2017-2018 PGA Tour

bigup2dahorns

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

He didn't play this year due to injury.
Do you tell people to tap the brakes on Tiger, because he hasn't won a major in over 10 years?
I'd think that back to back US Opens and a PGA all in 14 months would get some folks pretty hyped, but maybe that's just me

No one is saying to not get hyped about how good Koepka is and can be. People are saying to slow down a little on talking about how he’s going to make the current setup at Augusta National irrelevant because he’s so dominant.

I typically hate dealing in what might have been, but had Scott not fallen apart, or Tiger have a couple strokes go the other way, part of this conversation would be about those shortish putts that Koepka should have had on the back nine. 

After seeing what Koepka can do off the tee, and watching him do it with the white hot spotlight of tiger woods’ comeback a hole a head of him, I can’t wait to see what he can to at the masters next year. 

Being able to bomb the ball does very little to take the teeth out of Augusta National. 

We've all seen what that course can do to more accomplished golfers with a wedge in their hand.

Edited by heso

So if you don’t like Tiger you are “that guy”?
No, but you can't deny the level of excitement ramps up exponentially when he's making a run. That's good for viewers, that's good for golf, that's good for fans, and that's just fucking fun. I can't say I've ever been a Tiger fan, but he's a compelling figure and I was disappointed on 17 when he shanked his drive. I wanted to see BK (who played awesome and answered all challenges) go head to head in a playoff with Tiger.

I want to see all these young guys face that Tiger stare down and compete. And win. And lose. The dynamic right now is very friendly with all the young guns getting along and rooting for each other. It's competitive, and they are all awesome golfers, but having Tiger back in the mix as the outsider is amazing. Golf and sports in general is better when there's real competition. Jack and Tom. Connors and McEnroe. To a lesser extent Tiger and Phil. I don't want Spieth greenside like a wife waiting to congratulate JT. I want him in the locker room pissed off. That's competing.

BK deserves the credit for an awesome performance and he stood up to the charge. The shit on 16 was epic. That's fun, fun stuff to watch. I imagine it will be better the next couple years as Tiger continue to refine his game.

BK has a chip on his shoulder and I like that. I think he wants Tiger to be there in the majors so he can beat him again. And he probably will. The guy's an animal.

Tiger is great and maybe the greatest of all time, but party of what made him great was how invincible he was compared to the other guys on tour. He doesn't have that advantage now and if he can come back and won a major now, it would be his greatest accomplishment. One of the greatest in sports.

2 hours ago, Mileslong said:

You should write a letter to Speith to tell him how he should compete.

I can tell you are a big golf fan and an even bigger Spieth fan. I don't think Jack and Tom shared a house during the majors. Sports are exciting when there's some genuine dislike of the other team/player - or at the very least you aren't the bestest of friends.

It's why rivalry games are better than non-rivalry games. Disagree if you want and enjoy Texas-TCU or Matt Kuchar battle Keegan Bradley (these are two other Pro Golfers, fyi). I'll take Texas-OU and Tiger vs the young generation. It's more exciting, even if you don't like Tiger. If you had watched Tiger demoralize the field for 10+ years and inspire this great generation of young golfers, you would understand why its exciting when he's in contention.

3 hours ago, Mileslong said:

oh yes, just because i don't gargle tigers balls im ignore worthy, jesus h...

It isn't about gargling Tiger's balls. I didn't like him before and don't really like him now. I think its very interesting to watch someone chase Jack's record in the Majors even if I don't particularly like the guy doing it. It's history. It was thought to be an impossible record and yet Tiger was there and ready to do it in his early 30's. It would have been an amazing story.

I remember watching the news coverage when the story broke about his wreck and wife going after him with a club and thinking it was one of the biggest news stories in sports history. It really was - he was the greatest golfer of all time and it basically wrecked his very, very good opportunity to break Jack's all-time record. Obviously his back and health would also play a major factor - but at the time, this was just an enormous story. His comeback after a decade of not winning a major is also an enormous story - regardless of whether or not you like him. It's like MJ retiring, playing baseball, and then coming back to win more championships. It was exciting and it didn't take gargling MJ's balls to recognize that fact.

@houstonHorn

Don't look now but Tiger is good friends with some of today's players, including JT. There are many pictures of them hanging out together.

Have you played competitive golf? Because I'll tell you that there was nobody I liked beating more than my best friends (and a couple of them are cousins), absolutely nothing - but if I was out of contention then I would root for them.

All sports have this type of rivalry - watch hockey and you'll see guys take someone hard into the boards and then chat it up after the game. Maybe it is the preponderance of AAU type sporting these days, but the best kids have all played together for years as they progress up through the ranks.

