Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

K. Watson and Floyd are the classic examples of us creating our own luck - preparation meeting opportunity. We had good "ins" with both recruits because they had circumstances  outside our control that turned them off from the top in-state schools. However, we built off that by building the relationships, giving them a hell of a sell, and (probably) sealing the deal.

As annoying as the some of the setbacks in-state have been this cycle, I'm really enjoying how this coaching staff is going about recruiting nationally, and it's only going to get more fun if we win a good number of games this fall.

Aw, EJNO already got his Horns Down in. It's cute that OU piggybacks on our hand sign. Also the Louisiana kids are doing Ls and LAs and the Mississippi kids are doing Ms.

Poor Brian Williams, that Gig 'em will just never look cool.

Edited by texifornia

Just now, Machinator said:

K. Watson and Floyd are the classic examples of us creating our own luck - preparation meeting opportunity. We had good "ins" with both recruits because they had circumstances  outside our control that turned them off from the top in-state schools. However, we built off that by building the relationships, giving them a hell of a sell, and (probably) sealing the deal.

As annoying as the some of the setbacks in-state have been this cycle, I'm really enjoying how this coaching staff is going about recruiting nationally, and it's only going to get more fun if we win a good number of games this fall.

I remember us landing Pouncey only because of a mailer sent to the wrong school that he enthusiastically responded to - Strong's staff had no clue to that point he was a lifelong UT fan. He gets the full press from the jump with this staff, I guarantee it.

On 3/28/2018 at 11:25 AM, Longhorn94 said:

I wouldn't expect a decision from Wilson until the summer.

On 4/4/2018 at 9:08 AM, Longhorn94 said:

Wilson is going to Texas. 

On 4/13/2018 at 2:31 PM, Longhorn94 said:

Wilson is going to Texas.

Smith is a slot. Wilson is an inside/outside guy but not a slot / hybrid like Smith. Smith is much more explosive, sudden, and faster than Wilson. Wilson is much smoother, polished,  and has the best timing and ability to go get a ball from any high school receiver i have seen. 

I will be remembering this when you make your Hudson Card prognostications next cycle.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

he was 12 when he moved to Texas. Not being able to sway a kid who spent his teen years here is concerning. he basically had seen all Texas/Austin had to offer and still chose to go somewhere else.

and there is this quote from him

"“They were close,” Wilson said of Texas. “I’m not going to lie, the official visit made me think about them a little more. In the end, I’ve watched a lot of people go to Texas with a ton of ability and maybe not achieve what I thought they could. I didn’t want to be one of those guys.”

2 minutes ago, naija said:

he was 12 when he moved to Texas. Not being able to sway a kid who spent his teen years here is concerning. he basically had seen all Texas/Austin had to offer and still chose to go somewhere else.

"“They were close,” Wilson said of Texas. “I’m not going to lie, the official visit made me think about them a little more. In the end, I’ve watched a lot of people go to Texas with a ton of ability and maybe not achieve what I thought they could. I didn’t want to be one of those guys.”

He makes a good point...

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

At some point we have to sell something on offense that's more than promises and hope.

This shit right here. If anything, him living in ATX worked out to be a negative for us because he's watched us squander so much talent up close.

We win, and obviously that all turns around.

Edited by texifornia

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

who is a coach that will keep us from missing out on these guys?  I wonder if our boosters would buy out herman’s contract if we could land david shaw.  or maybe dabo.  something has to change. 

I wonder what Uncle Red's handle is on this website.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

who is a coach that will keep us from missing out on these guys?  I wonder if our boosters would buy out herman’s contract if we could land david shaw.  or maybe dabo.  something has to change. 

Wow. That is some next level hand-wringing right there, even for you.

2 minutes ago, naija said:

CDC gets his morning coffee and sees this quote when he reads the AAS.

He sees a list on his desk. Strangely it’s in sharpie. It has a couple different people’s handwriting on it.

BOBBY KENNEDY. DARRELL WYATT. LES KOENNING. JAY NORVELL. CHARLIE WILLIAMS.

