Formula 1 2019

wood

On 9/9/2019 at 4:31 AM, 52-80 said:

Watched the race replay again and I have to admit, LeClerc was not playing so nicely defending against Hamilton.  The moment when Hamilton went off track was fine -- Ferrari was ahead and entitled to the line.  But there was a moment when LeClerc zigzagged across the road.  Not totally egregious a la Verstappen last year, but not exactly fair play either.

I'm an unabashed Ferrari fan and I felt like BOTH of those instances were highly questionable.  But unlike earlier this season, I suppose they're letting them race, so...

Agree with those that would have liked to see more of the mid pack, but there was just such constant pressure from Mercedes on LeClerc I can understand why they kept with it.

And yeah, Vettel just seems to be done.  

I think the venue had a pretty significant impact on those no-calls ... or rather the no-call on the second one. He got the flag on the first and nothing on the second. He really pushed it & imho he probably gets a penalty if that happens anywhere but Monza. 

Leclerc was kinda in the Ferrari doghouse already because of Saturday & got out of it with the win. I wonder how things would have been in the Ferrari garage had he gotten a penalty that knocked him out of the lead. 

Too bad they couldn’t get some of the first episodes out after the break. Maybe it would be too revealing for competition purposes even if they did  

Netflix is already experimenting with a weekly release format for an upcoming reality show. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Haas confirms Magnussen and Grosjean for 2020; so we'll have at least one more year of inter-team rubbing and content for season three of Drive to Survive.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.haas-confirms-grosjean-and-magnussen-for-2020.27XawMbSgrB2JLs2Z2Z6qP.html

At least it is entertainment value. I was hoping that they would move on, at least from Grosjean.
  • Like 2

Yeah the car is shit this year, but so are the drivers, esp Grosjean. They could have development continuity by just keeping one driver as their baseline, but they've thrown up their hands & just confirmed both guys in mid-September in a still fluid driver market. Crazy.

The rest of this season & next year when KMag & GRO are running into each other (& others), the reactions from the Haas pit wall should be entertaining AF. Re: the KMag/Hulk relationship, they should be able to manage that. IIRC the guys have said that was not that big a deal after they calmed down ... and it's not like MAG & GRO have a good relationship either.

Re: the car, it was great in Oz, just like last year, then it progressively fell off as everyone else improved. Maybe they need to get some help (or the owner's manual) from Ferrari in developing their car as the year progresses.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Capn81 said:

Hulk out of a job or going to Williams?

Probably not Williams for Hulk.  Williams reserve and F2 driver Nicholas Latifi has a billionaire father who thinks his son should be on the grid in 2020 and is supposedly willing to write the checks to make it happen.  

https://www.gptours.com/gr_news/father-eyes-2020-williams-race-seat-for-latifi/

Edited by Dutch

2 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Probably not Williams for Hulk.  Williams reserve and F2 driver Nicholas Latifi has a billionaire father who thinks his son should be on the grid in 2020 and is supposedly willing to write the checks to make it happen.  

https://www.gptours.com/gr_news/father-eyes-2020-williams-race-seat-for-latifi/

Yep, & there are rumors that it's already done.

Edited by wood

8 minutes ago, utee94 said:

If I thought Williams could use that money to improve their program I'd be ok with it.  But what are the odds of that happening?  

Yeah I have no idea what they're doing any more, with or without $$$. Just happy to be there, I guess, much like Haas, except they still have to build their own car.

Edited by wood

Really?  Ya think the constructor that's clearly been the best for the past 5 years running is going to win again?  Way to go out on a limb there. :)

Anyway, finally finished the race last night,  and got to enjoy a lovely Ferrari 1-2.  I'll take it.  Not sure why they strategized Vettel over LeClerc for the undercut, seems to be like either would have come out into a decent gap, but I guess that's why they get paid the big bucks and I do not... 😎

Edited by utee94

They said they pitted Vettel first because Hulkenberg had pitted earlier and was making big enough gains on his tires that they were worried if they waited Vettel would exit the pit behind Hulkenberg. 

