Texas recruiting notes 2019

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

What, so the kid is trash to him if he's not picking Texas?

That's your interpretation? A Texas reporter who knows the outcome of a college choice opting not to show up for the signing ceremony immediately screams to you "Wells thinks Catalon is Trash?" What the fuck is he going to go there for, to get a quote on how great the kid feels Arkansas is for his future? He's basically telling the people who pay his salary what the pick  is going to be, which I'd argue is showing benefit to the proper place. One can play the "Oh, he's a great kid and Wells had a relationship for him for almost 3 years" card, but personally, I'm not sure Im blowing several hours on a Friday myself to cover something that will have zero to do with Texas sports if I'm Wells. 

Jesus, following this fucking line of thinking I'm obligated to go to watch every fucking Hallmark movie my wife wants to watch, or go visit my fucking mother 5 days a week because we have a relationship. No. Sir. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's your interpretation? A Texas reporter who knows the outcome of a college choice opting not to show up for the signing ceremony immediately screams to you "Wells thinks Catalon is Trash?" What the fuck is he going to go there for, to get a quote on how great the kid feels Arkansas is for his future? He's basically telling the people who pay his salary what the pick  is going to be, which I'd argue is showing benefit to the proper place. One can play the "Oh, he's a great kid and Wells had a relationship for him for almost 3 years" card, but personally, I'm not sure Im blowing several hours on a Friday myself to cover something that will have zero to do with Texas sports if I'm Wells. 

Jesus, following this fucking line of thinking I'm obligated to go to watch every fucking Hallmark movie my wife wants to watch, or go visit my fucking mother 5 days a week because we have a relationship. No. Sir. 

why do you think your mother is trash?  seems harsh. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Jordan Whittington senior highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2B4EuX

42 second mark. He outruns the coverage but the pass is underthrown so the db gets a decent hit on him while he's in the air. He shows great balance keeping his feet as he lands. But the best part is that he could have outrun everybody to the goal line but instead decides to slow down in order to get a shot in on the defender and stiff-arm bodyslams him into the ground. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

42 second mark. He outruns the coverage but the pass is underthrown so the db gets a decent hit on him while he's in the air. He shows great balance keeping his feet as he lands. But the best part is that he could have outrun everybody to the goal line but instead decides to slow down in order to get a shot in on the defender and stiff-arm bodyslams him into the ground. 

Yah, the play at the 42 second mark is probably my favorite play from him this year. Vs. Wimberley, who knocked them out of the playoffs the year before. That game was about payback, and Jordan normally wouldn't do something like that, but he and the whole team wanted that revenge bad. 

Eric Nahlin: Your 2019 Offensive Class (So Far)

There's a common refrain Herman likes to use when it comes to recruiting: it's not the players you miss on that gets you fired, it's the players you sign that aren't any good.

It's actually both, but from a coach's standpoint it's best to immediately put players you missed on in the rear-view. I wish fans took the same approach, but that's not going to happen. IS IT?

By this time we know who Texas missed on and who it signed. The staff did an absolutely tremendous job of keeping its head above water as the SS Class of 2019 took on a little early water. Turns out there wasn't a hole in the vessel, just some shoddy plumbing.

Thanks to the work the staff did recruiting out-of-state, needs were met for the most part, with a couple still to be addressed.

QUARTERBACK 

Class Needs: 1

QB Roschon Johnson, Port Neches-Groves (Port Neches, TX) - 6-1, 210 (composite rating .9172)

The Recruitment: Johnson was a player Herman identified as special while at Houston and immediately targeted upon arriving in Austin. Roschon was always the guy for Herman, and privately Herman has raved about Johnson's fit for his offense -- a fit that's obvious to see. Johnson was the first commit of the class, committing while at camp in July 2017.

The Player: This article goes into great detail what he brings to the table. The short story is he has few weaknesses as a player, or person for that matter. In many ways he's the running back version of Sam Ehlinger, a dual-threat who possesses fullback athleticism. Johnson's mental ability should not be undersold as the offense he plays in is more advanced than many you'll find in college. He's competitive and a natural leader. He's confident like Sam Ehlinger but quiet like Shane Buechele. As a passer he's plenty accurate. The lone knock on him over the years has been arm strength but he has compensatory strengths.

