Texas vs Providence- Friday, 8pm on ESPN2

Goo Punch

34 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Had to dvr the game because of a family Christmas thingy, read the board this morning and deleted it and didn’t watch it over morning coffee.

so was roach sick or suspended I didn’t ever see for sure?

im out 110% out on Shaka. I think Shaka stays another two years and I wanna be wrong but have a friend that coaches in division 1 and I know a nba scout that have both told me the same story and that is Shaka is loved by the athletic department and they said like really adored. Now losing a lot can change that quick so only way he gets the boot according to them is a complete collapse. Of course take that with a grain of salt because we all have “friends” and everyone has “heard” something. But it’s believable.

i seriously seriously doubt roach was sick. first off, he was benched the game prior. second, "stomach bug" is awful convenient and not all that believable. guys play through stomach bugs all the time, and roach was pretty clearly find. he didn't look tired or sweaty or lacking in energy, he looked totally normal and was smiling and laughing. whether shaka is trying to scapegoat or not i don't know, but he wasn't sick. 

Gave my ticket to a buddy and didn’t go to or watch the game. My takeaway on Shaka Smart basketball is we’re a good team when we shoot 40% or more on threes or someone has a career game. Otherwise we suck. Unfortunately shooting threes isn’t a strength but has become the default offense cause we don’t have an effective offense. 

2 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

cross posting my post from another board

That’s what Texas basketball is. To the detriment of our team, we try to showcase the potential of our high draft pick type players. Force it no matter what, so we can hopefully land another one. I’ve noticed it since TJ Ford left,  maybe it’s been going on before that ...

SAIP, but did anyone catch the "mic'd up" segment with Shaka in the huddle?  Holy shit it was cringey.  Just kept repeating platitudes and to follow the "process."  It's obvious he has no fucking clue and is in way over his head.  If he weren't making $100K per game, I might feel bad for him.  

7 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Not that I think he has any, but the networks don't show actual X's and O's talk. Generic platitudes only.

Yeah, I've been saying this for a while. There are so many legitimate criticisms of Shaka that it kills me that people get fixated on the "mic'd up" segments.

Edited by Machinator

Had to dvr the game because of a family Christmas thingy, read the board this morning and deleted it and didn’t watch it over morning coffee.
so was roach sick or suspended I didn’t ever see for sure?
im out 110% out on Shaka. I think Shaka stays another two years and I wanna be wrong but have a friend that coaches in division 1 and I know a nba scout that have both told me the same story and that is Shaka is loved by the athletic department and they said like really adored. Now losing a lot can change that quick so only way he gets the boot according to them is a complete collapse. Of course take that with a grain of salt because we all have “friends” and everyone has “heard” something. But it’s believable.

I can’t go into any detail, but I know for a fact that there is significant concern in the AD office about Shaka’s performance. He is loved as a person. Not as a basketball coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

So Sims sat the entire second half. Roach looked perfectly capable of playing. Hamm doesn't play all year except a few minutes of garbage time, then gets 14 minutes against Providence. Is Brock Cunningham gonna start the next game and play 33 minutes? 

roach wasn't sick.  that was obvious.  shaka used the flu so he could avoid talking about a suspension.

37 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

SAIP, but did anyone catch the "mic'd up" segment with Shaka in the huddle?  Holy shit it was cringey.  Just kept repeating platitudes and to follow the "process."  It's obvious he has no fucking clue and is in way over his head.  If he weren't making $100K per game, I might feel bad for him.  

I feel bad for him but only because its hard to see a guy that educated look like a complete dumbass on a nightly basis. he will end up at a low mid major and wallow in anonymity(making good money, by the way) for the rest of his career.  if he keeps himself "clean" regarding recruiting he might fall ass backwards into a low P5 gig.  he looks the part but there is nothing under the hood in the way of basketball knowledge.

28 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I can’t go into any detail, but I know for a fact that there is significant concern in the AD office about Shaka’s performance. He is loved as a person. Not as a basketball coach.

Thank God and that’s great to hear, definitely lines up with what they heard about him being over loved but glad it doesn’t blind them to how shitty of a in game coach he is.

the way they play shows me he rolls the ball out for practice and they scrimmage a shit ton. Shaka strikes me as a coach really into agility and explosiveness training and scrimmaging. And it shows.

