Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/01/27/how-williams-fields-noa-pola-gates-suddenly-became-one-nations-hottest-recruits/1070701001/

Free safety Noa Pola-Gates this week picked up an Oregon football offer, just the latest in a sudden burst of offers that he described as, "Crazy."

That was before the Gilbert Williams Field junior picked up three more Pac-12 offers -- Washington, Utah and Colorado.

He has nine total offers, seven since he tore it up with his speed and skills at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl national combine in San Antonio in early January.

Before the combine, Pola-Gates, 6-foot-2, 180 pounds, had offers from Memphis and Arizona. Following the combine, he picked up offers from Arizona State, Nebraska and Iowa State right off the bat.

"It was huge," Pola-Gates said of the national combine. "I'm unranked. I knew I had to go in there and handle my business. It was a bunch of four- and five-star dudes from all over the country. But it made me fight harder.

"I relaxed after my 40 run and L drill, made some friends and started to have fun."

247Sports put Pola-Gates on its all-combine team and made these comments about him:

"Nobody tested better. He ran the fasted 40 of the day at 4.4 and jumped out of the Alamo Dome in the broad jump. A freak that also used that athleticism to make plays during 1-on-1s as well. Arizona and Memphis have offered the Gilbert (Ariz.) Field standout."

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/04/open-post-weekend-april-27th-29th/

– If you follow recruiting, and I know you do, then you’ve probably heard of Bru McCoy. After all, McCoy is a five star ATH out of Santa Ana, CA (Mater Dei).

Since McCoy isn’t from this area, I wanted to get to know a little more about him. His father was gracious enough to speak with me about his son, his background, and his recruitment.

I usually end with a quick evaluation of a player but I’ll do things a little different here and begin with a few thoughts on McCoy’s film.

The size and athleticism is obvious. More on that later. But the thing you know that has the Texas staff fired up about McCoy is just how violently he does everything. Bru plays both ways. He’s a wide receiver and a rush OLB. And no matter what he’s doing, he’s doing 100% and he’s doing it with ferocity. His releases are aggressive. When he puts his foot in the dirt and turns to look for the ball, it’s violent and aggressive. When he comes off the ball, it’s aggressive. When he clubs, it’s aggressive. When he finishes off a quarterback…it’s…savage.

So, my first question to McCoy’s father, Horace, was about how ferocious his son is on the football field. It turns out, what you see on film, is written right in his name.

“Bru is a nickname. It’s short for ‘Bruiser’. We gave him that name when he was young because everything he does, he does at a hundred miles per hour. When he was little he smashed into a wall and the daycare lady said, he’s such a little bruiser. So, we chopped it to ‘Bru’”

Horace corroborated what I observed on film, “Bru plays wide receiver like a defender, like a linebacker”. His violence even shows up in 7v7. It’s always frustrating to watch the big wide receivers struggle to get off a jam. One of the reasons it happens is because of surface area. It’s easier for a DB to get his hands on a big wide receiver and if a wide receiver doesn’t know how to use his hands or doesn’t have the mentality to be physical at the line of scrimmage, they become ineffective.

Bruiser doesn’t have that problem, “Every game in seven on seven he (Bru) gets the best cornerback and he’s destroying guys that try to press him…getting off the line is a mentality. You have to have that dog mentality and I see that in him. He has that, ‘I’m going to win my battle’ mentality. Off the field he’s the nicest guy; well respected, well spoken and polite”.

Horace isn’t a casual observer of the game. He’s a former college football player himself. In fact Bru gets the athleticism from both sides of the family. Horace played football at Northern Illinois and his wife, Bru’s mother, played Volleyball at Northern Illinois.

Those genetics show up in Bru’s measurables. At the recent regional Nike Opening Bru measured in at 6’3 and over 200 lbs. At the size he ran verified 4.62 40, 4.22 shuttle and jumped nearly 40 inches!

