Beer 2019, imo.

HenryJames

7 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Would like a comment. Those have been shelf turds and I’m wondering why since I haven’t bought one either.

Outstanding spin on parabola. Classic parabola nose but taste is tannic with a strong cab-like finish. Its turding because everything is turding these days due to saturation

I picked up Barrel Aged Darkness (no limit, were maybe 14 on the shelf) this week (released in april) at a gas station just north of Crosslake, Minnesota. Also saw it at a few other small liquor stores in the northwoods area this week. Crazy what sits around these days

• Like 2

Outstanding spin on parabola. Classic parabola nose but taste is tannic with a strong cab-like finish. Its turding because everything is turding these days due to saturation

I picked up Barrel Aged Darkness (no limit, were maybe 14 on the shelf) this week (released in april) at a gas station just north of Crosslake, Minnesota. Also saw it at a few other small liquor stores in the northwoods area this week. Crazy what sits around these days

I grabbed one just for science last week. Will drink eventually.

Found out there was a new brewery in the Dallas metroplex which was having their grand opening today on Father’s Day and decided that was a good excuse to check it out.

Brutal Beerworks in North Richland Hills.

Line out the door when we pulled up (which I was kind of expecting). Smallish venue in a strip mall about 5 minutes away or so from Turning Point. Line moved pretty though and glad we got in before the storms rolled through as some were waiting out in the rain it looked like. Nice but small setup. Very cool logo (which reminds me of Alverado Street’s Vengeful Barbarian can art)

Hazy IPAs were the best with the mosaic and citra hopped Cosmic Slaughter being the winner. Their trio of “dreamscicle” milkshake IPAs (see what I did there) were just OK (though I’m not a big fan or dreamscicles so a dreamscicle IPA is probably never gonna do that much for me). Their two stouts weren’t bad but a little thin for my taste.

Hard to judge a brewery on their first day of operation. Will definitely check out again when they get more up and running...especially if also going to nearby Turning Point.

1c1227b523ea7823164e7c1b3baf4510.jpg

0d777dce8bc79f486fb9383a5a558fbe.jpg

673fc377a5528b42d5e6ee21ecfa1f03.jpg

743f95f2d81631d2c022771a16f252a4.jpg

2bd7a8be708a495dad237d763871660f.jpg

fcb353490fc8e1d163a1183e4f903ec8.jpg

febc0bbabe243aee3717a092bef7e7f0.jpg

5ed9d0a8637fe5b199939aa03773cd38.jpg

Speaking of...also used that trip as an excuse to stop by Turning Point. In particular, I wanted to try a pour of their 15.3% barrel aged stout Laser Cannon Deth Sentence...especially since I saw that there were literally lines around the back of the building when it was released in bottles last week (which sounded like a shit show as there were no bottle limits [which I understand will no longer be the case] and so it went incredibly quick in bottles as people were lined up well prior to the brewery’s opening that day and some were apparently buying cases without having tried it). Really, really tasty barrel aged stout that I’m really glad I got to try on draft and also really glad I didn’t wait in a line for (not that I would for almost any beer).

Insufferable beer nerd out.

Found out there was a new brewery in the Dallas metroplex which was having their grand opening today on Father’s Day and decided that was a good excuse to check it out.

Line out the door when we pulled up (which I was kind of expecting). Smallish venue in a strip mall about 5 minutes away or so from Turning Point. Line moved pretty though and glad we got in before the storms rolled through as some were waiting out in the rain it looked like. Nice but small setup. Very cool logo (which reminds me of Alverado Street’s Vengeful Barbarian can art)

Hazy IPAs were the best with the mosaic and citra hopped Cosmic Slaughter being the winner. Their trio of “dreamscicle” milkshake IPAs (see what I did there) were just OK (though I’m not a big fan or dreamscicles so a dreamscicle IPA is probably never gonna do that much for me). Their two stouts weren’t bad but a little thin for my taste.

Hard to judge a brewery on their first day of operation. Will definitely check out again when they get more up and running...especially if also going to nearby Turning Point.