All that hate is going to burn you up

33 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

I can tell you are a big golf fan and an even bigger Spieth fan. I don't think Jack and Tom shared a house during the majors. Sports are exciting when there's some genuine dislike of the other team/player - or at the very least you aren't the bestest of friends.

It's why rivalry games are better than non-rivalry games. Disagree if you want and enjoy Texas-TCU or Matt Kuchar battle Keegan Bradley (these are two other Pro Golfers, fyi). I'll take Texas-OU and Tiger vs the young generation. It's more exciting, even if you don't like Tiger. If you had watched Tiger demoralize the field for 10+ years and inspire this great generation of young golfers, you would understand why its exciting when he's in contention.

um i understand it's more exciting when tiger is competing, i just have a problem with fanbois who jump all over you when say you don't care for the guy.  i like rooting against him, that doesnt make me a bad guy, tiger is a bad guy.  i like rooting for good guys. and if you have checked, i was replying to Lurch, not you...

Edited by Mileslong
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

@houstonHorn

Don't look now but Tiger is good friends with some of today's players, including JT. There are many pictures of them hanging out together.

Have you played competitive golf? Because I'll tell you that there was nobody I liked beating more than my best friends (and a couple of them are cousins), absolutely nothing - but if I was out of contention then I would root for them. 

All sports have this type of rivalry - watch hockey and you'll see guys take someone hard into the boards and then chat it up after the game. Maybe it is the preponderance of AAU type sporting these days, but the best kids have all played together for years as they progress up through the ranks.

All that hate is going to burn you up

To each their own. No hate. I just think heated rivalries are more exciting to watch as a fan than friendly rivalries. You disagree. I played competitive golf (although not nearly as competitive as I would have liked). We have a difference of opinions and that's ok. I actually think sports is quite a bit more boring than it used to be for the reason you mention. Sports is just a business now and these guys all know each other.

I prefer Lee Trevino playing someone at his local club for $5 he doesn't have. I liked Seve's gamesmanship. I loved Jack's killer instinct and knack for hitting the demoralizing shot or back-breaking putt. I don't like Patrick Reed, but its fun to watch his competitiveness and lack of give a shit what other people think about him. I love hating Ian fucking Poulter during the Ryder Cup because he's a fantastic competitor who never quits and never misses a crucial putt.

Tiger was fun when he was staring down his opponents, beating them with his "C" game and crushing their necks by 10 strokes in majors. I don't think that Tiger is the same one as today and I don't know that the old Tiger would have spent much time yukking it up with JT.

Y.E. Yang, Elin Nordegren, and his desire for pissing on Waffle House waitresses ruined his air of invincibility. His back finished off the job. But its still a lot of fun to watch him stalk on the last round of a major. No offense to the Webb Simpson's and Lucas Glover's of the golfing world.

Get off of my yard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

um i understand it's more exciting when tiger is competing, i just have a problem with fanbois who jump all over you when say you don't care for the guy.  i like rooting against him, that doesnt make me a bad guy, tiger is a bad guy.  i like rooting for good guys. and if you have checked, i was replying to Lurch, not you...

Yes you were. I was mostly responding to the fact that there's a big difference between hating the guy and gagging on his cock and one can appreciate the excitement he brings without swallowing said cock.

2 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

He'll fall off at some point.  See DJ, Spieth, Rory, Tiger, etc.  2019 should be awesome with Pebble and Bethpage.

Here's a big surprise.  Ratings for yesterday were huge

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-championship-2018-tiger-woods-delivers-the-pgas-best-tv-ratings-since-well-the-last-time-he-almost-won

This. Remember the stretch David Duval had? 

He'll fall off at some point.  See DJ, Spieth, Rory, Tiger, etc.  2019 should be awesome with Pebble and Bethpage.
Here's a big surprise.  Ratings for yesterday were huge
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-championship-2018-tiger-woods-delivers-the-pgas-best-tv-ratings-since-well-the-last-time-he-almost-won

So DJ has fallen off? Current world #1. #1 in FedEx points #2 on money.

I just wish the announcers wouldn't go overboard with their Tiger praise, hell a straightforward bunker shot for anyone else turns into the greatest shot in the history of the game for Tiger, it's a fucking beating.
Agreed when he's shooting a 71 and playing himself out of contention. Less so when he's shooting a 64.

12 hours ago, heso said:

No one is saying to not get hyped about how good Koepka is and can be. People are saying to slow down a little on talking about how he’s going to make the current setup at Augusta National irrelevant because he’s so dominant.

I typically hate dealing in what might have been, but had Scott not fallen apart, or Tiger have a couple strokes go the other way, part of this conversation would be about those shortish putts that Koepka should have had on the back nine. 