Vettel then just had a good lap when Leclerc pitted and then worked the traffic better than Leclerc to pull out a gap. 

COTA announces the downtown shuttle for F1 already.  It seems very unlike them to have this announced over a month before the race.  What's going on there, did they accidentally hire someone competent? :)

http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/f1/tickets/shuttle?fbclid=IwAR1tpMKSDYwORZDuYCZAbP8U_vb1kruRIDUDiNf3T99Nrt9eqOOrkFMpaec

anyone else thinking merc should have put ham on mediums?  you're already playing for a safety car, continue to do so instead of conceding. 

Their whole race was off. Some how Ferrari have gotten in Merc’s head OR Merc is playing not to lose. Drive safe, drive smart and finish races in the points. Don’t take unnecessary risks.

On 9/24/2019 at 9:00 PM, Goofyboy said:

Their whole race was off. Some how Ferrari have gotten in Merc’s head OR Merc is playing not to lose. Drive safe, drive smart and finish races in the points. Don’t take unnecessary risks.

That could certainly be Mercedes' strategy, but you could tell by Lewis's in-race commentary that he wasn't happy with his situation throughout the race, and desperately wanted to win it. Say what you want about him, and I've said plenty, but he's a competitor through-and-through.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Red Bull swapping power units again; five-place grid penalties for Max, Albon, and Gasly (ICE only) and back of the grid for Kvyat (all but the battery).  

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.red-bulls-and-toro-rossos-set-for-engine-changes-and-grid-penalties-in.3Y6VjZ71bfPKe9sS7MTrJk.html

well they weren't going to do it for japan and they've been competitive at singapore so they weren't going to do it then, either.  that narrows it down a bit.

That could certainly be Mercedes' strategy, but you could tell by Lewis's in-race commentary that he wasn't happy with his situation throughout the race, and desperately wanted to win it. Say what you want about him, and I've said plenty, but he's a competitor through-and-through.

Lewis wants to win every race and it’s a big reason why I like him. I think they would have won if they had followed his strategy. I hope he wraps up the title in Austin.
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Lewis wants to win every race and it’s a big reason why I like him. I think they would have won if they had followed his strategy. I hope he wraps up the title in Austin. emoji16.png

I, of course, hope he DNFs in Austin and we get two Ferraris and Ricciardio on the podium. 

A man can dream. :)

• Like 1

Yeah, I kept waiting for Lewis to pit, & it just didn't happen. It was weird.

Vettel almost threw the race away, too, with his unnecessarily risky move on Gasly. During the race, my son and I both noticed & commented on it. Wayyy too late & from too far back. Vettel's very lucky Gasly saw him in time and avoided the collision, taking himself off-track in the process. Had he not, the talk this week would have been about Vettel making another critical error, costing himself a win and costing Ferrari a 1-2.

53 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah, I kept waiting for Lewis to pit, & it just didn't happen. It was weird.

Vettel almost threw the race away, too, with his unnecessarily risky move on Gasly. During the race, my son and I both noticed & commented on it. Wayyy too late & from too far back. Vettel's very lucky Gasly saw him in time and avoided the collision, taking himself off-track in the process. Had he not, the talk this week would have been about Vettel making another critical error, costing himself a win and costing Ferrari a 1-2.

Yeah, that was a crazy, panicky move.  He seems to have lost all patience and feels nothing but pressure these days.  

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with any of the analysis of that move here. It was terrible and Vettel got extremely lucky.

As for the Ferrari undercut of Leclerc situation, it happens. The one thing I would be furious about if I were Leclerc is that he apparently wasn't told Vettel was pitting as soon as it happened. There absolutely should have been a message to Leclerc that Vettel had just pitted and that Leclerc would be pitting the next lap so he needed to push hard on his in-lap. If that really didn't happen then he has every right to bitch about it. I thought he handled his post-race interview in a much more professional manner than many would have if all this is true.