Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I agree, it sucks. Dude is very potentially going to make Herman look like a bitch flipping to aggy on NSD. Lots of people know it’s coming, but there will still be that perception from those that don’t.  Shitty but unless you want to burn the bridge with folks like Demas who are close to JS, have to continue to suck his fat ass. 

Show me your Texags forearm tattoo 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Show me your Texags forearm tattoo 

Oh yeah I forgot where I was. You are right, it’s going to look great losing a position of need to the instate rival on NSD. Especially after the player has been “committed” for a fucking year. Like I said, lots have people have seen it coming. Ctj been talking about it for a month plus now. The story line is being set, spurning UGA visit, maybe visiting Bama. At the end of the day it’s so they can fan the flames for aggy. Doesn’t mean general public that doesn’t follow this shit daily will have the same perception as the guys on this board. 

• Fuck You 6

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Oh yeah I forgot where I was. You are right, it’s going to look great losing a position of need to the instate rival on NSD. Especially after the player has been “committed” for a fucking year. Like I said, lots have people have seen it coming. Ctj been talking about it for a month plus now. The story line is being set, spurning UGA visit, maybe visiting Bama. At the end of the day it’s so they can fan the flames for aggy. Doesn’t mean general public that doesn’t follow this shit daily will have the same perception as the guys on this board. 

Most people don't even follow recruiting enough to care. If Shepherd does anything with himself, then people might actually care enough to talk about it.

Edited by Atticus

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

And that matters how? Why do you care so much? Stop being a pussy.

Because top 3 classes aren’t in the same realm as top 10 classes. I know, new car smell blah blah.  Same thing the ags were saying about the ‘18 class. Guess we’ll have to see how ‘20 goes to really find a trend on who’s doing what

• Fuck You 3

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Because top 3 classes aren’t in the same realm as top 10 classes. I know, new car smell blah blah.  Same thing the ags were saying about the ‘18 class. Guess we’ll have to see how ‘20 goes to really find a trend on who’s doing what

This guy has bust written all over him and is going to be a waste of a scholarship at whatever school he signs at. Why should you care if he flips to Aggy?

5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Shepherd flipped to Aggy a long time ago. Texas has recruited as if he wasn’t a commit for some time. 

I’ll bow back out. Y’all know about this shit than I do, I just follow it for kicks.  I still think there is negative perception. All we can do is hope is doesn’t sway any kids (Evans wants goons on his line, per recent tweet) and hope he cancers the fuck out of their lockerroom. 

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’ll bow back out. Y’all know about this shit than I do, I just follow it for kicks.  I still think there is negative perception. All we can do is hope is doesn’t sway any kids (Evans wants goons on his line, per recent tweet) and hope he cancers the fuck out of their lockerroom. 

Evans is buddies with Chad Lindberg and Dameion George. They matter way more to him than Shepherd.

Edited by texifornia

27 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Go look at class rating averages dumbass. We have the same quality of players as them, just less this year. Their class doesn’t come close to our 2018 class.

last year, we took 27 players at a .9216 rating. aggy this year has 25 commits at a .9104 and we have 23 at 9119. 

aggy’s class this year doesn’t even come close to our class last year.

39 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Evans is buddies with Chad Lindberg and Dameion George. They matter way more to him than Shepherd.

I agree wholeheartedly. 

Like I said originally, just sucks the macro perception is Jimbo came in late, decided he could take a year long commit from UT, and might.  Not exactly true, but it’s what the common idiot on Txags will be spouting all over Twitter. I know, wgaf, still isn’t ideal.   Anyways, fuck them, hope they aggy up FWKs business model, and somehow down the line Herman can avoid even these “perceptions”. 

• Fuck You 2

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Go look at class rating averages dumbass. We have the same quality of players as them, just less this year. Their class doesn’t come close to our 2018 class.

last year, we took 27 players at a .9216 rating. aggy this year has 25 commits at a .9104 and we have 23 at 9119. 

aggy’s class this year doesn’t even come close to our class last year.

Yeah I saw the tweet. Kickers kind of skew those, you know.  

Thier secondary doesn’t compare. I sure af would like to have Leal. 

• Fuck You 8

The amount of people that worry about “perception” always amazes me. 

I remember in the ‘17 cycle when Herman offered Rashaud Paul late in the cycle and people freaked out about “perception” because Texas wasn’t able to flip him. I remember how that recruitment was going to give Sumlin momentum and screw Texas in the ‘18 class. 

Perception means shit and it will have little to no impact moving forward. Nobody will even remember Shepherd’s recruitment one month after much like Paul. 

