Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

9 hours ago, TexasFan21 said:

Anyone got EJ’s note on Shepard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Briefly exchanged some messages with Shep tonight but should have more from him in coming day. Here is what he had to say about the game: "Great game. They showed what Texas is all about!" Shep is still solid, but he's always intended to make other OVs. A&M is obviously the biggest threat but if Texas keeps taking care of business on the field, there will be reason to feel more confident about him sticking. Shepherd has reportedly scheduled an OV for A&M on Oct. 6, but he actually has a game that day..."

16 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Marcus Washington Fong'd to the good guys

His Note 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Went ahead and flipped my 247Sports Crystal Ball to Texas regarding St. Louis (Mo.) Trinity Catholic Top247 receiver Marcus Washington, who took his official visit to Austin this past weekend, highlighted by the Longhorns victory over USC.

The four-star Washington seems to have a keen eye for the big stage on the next level and Texas certainly meets that criteria.

2COMMENTS

After talking to a source Monday morning I like the Longhorns position with the highly-recruited Washington who also took an official to Nebraska the weekend prior. Florida and Missouri are also in the mix.

The 6-foot-2, 191-pound Washington is a priority recruit for Tom Herman and his staff. The Longhorns would love to add him to a class that currently ranks No. 9 nationally, good for No. 2 in the Big 12 per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings. Washington himself is the nation's No. 26 receiver and No. 157 prospect overall. He checks in at No. 3 in the state of Missouri.

• Like 1

OB Had their update yesterday and I agree with what Such was saying: Texas could be viewed as co-leaders for McCoy and Sanders, but relationships and location will likely win out for USC and Florida once the post-visit high ends. However, both of those teams are likely to struggle on the field. And if that happens we're positioning ourselves to swoop in if we have a good season.

These are both 'position second to finish first' scenarios.

I think getting either one would feel like how happy I was on the day I was watching Espn expecting what's his name to commit to us and then he went to Penn state....to never be heard from again. 

*now that I think about it, my drug filled brain remembered:derrick Williams. 

Edited by RockyMountainHighHorn

11 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Sanders is probably how Terrance Marshall turned out. After his OV, 9.95ers said we really had a chance even a leader I think. But we still knew he was going to LSU.

Sanders is going to bama. His OV was too early imo, to really have a chance

We just found Brad Kellner's sock account. Lets go to a Texas recruiting MB, post and show what a pussy I am.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Doubt we get either at the moment, but how do Sanders and Evans compare?

Sanders '19, Evans '20

Sanders more between the tackles hard runner. Closer to a Foreman for me. Good size, better strength (than Evans) Could take a pounding.

Evans reminds me more of the OU/OU Lite RBs that always get outside on us. Great vision, incredible burst and speed. Forward running style, always seems to be moving going North South.

Obviously both really talented and would complement each other greatly and could form an incredible duo.

E.J. Holland: Loaded intel on official visitors; new Crystal Ball pick

— I put in a new Crystal Ball pick for Marcus Washington this morning. Our Steve Wiltfong heard some very positive news on his end and was first with the pick. I did some more digging and also feel very good about where UT stands. I’m told both Washington and his father were extremely impressed on the visit and that the Longhorns have taken the lead in this recruitment. Both Malcolm Epps and Byron Hobbs were heavily involved in Washington’s visit this weekend and did a great job of giving him players’ perspectives. This is huge for Texas considering its need at outside wide receiver this cycle. If the Longhorns keep winning, we feel like they will fend off Missouri and Florida.

— Not official visitor related but definitely Washington related. As you guys know, I put in a Crystal Ball pick for elite athlete Mookie Cooper a couple of months ago, and I now feel more confident in my pick than ever. Texas hosted Cooper for the Heat Wave event over the summer and blew him away this weekend. I’m also told Texas Recruiting Director Bryan Carrington has a strong bond with his guardian. With two unofficial visits under his belt, it’s safe to say Texas has the clear advantage. Landing Cooper would definitely help with Washington.

— One of the biggest things Texas needed to do was win over the parents of five-star IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Trey Sanders. I’m told his mother absolutely loved the trip and that his father really warmed up to the program. With Sanders waiting until the early signing period to make a decision, Texas is going to try to get him back on campus as they continue to work hard on his family. We are still hearing buzz that Alabama is the team to beat — Florida seems to be on the outside looking in — but there is plenty of time for Texas to impress. By the way, Sanders spent a lot of time with Texas commit Jordan Whittington and former IMG teammate Ayodele Adeoye on the visit. Adeoye is also working to get his former teammate to Austin.

