Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

4 minutes ago, I Plead Da Fif said:

What’s up with his ordering of logos. Most of them have it alphabetical. This one starts out that way. Next to Tenn and Utah #wefucked

It's mostly alphabetical, just in a funky left-side-then-right-side order and the guy mixed up Auburn and Arizona State

2 hours ago, XOVERX said:

Ain't it the truth, lol?

Except ... Except the first play on the HUDL where Jake Smith runs off left guard for a 99 yard TD.

Just sick.

Seriously. We get this guy, and a large part of our offensive problems are solved. Jordan Shipley gave us an automatic 5 yards similar to a game changing running back with a shitty oline. I think the McCaffrey and Harvin comparisons are within reason, but the guy has what it takes irregardless of competition level, and anyone can see that in his tape. I think some WRs are attracted to UT, because they see Rising and the kind of ball he throws and they envision receiving TD passes from him in games that matter.

Edited by I Plead Da Fif
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, I Plead Da Fif said:

What’s up with his ordering of logos. Most of them have it alphabetical. This one starts out that way. Next to Tenn and Utah #wefucked

Middle row right is a ancient summarian mystical codex based on virality and nachos. Very powerful. He is so Texas. 

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Someone send this video to all recruits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atWAzMe1F1c&t=17s

decent video but I still don’t see how austin can compete with northgate, the dixie chicken, and the surrounding topography of bryan/college station.  we’re behind the 8-ball on this.  

• Like 1

There was this linebacker that we signed back when Mack first got here...I can't remember his name anymore...but this dude's film was off the chart.  We would go to the Longhorn Club's Luncheons on Thursdays (maybe Wednesdays) and Mack was the speaker that week after signing day and showed all of the recruit's videos and talked about each.  This dude was a fucking animal.  He wouldn't just beat the handoff in the backfield, but he would pick up and body slam the ball carrier or the Qb...who ever stil had the ball.  The people in this room where aghast....who is this fucking person and how soon can he play here.

I can't remember his name and I am sure that he never played a down here, but this Jake Smith's film reminds me of that. 

I think his name was Robert Johnson or something like that. 

2 minutes ago, TtomTerrific said:

There was this linebacker that we signed back when Mack first got here...I can't remember his name anymore...but this dude's film was off the chart.  We would go to the Longhorn Club's Luncheons on Thursdays (maybe Wednesdays) and Mack was the speaker that week after signing day and showed all of the recruit's videos and talked about each.  This dude was a fucking animal.  He wouldn't just beat the handoff in the backfield, but he would pick up and body slam the ball carrier or the Qb...who ever stil had the ball.  The people in this room where aghast....who is this fucking person and how soon can he play here.

I can't remember his name and I am sure that he never played a down here, but this Jake Smith's film reminds me of that. 

I think his name was Robert Johnson or something like that. 

I believe it was Mike Williams or Michael Williams, something like that. If it’s the same guy I’m thinking of, yes indeed, the film was absurd. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ConfettiRain said:

I believe it was Mike Williams or Michael Williams, something like that. If it’s the same guy I’m thinking of, yes indeed, the film was absurd. 

yeah mike williams from Lindale.  he disappeared.  some say he never really existed.  

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

He couldn't keep his grades straight, as I recall.

I think this is correct.  He shows up on the 2002 and 2003 riosters but not 2004.  Then there is a record of a guy by same name and age at Texas College who played arena league   Because the Internet is unassailable truth.  

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

One of the great moments of my life as a fan growing up was watching Buddy Ryan punch Kevin Gilbride on the sidelines of a prime time Oilers game... I always fantasized about climbing over the railing and doing that to Mack Brown during the Stanford game in Palo Alto. Or just smashing his teeth in

FIFY

• Like 1

6 hours ago, I Plead Da Fif said:

Seriously. We get this guy, and a large part of our offensive problems are solved. Jordan Shipley gave us an automatic 5 yards similar to a game changing running back with a shitty oline. I think the McCaffrey and Harvin comparisons are within reason, but the guy has what it takes irregardless of competition level, and anyone can see that in his tape. I think some WRs are attracted to UT, because they see Rising and the kind of ball he throws and they envision receiving TD passes from him in games that matter.

I agree with you. Completely.

Smith told Liebrock (sp?) Liebrock was "going to love his Texas visit", just before Liebrock visited, then verballed Longhorn. So we're close on Smith, who officially visits USC this month, then officials to Texas the last weekend of May, I think it is. Smith claims he will announce shortly thereafter. Apparently, we won't wait long.

By all appearances, Smith looks suspiciously like a game changer to these eyes, personally reminding me of a bigger Tony Dorsett (after that absurd 99 yard TD run - not many guys can boast of a 99 TD run at any level, lol).

I better hang up now before I become the butt of mama jokes, lol. But if Smith goes Texas, I will happily take some surly hits for dear old mom. Smith is just outrageous.

Edited by XOVERX
I'm stupid.

3 minutes ago, XOVERX said:

I agree with you. Completely.

Smith told Liebeck (sp?) Liebeck was "going to love his Texas visit", just before Liebeck visited, then verballed Longhorn. So we're close on Smith, who officially visits USC this month, then officials to Texas the last weekend of May, I think it is. Smith claims he will announce shortly thereafter. Apparently, we won't wait long.

By all appearances, Smith looks suspiciously like a game changer to these eyes, personally reminding me of a bigger Tony Dorsett (after that absurd 99 yard TD run - not many guys can boast of a 99 TD run at any level, lol).

I better hang up now before I become the butt of mama jokes, lol. But if Smith goes Texas, I will happily take some surly hits for dear old mom. Smith is just outrageous.

The USC people are saying that his whole OV weekend will be about showing him LA can be a "college town" since he grew up loving them but likes the ATX vibe. It's not a Nana-style religion sell. We can win this.

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The USC people are saying that his whole OV weekend will be about showing him LA can be a "college town" since he grew up loving them but likes the ATX vibe. It's not a Nana-style religion sell. We can win this.

It's not going to happen, just like UH will never feel like a college town.  There's almost 4 million people in Los Angeles, they can't change that no matter how hard they try.  When you go to USC, you play in a city that has 10 professional sports teams, there's no way to "college town" that.  I'd like to see that sell in the second most populous city and home of the Lakers, Dodgers, Rams, Angels, Chargers.........they even have two hockey teams.  USC is loved in LA, there's no doubt - but it will never be a college town.

8 minutes ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

It's not going to happen, just like UH will never feel like a college town.  There's almost 4 million people in Los Angeles, they can't change that no matter how hard they try.  When you go to USC, you play in a city that has 10 professional sports teams, there's no way to "college town" that.  I'd like to see that sell in the second most populous city and home of the Lakers, Dodgers, Rams, Angels, Chargers.........they even have two hockey teams.  USC is loved in LA, there's no doubt - but it will never be a college town.

And let's not forget the two soccer teams (for anyone who watches soccer. Me.)

Jake Smith's comments, as current as I could find:

"When I was [at Texas] for the spring game, everything about the city, program and football tradition stood out to me. I really loved it there."

"I’m trying to have fun with my teammates since it’s the last time we’ll be able to play together at this level, so that plays a small role in the timing for me," Smith said. "I know my commitment will definitely be some time in June."

Also this from the AZ article:

"Smith ... is the nation's No. 104 overall prospect and No. 18 receiver in the 2019 class, per the 247Sports Composite."

I find it difficult to accept that there's 103 guys in America more startling than Jake Smith, lol. Not buying it.