Edited by texasstrong12

15 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The amount of people that worry about “perception” always amazes me. 

I remember in the ‘17 cycle when Herman offered Rashaud Paul late in the cycle and people freaked out about “perception” because Texas wasn’t able to flip him. I remember how that recruitment was going to give Sumlin momentum and screw Texas in the ‘18 class. 

Perception means shit and it will have little to no impact moving forward. Nobody will even remember Shepherd’s recruitment one month after much like Paul. 

Especially when they aren’t really big time recruits. I can maybe be talked into thinking perception matters with a consensus 5-star, but Paul was a 3-star, and Shepherd is so flaky that it’s affected his ranking, he’s barely a 4-star at this point. 

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

To be clear, I’ve been saying since he committed that people should be ignoring the premise. He’s an aggie and has been for forever. 

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

No, why do you care what general fans who don't follow things closely think about a "late flip" that really isn't a late flip. Do you think top prospects and coaching staffs don't actually know what's going on? You basically seem to care a whole lot about what non-serious fans think and I'm asking why. It has zero bearing on our program's success, so why do you care? Does it make you sad or mad or something when people say bad things about Texas?

A few people in the “general public that doesn’t follow this shit daily” may notice, and they may even remember for a day or two. Doesn’t make a shit for anyone that pays attention, including future recruits. Grow a sack

41 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Do you think top prospects and coaching staffs don't actually know what's going on? You basically seem to care a whole lot about what non-serious fans think and I'm asking why. 

I believe the vast majority of the time, the coaching staff knows what’s going on. Then you get Rising hosting Bru and makes you say huh. 

I care mostly because I work and live in an enclave of aggy, and it’s a lot more fun when Texas is poaching their recruits, or making them look dumb to the masses. I’d rather not endure the whoop durr jimbo took another from tu whoop a couple times a day. 

At the end of the day I don’t really dgaf where he signs, I think he could still be a good player and depth if he gets his mental right.  This conversation started because I said the optics suck, wish there was another way to deal with shithead recruits, but there’s not. Just kind of have to take the good with the bad. That’s all. 

Edited by fattyflattie

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I believe the vast majority of the time, the coaching staff knows what’s going on. Then you get Rising hosting Bru and makes you say huh. 

I care mostly because I work and live in an enclave of aggy, and it’s a lot more fun when Texas is poaching their recruits, or making them look dumb to the masses. I’d rather not endure the whoop durr jimbo took another from tu whoop a couple times a day. 

At the end of the day I don’t really dgaf where he signs, I think he could still be a good player and depth if he gets his mental right.  This conversation started because I said the optics suck, wish there was another way to deal with shithead recruits, but there’s not. Just kind of have to take the good with the bad. That’s all. 

I've seen this 'Rising hosted Bru' thing more and more often lately but didn't that just originate on this board when Rising committed to Utah? It had already been confirmed as Chris Steele and not someone on our side unless something new has come to light

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I've seen this 'Rising hosted Bru' thing more and more often lately but didn't that just originate on this board when Rising committed to Utah? It had already been confirmed as Chris Steele and not someone on our side unless something new has come to light

@TrojanPrincess said it was from our side as well.

24 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Seemed like Colin Johnson should have hosted him. A Cali receiver that bleeds burnt orange. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah I saw the tweet. Kickers kind of skew those, you know.  

Thier secondary doesn’t compare. I sure af would like to have Leal. 

Great point. So excluding kickers and punters, our 2018 class had an average of 92.87 and aggy’s 2019 class has a 91.36 average while our 2019 class is still at 91.19.  So once again, aggy with a first year coaching bump is doing basically exactly what we did this year coming off an underwhelming 7-6 season and is not even close to comparable to our #3 2018 class. 

So once again, your original post saying top 3 classes aren’t the same as top 10 classes without even looking at the quality of each class is just plain stupid.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Sounds like you cant manage a handful of aggies and have to tuck your penis and run when they come jabbering in your direction. Thats on you. The rest of us dont struggle with making a bunch of mouthbreathers STFU and get back in line with a few choice comments. 

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Obviously no one on this coaching staff can go any type of negative on Shep or FWK. Bad business, bad look, all of that. But I'd be lying if I wasn't hoping for D'Gabriel Floyd to light that shit up right now. I imagine he's not liking this recruitment/commitment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: Can Texas keep Javonne Shepherd?

