Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

“Plans to let him know when he’s in Houston next.” 

JFC, Oscar. That’s what you tell a girl you never plan to see agin, not a player you actually want to join your team. 

Actually, that’s what I tell a girl I do plan to see again, on my terms. 

4 hours ago, Knighthawk said:

Geography bias in rankings  ...

25 of the top 50 recruits on 247 composite are from sec footprint (FL, GA, MS, AL, LA, SC).  

How is this possible?

primarily a combination of sordid american history and socioeconomics. 

7 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Not if we don't view him as an upgrade over what is already on the roster, which I don't think he is. 

I fundamentally disagree with this statement. It's a 1 year scholarship. Even if he's quality depth, or is just a 3rd string player, there's absolutely ZERO reason to not give him a scholarship if we only have 80 scholarship players. It's the polar opposite of the logic behind NOT taking someone like Jordan Moore. 

The only way your argument makes even the smallest bit of sense is if you re-frame it as:

"I don't view him as an upgrade over the walk-on defensive tackles we currently have on campus, so he's not a take and we award the scholarship to one of those DT's"

Are you the guy who thinks Herman should save his time outs for the second half?

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I fundamentally disagree with this statement. It's a 1 year scholarship. Even if he's quality depth, or is just a 3rd string player, there's absolutely ZERO reason to not give him a scholarship if we only have 80 scholarship players. It's the polar opposite of the logic behind NOT taking someone like Jordan Moore. 

The only way your argument makes even the smallest bit of sense is if you re-frame it as:

"I don't view him as an upgrade over the walk-on defensive tackles we currently have on campus, so he's not a take and we award the scholarship to one of those DT's"

Are you the guy who thinks Herman should save his time outs for the second half?

what if they feel good about coburn and wilbon and chisholm and chris kringle and sweat and feel good about the depth and don’t want to take snaps away from the younger guys?  I don’t see a great benefit to adding abercrumbia unless he’s a great player.  

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I am just saying that I can understand why we aren't all over the kid like we were Calvin Anderson last year. He will most likely go to a place with the best depth chart, and that isn't us. 

What you also failed to mention is that based on how final numbers shake out, that 1 year rental scholarship might serve us better at a different position. 

.. Or Giles is just a lazy shit. 

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

When was the last Rivals update before this week? Liebrock was in the 100s back in August.

Yeah, someone on IT went and logged all the rankings a couple of weeks ago before the final update so we can see the final movements 

14 minutes ago, bizzle said:

primarily a combination of sordid american history and socioeconomics. 

Those states are responsible for 30% of NFL rosters based on the last study I could find. While your point is valid, there is more to it than that if they are taking up a full 50% of the rankings.

The combination of California, Texas, Ohio, and Pennsylvania has more NFL roster spots than those 6 states.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, futureman said:

what if they feel good about coburn and wilbon and chisholm and chris kringle and sweat and feel good about the depth and don’t want to take snaps away from the younger guys?  I don’t see a great benefit to adding abercrumbia unless he’s a great player.  

What if Coburn and Wilcon get injured and Chisholm plays but needs to be spelled? This is a fucking stupid concept. The point is you don't know what could happen. The kid is getting a free year of graduate school at a great university. I don't give a fuck if we take him and he never plays a fucking down, he's depth if we need it, at WORST. What I do know that it's move valuable than having an unused scholarship. This isn't marriage for 4 years. It's a single year with a scholarship that has zero use otherwise. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I am just saying that I can understand why we aren't all over the kid like we were Calvin Anderson last year. He will most likely go to a place with the best depth chart, and that isn't us. 

What you also failed to mention is that based on how final numbers shake out, that 1 year rental scholarship might serve us better at a different position. 

.. Or Giles is just a lazy shit. 

If you want to make a case that another 1 year rental at another position makes more sense, fine, that is perfectly logical. I'd be interested in knowing what that position is, and again, if there's a player there that makes sense. But that isn't the same thing you initially proposed. Of course, by the same token, that's also assuming we only have 1 scholarship. What happens if we have 4? Or 5?

Edited by SydneyCarton

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Yeah, someone on IT went and logged all the rankings a couple of weeks ago before the final update so we can see the final movements 

You keep up with this stuff better than I do, so I'll take your word for it. But I feel that there would have been a mini-uproar if Liebrock suddenly dropped 150 spots (though it wouldn't surprise me).

