Texas recruiting notes 2019

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

They feel like UT did not develop Garrett Gilbert the way they should have and then left Gilbert hanging out to dry. They also don't believe the previous Texas coaches paid enough respect to the LT players, namely QB. If Texas had simply taken the LT QB from Gilbert forward, Texas would have had: GIlbert, Brewer, Mayfield, DeLira, Brewer, Baldwin, and now Card. The only one that wasnt an upgrade to who Texas took is DeLira.  The current Texas staff is changing that and are building a strong relationship with LT.

LT's seems like a somewhat reasonable position. Hard to know about how GG was developed or not. Fact is, he showed some moxie in trying to mount a comeback against Alabama in his first big moment of playing time. Then he was shite. But so was the coaching staff. I could well imagine he was not given the guidance and instruction he needed. And I could also see LT's point of view on subsequent recruits. UT has ignored the LT QB Factory at its own peril. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nowhichski said:

UT has ignored the LT QB Factory at its own peril. 

In all fairness, it's not like Texas has been the only major program to overlook Lake Travis QBs.  Michael Brewer landed at Tech and I don't recall other schools beating down his door.  Charlie Brewer went to Baylor after previously committing to SMU.  And we all know that even Oklahoma didn't want Baker Mayfield initially, and Tech just took him as a walk on. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nope said:

Lol, that graphic is not the kind of thing you want Herman to see if you’re Meyer. This is a guy fueled by grudges. If we somehow end up playing them in a bowl game in the next few years, it might get ugly enough to send Urbs back into retirement.

Urban is a petty, pompous, prick who is probably even more fueled by grudges than Herman.  It's quite obvious that he has a burr up his ass for Herman, after his press conference last year when he called him out. I think he his taking these head to heads personal and pulling out all the stops.  He obviously doesn't mind getting in the mud.  Hopefully Herman has realized that his "mentor" is stomping on his throat.

Your not going to win them all in recruiting but it is becoming very irritating losing the elite guys from Texas to this asshat. Stoops needs to share his bag-o-dicks with Urbs.

i don't get too excited about the highly ranked WRs. too many turn out to be pretty average. how hard is it to dominate one on one against your average 5'8 155 lb high school defensive back? but this Jake Smith kid excites me. something different about him. he has another gear.

IT

By: Justin Wells

April showers bring May commitments. Texas hosted some of the top talent in the nation last weekend, and have an even bigger contingent headed to the ATX this weekend. Notes, quotes, a grad transfer RB, and the latest on UT's Class of 2019 in the Scoop.

APRIL SHOWERS BRING MAY COMMITMENTS 

Texas has taken a bad beat over the last two weeks.

Anyone brave enough to read the Prospects Thread probably noticed. But like our favorite pit-master continues to preach, "If Texas wins, the rest will take care of itself." That's not an opinion, that's a fact. Let's discuss last weekend's visitors and who is headed to the ATX this weekend.

April 27th-29th:

The Grayson (GA) duo of Kenyatta Watson II and Owen Pappoe took their official visits to Austin last weekend. Joining them for unofficials were Westlake Village (CA) LB, Texas commit DeGabriel Floyd and Mater Dei (CA) 5-star ATH Bru McCoy.

Let's start with the Georgia guys. KW2 and his family have been to Austin so much, it's starting to look like home. Watson will announce his decision tomorrow. As for the last few months, we feel good about UT's chances here.

"AWESOME," was the way the Watsons described the visit. "(Kenyatta Jr.) is excited to get this over with," said his father, Kenyatta Sr., about his upcoming announcement.

What stood out about the Horns and staff during his official?

"Just how genuine the staff is and (UT's) plan for him to be strictly at corner," Watson Sr. said. "(Kenyatta Jr.) really wants to play CB, and thinks he might play early."

As for his 5-star LB teammate, Pappoe, he was blown away, just like the Watsons told him he would be. From the facilities, campus, academic tour, and overall family atmosphere, Owen loved it. But was it enough to sway him away from Auburn (cough cough) or Georgia? I can see him making a pledge really soon, and Texas and coach Orlando chipping away at him. Don't be shocked when he shows back up on campus in the fall.

