Texas vs Providence- Friday, 8pm on ESPN2

Goo Punch

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The good news is, this will be over soon.

Unless you know some people in the know, I don’t think this is happening. 

Hell, I wouldn’t be shocked to see Shaka coaching here not just next year but the year after that too. 

Just now, Pancho Negro said:

Hell, I wouldn’t be shocked to see Shaka coaching here not just next year but the year after that too. 

Guess the new focus is on building an arena then they’ll care about the product on the court 

3 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I just don’t think you can hope to build a new arena and expect donors to fund it when that’s the shit show you plan on having play in said arena.

No donors will be funding it. It’s being fully funded by the builder/operator. 

Edited by bschoolprof
  • Like 1

no way CDC sits around and just accepts another year (or what's more two years) of this type of indefensible failure. We recruit with the likes of UNC, UK, KU, Gonzaga, and Michigan State, and we recruit *better* than schools like Nova, UVA, and Michigan, and yet we are bottom dwellers in our conference and one of the fundamentally worst teams in America. No way CDC just sits around and says, "sorry guys, hands are tied". If he sees a viable candidate who is available he will go after him. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

I stopped watching when we blew the 20 point lead to Michigan State. Buddy tells me that Shaka has no answers whatsoever and is now resorting to talking about the basketball gods. Is this true? 

He also studied some Nick Saban press conferences on Youtube.

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

no way CDC sits around and just accepts another year (or what's more two years) of this type of indefensible failure. We recruit with the likes of UNC, UK, KU, Gonzaga, and Michigan State, and we recruit *better* than schools like Nova, UVA, and Michigan, and yet we are bottom dwellers in our conference and one of the fundamentally worst teams in America. No way CDC just sits around and says, "sorry guys, hands are tied". If he sees a viable candidate who is available he will go after him. 

I wonder how much the NCAA basketball scandal lowers the pool of available coaches we'd hire?

11 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

It is a huge pet peeve of mine when an announcer says a bad three point shooting team missing an open three is a "good shot". After tonight Texas is shooting 32.2 percent from three which is 259th in the country. They're a bad three point shooting team. It drives me fucking crazy.

It’s a defense of the coach when they say that.

Took the kids tonight. Had good seats. Noticed a few things up close. 

1) Hayes is an impressive physical specimen.

2) That said, he has no actual moves down low. He just looks back outside to our terrible shooters. 

3) This team, like all of Shaka’s is a bad shooting team, but in person it is startling how far off the shots are. We straight up suck at shooting the ball.  Damn. 

4) The Wojo floor slap is embarrassing. I’ve watched maybe 5 games this year and I don’t remember seeing it before. Don’t ever do that again. 

5) I guess I’ve never noticed before, but it’s amazing how many assistant coaches we have. There’s at least 10 guys in suits on our bench. And the best we can come up with is running the 3 man weave with dribble handoffs to start the game?  Then we fall behind and I don’t think we ever made it back. Might’ve gotten within one. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dcar00 said:

we had to shoot lights out(both floor and FT's) to beat purdue by 4 at home.

what are you, dumb? Shaka SAID after that game, or after we beat Grand Canyon or Rio Grande or the Eiffel Tower or whatever, that we shot better and scored efficiently because of adjustments he made to our spacing in the half-court and on the break. So obviously he unmade those changes last night and we suffered for it. Or the dumb, uncoachable players he's stuck with stopped executing his brilliant gameplan.

That is one of the worst aspects of his bitch-ass personality-- his "I coached good, they played bad" appraisal of every loss. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

I think CDC is smart enough to recognize that retaining a coach who plays an unappealing style and fucking loses all the time is a recipe for apathy and bandwagoning.

We haven't hired a lot of basketball coaches here since Bob Weltlich was fired, so it's not entirely meaningful to say "Smart is the worst coach since Bob Weltlich"... I guess we'll need to compare him outside of men's basketball, to guys like Strong, Goestenkoers, etc.

