Recommend me some travel ideas

wild_turkey

Wife and I are trying to plan some vacations for this year. We have trips to Telluride (skiing), St. Barth (beach), Vegas, and SF/Napa already on the schedule.

We'd like to add a week long trip somewhere in late summer, probably in July-August time frame. We would fly out of DFW and it would need to be under 9-10 days total (Fri-Sun). Our tentative plan was some combination of Lake Como, Amalfi, and Capri. These are places in Italy we haven't been and are high on our bucket list. We're aware it will be hot and crowded in late summer. We'd probably aim for July because it would be slightly better than August. We have done Europe in the summer before and it was fine, but we aren't dead set on this plan.

I'm open to other ideas and thought surly could help me think outside the box. We like the outdoors and we like good food. Not too big on museums and tourist attractions. 

Other places we have some level of interest in are Northern France, Costa Rica, Iceland, Thailand, Ireland, Kauai, Banff, Maldives, and French Polynesia.

Hit me with some ideas.

Fly into Milan and branch out from there.  It is a short train ride to Lake Como and a Short train ride to Amalfi.  The Tour de France mountain stage would be cool and you could access that from Milan pretty easy.  They do the Alps after the Pyrenes this year during the last week of July 

3 minutes ago, Litig8r said:

Fly into Milan and branch out from there.  It is a short train ride to Lake Como and a Short train ride to Amalfi.  The Tour de France mountain stage would be cool and you could access that from Milan pretty easy.  They do the Alps after the Pyrenes this year during the last week of July 

It’s a LONG train ride from Como to Amalfi.  About 10 hours.  

If you are open to something other than summer sun, that's a perfect time to head south of the equator.  We went to Argentina in late July/August and had to pack winter clothes.  It was a fantastic break from the heat.  We stayed in BA mostly, but went out to an estancia to get out in the country, ride horses, etc.  I am not sure what the mountains are like at that time of year,  but the city was really nice.  Great food and walking for sure.

If you’re into wine a stop in florence or the Tuscan countryside would break up that long trip to the Amalfi coast.  Maybe at an agritourismo in the Chianti Classico region. 

I stayed on Capri in September.  If I did it again I’d stay on the Amalfi coast and day trip to Capri.  Be forewarned, Capri is very expensive.  The shopping is Rodeo Drive on steroids. 

Edited by VABuckeye

I highly recommend Kauai 

Northern Italy is great but I would do that in Sept/Oct

Iceland - never been. Friends have. loved it. get out of the heat

What about Alaska? Most stunningly beautiful place I have ever been.  I did it last time for 14 days, but I am sure in 10 you can make it work

Make sure to check out the rainy/dry season timing for anything in Central or northern South America as it can be total opposite from mountains and/or beach or Pacific and/or Caribbean 

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

It’s a LONG train ride from Como to Amalfi.  About 10 hours.  

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

If you’re into wine a stop in florence or the Tuscan countryside would break up that long trip to the Amalfi coast.  Maybe at an agritourismo in the Chianti Classico region. 

I stayed on Capri in September.  If I did it again I’d stay on the Amalfi coast and day trip to Capri.  Be forewarned, Capri is very expensive.  The shopping is Rodeo Drive on steroids. 

That's a small logistical dilemma going between Como and Amalfi. I would assume we would fly into Milan and then train to Como, then later take a Ryanair/Easyjet type flight down to Naples, do Amalfi/Capri, then hopefully fly home out of Naples or Rome. 

I like the Tuscany idea but we did Tuscany 2 years ago. We've also done Cinque Terre twice, Rome twice, and Venice. Como and Amalfi are the main areas we haven't been, although I'm sure there's plenty more stuff to see in Italy.

Thanks for the tip on Capri. I'm not sure shopping was one of our goals, but good to keep cost in perspective.

1 hour ago, DFWTexEx said:

If you are open to something other than summer sun, that's a perfect time to head south of the equator.  We went to Argentina in late July/August and had to pack winter clothes.  It was a fantastic break from the heat.  We stayed in BA mostly, but went out to an estancia to get out in the country, ride horses, etc.  I am not sure what the mountains are like at that time of year,  but the city was really nice.  Great food and walking for sure.

I do like that idea but I don't know that we want to go during their winter. The same would apply to Patagonia, New Zealand, and Australia. All of those are interesting to us, but probably moreso in their summer months.

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Not a bad idea. I've always been curious about Alaska, just kinda forget it's up there.

Its great. Denali is wonderful. Renting a car and driving from Anchorage to Seward, or even all the way to Homer - all great. Can go hiking, fishing, camping, etc. And also have great dining experiences and shit like that. love it there. 

outdoors and food - checks all those boxes bigtime. 

Detroit is beautiful any time of year but late Summer especially. You could do a pedal pub. They are supposed to be rolling out tiki pedal pubs on the river this summer. If you don't have enough in your party it wouldn't be hard to pick up a couple of homeless people to join you. Let me know if you want more tips. 

10 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Since you mention food, I highly recommend Bangkok, Thailand. Incredibly high standards for many types of food, at prices that are a fraction of eating similar in "home country."

Ideas (Bangkok lets you hit a bunch of them in one location):

https://www.theworlds50best.com/asia/en/asias-50-best-restaurants.html#t1-50

I second this.

Amazingly cheap.  Emphasis on both AMAZING and cheap.  The food, the nightlife, the sights, etc.

22 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Wife and I are trying to plan some vacations for this year. We have trips to Telluride (skiing), St. Barth (beach), Vegas, and SF/Napa already on the schedule.

We'd like to add a week long trip somewhere in late summer, probably in July-August time frame. We would fly out of DFW and it would need to be under 9-10 days total (Fri-Sun). Our tentative plan was some combination of Lake Como, Amalfi, and Capri. These are places in Italy we haven't been and are high on our bucket list. We're aware it will be hot and crowded in late summer. We'd probably aim for July because it would be slightly better than August. We have done Europe in the summer before and it was fine, but we aren't dead set on this plan.

I'm open to other ideas and thought surly could help me think outside the box. We like the outdoors and we like good food. Not too big on museums and tourist attractions. 

Other places we have some level of interest in are Northern France, Costa Rica, Iceland, Thailand, Ireland, Kauai, Banff, Maldives, and French Polynesia.

Hit me with some ideas.

Since those places aren't really connected by any uniform thread, ill just rattle off my personal wishlist:

Hokkaido island Japan

Galapagos

Tierra del Fuego / Patagonia

Jordan, Lebanon.  (shame about Syria)

Dolomites

for price, accessibility, nature, food... Japan probably hits that combo best. 

Italy in October is way better than July in my opinion. We were going to wineries in Chianti in October and it was just us and the proprietors. Got to shoot the shit with them and got special tours/wines. They said for the most part they’re just trying to survive the hoardes of tourists in the summer.