— As we have reported all weekend, Texas made a major move with Bru McCoy and his family. I spoke to McCoy’s mother at length last night and will have more from her in a couple of hours. But let’s just say the family is now very open to letting McCoy leave home. If USC tanks and Texas rises, things are going to get very interesting here. McCoy loved the city of Austin and bonded with close friend Floyd as well as Texas quarterback and fellow Cameron Rising on his official visit this weekend. Simply put, Texas just needs to keep winning.

• Like 1

InsideTexas: The Inside Scoop - 9/17/18

By: Eric Nahlin, Joe Cook, and, Justin Wells

What a weekend. The Horns put a Texas-sized ass-whooping on the Trojans of Southern Cal. We'll go over team news, injury report, and what recruits had to say. It's Monday, Inside Scoop time.

HOUSTON TRIPLETS

Many football fans will remember the original Triplets of Joe Montana, Roger Craig, and Jerry Rice. In the 2020 recruiting class, Houston has something similar brewing. That would be North Shore running back Zachary Evans, North Forest wide receiver Demond Demas, and Fort Bend Marshall quarterback Malik Hornsby. If you don't know these names yet, you will even if you try to avoid them for the next year and a half. In my opinion, Evans and Demas are five-stars, and Hornsby is a very solid four-star with significant upside. With these recruitments being hotly contested between UT, A&M, and out-of-state poachers, the magnification of each will increase considerably. 

Evans is probably already the most talked about recruit in the state. He was supposed to visit this past weekend but he and his brother, CJ, had a death in the family. As of Sunday evening the plan is for them to make it to Austin for the TCU game next Saturday. You know how that goes, but for now a visit is in the works. Demas and Evans are pretty close (they live in a similar area) and there's a good chance they'll play in college together, though it would be a stretch to call them a packaged deal. If they played at the same school it is more likely that school is simply perceived as on the rise or an established national power. Previously they have both liked Texas, Alabama, and Georgia. As you likely know, Demas is currently committed to A&M, and I believe Justin will add a note on that. Some have felt that Demas being committed to A&M has given the Aggies the lead with Evans. While it helps to a degree, I don't think it moves the needle much at this time. Evans is his own man and that recruitment has a long way to go. 

Like Demas, Hornsby attended the A&M/Clemson game and got caught up in the excitement. A&M is his clear leader at this time but the family is still weighing options. That's why a commitment wasn't made even though it was expected by some. It'll be interesting to see if the high wears off or if they go all in on the Jimbo Fisher era. Hornsby undoubtedly sees some simliarities between himself and Mond. A&M plays Alabama this weekend and it'll be interesting to see if they can duplicate the effort from two weekends ago. My understanding is there hasn't been much contact between Hornsby and Texas of late. These recruitments will be filled with ups and downs and will be difficult to chronicle at times. My suggestion is to not get too high or low until given a clear signal.

THE FOUR HORSEMEN

I mentioned Katy Taylor offensive linemen Hayden Conner and Bryce Foster in a post yesterday, but at the time I hadn't messaged with Conner. The likely five-star in the 2021 class had this to say: "The whole night was amazing. It had a complete different feel than my trip last year. The student section was crazy. Really enjoyed the whole experience especially the time in the locker room with the o-line group after the game." You couldn't ask for better quotes than that. When offered, Conner tagged the UT Aerospace program in his tweet. That's not something you see everyday, but it gives Texas an excellent selling point. It's very early, but this was a big weekend for Texas in this recruitment.

On Friday night I stopped in to watch Richmond Foster versus Magnolia West. I only watched most of the first half but it was apparent that Foster's Reuben "Deuce" Fatheree had improved over last year. Already an incredible specimen at 6-foot-7, 285 pounds, his freshman film was lacking a bit of violence. This year's won't. His father, Reuben, who is the coach of the Foster basketball team his son also stars on, had this to say: "Very impressive at UT last night.. the atmosphere was great.. student section is intense ..definitely enjoyed it. Nothing scheduled..we just check to c whose playing home and/or can we squeeze it in with Deuce’s football/practice schedule .."

Last but not least, there's Bellaire Episcopal's Donovan Jackson. He actually showed the best feet and power in his hips of the 4H, but he's "only" 6-foot-3.5. He's probably 6-foot-4 now but he may profile to the interior in college. Too early to tell. I reached out to his father, Todd, who stated: "Amazing environment last night. My first time to a UT game and impressed by the energy, the fans and a great statement win by the team. With Donovan, Hayden, Bryce and Deuce leading the way for ‘21 OL, it makes P5 OL coaches smile. That’s a strong pocket of talent coming out of Houston at the same time." 

If a school can build a consensus with these four, it would be an offensive line class that rivals the 2018 Texas defensive backs. The race for the Four Horsemen is on, time will tell if they can be lassoed by the same school or if they'll go their separate ways.