The Projection: Like Buechele and Ehlinger, he could play early if needed thanks to his mental characteristics. Also like those two, he'll enroll early. Unlike them, he won't be on a hurried timeline. Long-term he's going to have to compete and likely wait his turn, but by the time he hits the field Herman should have his offense stocked with talent and finely tuned. It's nice when the instruments are already in place and the band is already assembled. Johnson will have the privilege of timing. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Johnson developed into an electrifying play-maker who leads the team to the playoffs and finds himself in New York.

RUNNING BACK 

Class Needs: 2

RB Derrian Brown, Buford (Buford, GA) - 5-11, 190 (.9129)

The Recruitment: Brown is one the staff jumped in on while recruiting fellow Georgian Kenyatta Watson. A relationship that began in the spring strengthened over the summer and it became apparent Texas was the team to beat. After taking his official visit for the USC game in Septhember, Brown shut his recruitment down.

The Player: A slick, slashing runner with excellent hands out of the back-field. I think he has the vision and feel for inside zone, not to mention the ability to get through creases quickly, while also being a good off-tackle runner. Keep those hands in mind as Herman and Tim Beck found throwing to the position increasingly useful over the course of the season.

The Projection: He'll play at 205 pounds and because he's not easy to hit square, he can log volume carries if needed, and also play early. As we learned with Ingram, Herman isn't going to rush a young running back into a big role, rather he'll give the player more snaps as he earns them over time. Reliability must be proven, but with how thin the position is opportunity awaits Brown upon arrival. With a well-rounded skill-set, as well as time spent playing big-time ball in Georgia, Brown shouldn't need too much time to acclimate to college.

WIDE RECEIVER

Class Needs: 4

ATH/WR Jordan Whittington, Cuero (Cuero, TX) - 6-1, 205 (.9734)

The Recruitment: Whittington has been a known commodity since he was a freshman who looked like a high school senior both in build and play. Initially thought of as a safety, Whittington made it clear his intentions were to play receiver. No schools took issue with that because he's about as talented of a two-way player as you'll find. Texas defeated A&M and Florida for his services last spring.

The Player: Funny enough, he'd be a five-star if he elected to play safety as he profiles to 'Brandon Jones with ball skills.' As a receiver he's still a fantastic prospect thanks to quickness and ability to get open on the ground or attack the ball in the air above it. He profiles to any receiver position thanks to his versatility, but was recruited to play H (slot). Don't rule out X where he can out-muscle defensive backs and win 50/50 balls, or Z where he can run by them or over them in the screen game. His best traits are his combination of quickness and strength. That's where things get interesting, because of his build he will likely see time at running back as well. He's just as much a Swiss Army knife as Jake Smith, just not quite as Swiss looking.

The Projection: Another early enrollee, expect Whittington to play a lot of snaps as a freshman, especially with Lil'Jordan Humphrey electing to forego his senior season and the lack of depth and play-making ability at running back. With one player Texas will strengthen two position groupings. It's hard to project where he'll have his greatest impact as a junior because he's so versatile he can play wherever he's most needed. The good news is he's such a natural player he should excel wherever they put him.

WR Jake Smith, Notre Dame Prep (Scottsdale, AZ) - 6-1, 200 (.9620)

The Recruitment: I was late to watch his highlights because I just figured he'd end up at USC or Ohio State but after he visited it became apparent his interest was genuine. Texas made great early in-roads to beat USC and earn his commitment over the summer, then was able to keep Alabama at bay thanks to strong relationships. Tim Beck and his strong ties to Arizona deserves a nod for the assist.

The Player: Similar to Whittington in that both are very quick and can line up all over, Smith is probably faster though not as powerful. Smith is your jet motion/screen threat who can also line up at running back and log carries. He will grow into a densely built multi-tool who also features in the return game. We've seen hints of the staff's creativity, Smith is the type of player who can really let their imagination run wild. Another plus that he and Whittington share is possession receiver ability to move the chains.

The Projection: He'll be too good to be kept off the field as a freshman and with Humphrey declaring he could become a focal point of the offense. It may take some time for the staff to fully marry his skill-set to the creative pages of the playbook, but in the meantime he can run all the normal routes too. Beyond next year, he and Whittington are just going to align all over the place and catch defenses in mismatches.

WR Marcus Washington, Trinity Catholic (St. Louis, MO) - 6-2, 195 (.9217)

The Recruitment: Washington was set to commit to Ohio State in the summer before scandal broke out in Columbus. Even in the lead up to his Ohio State decision the staff was recruiting him hard, almost getting him to visit in July. Once he decided to slow his process down, Texas went full steam ahead earning his commitment in the fall. He nearly stayed close to home to play at Missouri, but his heart was at Texas and he stuck to his decision that he made.