What about those Cali boys? Floyd is turning into a top-notch recruiter, joining McCoy on his trip was pure genius. Both think very highly of each other. Like Pappoe, McCoy left with the idea of playing at Texas as a real possibility. His parents were also impressed. They told a source that Texas was a special place, that they'd feel comfortable with their son in Austin.

But what position for Bru? McCoy has visions of playing offense, but the more advice he gets, the more defense is probably his calling card. Playing Mac beside Floyd at B-Backer or Rover is just ridiculously attractive. I'd be willing to bet McCoy takes an official visit to Texas this fall.

With only a few top prospects on campus last weekend, Texas made the most of it. Now, this weekend....

May 4th-6th: 

This is the weekend Texas fans have been waiting for. There will be a handful of OVs, plus a few unofficials should be expected.

NaNa Osafo-Mensah, LB/DE - FW Nolan Catholic: The 4-star from Fort Worth put on a show at Sunday's Opening Regional in Dallas to the tune of LB MVP and an invite to the Opening Finals in late June. He actually looks a little leaner than he did at Under Armour last month. His first step and use of hands baffled the offensive linemen all day. His decision date remains May 19th, the day of his spring game. We'll be there if that tells you anything.

Tyler Johnson, OT - Conroe Oak Ridge: One of the top OL in-state, and nationally, will be taking his OV this weekend. He's already been on campus a couple of times this spring and each time was better than the last. Texas leads here and I'm not sure who is second.

Makiya Tongue, WR/DB - University Lab (LA): The multi-talented athlete excels on both sides, but Texas likes him at WR. And safety. And linebacker. Point being, they'll take him and figure it out later. Tongue likes Texas a lot. This weekend should only confirm that.

Marcus Banks, CB - Spring DeKaney: The state's top cover corner just had his OV to Texas A&M and really enjoyed himself. But he'll be back in Austin, again, for the third time in two months with his mother. How good is Banks? Ohio State went by to see him this morning. It's a Texas-LSU-A&M battle today. I still like UT's chances. CB coach Jason Washington is killing it here.

Derek Stingley Jr., Dunham School (Baton Rouge, LA): The former teammate of Texas signee Mike Williams, Stingley Jr might be the best corner in the nation. At 6-foot-0, 175, the 5-star broke off a 4.3 (40) at The Opening Regional in Dallas on Sunday. LSU leads here, but Texas and Stingley have quietly built a nice relationship. It's a long shot, but not as unlikely as some others.

Brayden Liebrock, TE - Chandler (AZ): At 6-foot-5, 220, you watch his film and wonder how he's only a 3-star. Then you see his offer list - Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, and USC - and wonder even more. He's the ideal tight end in that he can block inline or flex out for a mismatch. He's seen Austin already, and now he wants to come back. This is a good development.

Bryce Young, QB - Mater Dei (CA): As I mentioned on Friday, the nation’s top dual-threat QB will be back in Austin this Sunday, after a Saturday stop in Norman. Texas and Young make a lot of sense. 

ON THE ROAD AGAIN

Texas will hit the recruiting trail again this week, starting with Drew Mehringer heading to Cedar Ridge to see the 6-foot-0, 180-pound four-star and Baylor pledge Jaylen Ellis. Post-GW has the Horns looking for love in all the other places. Ellis, Dylan Wright (West Mesquite), Jake Smith (Arizona), TQ Jackson (Jefferson), and Makiya Tongue (University Lab) are priorities now.

Speaking of wide receiver targets, Trinity Catholic (St. Louis, MO) WR Marcus Washington is on the radar. The 6-foot-2, 195-pounder holds almost 40 offers including Alabama, OU, Ohio State, Georgia, and Florida State among others. The 4-star from Missouri was invited to the Opening Finals recently and has the tape to back it up. Watch this one. 