36 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Yeah, I've been saying this for a while. There are so many legitimate criticisms of Shaka that it kills me that people get fixated on the "mic'd up" segments.

I wasn't criticizing really.  It's obvious from the team's performance that he is an idiot.  What the huddle thing showed me is he knows deep down that he's full of shit (you can see it on his face) and sadly so do the players.  

32 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

When they did mic’d up on the other coach he was talking about when they play us such and such a way you have that ten footer all night or something.  It wasnt pure x and o but it was strategy and not platitudes 

Yeah, the guy with mange talked like a man that knows his shit and knows he knows it.  

1 hour ago, jinx said:

Not sure about the first part, but the second seems painfully obvious

i've mentioned it before, but i have knowledge of him playing some seriously messed up mind games with guys from his first team, and then based on what i know about that situation, conjecture tells me that it wasn't a one-off thing. 

To expound on some of that conjecture, Shaka has had more player drama in 3.5 years here than i remember any previous coach having in a period of double that time. From the multiple cases of head games that I know about from his first team, to the stuff with Tevin Mack and EDJ, to his super odd usage of his bench (ibeh, hamm, sims, yancy and more have gone from extreme doghouse to large roles overnight for varying reasons), to the fact that he has a clear history of playing favorites who are clearly inferior to guys behind them; there are many signs that his hold on his players/roster is tenuous at best. 

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

"We gotta play hard! C'mon guys, it's about playing hard! We gotta go out there and play hard guys!"

this is seriously the stuff he says. both parties are right on the argument- machinator is right that espn isn't going to show any real x's and o's, but others are right that the stuff that shaka says is complete nonsense which can't possibly be constructive to his team's improvement. we've seen him say this exact stuff time and time again in these huddles. it's rah rah nonsense. 

Edited by Goo Punch

13 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Shaka sucks ass but I don’t have a problem with benching players. Should’ve happened a long time ago. Nobody listens, Roach especially. 

i don't have a problem with benching a player either. i remember once when rick barnes benched damion james who'd been struggling, and barnes let it be known why damion wasn't starting. damion responded by coming off the bench with a fire lit under his ass, he killed it, and he got his starting job back.

shaka smart claiming that roach "has a stomach bug" is disingenuous bullshit, which as i've been pointing out is all that ever comes out of shaka smart's mouth. shaka has gotten everything he currently has by cultivating and protecting an image that is only surface deep. the more you look into his history as a coach the more fraudulent that image becomes. shaka is honest and straightforward when it makes him look like mister cool young hip caring guy on the recruiting trail, but his entire public persona is a total horseshit facade that's designed to keep everyone loving him so that he can continue falling upward, something he's done a tremendous job of to this point.

He's a snake oil salesman, and the way he's handling this Roach stuff is chickenshit. I'm sure they'll come out with an official story that says there's nothing to see here, but who are you gonna believe, shaka or your lying eyes?

Edited by Goo Punch

So Sims sat the entire second half. Roach looked perfectly capable of playing. Hamm doesn't play all year except a few minutes of garbage time, then gets 14 minutes against Providence. Is Brock Cunningham gonna start the next game and play 33 minutes? 

Hamm played well... probably the third best horn on the court after Hayes and Ramey

5 hours ago, destroya said:

Gave my ticket to a buddy and didn’t go to or watch the game. My takeaway on Shaka Smart basketball is we’re a good team when we shoot 40% or more on threes or someone has a career game. Otherwise we suck. Unfortunately shooting threes isn’t a strength but has become the default offense cause we don’t have an effective offense. 

Any team is good when they shoot over 40% from 3

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

i don't have a problem with benching a player either. i remember once when rick barnes benched damion james who'd been struggling, and barnes let it be known why damion wasn't starting. damion responded by coming off the bench with a fire lit under his ass, he killed it, and he got his starting job back.

shaka smart claiming that roach "has a stomach bug" is disingenuous bullshit, which as i've been pointing out is all that ever comes out of shaka smart's mouth. shaka has gotten everything he currently has by cultivating and protecting an image that is only surface deep. the more you look into his history as a coach the more fraudulent that image becomes. shaka is honest and straightforward when it makes him look like mister cool young hip caring guy on the recruiting trail, but his entire public persona is a total horseshit facade that's designed to keep everyone loving him so that he can continue falling upward, something he's done a tremendous job of to this point.