The Player: Washington is a smooth, fluid route runner with strong hands and good initial quickness off the line. He profiles well to becoming an X boundary receiver who is easy for the quarterback to get the ball to. Hands and ability to separate are a quarterback's best friend. He's pretty slick after the catch too and has home run play ability. His physical build will lend itself to blocking as well as beating press.

[that was written before we saw him do just that in the Under Armour game]

The Projection: I expect him to start a lot of games at X after Collin Johnson departs. I think he could make a name for himself as early as his second year on campus. To me he's the future at X, but could also play Z.

WR Kennedy Lewis, Melissa (Melissa, TX) - 6-3, 190 (.8709)

The Recruitment: He offered very intriguing film his junior year than backed that up by impressing on the camp scene this past summer. TCU took note and pushed for his commitment. Texas took note and offered over the summer to get its foot in the door should it need to pursue in the fall. The staff hosted Lewis in October and landed him very late in the process. He was all set to visit Washington the last weekend before NSD1 but with the understanding he was going to be a Longhorn, that trip was cancelled.

The Player: A tall, fleet-footed receiver with a good build that will easily pack on muscle, Lewis will add size to the Z field receiver. His stride chews up ground off the line and after the catch. He has some work to do as a route runner but certainly has the natural athleticism and fluidity to become more refined. Ball skills are fine, hands are good, he's an exciting upside prospect.

The Projection: He'll likely red-shirt and put on 15-20 functional pounds while learning the nuances of the position. Z will be bolstered by Devin Duvernay and John Burt in 2019, but after that the position is wide open. Expect Lewis to be competing for snaps by the time 2020 rolls around.

TIGHT END

TE Brayden Liebrock, Chandler (Chandler, AZ) - 6-5, 220 (.9240)

The Recruitment: Upon my first review of his film I put him out of mind. I figured for sure he was going to Notre Dame or Stanford. Then I saw he was rated an .88 or something ridiculous. Like with Smith, Texas jumped in early, got him to campus, and won him over in the late spring/early summer.

The Player: He's an absolutely fantastic receiving tight end. He has wide receiver ability in a tight end frame. He uses the entirety of his catch radius and makes all the varied types of receptions: away from his body, different hand positions, contested, back shoulder, laying out, etc. He's urgent in his routes -- linebackers and flat-footed safeties are going to get eaten up. The position is often an afterthought in high school offenses (it's become less so, though) but Liebrock was a focal point and very productive. His main question will be how soon will he throw his body around and become a credible blocker. He will require some physical development but has the frame for it.

The Projection: Herman is married to 11 personnel, meaning tight end doesn't come off the field much. Having a receiving threat he can flex out that's legitimately dangerous will give this offense another dimension. We saw how much Andrew Beck was featured in the offense and schemed open. He's not half the receiver Liebrock is. The flip-side of that coin is Liebrock is mostly an unknown helping out in the run game. Becoming average in that regard will play a part in his overall role in the offense. In the end, his receiving skills will be too good to keep him off the field. He'll need 10,000 reps as a blocker and even more in the weight room adding size and strength but at some point it will all come together for him. He's the best receiving threat Texas has landed at the position since Jermichael Finley.

TE Jared Wiley, Temple (Temple, TX) - 6-6, 230 (.8546)

The Recruitment: Wiley was offered during the spring evaluation period at a time when not much was known about him. He had a quiet, drama free recruitment and wasted little time with his decision, committing in May.

The Player: Here's where it gets interesting. The more homework I did on Wiley the more apparent it became he was a steal. Obviously he had great size, but he also hit 8 home runs and hit for a high average in baseball. He was set to play quarterback for his storied high school (which he also played at a high level). With baseball comes good hand-eye coordination, processing, and reactions. With playing quarterback comes an understanding of where to run your routes versus differing defenses. It gives you a certain field vision you might not have otherwise. Now roll these unique traits into a giant, easy moving tight end. to top it off, I hear he has good hands and is highly competitive. He may end up being the steal of the class.

The Projection: If he's as competitive as I think he is he'll become a good blocker in time. Like with Liebrock, that's an unknown as he gets set to begin his career but obviously the staff has no concerns. Wiley running down seams isn't going to be fair for defenses worried about the other skill talent around him. While Liebrock gets most of the press, Wiley has some very unique traits that make it likely he makes a farce out of his rating. Enrolling early will give him a jump on working towards that end. Texas has questions at tight end heading into next year. Wiley will be a quick responder to S&C. While I think he'll red-shirt, playing next year isn't out of the question. After a year in the program he should become a solid contributor at a minimum.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Class Needs: 3-4

OL Tyler Johnson, Oak Ridge (Conroe, TX) - 6-5, 305 (.9814)

The Recruitment: The early read on Johnson played out: he was going to sign with a good state school/football program with good academics. Texas fit the bill and Johnson made the call in May.