Edited by Machinator

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

What if Coburn and Wilcon get injured and Chisholm plays but needs to be spelled? This is a fucking stupid concept. The point is you don't know what could happen. The kid is getting a free year of graduate school at a great university. I don't give a fuck if we take him and he never plays a fucking down, he's depth if we need it, at WORST. What I do know that it's move valuable than having an unused scholarship. This isn't marriage for 4 years. It's a single year with a scholarship that has zero use otherwise. 

I’m just playing devil’s advocate here but say we bring him in for the one year rental and he plays a lot of snaps and rotates with wilbon for about 85% of the defensive snaps and coburn gets butthurt and decides to transfer?  doomed. 

TFB on transfers, including Abercrumbia:

***Am told that while Casey Thompson coming back to Texas is likely, it’s not a done deal yet. Sounds like Houston is trying pull him their way.

***Also, am told that Texas is going after Tennessee grad transfer starting OT, Drew Richmond.

Last Friday, I spoke with a source in the building about Richmond and was told that the Vols planned on letting Richmond go. However, same source let me know, yesterday, that they have decided to work to keep him.

The initial sense I got was the Vols believed they had younger guys who would unseat Richmond. At some point between last Friday and yesterday, they obviously decided that they can’t afford to lose him.

I’m working to connect with Richmond to see where his head is at in all of this.

***Also asked about Rice grad transfer DT, Zach Abercrumbia. I get the sense Texas likes him but with the transfer portal changing the game a bit, they have to obviously be conscious of their current younger players like Coburn and Ojomo.

I’ll check with Zach later to see what Texas says to him in their meeting that was scheduled for today

• Like 1

Just now, futureman said:

I’m just playing devil’s advocate here but say we bring him in for the one year rental and he plays a lot of snaps and rotates with wilbon for about 85% of the defensive snaps and coburn gets butthurt and decides to transfer?  doomed. 

Then that's a combination of factors:

1.) Our coaches are stupid, that doesn't make the roster management stupid. This is a fundamentally different issue you're hypothesizing. 
2.) Sounds like Coburn kinda sucks and hasn't progressed.  Again, that's likely a coaching problem, or a player attitude problem (which would be a problem anyway).

right on damn cue, from TFB:

"***Also asked about Rice grad transfer DT, Zach Abercrumbia. I get the sense Texas likes him but with the transfer portal changing the game a bit, they have to obviously be conscious of their current younger players like Coburn and Ojomo."

Edited by UncleBuck

Just now, UncleBuck said:

right on damn cute, from TFB:

"***Also asked about Rice grad transfer DT, Zach Abercrumbia. I get the sense Texas likes him but with the transfer portal changing the game a bit, they have to obviously be conscious of their current younger players like Coburn and Ojomo."

Please tell me that was a typo, or that you're somehow referencing the meet-cute you had with your cousin. 

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

right on damn cue, from TFB:

I write for TFB

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You keep up with this stuff better than I do, so I'll take your word for it. But I feel that there would have been a mini-uproar if Liebrock suddenly dropped 150 spots (though it wouldn't surprise me).

It's not my work, and he could be wrong, but I do remember him posting a screen shot of a spreadsheet of where our guys were ranked, and no one corrected him 

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Just found it, looks like he read the wrong column

upload_2019-1-3_21-0-58.png

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

Not if we don't view him as an upgrade over what is already on the roster, which I don't think he is. 

He’s experienced depth at worst and it’s pretty much impossible to tell the difference between us slow playing a recruit and Giles recruiting him, which is ultimately the issue.

• Like 1

Just so we're being perfectly clear here, and correct me if I'm wrong but posters in this thread are now intimating or outright saying one or all of the below:

A.) The coaching staff consistently won't play the best players at a position and can't be trusted to do so
B.) Because of the transfer portal, coaches should no longer pursue the best player at every position because it will scare away the good players already on campus

I'm a Texas fan, so having suffered through Mack Brown and year 1 of Tom Herman, I fucking absolutely get point A. But that STILL isn't a reason to not stock the roster with the best available talent at all times. That's just stupid. If the rice kid beats out Coburn or Wilbon, well, then I guess he's a value add at the position and worthy of a scholly. If he doesn't, who gives a fucking shit, he's depth at a position that isn't that robust. Additionally, if he comes in and sucks and Herman plays him ahead of Coburn and Ojomo anyway, well, that's a completely different fucking problem that needs to be addressed. But I certainly know Option B is fucking stupid. 