After seeing what Koepka can do off the tee, and watching him do it with the white hot spotlight of tiger woods’ comeback a hole a head of him, I can’t wait to see what he can to at the masters next year. 

Being able to bomb the ball does very little to take the teeth out of Augusta National. 

We've all seen what that course can do to more accomplished golfers with a wedge in their hand.

If you play what if for Tiger and Scott you have to do the same for Koepke. If Koepke hits a few of those putts then he is up by around 5 strokes at the end, right?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

How do you decide who the good guys are? You know all these guys personally? Man that’s awesome. 

i didn't know hitler personally but by reading others that knew him very well and by studying his actions, i actually developed my own opinion as to whether he was a good guy or not and I say hitler wasn't.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match about Tiger, since that is who you are referencing, just read the recent book about him.  read quotes from Mark O'Meara and Tim Scott who know him very well as an example.  now if you want to say that you don't care about any athletes personal life just their performance then i totally get that, just don't tell me he is a good guy.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Exactly. And if Jordan can replay three bad holes he's in contention.

Yeah. I'm not a Tiger Woods hater. I don't particularly like him. But I think that comes more as a result from the fellatio the media gives Woods.

There are hundreds of shots, by all sorts of players, during a golf tournament day that could really change things, good and bad, all through the leaderboard.

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Like 2

Yeah. I'm not a Tiger Woods hater. I don't particularly like him. But I think that comes more as a result from the fellatio the media gives Woods.
There are hundreds of shots, by all sorts of players, during a golf tournament day that could really change things, good and bad, all through the leaderboard.

Username does NOT check out
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

If you play what if for Tiger and Scott you have to do the same for Koepke. If Koepke hits a few of those putts then he is up by around 5 strokes at the end, right?

No doubt about that, and why I typically hate dealing in what ifs. Koepka could have just as easily won by 5 as lose by 1. He made the shots he needed to while everyone else did not. What I was saying had nothing to do with tiger. My point didn’t matter who was in second or third.

My only reason in using that argument was to illustrate that this wasn’t Rory at congressional or tiger at Pebble. Koepka is playing some of the best golf in the world right now, but suggesting that he’s going to make the current setup at Augusta irrelevant, which is what I was responding to, is laughable when he hasn’t even finished in the top 10 in the masters yet. 

45 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Why is the PGA Championship being moved up next year?  I don't follow the tour closely enough to know.  Is it because of the course?

It is being moved because they want to end the FedEx playoffs before football season starts, and there year end calendar was too crowded with The (British) Open, The PGA, a WGC event, and the playoffs.
So they choose to jiggle the entire calendar and moved the PGA to early in the year, and pushed The Players Championship to an earlier date also.

I don't think it had anything to do with the course, however playing it early will eliminate northern courses from the rotation.

Edited by Wally Fairway

It is being moved because they want to end the FedEx playoffs before football season starts, and there year end calendar was too crowded with The (British) Open, The PGA, a WGC event, and the playoffs.
So they choose to jiggle the entire calendar and moved the PGA to early in the year, and pushed The Players Championship to an earlier date also.
I don't think it had anything to do with the course, however playing it early will eliminate northern courses from the rotation.

2019 PGA is at Bethpage Black in NY

1 hour ago, bigup2dahorns said:

2019 PGA is at Bethpage Black in NY

That was determined before the schedule change, here is the current listing of future PGA Championship sites:
2019 - Bethpage Black, Farmingdale, NY
2020 - TPC Harding Park, San Francisco, CA
2021 - Kiawah Island, Kiawah Island, SC
2022 - Trump National, Bedminster, NJ
2023 - Oak Hill CC, Pittsford, NY
2024 - Valhalla GC, Louisville, KY
2027 - Aronimink GC, Newton Square, PA
2028 - Olympic Club, San Francisco, CA
2029 - Baltusrol GC, Springfield, NJ

So actually a fair number of northern courses.

Crazy finish to the US Am playoff - 2 guys advance to 18, with birdies on 17.

Bergeron to hit his 2nd shot puts it right with a tree affecting his wedge, Kuest puts his shot into the ocean has to drop 70'ish yards back. Bergeron chooses to play short of the green rather than challenge the tree and trap in his way and the Kuest then plays his 4th short, chips to about 6 feet and then 3 whack-its after needing to make it for a bogey.
Bergeron wins the playoff with a bogey to Kuests triple bogey 8 (ouch)

And the field is complete and match is underway.