The Player: For such a big guy he gets out of his stance with ease whether in pass protection or run blocking. He's bouncy on the move and will make an excellent puller. I thought he played with a meaner streak this year and did better finishing blocks.

The Projection: I'm unsure if he's a tackle or guard on the next level but one thing is encouraging, we already know he's a great athlete while carrying 305 pounds. I think he does have the athleticism for tackle but guard might be his more natural position. In that regard there's a little Justin Blalock to him. He's enrolling early and I think there's a good chance he makes the two-deep. I could see a scenario where he plays guard as a freshman, sandwiched between two experienced players.

OL Isaiah Hookfin, Dulles (Sugar Land, TX) - 6-4, 265 (.8910)

The Recruitment: A late-bloomer who didn't pick up his Texas offer until early November, Hookfin looked locked into Texas from that point. Just as things looked settled with Hookfin and Texas, Baylor made a late move and nearly pulled off the upset. Hookfin signed on the final day of the early signing period.

The Player: Has the traits that give him a chance to be a future left tackle. He's quick afoot, bends well, and has good-enough length. I think he could be really good on the pull, which is something we started to see Texas do with its tackles.

The Projection: He's on the smaller end of the P5 tackle spectrum, and I don't mean weight. That means his quickness and ability to play with leverage will have to continue developing and become defining traits. Necessary strength will come. The test for him will be, is he going to stay focused and keep working for years in preparation of his opportunity down the line?

Interestingly enough, Hookfin and Javonne Shepherd are rated almost identically.

• Like 2

X-post of mine from the Coaching Carousel thread on the Football Board, because you assholes are smarter than the average football board bear:

-----------

Major still doesn't have a job.  I wonder if Herman will bring him on staff in some capacity (even if just in a QC role)?  I also wonder, if he does so, what Major has picked up from his time with Kendall Briles, and how that could help us continue to stoke the development of our running game.

At this point, given the utter silence surrounding Beaty (despite him being considered an ace recruiter and good-to-very-good position coach), I think it's a fait accompli that he'll be on staff once we get past NSD2. 

7 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

X-post of mine from the Coaching Carousel thread on the Football Board, because you assholes are smarter than the average football board bear:

-----------

Major still doesn't have a job.  I wonder if Herman will bring him on staff in some capacity (even if just in a QC role)?  I also wonder, if he does so, what Major has picked up from his time with Kendall Briles, and how that could help us continue to stoke the development of our running game.

At this point, given the utter silence surrounding Beaty (despite him being considered an ace recruiter and good-to-very-good position coach), I think it's a fait accompli that he'll be on staff once we get past NSD2. 

I’m not sure Major will be able to come back to UT. Herman was able to push Horny through (that’s a weird sentence), but bringing major back even as QC is different.

34 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Eric Nahlin: Your 2019 Offensive Class (So Far)

Reveal hidden contents

There's a common refrain Herman likes to use when it comes to recruiting: it's not the players you miss on that gets you fired, it's the players you sign that aren't any good.

It's actually both, but from a coach's standpoint it's best to immediately put players you missed on in the rear-view. I wish fans took the same approach, but that's not going to happen. IS IT?

By this time we know who Texas missed on and who it signed. The staff did an absolutely tremendous job of keeping its head above water as the SS Class of 2019 took on a little early water. Turns out there wasn't a hole in the vessel, just some shoddy plumbing.

Thanks to the work the staff did recruiting out-of-state, needs were met for the most part, with a couple still to be addressed.

QUARTERBACK 

Class Needs: 1

QB Roschon Johnson, Port Neches-Groves (Port Neches, TX) - 6-1, 210 (composite rating .9172)

The Recruitment: Johnson was a player Herman identified as special while at Houston and immediately targeted upon arriving in Austin. Roschon was always the guy for Herman, and privately Herman has raved about Johnson's fit for his offense -- a fit that's obvious to see. Johnson was the first commit of the class, committing while at camp in July 2017.

