Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

3 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

giphy.gif

Between this and all the surly posters expressing their hatred for Will, I did not realize the can of worms I was opening.

Of course you did. If you truly did not, well you might not have a good grasp of reality.

5 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

giphy.gif

Between this and all the surly posters expressing their hatred for Will, I did not realize the can of worms I was opening.

Wasn’t trying to throw shade. I like his content and feel for the guy, while also finding humor in what has transpired.

Edited by I Plead Da Fif

10 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Hamm doesn't know shit but please let Turner take another 2-3 guys, hopefully at least 1 more in that 2020 class. (Septs would be ideal - I'd rather Jaylen Garth stay on the board for now). Who the fuck are they going to "recruit over" Sheperd? I'm guessing he means they'd try to get commits from Trainor and Medley? That would be fantastic. 

We'll get Garth if we want him 

6 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

giphy.gif

Jeez y’all. I’m not infallible. Y’all can make fun of me and rib me for fucking up. I don’t expect everybody to like me and I don’t expect myself to be perfect.

It’s just like how I outed myself over on shaggy. Humble pie. Thanks for the criticism. I’ll learn from it and move on.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Of course you did. If you truly did not, well you might not have a good grasp of reality.

I just didn't give the possibility any thought at the time,  because you know,  I post on the surl and therefore I'm an asshole. Or is the other way around? Kind of a chicken or the egg thing.

2 minutes ago, I Plead Da Fif said:

Wasn’t trying to throw shade. I like his content and feel for the guy, while also finding humor in what has transpired.

Nah. You weren't. 

32 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Baizergate 2018 rolls on

EJ Holland is a fucking douche and he doesn't know shit about the game. On top of that, he's a sycophant to the street agents and the players they pimp. He's a gutless bitch who hides behind mod status and can't hold his own for shit when it comes to taking and owning a position that isn't fed to him by someone else. 

I don't like the sock bullshit or the immature way Baizer played things here with his sock, but he's fucking light years ahead of EJ Holland in terms of knowledge, contribution, gumption, and approach. 

• Like 3

Joe Cook: Catching up with Hudson Card and Peter Mpagi

Texas' lone 2020 commit, Hudson Card, made the short trip to Austin yesterday to camp with his future school. In addition, a defensive lineman who has seen his stock soar in the last month worked out for the Longhorn coaches. Both talked about their camp experience.

HUDSON CARD

Prior to today, Texas’ 2020 quarterback commit Hudson Card’s football interaction with offensive coordinator Tim Beck was simply throwing in front of him. For his first return to campus since committing, Card was able to receive instruction from Beck.

“It was awesome going out there with the guys and being able to get taught by Coach Beck,” Card said. “It was awesome, and I had a good time.”

Card comes from a school and system known for its high quality quarterback play. However, that doesn’t mean there are things he can work on before his time on the 40 Acres begins.

“Little tips that he sees that can improve me, which is always good,” Card said he learned from Beck. “I can get a head start by the time I enroll. It’s all good. Just somethings that he saw that I can improve on.”

The modern recruiting climate puts a lot of pressure on kids. Not only are dozens of coaches trying to get your attention, but family, friends, and media take interest in what your future college plans might be.

For Card, committing to the school he has always been a fan of was a no-brainer. Now, he can focus on becoming the best football player for Lake Travis he can be.

“It’s definitely a big load of my shoulders,” Card said. “I can kind of just relax now and just enjoy the next couple years of high school. Just knowing where I’m going to college, it’s a big relief.”

Card said he has no plans to visit other schools following his commitment.

PETER MPAGI 

With one commitment on the defensive line in 2019, Texas is searching for more prospects to fit into the defensive end position in Todd Orlando’s defense. One possibility camped at Texas on Tuesday in Richmond George Ranch DE Peter Mpagi.

Mpagi has seen his recruitment take off recently. He received seven Power 5 offers in May alone, including Nebraska, Baylor, and Washington. He recently visited the Huskies and gave the trip high marks.