Of all the reasons I"m glad Shithead Steve is gone, the Aggy-esque competing-with-ourselves deals he gave out like Oprah are just about top of the list. Georgetown would have taken Smart off our hands if we hadn't given him $20m reasons to stay, and Georgetown wasn't going/couldn't afford to build Smart such a luxurious safety net. There was never a chance he'd take that job and it was 100% because he knew he'd never get a better contract anywhere.

Thanks, Steve, you fucking cockmunch.

Sometimes fans can over-think a situation. Strong needed his guys. Strong was unlucky. Strong just needed a QB. Shaka needs his guys. Shaka is unlucky. Shaka just needs a point guard.

He just has to be a terrible coach. I’ve never seen a coach do so little with so much talent. We have to move on from him after this year. It’s going to screw up our recruiting class and probably cause a bunch of transfers, but losing bad is going to cause that anyway. CDC needs to find his replacement now and be ready to pull the trigger at the end of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s cool there’s gonna be a new arena, but i will miss being able to get good seats for cheap to watch the Longhorns. I have a feeling I’ll look back on the drum kind of like Reunion Arena or Texas Stadium. Places that were due to be replaced, but their replacements priced out a lot of the fun. JMO. 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Sometimes fans can over-think a situation. Strong needed his guys. Strong was unlucky. Strong just needed a QB. Shaka needs his guys. Shaka is unlucky. Shaka just needs a point guard.

He just has to be a terrible coach. I’ve never seen a coach do so little with so much talent. We have to move on from him after this year. It’s going to screw up our recruiting class and probably cause a bunch of transfers, but losing bad is going to cause that anyway. CDC needs to find his replacement now and be ready to pull the trigger at the end of the season.

this was one of the key reasons people (me included) couldn't wait to show Barnes the door-- we kept bringing in 5* recruits and then they were gone before having even one game where you were like "fuck, that dude's awesome!"

When Myles Turner sat more than he played against Butler, after a season of being stuck in the low post shooting turnaround fallaways, without being in significant foul trouble... wel, I was already done with Barnes but that was the cherry on the shit sundae of 2010-2015.

this was one of the key reasons people (me included) couldn't wait to show Barnes the door-- we kept bringing in 5* recruits and then they were gone before having even one game where you were like "fuck, that dude's awesome!"
When Myles Turner sat more than he played against Butler, after a season of being stuck in the low post shooting turnaround fallaways, without being in significant foul trouble... wel, I was already done with Barnes but that was the cherry on the shit sundae of 2010-2015.

The Barnes situation was different though. He showed the day he walked in the door at Texas that he could coach. I remember how all of the fans said “wow that is how you play defense,” after the Penders “ole” years.

In my opinion, Barnes biggest issue in his later years was his tendency to slow some the offense too much at the end of games, negating his team’s athleticism advantages. It drove me nuts. That, combined with a few years of recruiting some problem players, and probably some complacency, led to his downfall.

That’s why he is winning now. He got off his butt and started working hard again and recruited better guys. I haven’t watched what he does down the stretch of the Tenn games to see if he still slows down the offense too much.

cross posting my post from another board

Things last night I couldn't beleive were happening:

- With Providence double (and sometimes triple) teaming Hayes, various teammates would dribble (for damn near 20+ seconds) only to drive and force a pass to Hayes who is STILL double and triple teamed. It's like the plan was "hey, just dribble around and find a way to throw it into Jaxson." WTF?

- 2nd half was just brutal. Same concept, except this time dribble around for 20+ seconds and when you see an opening, throw something up and pray that it goes it. 

- I get the concept of slapping the floor, but we did that when I was a senior in high school in 2000. Sure, we made it to state and sure, our head coach was on Alford's staff at SW Missouri State when they made the Sweet 16. But that's high school. 

- We went a stretch of about 5+ minutes (guesstimation) in the 2nd half with the score stuck on 50. It was amazing and brutal to watch at the same time. 

I love Texas Basketball so much and want us to be so successful again. I do not believe it will be that way with Smart at the helm (as of now). The problem is, it really wouldn't shock me to see Smart still coaching at Texas both next year and the year after.