The Player: This article goes into great detail what he brings to the table. The short story is he has few weaknesses as a player, or person for that matter. In many ways he's the running back version of Sam Ehlinger, a dual-threat who possesses fullback athleticism. Johnson's mental ability should not be undersold as the offense he plays in is more advanced than many you'll find in college. He's competitive and a natural leader. He's confident like Sam Ehlinger but quiet like Shane Buechele. As a passer he's plenty accurate. The lone knock on him over the years has been arm strength but he has compensatory strengths.

The Projection: Like Buechele and Ehlinger, he could play early if needed thanks to his mental characteristics. Also like those two, he'll enroll early. Unlike them, he won't be on a hurried timeline. Long-term he's going to have to compete and likely wait his turn, but by the time he hits the field Herman should have his offense stocked with talent and finely tuned. It's nice when the instruments are already in place and the band is already assembled. Johnson will have the privilege of timing. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Johnson developed into an electrifying play-maker who leads the team to the playoffs and finds himself in New York.

RUNNING BACK 

RB Derrian Brown, Buford (Buford, GA) - 5-11, 190 (.9129)

The Recruitment: Brown is one the staff jumped in on while recruiting fellow Georgian Kenyatta Watson. A relationship that began in the spring strengthened over the summer and it became apparent Texas was the team to beat. After taking his official visit for the USC game in Septhember, Brown shut his recruitment down.

The Player: A slick, slashing runner with excellent hands out of the back-field. I think he has the vision and feel for inside zone, not to mention the ability to get through creases quickly, while also being a good off-tackle runner. Keep those hands in mind as Herman and Tim Beck found throwing to the position increasingly useful over the course of the season.

The Projection: He'll play at 205 pounds and because he's not easy to hit square, he can log volume carries if needed, and also play early. As we learned with Ingram, Herman isn't going to rush a young running back into a big role, rather he'll give the player more snaps as he earns them over time. Reliability must be proven, but with how thin the position is opportunity awaits Brown upon arrival. With a well-rounded skill-set, as well as time spent playing big-time ball in Georgia, Brown shouldn't need too much time to acclimate to college.

WIDE RECEIVER

Class Needs: 4

ATH/WR Jordan Whittington, Cuero (Cuero, TX) - 6-1, 205 (.9734)

The Recruitment: Whittington has been a known commodity since he was a freshman who looked like a high school senior both in build and play. Initially thought of as a safety, Whittington made it clear his intentions were to play receiver. No schools took issue with that because he's about as talented of a two-way player as you'll find. Texas defeated A&M and Florida for his services last spring.

The Player: Funny enough, he'd be a five-star if he elected to play safety as he profiles to 'Brandon Jones with ball skills.' As a receiver he's still a fantastic prospect thanks to quickness and ability to get open on the ground or attack the ball in the air above it. He profiles to any receiver position thanks to his versatility, but was recruited to play H (slot). Don't rule out X where he can out-muscle defensive backs and win 50/50 balls, or Z where he can run by them or over them in the screen game. His best traits are his combination of quickness and strength. That's where things get interesting, because of his build he will likely see time at running back as well. He's just as much a Swiss Army knife as Jake Smith, just not quite as Swiss looking.

The Projection: Another early enrollee, expect Whittington to play a lot of snaps as a freshman, especially with Lil'Jordan Humphrey electing to forego his senior season and the lack of depth and play-making ability at running back. With one player Texas will strengthen two position groupings. It's hard to project where he'll have his greatest impact as a junior because he's so versatile he can play wherever he's most needed. The good news is he's such a natural player he should excel wherever they put him.

WR Jake Smith, Notre Dame Prep (Scottsdale, AZ) - 6-1, 200 (.9620)

The Recruitment: I was late to watch his highlights because I just figured he'd end up at USC or Ohio State but after he visited it became apparent his interest was genuine. Texas made great early in-roads to beat USC and earn his commitment over the summer, then was able to keep Alabama at bay thanks to strong relationships. Tim Beck and his strong ties to Arizona deserves a nod for the assist.

The Player: Similar to Whittington in that both are very quick and can line up all over, Smith is probably faster though not as powerful. Smith is your jet motion/screen threat who can also line up at running back and log carries. He will grow into a densely built multi-tool who also features in the return game. We've seen hints of the staff's creativity, Smith is the type of player who can really let their imagination run wild. Another plus that he and Whittington share is possession receiver ability to move the chains.

The Projection: He'll be too good to be kept off the field as a freshman and with Humphrey declaring he could become a focal point of the offense. It may take some time for the staff to fully marry his skill-set to the creative pages of the playbook, but in the meantime he can run all the normal routes too. Beyond next year, he and Whittington are just going to align all over the place and catch defenses in mismatches.