Call it, where does Javonne Shepherd end up? — texas_d11

EJ: Right now, I still feel like he ends up at Texas since the Longhorns are set to host him for his last official visit. But honestly, anything can happen in this recruitment. Texas A&M hosted him last weekend, and the Aggies gave him a ton to think about. Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if he does flip to Texas A&M, and it appears confidence is growing in College Station. This one has been a rollercoaster, and anything can happen. I repeat, anything can happen. If I had to be in Vegas, I would pivot and hit the slots. I’d have a better chance to win there.

Mike: I'll also say Texas, but this probably won't finish without a little bit of drama. If Shepherd were to flip, I think he'd do it before tripping to Austin, and he would probably cancel that visit. If he makes it to Austin for his official, I'll say they sign him.

How much does Javonne Shepherd's upcoming decision on NSD2 affect Demond Demas? — Casey67

EJ: It will have a big impact. If Shepherd ends up flipping to Texas A&M, I think Demas will remain firm in his verbal pledge to the Aggies. If Shepherd sticks with Texas, it gives Demas a lot of reason to flip his pledge to the Longhorns. Remember, Demas visited Texas on several occasions in the fall — after he committed to Texas A&M — and we expect him to visit again this weekend. Shepherd’s decision could also have an impact on 2021 wide receiver target Latrell Neville as they are close friends.

Mike: I think there is some impact there, but these things always end up going a different way. Is Demas more likely to stick if Shepherd commits to A&M? Sure, but I won't say it's an automatic. I also don't think it's an automatic Demas flips to Texas if Shepherd stays.

What seems to be the preferred order of prospects on the OL (including grad transfers, JUCOs and HS)? — lhorns

EJ: Finding an immediate impact player on the offensive line is a top priority. The Longhorns are looking hard at grad transfers RJ Proctor, Justin Murphy and Drew Richmond. They could all become top priorities. The Longhorns have also been in contact with JUCO products Desmond Bland and Bamidele Olaseni over the last week. Of course, Texas could add a high school player like Ira Henry, who is firmly on the radar.

Mike: I'd say grad transfer, JUCO and high school in that order. They've found success with the few grad transfers who came into the program and contributed this year. I'd be they lean on going the same route against the gamble of JUCO.

Could both RJ Proctor and Justin Murphy be added to Herb Hand’s offensive line? — UTwildcatter34

EJ: I think it’s more likely that the Longhorns add one. Proctor is going to be heavily recruited as is the aforementioned Richmond, so the Longhorns are going to have to fight hard for both. Murphy makes a lot of sense and seems like layup considering he’s from Central Texas and played for UT staffer Bob Shipley at Belton. But his injury history is reason for concern.

Mike: I will also say they get at least one of those. Texas showed in 2018 that they can plug in these guys and have success, and they should be able to pitch that effectively.

People have been talking about Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington getting carries. Obviously, that was an important aspect of the pitch for Smith. What kind of carries do you expect these guys to realistically get? Should we expect similar usage of Mookie Cooper should he choose orange? — JakeCooper

EJ: Whittington will see more time in the backfield than Smith. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if Whittington gets more work at running back than he does at wide receiver this spring. He has the build of a running back and obviously, y’all saw his ability as a ball carrier at state this year. Smith is going to be used how the Kansas City Chiefs use Tyreek Hill. Expect him to get some snaps in the backfield. However, the majority of plays, he’ll be lined up in the slot or out wide. Cooper is kind of Tarik Cohen-esque. I feel like he could get more time in the backfield, but Texas really likes him as a slot.

Mike: I'd say it's likely Whittington is a 10-14 carry guy, and Smith is more of a 3-6 carry guy on a per game basis depending on need. Smith will be used more to space the field and take defenders out of the box, and I'd bet the majority of his carries come on jet sweeps.

Texas did really well in 2018 with in-state recruiting. A&M largely dominated the state in 2019. What was the cause of the shift and how are things faring for 2020 and beyond for in-state recruiting? Do we expect this to become even more difficult with Dana Holgerson joining UH? — Rmarkas

EJ: A lot of it had to do with the newness of Jimbo Fisher. Take Brian Williams for example. He didn’t even visit Texas A&M for a game the fall before he committed. Texas was thought to be the early leader then bam, he gave the Aggies a verbal pledge in the spring. Fisher has a national title under his belt, can sell the SEC and built some early momentum with several of the state’s top prospects. Herman did kind of the same thing during his first full cycle in 2018. Now is where the real battles begin. There is no more new car smell. Texas can sell competing for conference titles and beating SEC power Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. I think the Longhorns have the in-state advantage, for the most part, heading into the spring.