Texas is also scheduled to see Cuero's ATH, UT commit Jordan Whittington and Port Neches-Groves' duo Roschon Johnson (Texas pledge) and 2020 OL Jaylen Garth. UT OC Tim Beck and OL coach Herb Hand will hit Port Neches.

I'll have more on where the staff goes later in the week.

GRAD TRANSFER NOTE

Former California Golden Bear RB Tre Watson, who visited UT for the spring game, took in the sights and sounds of Baton Rouge last weekend. He left impressed. The same sentiment he had after stops in Austin and Lubbock. As of today, UT and LSU feel confident where they stand with Watson.

Texas offers instant carries in a backfield full of youth outside of Kyle Porter. LSU offers instant carries after losing Leonard Fournette and Derris Guice in consecutive seasons. Texas offers stability at QB, LSU has no clue who will be its QB. Texas offers a revamped offensive line, LSU offers a pretty salty o-line with newcomers already carving out a role, like Badara Traore. Texas offers Austin, LSU has the swamps.

Watson is ready to make his decision. He's had the full-court press from Stan Drayton and new OL addition, Calvin Anderson. Again, both schools feel fairly confident. This one is just about to wrap up.

Edited by Machinator

3 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

They feel like UT did not develop Garrett Gilbert the way they should have and then left Gilbert hanging out to dry. They also don't believe the previous Texas coaches paid enough respect to the LT players, namely QB. If Texas had simply taken the LT QB from Gilbert forward, Texas would have had: GIlbert, Brewer, Mayfield, DeLira, Brewer, Baldwin, and now Card. The only one that wasnt an upgrade to who Texas took is DeLira.  The current Texas staff is changing that and are building a strong relationship with LT.

Are high school football coaches the most butthurt group of people on the fucking planet? Especially holding a grudge against an entire program rather than the individual coaches that made the decisions that they don't agree with and hurting the current coach that had nothing to do with it?

Jesus fucksticks, high school coaches seem like bigger bitches than most women.

Texas offers instant carries in a backfield full of youth outside of Kyle Porter. LSU offers instant carries after losing Leonard Fournette and Derris Guice in consecutive seasons. Texas offers stability at QB, LSU has no clue who will be its QB. Texas offers a revamped offensive line, LSU offers a pretty salty o-line with newcomers already carving out a role, like Badara Traore. Texas offers Austin, LSU has the swamps.

sam?

tenor.gif?itemid=5316041

3 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

LSU 247 article on Watson from Shea Dixon

Hide contents

LSU hosted key RB target, Tre Watson this weekend.  The 5’10, 190-pounder from Corona opted to transfer in January after he suffered a season-ending injury in the second game last fall. The grad transfer from Cal told me last week he couldn't wait to make it out to Baton Rouge and take in all that campus has to offer, especially Death Valley and the local talent.   He also said he expects to leave with pockets that are much heavier than when he arrived. 

Watson said the highlight of his trip was getting to sit down with Coach O in his office before he headed back to California.  While he couldn't make out every word Coach O said, he was able to parse out the words, "tin debt," "dun bungled da rooster," and "dun diddle un diddle un diddle uh da."  Watson told me over text he thinks this meant there's a lot of opportunity for him to come in and start immediately because Coach O couldn't find his depth chart for the last two recruiting periods, which resulted in terrible mismanagement of what should be a consistently loaded roster.  Watson said he loved the opportunity to play early and he couldn't believe Coach O was able to create a such huge opportunity for a RB at LSU in just two short years. I followed up later on the "dun diddle un diddle un diddle uh da" part and Watson informed me that he believes Coach O was singing the song "I would walk 500 miles" to show how hard they're recruiting Watson.

That late Sunday visit, combined with former UT standout RB coach and current LSU RB coach, Tommie Robinson's assurance that Coach O has no input on scheme or play calling and that he merely sits in his office playing Connect Four against himself without ever winning during game prep sessions really sealed the deal for Watson.