He's a snake oil salesman, and the way he's handling this Roach stuff is chickenshit. I'm sure they'll come out with an official story that says there's nothing to see here, but who are you gonna believe, shaka or your lying eyes?

How do you know Roach wasn't really sick?

From what I’ve heard Shaka isn’t a snake oil salesman. I’ve heard he’s genuinely a confused person who doesn’t have a good handle on who he is or who he wants to be. That uncertainty has resulted in strange behavior, which I guess is interfering with his relationships with others. My psychiatrist fee is 9.99 please.

39 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

From what I’ve heard Shaka isn’t a snake oil salesman. I’ve heard he’s genuinely a confused person who doesn’t have a good handle on who he is or who he wants to be. That uncertainty has resulted in strange behavior, which I guess is interfering with his relationships with others. My psychiatrist fee is 9.99 please.

right. I actually agree. he's not 

he truly believes the feel good new age bullshit he throws out will work.  its all he's ever known.

he isn't/wasn't ready for a job in high mid major, much less a P5 like the Big 12.

he's soft and knows close to zero about big time basketball.

he can recruit.  which doesn't require any real basketball knowledge. see Jai Lucas.

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Come on man, would Derka go on a rant without all the facts? 

as if i'm alone in saying this. no fewer than six other people said the same thing here last night, and for obvious reason(s)- namely, people play through stomach bugs all of the time, he damn sure didn't look sick in his seat on the sideline as he was smiling and jumping around, and he was benched the previous game as well. i mean they come out before the game and say, "kerwin roach will dress but won't play tonight with a stomach bug." really?! he's *ruled out* before the game even starts? our senior leader/best player who's been very vocal about using this season to show nba scouts that he's a PG is going to rule himself out of a game with a stomach bug? come on man. it ain't hard to put two and two together. 

Edited by Goo Punch

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

as if i'm alone in saying this. no fewer than six other people said the same thing here last night, and for obvious reason(s)- people play through stomach bugs all of the time, he damn sure didn't look sick in his seat on the sideline as he was smiling and jumping around, and he was benched the previous game as well. put two and two together. 

Maybe it's mono. Maybe it's migraines. Do you know what it is? No? Barnes was notorious for benching players, putting them in his doghouse to the detriment of the team. 

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

Maybe it's mono. Maybe it's migraines. Do you know what it is? No? Barnes was notorious for benching players, putting them in his doghouse to the detriment of the team. 

you're being combative and argumentative just to be that way. listen to the shit you're saying. it wasn't mono, it wasn't a migraine, they announced that he was out with a stomach bug that he'd gotten that day. if you'd like to address anything based on reality go ahead, but don't come yapping at me just because you want to argue about nothing. 

54 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Maybe it's mono. Maybe it's migraines

Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Kerwin pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, immortal13 said:

How do you know Roach wasn't really sick?

This is where I'm at.  While he didn't look sick on the bench, none of us really know so it's pointless to speculate or say Shaka was deceiving us in the reason Roach was held out. 

Roach being sick or not sick doesn't change the perspective people have of Shaka's tenure here.  

1 hour ago, Pancho Negro said:

This is where I'm at.  While he didn't look sick on the bench, none of us really know so it's pointless to speculate or say Shaka was deceiving us in the reason Roach was held out. 

Roach being sick or not sick doesn't change the perspective people have of Shaka's tenure here.  

Are you questioning the all-knowing Derka?

Shaka strikes me as a guy who could've used a lot more seasoning before he became a head coach. He spent 3 years at a mid-major in Akron before working at Clemson for 2 years under Oliver Purnell, but he really needed 3 to 5 years under Billy Donovan before becoming a head coach. Spending only one year with Donovan and then becoming a head coach right after that probably did him a disservice in the long-term. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

Is it too much to ask for Shaka to identify in practice when one or more of his players are shooting like crap because they are being to dominant with their off hand?  Seems pretty basic.  Coaches should be watching and teaching proper shooting alignment to give the players who are not excelling with their shots a chance at a proper shot.  