But get this. He did all that, at that size, with a sports hernia that he recently had surgery for. Horace tells me Bru was actually in pain from the hernia but wanted to compete so badly that he pushed through it.

If you listen to Tom Herman talk about what they look for in football players, above all else he seems to be looking for attitude and effort – players who goes 100% all the time.

You don’t need to imagine that player, anymore. It’s Bru McCoy.

Recruiting and Texas

If you’re 6’3 and over 200 lbs and you can play football, it shouldn’t surprise you when you get an offer. If you’re the son of two former athletes, it should surprise you even less. Despite that, Horace McCoy was overwhelmed when Bru received his first scholarship offer. The offer came from Oregon during Bru’s freshman year, “I didn’t believe it. I told my wife I didn’t believe it. I’ll be honest, I got a little choked up because you put in all that work, you see your kid put in that work and when it comes to fruition, it’s amazing”.

Now, Bru has just about every offer you can imagine. But Texas is a school that certainly has the family’s attention. As we reported in April, Bru will take an official visit to Texas this upcoming weekend.

The plan is that Bru will take his unofficial visits in the spring and then the official visits in the fall – three officials during the season and two after the season.

But here’s where it get’s really interesting, Horace tells me that Texas will definitely be one of the official visits they take. They haven’t even stepped foot on campus but they’ve already decided they will take an official visit to Texas.

Why?

“It’s the relationship with BC (Brian Carrington). We have such a strong relationship with BC. He’s developed that rapport with myself and Bru. That’s important. With him I see that Texas builds a relationship with us. I don’t need to be recruited but I’d like to know who’s speaking to my son and what’s being said”.

In addition to the upcoming unofficial visit to Texas, the family plans to visit Oklahoma followed up by Ohio State and Michigan.

What’s Important

Horace laid out the things that are important to him and the family as they look at various schools. Being from the Midwest, originally, Horace wants his son to get a chance to feel what it’s like to see 100,000 fans cheering for a team. That isn’t something you really see on the West Coast. Being from Michigan, Horace knows how big football is in other parts of the country.

Among other things, the family is looking for:

1. A place that has tradition. As Horace put it, “I want Bru to feel it…”

2. Academic prestige of the institution is something Horace emphasized as very important.

3. A strong alumni base was another important factor.

4. Early playing time, “Bru works hard so he wants to play early, even if it’s just special teams…”

But perhaps above all else, and perhaps the reason the relationship that BC and the staff have built with McCoy is so important is that Horace says says, “I’m looking for a coach that truly care about him (Bru) as a young man. I’ll give you a good young man and I want you to give me back a great young man”. – (Super K)

– One of the visitors that was in Austin this weekend was Dekaney (TX) CB Marcus Banks. Back in early March, following Texas’ Junior Day, Banks set a commitment date. It looked like Texas was going to be the choice. He instead pushed the decision back because he wanted to take some extra visits. He’s been to LSU, and has visited Texas A&M twice, and now Texas.

Those are the main three schools in the mix for Banks right now. He doesn’t have a firm decision date set up right now, and it sounds like it could just happen whenever he feels right. He has an official visit set for Texas on May 5th.

One thing to note about Banks’ recruitment is that his mother LOVES Texas and their staff. And you know that they say about mom getting what she wants…

May could be a very good month for Texas recruiting wise… – (Andrew)

– We have been told by the family of A&M DB commit Demani Richardson that Coach Naivar was up in Waxahachie visiting Demani. Interestingly, A&M was also on campus in an attempt to block any momentum Texas gathers here.

Texas is very much in this one from what we’re hearing and A&M’s no visit policy may finally bite them in the rear.

While Naivar was in Dallas, he also went to see 2019 Lewis Cine, 2019 Jalen Catalon, 2020 Darius Snow, and 2020 Chris Thompson. All four are top priorities.

