should have started sitting out after the WVU loss as we were eliminated from the CFP by that point and most, if not all, haven't changed their draft position significantly since.

College Athletics is not just a minor league for the NFL. If we're going to start treating it as such, then we should just start paying these guys and eliminate any academic requirements for them.

I do not like OU

Just had another thought. Maybe this selfishness is a good thing. It makes the non CFP bowl games, even the new years 6, devalued. Playing a game with your stars is a joke and is bad for college football so maybe this will pay the NCAA to get rid of all the bowls and expand the CFP
to 16, 20, 24 teams. Probably not, but we can hope

I do not like OU

I’m all for the elination of revenue sports in college. Seriously. The NFL has zero risk but all of the rewards  The schools make a sjitton of money  The players have a good gig too, BUT it is nit commensurate with what they produce  

As much as I live them as a fan, there’s a crapton wrong with how the are run and what the players get. 

I’d also support a straight up stipend or whatever, but I don’t know what would keep it equitable. Bama aun’t offering its players the same thing as Eastern Washington. 

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Besides the day we start being petty on people trying to provide for their families is the day our recruiting dies.

If somebody wants to sit out the Sugar Bowl well good luck to them. And if we win, no hard feelings.

I've come around to this opinion.  At first I was like "screw  these guys, quitting with one game left is the same as quitting with 4 games left, is the same as quitting with 8 games left."  

But now it don't  matter to me, don't  want to burn any bridges for recruiting.  (Same reason major didn't talk shit about Oliver )

If it were up to me, I wouldn't let a guy sitting  out travel and hang out on the sidelines for the bowl game.  Make him pay his own way a buy a ticket like the rest of us professionals.

They'll be able to provide for their families regardless. No Texas ex player is every going to have trouble finding a job if they are at least reasonably competent.

I do not like OU

1 hour ago, Hellraiser97 said:

They'll be able to provide for their families regardless. No Texas ex player is every going to have trouble finding a job if they are at least reasonably competent.

I do not like OU

Providing for your family with an NFL salary is a little different than just finding a job with your general studies degree.  VY or Colt may have a cushy job to always fall back on, but is that the same for all other players?

Providing for your family with an NFL salary is a little different than just finding a job with your general studies degree.  VY or Colt may have a cushy job to always fall back on, but is that the same for all other players?
Sure it's different. That's why it's a bullshit argument. It isn't like this is their only chance to earn a living, just maybe to hit a home run.

I doubt any of them would be have trouble getting a job, maybe not a cushy job, but they will be able to no provide just fine

I do not like OU

On 12/2/2018 at 6:55 PM, A’Dam Psycho said:

Only person that wouldn’t surprise me would be Kris Boyd. He seems like he thinks he’s better than he is

On 12/2/2018 at 7:00 PM, texashorn13 said:

Is Kris Boyd going to play CB in the pros?

He seems like he might be more of a practice squad->special teams & reserve safety kind of guy.

Watching him against OU was absolutely brutal and I could fathom a team seeing the first quarter and thinking "Let's spend a draft pick on that CB, because he seems to really understand how to cover a WR."

Maybe he fills in at Safety for the Bowl Game and shows some versatility to the scouts.