NORTH SHORE DUO

Evans would agree with me when I say North Shore is much more than a running back. They're one of the best teams in the nation because of top-shelf talent across the board and dispersed through many classes. NS quarterback, Dematrius Davis, and wide receiver, Shadrach Banks, are more than just teammates, they're cousins. Banks is a very high profile player in the 2021 class, but Davis is the signal caller for the high octane Mustangs. Both visited Austin this past weekend, and came away impressed. Coach Corby Meekins and Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington offered a lot of attention. 

Banks is the more high profile player -- a national top-50 type -- and that helps opens the door for Davis. The duo will likely visit The Shoe for Ohio State vs Michigan. Georgia is showing a lot of attention, and on the other coast, so to is Washington. I don't know if Davis will be a take for Texas, but he's certainly good enough to be on the radar. Currently Baylor is prioritizing him. Banks likes Texas, A&M, LSU, and others. These two have great counsel in their household and the game was an eye-opener for them. Said a source, "they saw Keondre Coburn sitting on the bench. They know Keondre well and never could imagine him on the bench anywhere. I used that as an opportunity to tell them of the importance of finding a school you like, with people you like, because you're not just going to show up and be a star right off the bat."

BRU MCCOY

Previously I had this recruitment at 10%. I'd bump it up to 20% based on one interaction. I led someone who knows him well to the answer of McCoy being a virtual lock to USC. This person didn't take the easy bait and actually disagreed and felt he would end up at Texas. Okay, cool to hear, but I'm sticking with USC. But, it is telling of what kind of excitement a big win under the lights breeds. An official visit being used this early better be memorable and the team and coaching staff ensured that it was. Now, keep winning and let's watch USC closely from afar. I'll post team notes before the noon press conference. They won't be filled with the happiest injury news.

It was potentially a perfect storm for the future of Texas Football recruiting. High-end, top prospects from the next three classes (2019-2021) were on hand to witness UT thoroughly thump the Trojans of USC. It goes without saying that the recruits in attendance got a taste of what happens when the Texas faithful and good football come together. 

On Jake Smith.... Perhaps the most important recruit on the Texas commit list made his first return trip to Austin after committing early last June. The Scottsdale (AZ) native and 4-star prospect's highlight was seeing one of the Shipley brothers, Jordan, again. There's a bond there that's benefitical for both UT and the Smiths. I caught up with James Smith, Jake's father after the win. The excitement was real. “Just awesome,” said James, Jake’s dad. “What a game. What an atmosphere. All incredible. The players and coaches treat Jake like he's already a Horn."

Jake's early success on the football field has caught the attention of two schools - Alabama and Texas A&M. There's a chance he takes an official visit to both, but right now, it's just that...a chance. “We spoke with Coach Herman, Beck and Mehringer, said James. The time was short on both ends. But Jake got to hang with some of the players after the game. And seeing Jordan Shipley again was cool. Him and Jake really connect." 

On Elijah Higgins... Texas and coach Beck are still pursuing the big-time outside receiver as hard as any other pass-catchers. Saturday night certainly helped. “It was just ridiculous,” said the Arlington Bowie prospect of the game atmosphere. “Also got to catch up with some of the players and coaches.” Higgins and Texas could happen down the road, but Stanford and Florida are the real threats. The 6-foot-3, 225-pound receiver is actually re-applying to Stanford. I’m hearing David Shaw and his staff have told him he’ll have a better chance of getting admitted this go around. I don't care for that news as much, but the Horns will have to continue to battle the big schools for the big talent.

8 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

The plan was to take two RBs this year if possible and then focus on Evans next year. Cooper can be recruited in the Jake Smith role if I'm not mistaken.

Nice. I wouldn't think Brown would scare away Sanders, but I also don't know if Sanders would want to be the only back taken. Cooper, if I'm not mistaken is basically a do everything type of player, correct?

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Anyone want to give a summary of the big details (outside the Brown commit, I saw that) for the past week? My pussy self just hasn't had the stomach for this board after the maryland loss and the aTm commits. Thanks in advance.

I am glad someone else said it. Hopefully that win over USC built up a lot of good will. 

3 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

True.  I should have worded it a bit different.  On the flip side, tfb has shown to have the best sources in recruiting.

I've mentioned it at times, but it has been a while. Carrington is a younger, blacker version of Tim Brewster. Both of those guys think they're getting everyone, and they're unreliable sources for $9.95ers until the very end of a recruitment. Remember that sometimes when Liucci is extremely confident about a Brewster recruit, and remember that when TFB is doing the same for UT targets. It doesn't make them wrong, just something to keep in mind.