WR Marcus Washington, Trinity Catholic (St. Louis, MO) - 6-2, 195 (.9217)

The Recruitment: Washington was set to commit to Ohio State in the summer before scandal broke out in Columbus. Even in the lead up to his Ohio State decision the staff was recruiting him hard, almost getting him to visit in July. Once he decided to slow his process down, Texas went full steam ahead earning his commitment in the fall. He nearly stayed close to home to play at Missouri, but his heart was at Texas and he stuck to his decision that he made.

The Player: Washington is a smooth, fluid route runner with strong hands and good initial quickness off the line. He profiles well to becoming an X boundary receiver who is easy for the quarterback to get the ball to. Hands and ability to separate are a quarterback's best friend. He's pretty slick after the catch too and has home run play ability. His physical build will lend itself to blocking as well as beating press.

[that was written before we saw him do just that in the Under Armour game]

The Projection: I expect him to start a lot of games at X after Collin Johnson departs. I think he could make a name for himself as early as his second year on campus. To me he's the future at X, but could also play Z.

WR Kennedy Lewis, Melissa (Melissa, TX) - 6-3, 190 (.8709)

The Recruitment: He offered very intriguing film his junior year than backed that up by impressing on the camp scene this past summer. TCU took note and pushed for his commitment. Texas took note and offered over the summer to get its foot in the door should it need to pursue in the fall. The staff hosted Lewis in October and landed him very late in the process. He was all set to visit Washington the last weekend before NSD1 but with the understanding he was going to be a Longhorn, that trip was cancelled.

The Player: A tall, fleet-footed receiver with a good build that will easily pack on muscle, Lewis will add size to the Z field receiver. His stride chews up ground off the line and after the catch. He has some work to do as a route runner but certainly has the natural athleticism and fluidity to become more refined. Ball skills are fine, hands are good, he's an exciting upside prospect.

The Projection: He'll likely red-shirt and put on 15-20 functional pounds while learning the nuances of the position. Z will be bolstered by Devin Duvernay and John Burt in 2019, but after that the position is wide open. Expect Lewis to be competing for snaps by the time 2020 rolls around.

TIGHT END

TE Brayden Liebrock, Chandler (Chandler, AZ) - 6-5, 220 (.9240)

The Recruitment: Upon my first review of his film I put him out of mind. I figured for sure he was going to Notre Dame or Stanford. Then I saw he was rated an .88 or something ridiculous. Like with Smith, Texas jumped in early, got him to campus, and won him over in the late spring/early summer.

The Player: He's an absolutely fantastic receiving tight end. He has wide receiver ability in a tight end frame. He uses the entirety of his catch radius and makes all the varied types of receptions: away from his body, different hand positions, contested, back shoulder, laying out, etc. He's urgent in his routes -- linebackers and flat-footed safeties are going to get eaten up. The position is often an afterthought in high school offenses (it's become less so, though) but Liebrock was a focal point and very productive. His main question will be how soon will he throw his body around and become a credible blocker. He will require some physical development but has the frame for it.

The Projection: Herman is married to 11 personnel, meaning tight end doesn't come off the field much. Having a receiving threat he can flex out that's legitimately dangerous will give this offense another dimension. We saw how much Andrew Beck was featured in the offense and schemed open. He's not half the receiver Liebrock is. The flip-side of that coin is Liebrock is mostly an unknown helping out in the run game. Becoming average in that regard will play a part in his overall role in the offense. In the end, his receiving skills will be too good to keep him off the field. He'll need 10,000 reps as a blocker and even more in the weight room adding size and strength but at some point it will all come together for him. He's the best receiving threat Texas has landed at the position since Jermichael Finley.

TE Jared Wiley, Temple (Temple, TX) - 6-6, 230 (.8546)

The Recruitment: Wiley was offered during the spring evaluation period at a time when not much was known about him. He had a quiet, drama free recruitment and wasted little time with his decision, committing in May.

The Player: Here's where it gets interesting. The more homework I did on Wiley the more apparent it became he was a steal. Obviously he had great size, but he also hit 8 home runs and hit for a high average in baseball. He was set to play quarterback for his storied high school (which he also played at a high level). With baseball comes good hand-eye coordination, processing, and reactions. With playing quarterback comes an understanding of where to run your routes versus differing defenses. It gives you a certain field vision you might not have otherwise. Now roll these unique traits into a giant, easy moving tight end. to top it off, I hear he has good hands and is highly competitive. He may end up being the steal of the class.

