Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Bama 247 reporting that Nick Saban and Jeff Banks will be in-home with Javonne Shepherd today. (they already have 5 OL commits for 2019 from ESD). 

The Tide signed five offensive linemen in the Early Signing Period, a list that includes Evan Neal, Pierce Quick, Amari Kight, Darrian Dalcourt, and Tanner Bowles.

Just now, bigup2dahorns said:

Quoting this tweet from Casey Thompson for whenever he deletes it:

I shouldn’t have to do this but I haven’t made a decision and the reports did not come from me. I hate finding out news from twitter and so should any coach. That’s not the right way to do things—it’s unprofessional. I like to inform and be informed myself. Deleting this tweet.

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I think the new norm for Texas should be to take two QB's every cycle. The first coaching staff that can effectively sell top level recruits on a 2 QB class due to the transfer portal will have an enormous advantage. Let the cream rise to the top and let the rest transfer out. We should anticipate losing 1 to 2 QB's each offseason and account for that with numbers. If guys go unexpectedly like Rising, then you at least have guys who know the system and can be good if not great until the next wunderkind takes over. I think Casey Thompson can evolve into a great QB in this system. Roschon needs 2 years to become a better passer, but he has elite potential.

Cam Rising is a guy I hate to lose, but our offense would have looked closer to when Shane was on the field with him as the starter, and that is not as effective without a great running game behind him. I expect us to take another step forward in the run game, but I doubt we become an elite running team next year. Shane is a guy I am happy to see go, both for him to see playing time and to keep the younger guys in the fold. 

Two every single class is overkill 

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

My thought is that it will spread the QB wealth across to more programs, but will damage QB depth for bigger schools. The current Texas situation seems like it could be a microcosm of this - instead of having 5 quality QBs next year, we'll have 3 and someone else gets Buechele for a year (maybe SMU) and someone else gets Rising for a few years. Thus, two additional teams upgrade at QB, while Texas's depth is thinned. Same with the QB who is transferring from OU while they're adding an experienced QB, etc. 

On the other hand, I could see big programs benefiting overall by filling holes at other positions with grad transfers (see Calvin Anderson and Tre Watson). Guys from smaller schools who may have been overlooked out of HS and perform well in C-USA or whatever will start getting recruited to bigger programs. 

So...for major programs, I could see it as a negative at QB (at least in terms of depth) and a positive elsewhere. 

+1.. (Out of reps)

• Like 1

Just now, Barry_McCokiner said:

Guy had offers from Ivy league schools and was thinking of southern MIss?

Ivy league offers aren't the same type of scholarship. 

USM has Scotty Walden on staff and has just named him Co-OC. If you want to find the next UberWunderkind in college football coaching - this is him. 

USM has produced some good QBs that are currently having success in the NFL. (Austin Davis and Nick Mullens). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Laga4 said:

Sounds like a job for a special assistant.  Scout the C-USA type and smaller schools for that player that has developed late and slipped through.  

I know you couldn't recruit the guys unless they put their name in the portal,  but you would think a pretty good player would put their name in the portal every year to see if you could upgrade schools.  

There will be backdoor ways that these players with an opportunity to upgrade schools will be contacted and recruited to put their names in the Transfer portal....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Our AD needs to give Chip Brown the Hamm Treatment.  

He's backtracking hard, haha

I'm told just let things play out... let's see if Casey is on campus by Sunday. I'm told Casey was upset he didn't get to tell the coaches who were recruiting him about his decision before it got out. Just a little patience here ...

Once again, Chip Brown is a fraudulent cocksucker intent on creating lies about the University of Texas football program and recruiting many of which are to the detriment of the school.  Any radio station or website associated with his lying, fraudulent drivel should be permanently blackballed until such time as that fraudulent cocksucker is fired.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Ivy league offers aren't the same type of scholarship. 

USM has Scotty Walden on staff and has just named him Co-OC. If you want to find the next UberWunderkind in college football coaching - this is him. 

USM has produced some good QBs that are currently having success in the NFL. (Austin Davis and Nick Mullens). 

About Scotty.... Saw this for this year's AFCA Convention that was in San Antonio earlier this month:

"On Jan. 6, an elite group of the nation’s brightest young football minds will convene in San Antonio for the American Football Coaches Association “35 Under 35 Coaches Leadership Institute,” and Cleburne’s Scotty Walden will take part in the prestigious program."

"Walden was one of 35 coaches under the age of 35 selected out of a nationwide pool to participate in the program, which is aimed at identifying and developing future leaders in the football coaching profession."

Edited by LTtxfan

8 minutes ago, Eternal Noob said:

He may have had the right info, he was just too much of a prick to make sure it was OK to report it.

I think it's way more likely that Chip completely made it up, no different than the bullshit when he CLEARLY fabricated "quotes" attributed to Steve Beuchele. fucker has very few sources and certainly none that are actual decision makers in this athletic department. 

• Like 2

I think we're pretty fortunate that most of our signees that will likely have an impact as freshman are enrolling early (Whittington, the two juco guys, Gabe, and maybe Tyler Johnson. Jake Smith and Derrian Brown being the exceptions. Roschon being here is important as well.

Edited by thepop