“I loved it,” Mpagi said. “I think it’s the prettiest city I’ve seen so far. I really like all the coaches there.”

Tom Herman has referenced sharing a similar recruiting vision with the Washington Huskies. Herman spoke about how he learned from Chris Petersen a program looks for “our kind of guy.” Mpagi said he felt that while visiting Texas.

“They want us to be good people in the classroom and always stay on top of your stuff,” Mpagi said. “They have three groups called crimson, green, and gold. I feel like if I came here I would work my butt off to get to gold because that’s where you’re supposed to be, and prove to the coaches they can trust in you as a man.”

During the camp, Orlando and defensive line coach Oscar Giles worked Mpagi at defensive end. He referenced Texas pass rushers Malcolm Roach and Breckyn Hager when talking about what appealed to him about the 4i position.

Mpagi was able to continue a relationship with one assistant coach while starting a new one with the head coach at the Austin camp.

“Me and Coach Giles relationship has been for a long time,” Mpagi said. “They always text me to see how I’m doing in class. I can talk with them about anything and he’ll give me advice. Today, Coach Herman made me happy. It was the first time I’ve ever met him and he was a really cool dude. He really interacts with you when you start talking to him.”

Mpagi plans to visit Texas A&M, Northwestern, and Stanford this month. He scheduled a commitment for the end of the month, but is saving his official visits for the fall.

14 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Fantastic on so many levels but mostly the butthurt about Carrington. This info came from direct quotes from the fucking kid while on the Texas campus. Our 9.95ers don't have shit for access with Carrington and he should know that because he's the one that helped EJ and Sayles get the hookups with the 7-on-7 trainers which remain those two shitfucks only sources. 

"He also just said that if Shepherd does not show up for the aggy camp on Friday that they would probably recruit over him because they expect two to three offensive lineman to commit this week end"

there's the Hamm we know and love. Hedging it by saying that they are going to recruit over Sheperd this weekend. With 2-3 commits. 

Hamm doesn't know shit but please let Turner take another 2-3 guys, hopefully at least 1 more in that 2020 class. (Septs would be ideal - I'd rather Jaylen Garth stay on the board for now). Who the fuck are they going to "recruit over" Sheperd? I'm guessing he means they'd try to get commits from Trainor and Medley? That would be fantastic. 

It's a poorly hidden secret that they're going to get Trainor. 

33 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Moving forward - do you know who's next man up at interior OL? (I assume we'll keep recruiting Bragg til the end, but I'm not going to get my hopes up).

The dude at Waller has a ton of potential. I think there's going to be Christian Jones types every year where they recruit a guy on the OL and then offer during the fall when they like what they see. They'll have 7-8 guys they're working in that fashion, some interior and some project OT types and act upon a few. Early returns on Jones are that he's absolutely what they were hoping he could be coming in, and he's got a chance to really develop at OT. That merely reinforces their approach.

That all said, Bragg has been number 2 on my wish list behind RoJo in this class since the beginning. It fucking blows that they're possibly going to miss on him, no matter who they're keeping warm in the bullpen.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

Jeez y’all. I’m not infallible. Y’all can make fun of me and rib me for fucking up. I don’t expect everybody to like me and I don’t expect myself to be perfect.

It’s just like how I outed myself over on shaggy. Humble pie. Thanks for the criticism. I’ll learn from it and move on.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We don't "learn from it" around here. We dig in our heels and loudly argue our poorly-informed positions with hyperbole and vitriol. You should already know this. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I'm interested to see if they do anything regarding this guy:

https://247sports.com/Player/Gabriel-Hall-46053041

He's listed a poorly ranked DT. He's probably a RT or OG and might become a really good one. TCU and Baylor are both hoping to sandbag him, but Texas is aware of him and watching his development. He's listed at 6'5". He's not 6'5".

1 hour ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Yeah that’s not how things work around here. One piece of news we run with as fast as Derka runs to get his one free beer at a happy hour.

I like this Bragg kid. I don’t like this latest update.