The Projection: If he's as competitive as I think he is he'll become a good blocker in time. Like with Liebrock, that's an unknown as he gets set to begin his career but obviously the staff has no concerns. Wiley running down seams isn't going to be fair for defenses worried about the other skill talent around him. While Liebrock gets most of the press, Wiley has some very unique traits that make it likely he makes a farce out of his rating. Enrolling early will give him a jump on working towards that end. Texas has questions at tight end heading into next year. Wiley will be a quick responder to S&C. While I think he'll red-shirt, playing next year isn't out of the question. After a year in the program he should become a solid contributor at a minimum.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Class Needs: 3-4

OL Tyler Johnson, Oak Ridge (Conroe, TX) - 6-5, 305 (.9814)

The Recruitment: The early read on Johnson played out: he was going to sign with a good state school/football program with good academics. Texas fit the bill and Johnson made the call in May.

The Player: For such a big guy he gets out of his stance with ease whether in pass protection or run blocking. He's bouncy on the move and will make an excellent puller. I thought he played with a meaner streak this year and did better finishing blocks.

The Projection: I'm unsure if he's a tackle or guard on the next level but one thing is encouraging, we already know he's a great athlete while carrying 305 pounds. I think he does have the athleticism for tackle but guard might be his more natural position. In that regard there's a little Justin Blalock to him. He's enrolling early and I think there's a good chance he makes the two-deep. I could see a scenario where he plays guard as a freshman, sandwiched between two experienced players.

OL Isaiah Hookfin, Dulles (Sugar Land, TX) - 6-4, 265 (.8910)

The Recruitment: A late-bloomer who didn't pick up his Texas offer until early November, Hookfin looked locked into Texas from that point. Just as things looked settled with Hookfin and Texas, Baylor made a late move and nearly pulled off the upset. Hookfin signed on the final day of the early signing period.

The Player: Has the traits that give him a chance to be a future left tackle. He's quick afoot, bends well, and has good-enough length. I think he could be really good on the pull, which is something we started to see Texas do with its tackles.

The Projection: He's on the smaller end of the P5 tackle spectrum, and I don't mean weight. That means his quickness and ability to play with leverage will have to continue developing and become defining traits. Necessary strength will come. The test for him will be, is he going to stay focused and keep working for years in preparation of his opportunity down the line?

Interestingly enough, Hookfin and Javonne Shepherd are rated almost identically.

Pretty good read. I think IT is way overselling Roschon. I like him, and think he can be good, but his accuracy is absolutely an issue. His mechanics are really inconsistent and they lead to some really bad throws. He doesn’t transfer his weight forward consistently and this leads to different arm angles and way too many bad throws. Johnson needs to not play for two years and fix his mechanics til it’s muscle memory. If he can fix his mechanics, he’ll be a stud in this offense, but that absolutely has to happen and it’s a little concerning that he hasn’t shown more improvement by now. His practice clips at the UA game showed the same mechanicsal issues he had his sophomore year. 

IT saying his accuracy is good and comparing him to Sam is a little ridiculous. Sam was a much better passer in HS, especially his Junior year. I still like Johnson a lot as a high ceiling QB take, but he’s not a sure thing at all.

Wiley’s a guy who probably doesn’t get talked about enough. He’s shown great athleticism in three sports and has a tremendous frame. He reminds me of the kind of prospect Rice takes and turns him into an NFL TE by year 3 or 4.

@Fud I’d be curious to hear your thoughts on Roschon.

Edited by Burt Macklin

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m not sure Major will be able to come back to UT. Herman was able to push Horny through (that’s a weird sentence), but bringing major back even as QC is different. 

He was set to come to Texas until he got the UH job 

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Pretty good read. I think IT is way overselling Roschon. I like him, and think he can be good, but his accuracy is absolutely an issue. His mechanics are really inconsistent and they lead to some really bad throws. He doesn’t transfer his weight forward consistently and this leads to different arm angles and way too many bad throws. Johnson needs to not play for two years and fix his mechanics til it’s muscle memory. If he can fix his mechanics, he’ll be a stud in this offense, but that absolutely has to happen and it’s a little concerning that he hasn’t shown more improvement by now. His practice clips at the UA game showed the same mechanicsal issues he had his sophomore year.  

