2018 Formula One thread

Prepuce of Doom

Fucking Ocon ... puts his car in an impossible spot, then cries when it doesn't work out for him. And Grosjean contributed to that as well, cutting the corner for no reason and taking away Ocon's inside option. Haas cars seem to have a nasty habit of that.

It also gets a little tiresome the way the angle of the 'oppressive heat & humidity' is constantly overhyped in this race. It was hotter and more humid today in Austin during the middle of a fucking downpour than it was in Singapore.  Mid-80s, even  with the 70% humidity Singapore had today, is a fucking Chamber of Commerce day in Austin.

18 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Mid 80’s and 70% is a normal day in October in Austin.

Ocon was fine. Perez turned into him. They showed a break down of it somewhere.

Re: the weather, yep. And it's a typical day all year long in Singapore, where it rarely gets warmer than about 91-92. If they had a race here anytime from mid-June to early September, some people would be losing their minds.

Re: Ocon, yeah, he didn't technically cause the accident, and Grosjean took away his inside line with the ridiculous but predictable (for Haas drivers) cut of T1, but Ocon seems to have an unfortunate tendency of putting his car in positions where there's no reasonable expectation that it's gonna work out for him, and then crying when that's what happens. No matter who in that line he'd have been next to, that was never going to end well with him trying to go around the outside of a fast single-file corner, with a disappearing gap to the wall trackside.

Just finished Singapore, turned out boring as fuck.

Still think this race is too long and Monza is too short. This race is more laps and has longer lap times than Monza. They should all target 1:35 to 1:40.

Also, I'm older than Kimi Raikkonen and Scott Dixon. But Dixon looks 10 years older than me, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

28 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Just finished Singapore, turned out boring as fuck.

Still think this race is too long and Monza is too short. This race is more laps and has longer lap times than Monza. They should all target 1:35 to 1:40.

Yeah they were talking about that during the race. I dunno how they end up like this. I thought they generally tried to make the races last about the same amount of time, but this disparity makes it seem like they don't.  Either Crofty or Brundle was saying he thought they should just make every race 90 minutes + 1 lap. Not sure I like not knowing how many laps there would be though. I don't see what would be so hard about dividing 90 or 100 minutes by the projected lap time and then just setting the number of laps that way.

Yeah they were talking about that during the race. I dunno how they end up like this. I thought they generally tried to make the races last about the same amount of time, but this disparity makes it seem like they don't.  Either Crofty or Brundle was saying he thought they should just make every race 90 minutes + 1 lap. Not sure I like not knowing how many laps there would be though. I don't see what would be so hard about dividing 90 or 100 minutes by the projected lap time and then just setting the number of laps that way.

They currently do it by the number of complete laps that exceeds 305km, except in Monaco where it’s 260km.

The distance makes it constant. I understand the time benefit of doing it the other way, but I don’t think it’s a big deal for a few races per year. Mostly they’re an hour and a half ish.

1 hour ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Dan Gurney and Jim Hall were the guys that got me interested in racing back in the day. This is really cool to see Sir Jackie turn a lap in Gurney's F1 Eagle.

This is my favorite look for an F1 car

xaoKZR2S_o.png

Goodyear technician Bert Baldwin monitors tyre deformation while sitting astride Dan Gurney's Eagle-Climax Mk1 during the 1966 pre-season tests at Goodwood

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Dan Gurney and Jim Hall were the guys that got me interested in racing back in the day. This is really cool to see Sir Jackie turn a lap in Gurney's F1 Eagle.

This is my favorite look for an F1 car

Me & my boy met Jim Hall out at COTA a couple years back. He had one of his Chaparrals on display and was the nicest guy. We talked with him for about half an hour and heard lots of good stories about him & Gurney.

I honestly didn't know about his F1 driving history at the time, and he never mentioned it. He seemed more proud of his work with the cars than as a driver. Very cool, humble guy.

Edited by wood

In '63 or '64 I was assigned to find an article in Time or Look or Life magazine and write a report for a 7th grade English class. I found an article about the Chaparral and Hall and I was hooked. It was really hard to follow motorsports back then but I scoured the library for everything I could find. And then Rick Mears uncle moved into a house three doors down the block and brought his dirt track cars to the neighborhood. Pissed a bunch of folks off with the noise but I loved it. Been a fan ever since. I really wish Indy could get back to being a yearly laboratory for speed and get away from the spec shit. I used to get really excited to see what was going to show up.

I would have loved to meet Jim Hall.

Been behind on the DVR lately and have been able to mostly avoid spoilers so I haven't been able to follow the thread for a while, but just wanted to drop by to share the fact that just a few minutes ago, I saw a panhandler in Chicago wearing a Haas F1 sweatshirt.

Wasn't quite sure what to make of it. 

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Been behind on the DVR lately and have been able to mostly avoid spoilers so I haven't been able to follow the thread for a while, but just wanted to drop by to share the fact that just a few minutes ago, I saw a panhandler in Chicago wearing a Haas F1 sweatshirt.

Wasn't quite sure what to make of it. 

That was just Gunther Steiner.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 9/29/2018 at 10:15 AM, Hawndoh said:

I think Ferrari's window of opportunity this year has closed. They blew it too many times when they had the advantage and now I think Merc has come back and is likely to lock down both championships down the home stretch.

I think it started to go to shit when Vettel screwed up at Hockenheim 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

It could have, but I think they just played it safe and turned it down a bit.

Agree, I think they had accepted their placement at that point.

Schedule out for USGP, the two support races are F3 Americas Series, and  FIA Formula 4.

http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/f1/schedule

6 hours ago, wood said:

LOL at Otmar re: Magnussen: "...true to form".

Love hearing his interviews.

Yeah during the race Ocon (I think it was Ocon) got around KMag at the start and later during the Sky pit wall interview he said "I'm surprised KMag didn't run into him." He doesn't give a fuck. Love seeing an American in such a high position.