Beer 2019, imo.

HenryJames

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Zilker's Coffee Milk Stout is delicious and way better than anything from ABW. 

imo

I'd take Sputnik but it's not available full time, obviously.  The Zilker Friends With Benefits was awesome this year and I wish I would have bought out my HEB when they had it.

Al_4_isu you’re probably the only one that can help me with Iowa recs. I’ll be in the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City then Manchester areas. Is there anything there worth checking out or looking for?

Absolutely.

Franklin Street in Manchester is an excellent brewery. Waaay better than you would expect for, well, Manchester.

Cedar Rapids has a solid beer scene. Lion Bridge and Iowa Brewing Co are the tops there, IMO. The owner of Toppling Goliath once told me he thought they were the best in the state at brewing to style. They make some of the best everyday porters and English milds I’ve had. They’ve upped their IPA game recently and are crushing those. Pretty good food, and Czech Town is a cool area. Iowa Brewing is across the river, and just does everything well. I don’t know that they’re quite as good as Lion Bridge, but worth a stop.

In Iowa City, it starts and ends with Big Grove. Backpocket is decent, especially if you’re close by, but nothing quite stands up to Big Grove. IC has a surprisingly poor beer scene given its size, tradition of being the hip college town, and Iowa punching above its weight with beer in general. But Big Grove rocks. Huge taproom with live music, excellent food, and a wide variety of really good beer. Sours, IPAs, big stouts. Really nice outdoor space.

Enjoy your trip. You’re getting a solid slice of eastern Iowa. Let me know if you want any food recs.

How does it compare to the rest of the Turning Point TIPA stable? 

I do believe this is my first one from them.

I missed out on Azor Ahai, A Nu Start, Johnny Karate, Burt Macklin, Trifecta, etc. I think I have only been patronizing them since Johnny Karate and Azor Ahai, though.

It’s goddamn good, though. Juicy af for 10.5%.

no kidding.  I'm pretty sure every beer trend started as a fuck up. 

aw shit, this batch is infected  -> call it a sour.

aww shit we forgot to filter out all this yeast and trub and shit -> call it a hazy ipa

aww shit, we fucked up the mash this one fermented too dry  -> call it a brut

aww shit, we fucked up our efficiency this one watery -> drp hop it, call it a session ipa

occams razor and all.

• Like 2

Amen.

Heard they're going to file for bankruptcy and reorganize, and they've got someone else willing to pay more money to keep them afloat.

If true, that is a real sucker investor, but as long as I still get me some Celis, then I'll allow it.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 2