IT saying his accuracy is good and comparing him to Sam is a little ridiculous. Sam was a much better passer in HS, especially his Junior year. I still like Johnson a lot as a high ceiling QB take, but he’s not a sure thing at all.

Wiley’s a guy who probably doesn’t get talked about enough. He’s shown great athleticism in three sports and has a tremendous frame. He reminds me of the kind of prospect Rice takes and turns him into an NFL TE by year 3 or 4.

He's got the time and a good QB coach in Beck to help work out his issues, and I'm sure his position coaching was a bit different at Port Neches than Sam's at Westlake. I have faith.

Just now, texifornia said:

He's got the time and a good QB coach in Beck to help work out his issues, and I'm sure his position coaching was a bit different at Port Neches than Sam's at Westlake. I have faith.

Lulz. I’m not saying he sucks. I like him as our QB take. I’m just saying he’s not nearly as much of a sure thing as IT is making it sound and he will likely need some serious development time before he’s ready to go.

he’s the kind of guy that’s good to take when you’ve stacked good QB prospects around him like we have, which is also why we really need to keep one of Thompson or Rising, which it sounds like we’ll do.

Rivals250 updated rankings: https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals250/2019

1. Derek Stingley

3. Trey Sanders

4. Jadon Haselwood

10. DeMarvin Leal

11. Theo Wease

12. Bru McCoy

13. Spencer Rattler

18. Marcel Brooks

19. Chris Steele

21. Trejan Bridges

22. Kenyon Green

26. Kardell Thomas

30. Erick Young

32. Garrett Wilson

33. Jordan Whittington

36. John Emery

43. Noah Cain

48. Jake Smith

53. Marcus Banks

54. Lewis Cine

62. Tyler Owens

77. Brayden Liebrock

78. Stacey Wilkins

84. Brian Williams

88. Dylan Wright

97. Tyler Johnson

105. Marcus Washington

109. Demani Richardson

112. Kenyatta Watson

119. Elijah Higgins

121. Rian Davis

123. De'Gabriel Floyd

124. Marquez Beason

130. Arjei Henderson

134. Baylor Cupp

144. Tyrion Davis

149. Maninoa Tufono

153. Isaiah Spiller

154. Chris Adimora

169. Isaiah Hookfin

174. Marcus Stripling

200. Jeremiah Criddell

204. Kam Brown

210. Branson Bragg

212. Kenyon Jackson

219. David Gbenda

224. Andre White

230. Colt Ellison

236. Peyton Powell

238. Derrian Brown

243. Jalen Catalon

245. Marcus Hicks

250. Deondrick Glass

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Owens got a massive bump; Smith, Liebrock, and Marcus Washington got nice increases; Tyler Johnson fell 15 spots.

Is that a 'they deliberately dropped him down the rankings' fall or a 'they chose not to give him a bump so he fell back behind others who were given a bump' fall?

E.J. on Tennessee grad transfer OT Drew Richmond:

Tennessee OL Drew Richmond is in the transfer portal but is an interesting situation in the sense that he would technically be a grad transfer. As y'all have figured out, Richmond is on the Texas radar. I'm actually told that Herb Hand is slated to see him this week. Look for interest with Richmond to ramp up after Hand makes his stop as Texas continues to look for immediate OL help. Hand was also supposed to see grad transfer RJ Proctor this week, but weather prevented the trip.

Side note: I'm likely going to take over Richmond and transfer overall moving forward. It's something I will discuss with Bobby when I get back. You guys win again...

Also, looking at the previous Rivals rankings (thanks, @Fud - https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/75-texas-recruiting-notes-2019/&page=597&tab=comments#comment-823285), it looks like Gbenda and Hoofin are new entrants, and as such should be in line for composite increases as well.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

On a lighter note, whenever rankings updates are released I'm reminded of this scene from the Big Short. (Moody's and S&P = Rivals and 247, big banks = big CFB programs and their fans, securities = recruits, etc. etc.)

So which one if Fong and which one is Elko in this clip? 

Just now, NorLa Horns said:

Jeff howe/ mike roach combo wouldn't hurt my feelings. 

Howe isn't covering recruiting any time soon unless it looks like UT 247 is going to go out of business. Howe requested off the road several years ago for health and family reasons, and Burton granted his wish. Would take a lot to force him back on the road and for him to accept it. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Howe isn't covering recruiting any time soon unless it looks like UT 247 is going to go out of business. Howe requested off the road several years ago for health and family reasons, and Burton granted his wish. Would take a lot to force him back on the road and for him to accept it. 

Also, he just had a baby.