2019 DB Noa Pola-Gates

The next stop in Arizona was to see 2019 Defensive Back Noa Pola-Gates out of Gilbert, AZ (suburb of Phoenix). Even though Noa has a composite of 0.902, his film clearly indictates he’s much better than that. Noa is a ridiculous athlete who just knows where the ball is going and how to get downfield to lay out a ball carrier. But don’t take my word for it. Watch his film. It’s worth it.

Oregon, Penn State, and especially Alabama have shown him a lot of love. While he was originally looking to commit after his Senior season in November, it looks like that decision will come sooner than that. Right now Alabama is the clear favorite due in large part to the fact they are recruiting him at CB.

While Noa does not have an offer at this time, I’d expect the staff to give one to him soon after the visit. If that happens, I’d also expect a visit shortly afterwards. Noa Pola-Gates has quite a bit of family here in Texas, mostly in Austin, Fort Hood, and Corpus Christi. His family loves Texas and his mama wants him to be close to relatives.

2019 TE Brayden Liebrock

We confirmed that Coach Warehime made the trip out to Chandler, to visit the fast rising tight end. With the loss of Baylor Cupp and solitary take of Epps in 2018, Brayden Liebrock is a priority for the staff and are treating him as such. Liebrock recently visited Austin, which put Texas in a great place in this recruitment. – (Will)

The coaches are on a California Crusade this cycle. It all started with getting the commitment of the elite LB DeGabriel Floyd and has blossomed from there. Now that they have hit the road, the staff has put significant resources into making their way to check out the top talent out West. As I posted yesterday, they already hit up Arizona and had a lot of successful visits that generated a lot of excitement.

Now they’re finishing out the week in a hot bed of D1 talent and home of Texas greats like Ricky Williams and Johnnie Johnson.

2019 5-star OLB DeGabriel Floyd
Anyone who follows Texas football recruiting knows who DeGabriel is and why he is so important. He’s a heckuva player and a heckuva recruiter.
Even though he is solid to Texas, Todd Orlando made his way to Westlake in Los Angeles earlier this week to throw some more cement on the pile and make sure he’s sold.

2019 5-star ATH Bru McCoy
He may be coming to Austin tomorrow, but Todd Orlando made it a point to go make the 5-star punisher understand how much a priority he is for Texas. The staff thinks he is a world beater on the defensive side of the ball, but still recruiting him to be a WR because he has the tools to be great.

2019 5-star CB Chris Steele
Earlier this week Orlando stopped by St. John Bosco to visit the coveted CB. Texas is playing from behind here, but getting a face-to-face meeting will go a long way.

2019 4-star S Chris Adimora
Craig Naivar is stopping by Long Beach to visit a DB that is being slept on by teams in the West Coast. Texas is very high on Adimora and if they press him they could probably land him by the end of the summer.

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/04/open-post-weekend-april-27th-29th/

Reveal hidden contents

– If you follow recruiting, and I know you do, then you’ve probably heard of Bru McCoy. After all, McCoy is a five star ATH out of Santa Ana, CA (Mater Dei).

Since McCoy isn’t from this area, I wanted to get to know a little more about him. His father was gracious enough to speak with me about his son, his background, and his recruitment.

I usually end with a quick evaluation of a player but I’ll do things a little different here and begin with a few thoughts on McCoy’s film.

The size and athleticism is obvious. More on that later. But the thing you know that has the Texas staff fired up about McCoy is just how violently he does everything. Bru plays both ways. He’s a wide receiver and a rush OLB. And no matter what he’s doing, he’s doing 100% and he’s doing it with ferocity. His releases are aggressive. When he puts his foot in the dirt and turns to look for the ball, it’s violent and aggressive. When he comes off the ball, it’s aggressive. When he clubs, it’s aggressive. When he finishes off a quarterback…it’s…savage.

So, my first question to McCoy’s father, Horace, was about how ferocious his son is on the football field. It turns out, what you see on film, is written right in his name.