Speaking of...also used that trip as an excuse to stop by Turning Point. In particular, I wanted to try a pour of their 15.3% barrel aged stout Laser Cannon Deth Sentence...especially since I saw that there were literally lines around the back of the building when it was released in bottles last week (which sounded like a shit show as there were no bottle limits [which I understand will no longer be the case] and so it went incredibly quick in bottles as people were lined up well prior to the brewery’s opening that day and some were apparently buying cases without having tried it). Really, really tasty barrel aged stout that I’m really glad I got to try on draft and also really glad I didn’t wait in a line for (not that I would for almost any beer).

Negged for failing to post badges.

2 hours ago, mdleast said:

They need to limit shit like that to 2 per person.  I didn't even bother trying to get any at release but did have it on tap and it's solid.  

I go to Turning Point all the time now to get to beer to go. Still not sure how they actually get away with being a brewpub since they just have food trucks (I guess that is allowed).

I saw a post about Brutal on my NextDoor a few days ago but forgot about it. Looks like they are 2 miles away from me. Neat.

3 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I go to Turning Point all the time now to get to beer to go. Still not sure how they actually get away with being a brewpub since they just have food trucks (I guess that is allowed).

I saw a post about Brutal on my NextDoor a few days ago but forgot about it. Looks like they are 2 miles away from me. Neat.

Brash has been doing that for a while.

13 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Its just a category of license. Doesn't have anything to do with food, just a bunch of arbitrary caps and laws that benefit the wholesalers. As of Sept 1st, it won't matter.

• Like 2

So their FB post stated their beer wasn’t properly carbonated yesterday and they apologized for it.

Also found out that one of the guys is former lead brewer at Martin House.

On 6/16/2019 at 1:31 PM, CooterBrown said:

Sperry Slides mango IPA at Pinthouse. Legit.

ef1c50007785249715b0865505adef09.jpg

I had a McConaughey's Pockets (who doesn't want to taste that?) at S Lamar and was quite tasty.  I haven't eaten there but a few times but I'm now fully on board the Pizza Rolls >>> Pizza train at PHP.

On 3/13/2019 at 7:08 PM, Grimas said:

I am down in New Braunfels and went to refill my growler (Growlerwerks 128) and the gal at the bar said I need to have a label on it per some new TABC regulation that went into law within the past 6 months.  She said the required label is similar to the warning label on a hard alcohol bottle.  I did a google search and couldn’t find anything about this being required...  anyone point me to this regulation? 

(She still filled my growler but it’s news to me...)

On 3/13/2019 at 8:08 PM, Llano Estacado said:

Not a lawdog. Think it’s federal, SG Warning. Had 1 guy at Bunker Hill HEB point it out to me repeatedly, when they were open.

Got this or something similar years ago for a glass growler I always seemed to want filled when he was on shift. Other glass has it printed in the back. My SS growlers have it etched on the bottom.

(Medium 3 Pack) Alcohol / Beer / Wine - Government Warning Label for Growlers - Vinyl Self Adhesive Labels
by Nichols LTD
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EM8669Y/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_awdb_0FAICb91GA9ZR

Good info here. I got the 64 oz Growlerwerks for Father’s Day, so ordered some labels from Amazon.  Looking forward to my first fill. Probably try it out at No Label Brewing Co in Katy. 

7 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I’m on my last night of my annual trip with my German cousin and her family. We go to the beach in France but I’m back in Germany and wanted to just mention that, I love Bier

Is her name Meike by any chance? If so, does she need a pen pal? 

30 minutes ago, Dangit said:

Is her name Meike by any chance? If so, does she need a pen pal? 

Bettina, no pictures. No pen pals.

And no, you can’t come to spa in Sinsheim, or Baden-Baden, with us. Perv  /sarc

It’s her son, my Godson, I mentioned in the Bundesliga thread who is on German National U19 and in Borrusia Moenchengladbach U19 team.

oh, and I’m drunk.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

Perhaps he's demonstrating his growth as a beer drinker, by showing us all of the various generic and overdone draft IPAs he passed up, in order to consume the superior bottled barrel aged pilsner?

Edited by utee94