Of course if they are Jamaal Wilkes with a funky ass shot that is working you leave it alone.  But sub 30% from 3 or sub 60-65% from the charity stripe is cause for intervention.  And it should happen for this team on a game by game basis since it is so hit or miss with their shooting.(mostly miss this year, ha ha)

Maybe it is the assistants who are to blame for this.  But the head coach should be directing them to get the team shooting the fucking ball right.  Contest with the broom so they get proper arc as well.  Maybe it is the players who aren't taking the coaching that they are receiving or can't produce under game pressure.  In that case they need to be taught to get in the zone and let their practice do the work.

/I need to shut up and probably shouldn't have posted this.  So fucking frustrating to see consistently shitting shooting.(at minimum and not accounting for effort)

53 minutes ago, zork said:

Is it too much to ask for Shaka to identify in practice when one or more of his players are shooting like crap because they are being to dominant with their off hand?  Seems pretty basic.  Coaches should be watching and teaching proper shooting alignment to give the players who are not excelling with their shots a chance at a proper shot.  

Of course if they are Jamaal Wilkes with a funky ass shot that is working you leave it alone.  But sub 30% from 3 or sub 60-65% from the charity stripe is cause for intervention.  And it should happen for this team on a game by game basis since it is so hit or miss with their shooting.(mostly miss this year, ha ha)

Maybe it is the assistants who are to blame for this.  But the head coach should be directing them to get the team shooting the fucking ball right.  Contest with the broom so they get proper arc as well.  Maybe it is the players who aren't taking the coaching that they are receiving or can't produce under game pressure.  In that case they need to be taught to get in the zone and let their practice do the work.

/I need to shut up and probably shouldn't have posted this.  So fucking frustrating to see consistently shitting shooting.(at minimum and not accounting for effort)

you're coming to the wrong place for answers. you may recall that back on shaggy i went into great detail opining on our subpar assistant coaches, listing their career accomplishments (or lack thereof), and pointing out that subpar coaches giving subpar coaching results in subpar players. You may also recall that the response was largely, "assistants literally don't matter, stfu derka". so these people don't have any answers about what goes on in practice, or whether or not it affects the team. /dick-ish rant over 

but that is the answer- we are poorly coached. Texas should have a staff where Darrin Horn is the lowest tier coach on the roster, but instead he's been shaka's best assistant by far- and even he isn't that great! He's been blessed with the best big man talent in the league since he'd been here and what have we done with it? DO and Sims are useless, Bamba and Allen did nothing here, while Ridley and Ibeh's one year ended with Texas 0-2 in postseason play, both losses as the favored seed in the conference and ncaa tournaments. 

So maybe I wasn't crazy when I thought that a staff featuring the likes of Jai Lucas and Mike Morrell, a couple of kids with no experience, and David Cason (a 22 year career where his teams *made* the tourney six times, despite stints at Texas, UNC, and ND) wasn't going to cut it in this league. Maybe coaching does matter after all. 

Edited by Goo Punch

On 12/22/2018 at 12:35 PM, Goo Punch said:

i seriously seriously doubt roach was sick. first off, he was benched the game prior. second, "stomach bug" is awful convenient and not all that believable. guys play through stomach bugs all the time, and roach was pretty clearly find. he didn't look tired or sweaty or lacking in energy, he looked totally normal and was smiling and laughing. whether shaka is trying to scapegoat or not i don't know, but he wasn't sick. 

He "didn't look lacking in energy?"

Yeah. Because sitting and clapping on the bench and playing Division 1 basketball at a high level basically require the same amount of energy 🙄

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

He "didn't look lacking in energy?"

Yeah. Because sitting and clapping on the bench and playing Division 1 basketball at a high level basically require the same amount of energy 🙄

We've been over this in pretty great detail to this point, and there's zero chance that he was sick. Nobody gets so severely sick in the morning that he's ruled out of a game hours before it even starts, only to find himself happily jumping around and dancing at said basketball game. The story that he was sick is clearly bullshit.

Edited by Goo Punch