“Bru is a nickname. It’s short for ‘Bruiser’. We gave him that name when he was young because everything he does, he does at a hundred miles per hour. When he was little he smashed into a wall and the daycare lady said, he’s such a little bruiser. So, we chopped it to ‘Bru’”

Horace corroborated what I observed on film, “Bru plays wide receiver like a defender, like a linebacker”. His violence even shows up in 7v7. It’s always frustrating to watch the big wide receivers struggle to get off a jam. One of the reasons it happens is because of surface area. It’s easier for a DB to get his hands on a big wide receiver and if a wide receiver doesn’t know how to use his hands or doesn’t have the mentality to be physical at the line of scrimmage, they become ineffective.

Bruiser doesn’t have that problem, “Every game in seven on seven he (Bru) gets the best cornerback and he’s destroying guys that try to press him…getting off the line is a mentality. You have to have that dog mentality and I see that in him. He has that, ‘I’m going to win my battle’ mentality. Off the field he’s the nicest guy; well respected, well spoken and polite”.

Horace isn’t a casual observer of the game. He’s a former college football player himself. In fact Bru gets the athleticism from both sides of the family. Horace played football at Northern Illinois and his wife, Bru’s mother, played Volleyball at Northern Illinois.

Those genetics show up in Bru’s measurables. At the recent regional Nike Opening Bru measured in at 6’3 and over 200 lbs. At the size he ran verified 4.62 40, 4.22 shuttle and jumped nearly 40 inches!

But get this. He did all that, at that size, with a sports hernia that he recently had surgery for. Horace tells me Bru was actually in pain from the hernia but wanted to compete so badly that he pushed through it.

If you listen to Tom Herman talk about what they look for in football players, above all else he seems to be looking for attitude and effort – players who goes 100% all the time.

Recruiting and Texas

If you’re 6’3 and over 200 lbs and you can play football, it shouldn’t surprise you when you get an offer. If you’re the son of two former athletes, it should surprise you even less. Despite that, Horace McCoy was overwhelmed when Bru received his first scholarship offer. The offer came from Oregon during Bru’s freshman year, “I didn’t believe it. I told my wife I didn’t believe it. I’ll be honest, I got a little choked up because you put in all that work, you see your kid put in that work and when it comes to fruition, it’s amazing”.

Now, Bru has just about every offer you can imagine. But Texas is a school that certainly has the family’s attention. As we reported in April, Bru will take an official visit to Texas this upcoming weekend.

The plan is that Bru will take his unofficial visits in the spring and then the official visits in the fall – three officials during the season and two after the season.

But here’s where it get’s really interesting, Horace tells me that Texas will definitely be one of the official visits they take. They haven’t even stepped foot on campus but they’ve already decided they will take an official visit to Texas.

Why?

“It’s the relationship with BC (Brian Carrington). We have such a strong relationship with BC. He’s developed that rapport with myself and Bru. That’s important. With him I see that Texas builds a relationship with us. I don’t need to be recruited but I’d like to know who’s speaking to my son and what’s being said”.

In addition to the upcoming unofficial visit to Texas, the family plans to visit Oklahoma followed up by Ohio State and Michigan.

What’s Important

Horace laid out the things that are important to him and the family as they look at various schools. Being from the Midwest, originally, Horace wants his son to get a chance to feel what it’s like to see 100,000 fans cheering for a team. That isn’t something you really see on the West Coast. Being from Michigan, Horace knows how big football is in other parts of the country.

2. Academic prestige of the institution is something Horace emphasized as very important.

4. Early playing time, “Bru works hard so he wants to play early, even if it’s just special teams…”

But perhaps above all else, and perhaps the reason the relationship that BC and the staff have built with McCoy is so important is that Horace says says, “I’m looking for a coach that truly care about him (Bru) as a young man. I’ll give you a good young man and I want you to give me back a great young man”. – (Super K)

– One of the visitors that was in Austin this weekend was Dekaney (TX) CB Marcus Banks. Back in early March, following Texas’ Junior Day, Banks set a commitment date. It looked like Texas was going to be the choice. He instead pushed the decision back because he wanted to take some extra visits. He’s been to LSU, and has visited Texas A&M twice, and now Texas.