On 8/13/2018 at 11:08 AM, heso said:

No offense but you’re wrong. I am one of those that think hitting it long is by far the easiest way to score at Augusta because of the simple reason it allows you to hit a lofted club into the holes that typically sink players. I would gladly go holeby hole, but no one wants to read that. Most players get in trouble there because though they hit the green, they hit the wrong fucking side because they were forced to hit their approach with a mid to long iron. Anything other that a true golf shot very well may land on the green, but so fucking what. Undulations that can be measured in feet, and are super fast, with breaks measured in double digit break make most look silly. You must hit the correct location of the green! 

In full disclosure I have played the National well over +50 Times going back to 1975. From the days I carried a 3 to my current 12 handicap. Many times shortly after the tournament. And though the greens had settled down from the tournament setup running +12 on the stimpmeter, they still ran quick as fuck. Evening going back to the early days before the sub-air, Tift 31, and immaculate grooming.

Length off of the tee is so fucking important for two simple reasons. But hell, don’t take my word for it. Pull up every scoring record since its inception and look at what the player who set a scoring record scored on the par fives. Tigers record shows the most discrepancy. He wasn’t much off of par on the 4’s, but he obliterated the 5’s. While he was putting for eagles the rest of the field were settling for a birdie. And why he lapped the field, averaging 341 yards off the tee.

However the most obvious advantage today’s longer hitter gets to enjoy (besides the putting for eagles on the 5’s.) is the competitor that can keep his +340 drive where they mow on a 500 yard par 4 has given themselves the huge advantage of hitting a 9 or wedge into the par 4’s (like Brooks was doing at the PGA). Offsetting the courses primary defense design that Jones and McCalister built into it. They knew that very few (if any in any era up until the wound and or Balatta ball) could hit the correct tier and quadrant with a long iron back in those days (it is still fucking hard to do). But with the 45” shaft driver, the solid core ball, and the more athletic player hitting the +320 drives naybe has not neutralized this once solid defensive measure. But brought much more of the field into play.

The National’s secondary defense rests on a player being able to hit both a left to right AND a right to left shaped shot. But Brooks just won a major that didn’t have a SINGLE dog leg right. He was so solid he shaped his preferred shot shape perfectly on almost every dog leg left. An impressive display of skill. And I will give you the very hole that this can easily be a two shot swing almost every time if you can’t hit a draw....10. If you have been there...and walked that hilly bastard you know that if you hit the draw, just an average carry of 260, you will have no more then a 5 maybe 6 iron in your hand for your second because of the extreme lay of the land. And that’s ME! And I’m 60 years old! But hit a fade? And your ass is looking at 3 or some type of utility club. And you better catch that bitch on the screws, off of an unlevel lie, to a green that is ass fast, undulating and enticing you to miss left.....which if you do your fucked.

But, I made my original prediction pages back based on Brooks ability to duplicate his driving performance during the PGA. If he doesn’t he will see why Trevino hated the fucking place. And full disclosure I have played the place with Trevino. His fued with the man I will not write about in this Forum because it is against protocol was a shame. I really believe if he would have played those years he very well may have won at least one Masters when you compare him to the eventual winners of that period. 

So you don’t have to agree with me, as it is just my opinion based on how I see the layout. But it is based on my own experience playing the course as a golfer. Not some fucking observer.

You can base your opinion on whatever the hell you want. Your 50+ rounds hasn’t given you a damn bit of insight that the rest of us in this thread don’t have. You’ve apparently done some awesome shit and have played a course that I’m never going to do more that walk outside the ropes at, but that doesn’t make your hot take on Koepka rebuilding Augusta National any less wrong.

Recent winners and where they ranked in driving distance that year:

Reed - 71

Sergio - 33

Willett - not ranked, avg 288 would be about 125th

Speith - 78

Bubba - 2

Scott - 23

Bubba - 1

Schwartzel - 43

Phil - 13

Cabrera - 8

Immelmann - 66

Zack - 166

The 4 lowest scores of the last 15 years were guys that ranked 71, 78, 13, 43 in driving distance. 

Even big bomber Bubba with two wins in the top 2 in driving distance those two years didn’t do shit to make the course setup irrelevant. His other finishes since his first win: 50, 38, 37, cut, 5. 

Koepka is near the top of golf right now. He has no top 10s at Augusta. The masters isn’t going to do shit in response to him this year. They aren’t going to do shit in response to him unless he suddenly turns into the second coming of tiger woods. And he sure as shit isn’t doing that. 

Feel free to bump this so everyone can neg rep me when Koepka wins his 3rd masters and we’re talking about Koepka-proofing Augusta National. 

Trevino didn’t hate Augusta, he hated Clifford Roberts. He held the 36 hole lead there a couple of times, the course was never his issue. 

I love how you pass this off as your own take.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-devil-ball-golf/lee-trevino-explains-why-he-skipped-the-masters-for-3-years-in-his-prime-141055740-golf.html