“Hmm,” The AD says aloud. He grabs a pencil, and pokes his forehead with it. 

“Always have a plan,” he says.

In pencil, DREW MEHRINGER is added

• Haha 1

He sticks to tOSU regardless of how we do.  He has that Ohio connection that will be difficult to turn around  and it's true,  we have not developed like we should have in the last 8 years.  It wasn't an irrational split decision coming off a post visit high.  It sucks but these shitty things will happen until we show otherwise. 

7 minutes ago, naija said:

Herman is going to have to nut up and start calling plays, we can't afford another year of Beck.

He chose to go home. Don’t let the door hit him on the way to Columbus. He used Texas to become a better football player and is going back to Ohio. Funny, he won’t win shit because they never have a QB worth a damn. Tater ain’t that guy. The one coach they had that was the main reason for their last championship is the head coach of the school he insulted and jilted.   Oh well. We just need to win and this isn’t an issue. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Harvdog said:

He chose to go home. Don’t let the door hit him on the way to Columbus. He used Texas to become a better football player and is going back to Ohio. Funny, he won’t win shit because they never have a QB worth a damn. Tater ain’t that guy. The one coach they had that was the main reason for their last championship is the head coach of the school he insulted and jilted.   Oh well. We just need to win and this isn’t an issue. 

Haskins is good. And they're probably getting Gunnell.

Losing Wilson sucks, not gonna spread fake news by stating otherwise.

However, Big 12 offensive production is due to the systems and coaching, not 1 player in particular, unless it's at QB and they fit the system. Between Rising, Thompson, Johnson and the 2 guys on campus I believe we will eventually have that QB sooner than later.

Getting the right offense in place sooner than later (which will also bring winning) is the thing that matters most importantly, not trying to belittle if we don't end up signing Wilson.

21 minutes ago, naija said:

JT Barrett says Hi!

7 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

"He used Texas to become a better football player and is going back to Ohio."

Jesus dude, it's not like his family moving around was his choice. It's not a value judgement on him, and I hope he rubs Harbaugh's face in the dirt for however many more seasons that lunatic lasts in Ann Arbor.

10 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

This reads like a comment from gigem247 or texags.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

there has to be a reason he hasnt been offered yet. He's made no secret that a Texas offer would get a commitment. 

11 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Let’s hope soon and that it’s not too late. 

If what Herman says about committable offers is true, and this guy loves Texas as much as people say he does, then perhaps it's the case of Herman not wanting to give up on guys like Jake Smith and Wilson until there's no chance of flipping them.

Edited by Machinator

12 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

there has to be a reason he hasnt been offered yet. He's made no secret that a Texas offer would get a commitment. 

EJ says we've slipped in his recruitment since we've waited so long to offer

Not trying to add salt to the wound here but yeah

Good news is May should be a very good month. Watson, Watson, Nana, Johnson at least. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

EJ says we've slipped in his recruitment since we've waited so long to offer

Balancing offer time is tough. And Jake Smith, by many accounts, is just way better than Ellis.

If "We Are Texas" and we have faith in this season, we have to wait for Smith. And honestly, I hope the staff has faith, it'd be real sad if they didn't.

Just now, texifornia said:

Balancing offer time is tough. And Jake Smith, by many accounts, is just way better than Ellis.

If "We Are Texas" and we have faith in this season, we have to wait for Smith. And honestly, I hope the staff has faith, it'd be real sad if they didn't.

I agree. I 'm very glad that I don't have Herman's job.

Trust the slow play and OKG approach. Can't praise it when it works and crucify Herman when it doesn't.

Smith seems to be a battle between us and USC. That's the kind of thing that usually puts us in a hole with CA and AZ, but this year seems to be a little different there. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

True or it could turn into the Tommy Bush situation from last year. I’m sure missing on Wilson and maybe Higgins will spur some action though

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

True or it could turn into the Tommy Bush situation from last year. I’m sure missing on Wilson and maybe Higgins will spur some action though

Bush was an "it's late, we have an extra spot, let's try and grab an athletic lottery ticket", not a priority target. We've got more time than that.