Those are the main three schools in the mix for Banks right now. He doesn’t have a firm decision date set up right now, and it sounds like it could just happen whenever he feels right. He has an official visit set for Texas on May 5th.

One thing to note about Banks’ recruitment is that his mother LOVES Texas and their staff. And you know that they say about mom getting what she wants…

– We have been told by the family of A&M DB commit Demani Richardson that Coach Naivar was up in Waxahachie visiting Demani. Interestingly, A&M was also on campus in an attempt to block any momentum Texas gathers here.

Texas is very much in this one from what we’re hearing and A&M’s no visit policy may finally bite them in the rear.

While Naivar was in Dallas, he also went to see 2019 Lewis Cine, 2019 Jalen Catalon, 2020 Darius Snow, and 2020 Chris Thompson. All four are top priorities.

2019 DB Noa Pola-Gates

The next stop in Arizona was to see 2019 Defensive Back Noa Pola-Gates out of Gilbert, AZ (suburb of Phoenix). Even though Noa has a composite of 0.902, his film clearly indictates he’s much better than that. Noa is a ridiculous athlete who just knows where the ball is going and how to get downfield to lay out a ball carrier. But don’t take my word for it. Watch his film. It’s worth it.

Oregon, Penn State, and especially Alabama have shown him a lot of love. While he was originally looking to commit after his Senior season in November, it looks like that decision will come sooner than that. Right now Alabama is the clear favorite due in large part to the fact they are recruiting him at CB.

While Noa does not have an offer at this time, I’d expect the staff to give one to him soon after the visit. If that happens, I’d also expect a visit shortly afterwards. Noa Pola-Gates has quite a bit of family here in Texas, mostly in Austin, Fort Hood, and Corpus Christi. His family loves Texas and his mama wants him to be close to relatives.

2019 TE Brayden Liebrock

We confirmed that Coach Warehime made the trip out to Chandler, to visit the fast rising tight end. With the loss of Baylor Cupp and solitary take of Epps in 2018, Brayden Liebrock is a priority for the staff and are treating him as such. Liebrock recently visited Austin, which put Texas in a great place in this recruitment. – (Will)

The coaches are on a California Crusade this cycle. It all started with getting the commitment of the elite LB DeGabriel Floyd and has blossomed from there. Now that they have hit the road, the staff has put significant resources into making their way to check out the top talent out West. As I posted yesterday, they already hit up Arizona and had a lot of successful visits that generated a lot of excitement.

Now they’re finishing out the week in a hot bed of D1 talent and home of Texas greats like Ricky Williams and Johnnie Johnson.

Anyone who follows Texas football recruiting knows who DeGabriel is and why he is so important. He’s a heckuva player and a heckuva recruiter.
Even though he is solid to Texas, Todd Orlando made his way to Westlake in Los Angeles earlier this week to throw some more cement on the pile and make sure he’s sold.

He may be coming to Austin tomorrow, but Todd Orlando made it a point to go make the 5-star punisher understand how much a priority he is for Texas. The staff thinks he is a world beater on the defensive side of the ball, but still recruiting him to be a WR because he has the tools to be great.

Earlier this week Orlando stopped by St. John Bosco to visit the coveted CB. Texas is playing from behind here, but getting a face-to-face meeting will go a long way.

Craig Naivar is stopping by Long Beach to visit a DB that is being slept on by teams in the West Coast. Texas is very high on Adimora and if they press him they could probably land him by the end of the summer.

You have to think at some point Demani gets tired of the Jimbo no-visit BS and decommits.  

*record scratch* 

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

You have to think at some point Demani gets tired of the Jimbo no-visit BS and decommits.  