• Like 1

So Sims sat the entire second half. Roach looked perfectly capable of playing. Hamm doesn't play all year except a few minutes of garbage time, then gets 14 minutes against Providence. Is Brock Cunningham gonna start the next game and play 33 minutes? 

Edited by Red Five
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I agree.  Let's get someone in who can build their program prior to the new arena opening so we aren't in a rebuild day one.  

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

So Sims sat the entire second half. Roach looked perfectly capable of playing. Hamm doesn't play all year except a few minutes of garbage time, then gets 14 minutes against Providence. Is Brock Cunningham gonna start the next game and play 33 minutes? 

I hope not. Redshirt Cunningham. Don't Denzel Okafor him.

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

the dude plays mind games with his players. he also has no clue what he's doing. 

44 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The Barnes situation was different though. He showed the day he walked in the door at Texas that he could coach. I remember how all of the fans said “wow that is how you play defense,” after the Penders “ole” years.

In my opinion, Barnes biggest issue in his later years was his tendency to slow some the offense too much at the end of games, negating his team’s athleticism advantages. It drove me nuts. That, combined with a few years of recruiting some problem players, and probably some complacency, led to his downfall.

That’s why he is winning now. He got off his butt and started working hard again and recruited better guys. I haven’t watched what he does down the stretch of the Tenn games to see if he still slows down the offense too much.

I don't disagree w/anything there-- just saying that it's painfully reminiscent of later-stage Barnes to bring in the kind of recruits Smart is signing and not really accomplish anything as a program.

I don't care if it's 1982 or 2018, the best way to win at a program like Texas is to bring in the best players you can-- meaning, in nine cases out of ten, terrific athletes-- and then turn them loose. We are bringing the athletes but Smart is forcing them into a torpid, reactive system that doesn't maximize anything but his sense of control. We should be extremely aggressive on defense, pressing and pushing tempo, and we should be trying to parlay that defensive aggressiveness into transition offense, even when that means we give up some easy baskets.  

This is where a Shaka defender would-- or, it being Surly, will-- say "but we are already doing those things and you just can't tell". And let me give that the response it deserves: bullshit. Although I will grant we still do manage to give up easy baskets.

Edited by SwanderedTalent

Attending the game is much worse as the full level of ineptitude is so broadly apparent.  DO aggressively backs down the defender then timidly takes the shot to open the game.  WTF.  Providence easily traps the stupid weave in the first half and there is no adjustment by Texas in the second half.  Since the weave doesn't work then it's just one on one shit basketball.

Watch Providence and there is a pick in the lane and Hayes can't defend the easy 10 foot jump shot.  Texas was as bad on defense this game as they were on offense.  Providence had a high number of unforced turnovers to keep Texas in the game.  Even the floor slaps were discordant. Fans blaming the refs and not the coaches.  Texas basketball is Koyaanisqatsi.

Highlight of the night for me was shaking TJ Ford's hand.  Ballers from SW Houston.

Had to dvr the game because of a family Christmas thingy, read the board this morning and deleted it and didn’t watch it over morning coffee.

so was roach sick or suspended I didn’t ever see for sure?

im out 110% out on Shaka. I think Shaka stays another two years and I wanna be wrong but have a friend that coaches in division 1 and I know a nba scout that have both told me the same story and that is Shaka is loved by the athletic department and they said like really adored. Now losing a lot can change that quick so only way he gets the boot according to them is a complete collapse. Of course take that with a grain of salt because we all have “friends” and everyone has “heard” something. But it’s believable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Had to dvr the game because of a family Christmas thingy, read the board this morning and deleted it and didn’t watch it over morning coffee.

so was roach sick or suspended I didn’t ever see for sure?

im out 110% out on Shaka. I think Shaka stays another two years and I wanna be wrong but have a friend that coaches in division 1 and I know a nba scout that have both told me the same story and that is Shaka is loved by the athletic department and they said like really adored. Now losing a lot can change that quick so only way he gets the boot according to them is a complete collapse. Of course take that with a grain of salt because we all have “friends” and everyone has “heard” something. But it’s believable.

He sure didn’t look sick on the bench.  

And I believe you when it comes to Shaka.  I just don’t get the sense that Shaka will be fired this year.