15 minutes ago, futureman said:

Why do you keep acting like he can only play nose tackle? He has more versatility than that. He could slot in at all 3 DL spots and he’s undoubtedly better than Chisholm or Christmas Giles, and likely better than TR FR Sweat.

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Those states are responsible for 30% of NFL rosters based on the last study I could find. While your point is valid, there is more to it than that if they are taking up a full 50% of the rankings.

The combination of California, Texas, Ohio, and Pennsylvania has more NFL roster spots than those 6 states.

If you go back and look at the rankings from around 2002-2006 and probably back as far as Rivals goes (I think they were the first with national rankings), you will find that California and Texas made up a higher percentage of 5-stars than they do today. The decline miraculously coincided with Pete Carroll going back to the NFL and a few years before Mack Brown was killing himself down in Florida. (It is now clear he was hitting up the SEC states because the state of Texas one year just suddenly stopped producing high level talent and Mack was actually ahead of the curve.)

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Why do you keep acting like he can only play nose tackle? He has more versatility than that. He could slot in at all 3 DL spots and he’s undoubtedly better than Chisholm or Christmas Giles, and likely better than TR FR Sweat.

I don’t see how you can argue that.  chisholm and saint nick would probably wreck shop in conference USA.  abercrumbia was honorable mention all conference.  christmas seems like a 1st team conference USA guy. 

I don’t see how you can argue that.  chisholm and saint nick would probably wreck shop in conference USA.  abercrumbia was honorable mention all conference.  christmas seems like a 1st team conference USA guy

Well, I don't see how you can argue THAT, futureman trolling aside. Please, expound. 

giphy.gif

33 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Didn’t really get much of a chance to see Coburn play but saw him when he came out of the game against Georgia when his helmet came off. Dude is WIDE

29 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Just so we're being perfectly clear here, and correct me if I'm wrong but posters in this thread are now intimating or outright saying one or all of the below:

A.) The coaching staff consistently won't play the best players at a position and can't be trusted to do so
B.) Because of the transfer portal, coaches should no longer pursue the best player at every position because it will scare away the good players already on campus

I'm a Texas fan, so having suffered through Mack Brown and year 1 of Tom Herman, I fucking absolutely get point A. But that STILL isn't a reason to not stock the roster with the best available talent at all times. That's just stupid. If the rice kid beats out Coburn or Wilbon, well, then I guess he's a value add at the position and worthy of a scholly. If he doesn't, who gives a fucking shit, he's depth at a position that isn't that robust. Additionally, if he comes in and sucks and Herman plays him ahead of Coburn and Ojomo anyway, well, that's a completely different fucking problem that needs to be addressed. But I certainly know Option B is fucking stupid. 

25 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Any chance we wanna play two tackles And need the depth?

1) With a grad transfer, there is no need to lock him in before the Transfer Portal closes.

2) I'm thinking that Coburn will definitely be needed against LSU and any other run-heavy teams, but will probably be quickly gassed against pass-happy teams.

3) Referring to "1)"... Patience with Grad Transfers. They can be locked in later in the spring/right before summer. WELL AFTER the Spring Game... when we get a better idea of how urgent some holes are and when we see who gets upset and wants to transfer in the summer.

Just my 3 cents.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, futureman said:

I don’t see how you can argue that.  chisholm and saint nick would probably wreck shop in conference USA.  abercrumbia was honorable mention all conference.  christmas seems like a 1st team conference USA guy. 

I’ve watched all three. Chisholm is a warm body at best. Giles was often a liability for us. I watched most of Zach’s snaps against LSU. He got washed out a little more than you’d like but generally held his own and even had some really good flash plays. Zach is better than both of them and it’d be hard to argue otherwise, unless you’re just an obnoxious internet troll, of course.

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

I’ve watched all three. Chisholm is a warm body at best. Giles was often a liability for us. I watched most of Zach’s snaps against LSU. He got washed out a little more than you’d like but generally held his own and even had some really good flash plays. Zach is better than both of them and it’d be hard to argue otherwise, unless you’re just an obnoxious internet troll, of course.

quite simply you are wrong.  painfully wrong.  I feel sorry for your family. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Do you know where you are?

ESPN released their final rankings update (top 300): http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/order/true

Players of interest:

1. Kayvon Thibodeaux

3. Kenyon Green

6. Jadon Haselwood

11. John Emery

16. Trey Sanders

17. Garrett Wilson

18. Derek Stingley Jr.

27. Bru McCoy

29. Spencer Rattler

32. Tyler Johnson

33. Theo Wease