I don't really view it happening that way. I'm guessing what will happen is that Richardson will not decommit, will visit other schools, and then Jimbo does jack fucking shit and every kid in this class realizes the reality: if they're an elite talent they can do whatever the fuck they want while that stupid little hobbit sits in a corner, pulling is mirco-pud and watching his wife get hammered as every 4 and 5 star does whatever they want to her. Am I mixing my metaphors? Sure. But it's still a fairly accurate image, I believe. 

Richardson will visit, Jimbo won't pull his scholarship, and he'll be revealed toothless. Or even better, he'll pull some other mediocre kids scholarship but not Demani's and the kids will realize he's an inconsistent favorite playing motherfucker. At least, that's the best case scenario. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

Recruiting and Texas

Why?

What’s Important

2019 DB Noa Pola-Gates

2019 TE Brayden Liebrock

After reading the responses from Bru McCoy’s father, I get the impression that The University of Texas was made specifically for his son.  There may be a lot more influence for us with his parents than I thought even though they would be half the country away.  

1 minute ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

After reading the responses from Bru McCoy’s father, I get the impression that The University of Texas was made specifically for his son.  There may be a lot more influence for us with his parents than I thought even though they would be half the country away.  

We might have his QB, Bryce Young, committed by the time he decides 

29 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don't really view it happening that way. I'm guessing what will happen is that Richardson will not decommit, will visit other schools, and then Jimbo does jack fucking shit and every kid in this class realizes the reality: if they're an elite talent they can do whatever the fuck they want while that stupid little hobbit sits in a corner, pulling is mirco-pud and watching his wife get hammered as every 4 and 5 star does whatever they want to her. Am I mixing my metaphors? Sure. But it's still a fairly accurate image, I believe. 

Richardson will visit, Jimbo won'y pull his scholarship, and he'll be revealed toothless. Or even better, he'll pull some other mediocre kids scholarship but not Demani's and the kids will realize he's an inconsistent favorite playing motherfucker. At least, that's the best case scenario. 

The issue becomes, does Richardson wait too long with Texas? Say they get Adimora and Catalon before the summer ends. They aren't taking 3 S's in this class, maybe they then can project Richardson to LB, but they have Gbenga, Floyd, and are looking good with McCoy and the JUCO.

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The issue becomes, does Richardson wait too long with Texas? Say they get Adimora and Catalon before the summer ends. They aren't taking 3 S's in this class, maybe they then can project Richardson to LB, but they have Gbenga, Floyd, and are looking good with McCoy and the JUCO.

Do you think Richardson is still committed to aggy by the end of the summer?  Lewis Cine is still an option as well.

Also, say we get Makiya Toungue.  Is he a LB or Safety?  Maybe the Jason Hall position?

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

2 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Bru McCoy would be allsome.  I'm pretty stoked on our LB prospects: Floyd (committed), Rian Davis, Makiya Tongue, David Gbenda, Lakia Henry (?)

Yep.  I think Rian Davis may be more of an edge rusher type guy.  Either way, he's a bad mofo that I hope we land.

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Do you think Richardson is still committed to aggy by the end of the summer?  Lewis Cine is still an option as well.

Also, say we get Makiya Toungue.  Is he a LB or Safety?  Maybe the Jason Hall position?

Apparently we're letting Tongue have a shot at WR first since that's what he wants to do. Not that it means he'll be one long term.

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

You take Richardson even if you already have two safeties and several linebackers committed 

1 hour ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

That's my initial response as well. However, I think everybody has learned their roles and lines for the recruiting process. A parent can hardly say, "I don't give a good damn about academics. My boy is going to be a pro, and I want to see him get top dollar for that! I can raise my boy to be a good man; I can't get him an NFL contract."

I'm sure many of the parents who state high hopes for an education and character development are sincere. Sadly, there is little way to tell the sincere from the disingenuous.

I love the read about McCoy and hope he gets what his father says he wants for him. I hope he does so at Texas.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

That's my initial response as well. However, I think everybody has learned their roles and lines for the recruiting process. A parent can hardly say, "I don't give a good damn about academics. My boy is going to be a pro, and I want to see him get top dollar for that! I can raise my boy to be a good man; I can't get him an NFL contract."