I would expect a commitment any day now after the visit.  Since Watson is such a  sure thing at this point, I decided to plug Watson into the ©  247 Sports Class Calculator™. While Watson doesn't have an actual ranking, I would put him in the low to mid 5 star range. If you go back and add the nation's #19 player, one-time LSU commit Caden Sterns, to LSU's class, it goes from a seemingly-impossible-to-attain-at-LSU 15th in the nation all the way up to 264.44, which would jump LSU 3 spots all the way up to a still unbelievably disappointing 12th place. 

Now who's whoring for points?

UTlaw be like:

giphy.gif

"So I know the last guy you took from us was one of the biggest busts in your program's history, but not only are we are going to take no responsibility for that, we're going to actively hold it against you when you aren't eager to come back to the well."

Fucking high school coaches, man.

• Like 3

LT under Dicus and LT under Chad were two completely different environments for UT and the fact that the butthurt started a year after Chad took over at LT, welll ... add in that Texas under Strong was a fucking disaster at communicating with high school coaches...   Occam's Razor that shit. 

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Your own assessment of what happened with Wilson seems to indicate otherwise

I think it takes time. Herman will keep pursuing Wilson until the end. Wilson's biggest concern re player development is legitimate but can be negated with evidence of development and improvement on the field. Im not holding my breath but if LT and Texas have great seasons running the same offense and Card commits to Texas, then I think there may be a chance...

2 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

You can only imagine the full press on your mom last night.

2 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Word is she took in the entire staff on her in-home visit.

2 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Wouldn't be the first time she's taken the entire staff...

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Her commitment was hardly silent. 

Your mom had sex with a lot of people.

2 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I think it takes time. Herman will keep pursuing Wilson until the end. Wilson's biggest concern re player development is legitimate but can be negated with evidence of development and improvement on the field. Im not holding my breath but if LT and Texas have great seasons running the same offense and Card commits to Texas, then I think there may be a chance...

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Just passing along what I've been hearing, but it sounds like UT really cooled off on Wilson and he basically didn't have an offer by the time he committed to OSU. Herman is big on Texas guys who love Texas (and good kids who graduate) and Wilson didn't really check off those boxes. Look for UT to start looking at some higher character Texas kids in the Brock Fitzhenry mold now that they have moved on from Wilson. 

I'm sure you are right....

13 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Just passing along what I've been hearing, but it sounds like UT really cooled off on Wilson and he basically didn't have an offer by the time he committed to OSU. Herman is big on Texas guys who love Texas (and good kids who graduate) and Wilson didn't really check off those boxes. Look for UT to start looking at some higher character Texas kids in the Brock Fitzhenry mold now that they have moved on from Wilson. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

On 4/26/2018 at 7:13 AM, Fud said:

Once again, Brainiacs spills info that wasn't supposed to be public. It probably didn't matter much here, but this recruitment would have been much easier for our staff if it had been on the down low. I get that someone from Richardson's side is giving this info, but Brainiaics continuously posting "Demani will visit at some point" only makes A&M defend their turf harder. 

On 4/26/2018 at 8:01 AM, Machinator said:

@OnAComputer, what say you?

1. What makes you think that we're only getting info from Richardson's side

2. The info they were supposed to keep quiet was that Texas was visiting Demani? Well I guess we shouldn't let A&M know by putting it up on our board, even though they were there too.

3. What makes you think we don't go through the proper channels before we release something?

Sometimes we get stuff that the others can't post because we have different sources that they don't and they have different source we don't. Sometimes it depends on who gives it to you and how comfortable they are with sharing it. Then you have to wondering how will this affect everything and make sure it doesn't destroy a recruitment in some way.

In this case, we went through multiple channels, knew Texas A&M and Texas would be there, knew that A&M and Texas knew each other would be there, and made sure that this info could be released (even though we really don't have to).

Also if Texas A&M is getting scoops from our board, then we need to be paid more and Jimbo shouldn't be making $75 million.

Edited by OnAComputer
  • Like 7

37 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Let OSU have the Dobbins', we'll take the Brett Robins.

• Like 2