Mike: The new car smell of a coach always helps, and it's even better when that coach has a national championship under his belt. Kids are more open to being part of a re-build, and Texas tapped that well in 2018. In 2019, kids knew they were contending with the 2018 Texas class, and the shine wore off after a lackluster first regular season. Ten wins and a Sugar Bowl should swing things back more towards the middle, but A&M's finish to the season will also be fresh on the minds of the 2020 class. I don't expect Dana Holgersen to have the same impact. He's never been known as a lights out recruiter, and Houston is harder to sell.

Do we sign another RB or stay with what we got? — Sandyg

EJ: Texas passed on Deondrick Glass, who just committed to Oklahoma State, and isn’t going to take another running back just to have a body at the position. It sucks for Texas, but the Longhorns went all in on Noah Cain and Trey Sanders and missed. The good news for Texas is that 2020 is loaded at the position and that Zach Evans is probably better than both Cain and Sanders. If the right grad transfer or straight transfer comes along, Texas could go that route. But it’s going to be one for now.

Mike: At this point, I think Texas packs it in and plans to give Whittington some touches while focusing on Zach Evans in 2020. Unless an amazing transfer opportunity opens up as EJ said, I don't think they will take up a scholarship with a body.

Who do you think end up being the most important recruit in this class? Long-term and immediately? — MackWest19

EJ: De'Gabriel Floyd for sure. While I love Jake Smith, Floyd has been the face of the 2019 recruiting class and has a chance to be the face of UT’s defense for years to come. He is the perfect Big 12 linebacker and will be a nightmare for Todd Orlando.

Mike: Floyd is special, and he has the opportunity to be a difference maker, but I'll go with a trench warrior. For me that would either be Tyler Johnson (who can turn the tide of Texas failing to develop highly ranked linemen) or T'Vondre Sweat (Who has the ceiling to dominate if he can fully develop).

Is Prince Dorbah likely to commit this spring? In & Out overratedness a national travesty? — hook_em__

EJ: Dorbah doesn’t have a set timeline. While he loves Texas early on, he is also high on Oklahoma and is intrigued by new options like LSU, Ohio State and Oregon. Dorbah is a smart kid and is likely going to evaluate all of his options before coming to a decision. And yes, In & Out sucks. Team Whataburger. My go-to is the No. 1 with cheese, bacon, jalapenos and bbq sauce only.

Mike:I would bet Dorbah carries things out. He seems like a guy who is going to want to take visits and see some schools before making a decision. I actually like In & Out's burgers, but their fries are garbage. At a recent event we were given gift cards for covering the event, and there was one Whataburger gift card and a bunch of In & Outs. I was given the choice for me and EJ, and I took the Whataburger and left him high and dry.

Favorite prospect out of each of the following regions: Houston, Austin, DFW, Beast Texas and OOS. — uthaas

EJ: I’m going to assume your question means across all classes. In Houston, I would have to go with Chad Lindberg. He’s actually a bit of recruiting nut and knows about all the prospects and where they are ranked. He’s also a cool kid with a great head on his shoulders. And his mom, Emily, is awesome. I know Mike is probably going with Elijah Higgins, so I’ll say Hudson Card. He just has a cool vibe and is extremely humble. His mom, Cindy, is also one of my favorite parents. In D-FW, man, this one is hard since I’m a resident and know a lot of kids on a personal basis. It’s hard to choose one. Prince Dorbah, Darius Snow, Chris Thompson and Ja’Quinden Jackson are some of my favorites. In East Texas, I would go with James Sylvester. Funny dude and beast on the field. Hope he gets his Texas offer. OOS, Jake Smith, of course. The definition of swag.

Mike: I'm stretching the Houston area a bit, but I'll include the Golden Triangle and say Roschon Johnson. He was always very cool and honest from the beginning of his recruitment. He's a really smart kid who I enjoy talking with. Austin is tough because I loved the trio of Jaylen Ellis, Garrett Wilson and Elijah Higgins, but I have to go with Higgins. I remember talking to his dad when he didn't have an offer and telling him he was going to have a bunch by the time he was a senior. In D-FW, it would probably come down to Dashaun White from last year, Chris Thompson from next year or EJ Ndoma-Ogar from this year. Again, all three are really intelligent and have been open and honest with us in talking with them. East Texas goes to Jawan King. He's a running back who signed with Rice, but I thought he should have had bigger offers. I'll also add in San Antonio and say that getting to know Jaylon Jones and his family has been great. They made my stop in Cibolo really cool along with the Steele staff. Out of state is Noah Cain. Noah is in my top three of favorite guys ever. He was a star who never carried himself like he was too big for anyone else.