I'm sure many of the parents who state high hopes for an education and character development are sincere. Sadly, there is little way to tell the sincere from the disingenuous.

I love the read about McCoy and hope he gets what his father says he wants for him. I hope he does so at Texas.

On the other hand, his parents were both collegiate athletes that did not make it beyond the collegiate level, so maybe they actually get the education is important part?

• Like 1

I am loving this CA recruiting thing. It's unfathomable that we haven't been doing this better for decades. We've been letting OU get too many blue chippers way too easily for too long. We're not going to bat an extremely high percentage, but if we even hit on 2-3 prospects per year (and we might do better than that this year), it's completely worth it. The state of Texas has a ton of talent but it's thin at certain positions every year and because of that, our roster has had weak spots for forever, since previous staffs didn't supplement enough with OOS talent. 

Got dam Tom, you need to win some fucking football games this year, because you certainly understand how to run a program like Texas.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I am loving this CA recruiting thing. It's unfathomable that we haven't been doing this better for decades. We've been letting OU get too many blue chippers way too easily for too long. We're not going to bat an extremely high percentage, but if we even hit on 2-3 prospects per year (and we might do better than that this year), it's completely worth it. The state of Texas has a ton of talent but it's thin at certain positions every year and because of that, our roster has had weak spots for forever, since previous staffs didn't supplement enough with OOS talent. 

Got dam Tom, you need to win some fucking football games this year, because you certainly understand how to run a program like Texas.

IDGAF if Tom gets his recruits from Rwanda as long as they're ballers that come to win at Texas! Hook 'Em World Wide Horns!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I am loving this CA recruiting thing.

Same here.  Texas doesn't need to rely on out of state talent, but should to be able to recruit beyond our borders to supplement a position that might be light on in-state talent, to land a stud here and there, and to demonstrate that you're a player in the college football landscape. 

Even John Mackovic was able to pluck a few studs from California (e.g. Bryant Westbrook, Ricky Williams).   

IT

STATE OF RECRUITING: QB

For too long ago the quarterback room in Austin has been barren. In a matter of five years, UT has gone from David Ash, Case McCoy, Tyrone Swoopes, and Jerrod Heard, to the new crop. Since then, Shane Buechele and Sam Ehlinger injected talent and asserted the floor at a position that desperately needed it. In January, UT welcomed Cameron Rising and Casey Thompson to the mix. In just over 16 months, Tom Herman and his staff have fortified the most important room in Moncrief.

Now that the position looks to be on solid-to-steady ground, Texas isn't done.

Next up is Port Neches-Groves' 4-star Roschon Johnson, who committed before he ever took a junior snap, will be on campus. In seemingly every way, Johnson and Texas is a perfect marriage. He’s a scheme fit with high football character. He may not be the most vocal leader, but he is indeed a leader.

"We've got a great group of guys right now that's committed - Me, T'Vondre, Jordan, and DeGabriel," said Johnson. "As of right now, we're just waiting on the guys to make their decision. We've shown everybody everything, and it's their decision at this point. I've been on Jake Smith and a few of the o-linemen - Tyler Johnson, Javonne Shepherd - just being around them, staying in contact with them."

As for the Orange-White scrimmage and future of the Texas offense, Johnson gave his thoughts.

"I feel like Texas has a lot of weapons they could really utilize this season, like you saw in the spring game, they like to spread the ball around and get the ball to different people. A major factor in my decision was Herman's offense. I mean he does a tremendous job with dual-threats. (UT's) offense is a perfect fit for me, so it was really a no-brainer as far as scheme and fit."

Port Neches-Groves' head coach Brandon Faircloth offered an honest assessment and tons of praise for his star player.

"No one works harder than (Roschon) does," said Faircloth. "He's on our field every morning at 5:45am. Yesterday when I left here at 5:00pm, he was out here throwing to his receivers. It’s easy to progress when you work as hard as he does. He's a great player, a hard worker, but also a great student. He's got a 4.0 GPA. He makes us all really good coaches."

Johnson is far from a finished product. Coach Faircloth says Roschon is taking all the steps to become a better quarterback.

"The way we judge improvement in the offseason is in the weight room," Faircloth explained. "He's had a great offseason. Mechanically, he's better. He has a stronger arm. He's more accurate. All that stuff comes from the weight room. As your body continues to mature and improve, you get stronger, and he's also got faster, which I don't know how that's possible. He's improved in every area, but he's such a hard worker, he makes sure he's getting better."

What are his greatest strengths? Weakness?

"First, with his strengths, is his decision-making, protecting the football, and an understanding of where and when to throw the ball, and when not to," said Faircloth. "Last year he accounted for 65 touchdowns. He threw 35 scores, with only five INTs. He puts the ball in the end zone. As for weakness, Roschon would tell you he needs to work on everything. That's the type of kid he is. For quarterbacks in general, accuracy and footwork can always been improved on, and that's what we're doing everyday with him."

One of the biggest factors for Johnson was his fit in Tom Herman's offense. Coach Faircloth has that covered.

"(PNG) run very similar offense," Faircloth said. "Before coach Herman took the UH job, our staff went to Ohio State to better learn what they were doing. So it really worked out well for us and Roschon when Herman took the Texas job. We run some of the same plays, with similar terminology. We run almost every scheme that Texas runs, so there's not much Roschon doesn't already do that he'll be doing in Austin. We're also similar to what coach Hand ran at Auburn, which I think helps Roschon even more since they'll put a little Auburn mix on it."

The staff at Port Neches-Groves makes no secret about being fans of Tom Herman.

"I've been a fan of coach Herman for a really long time," said Faircloth. "When he was the OC at Ohio State, some Texas HS coaches from PNG flew up to Columbus, and we didn't know what to expect. Coach Herman brought us in and helped us with everything we asked. There's no bigger fans of coach Herman than myself. Our defensive staff has been to Austin twice, our offensive staff has been there twice. He's a hard worker that's great for HS coaches."

Johnson is set to enroll early at Texas. He wants to get a jump on the offense, speed of the college game, and doesn't like the idea of arriving next summer when he can get an early start on the life of a collegiate student-athlete in Austin.

Texas is hosting a handful prospects this weekend, with two of them being official visits. The Grayson (GA) duo of Kenyatta Watson II and Owen Pappoe will arrive in Austin late tonight. KW2 and Texas look outstanding at this point. His announcement date is May 1st. The 5-star LB, Pappoe, who recorded the highest SPARQ score in history, will get the red carpet treatment. UT is trailing Auburn and Georgia here, but shoot your shot, Herman.

One big unofficial visitor is 5-star ATH Bru McCoy, from Mater Dei, the same high school in California as Bryce Young. The 6-foot-4, 220-pound elite prospect holds offers from virtually everyone in the country, but the UT staff, including Bryan Carrington have done a tremendous job in convincing McCoy and his family that they need to see Austin, TX. Next weekend will be much bigger, from a recruiting standpoint. We'll have more on that in Monday's Scoop.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

There are so many DBs and LBs in the picture that I don't even know who to hope come to Austin.  Instead of more clarity, the room is getting a lot more crowded.  I do want Watson and Catalon to commit soon,  but after that...  I think it would be fabulous for McCoy, Tongue and Whittington to all be here and just let them ball out and let nature take its course, position-wise.  As far as McCoy, if he winds up here on the defensive side, every time he lays out an offensive opponent they should just say, "They shoot horses, don't they?"

2 hours ago, TexMexBuddha said:

On the other hand, his parents were both collegiate athletes that did not make it beyond the collegiate level, so maybe they actually get the education is important part?

It's actually not on the other hand. I don't claim to know about the sincerity of these people and allow that many are sincere. Thanks for the info on this recruit's parents. I hope he/they get everything they're looking for.