Not for us here, but for the kid himself

22 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

UTL's comb-through of 35dimes' history was hilarious.  So too is the fact that you called EJ a douche, and he reads the board anonymously so frequently that he tweeted about it immediately after the call-out.  UTL is also right that you appear to be a good dude, and the Surl is definitely better for having you around.

And this post, owning up to your (generally hilarious) posts as 35dimes, is the kind of "apology" I can appreciate.

Good on you, man.

Edited by Katfid54
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm interested to see if they do anything regarding this guy:

https://247sports.com/Player/Gabriel-Hall-46053041

He's listed a poorly ranked DT. He's probably a RT or OG and might become a really good one. TCU and Baylor are both hoping to sandbag him, but Texas is aware of him and watching his development. He's listed at 6'5". He's not 6'5".

I was wondering about the Newton C/OG as well. KSU is going after him pretty hard now, doesn't have the same issue that some of the other Newton kids do. (*ahem*) I think it's more likely we'd just go after a jumbo athlete at this point, but if KSU is in on an OL I usually give them the benefit of the doubt. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Caiden-Walker-46055344

So, after the potentially unpleasant surprise with Bragg, it might do us well to keep stock of all the major competitors in our priority recruitments. I'm going to assume all of our currently committed prospects are solid, and will ignore Leal, NaNa, Richardson, and Wilson.

Cain - LSU, Ohio State (?), OU (?)
Shepherd - A&M, Bama, Georgia (?)
Bragg - Stanford
Wilkins - OU, Arkansas
Dylan Wright - A&M, Arkansas (?)
Higgins - Stanford, Ohio State (?)
Jermaine Johnson - Georgia
Marcus Hicks - OU, Michigan
Zach Williams - Arkansas, OU (?)
Jacoby Jones (not sure how "priority" he is) - ???
Rian Davis - Georgia
Gbenda (not sure how "priority" he is) - A&M
Bru McCoy - USC
Makiya Tongue - Clemson (?), LSU if they offer (?)
Cine - Penn State
Catalon - Clemson (?), Oklahoma (?), Arkansas (?) (honestly seems like we're pretty far ahead in this one)
Stingley - LSU, Florida (?)
Adimora - Boise State, Oregon (?), Alabama (??) (if he's the silent, not sure if this matters)
Noa Pola-Gates - USC (?), Bama (?)
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, texifornia said:

More: He also just said that if Shepherd does not show up for the aggy camp on Friday that they would probably recruit over him because they expect two to three offensive lineman to commit this week end...lol

Holy shit, that is some burnt small ribs cooking right there. Shepherd is an aggy silent, but if he no shows, he's losing his spot.

2 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

Ej has some update on oline recruiting 

9.95er clickbait ... 

— I spoke to a source close to the recruitment of four-star Camden Fairview (AR) Stacey Wilkins. He told me that Texas definitely still has a chance here, especially if the Longhorns knock it out of the park on his official visit in September. The source said that a key person in Wilkins’ recruitment is very pro OU and that the Sooners still have the edge for him at this time. However, Herb Hand and UT staffer Jake Langi, who has sold his Polynesian ties, are doing a good job making this a close battle.

— Yesterday, we reported that those around the Texas program were feeling better about four-star offensive lineman Branson Bragg. And while that may be true, I am told that Stanford feels just as good, so this one appears to be more of a 50-50 race than originally thought. I’m also told that those around Bragg are also split on the two schools. Bragg should get word on his Stanford acceptance soon and after that, it’s going to be a tough battle. I’m going to try to visit Bragg next week to get more clarity directly from him.

— Texas has not given up on four-star Allen offensive lineman EJ Ndoma-Ogar. While he is committed to Oklahoma, Ndoma-Ogar still plans to make official visits, and Texas is in line to receive one in the fall. With this said, the Longhorns still have a lot of work to do here. Ndoma-Ogar wants to build a better relationship with Hand and right now, his commitment to the Sooners is pretty firm. He will be a tough flip.

— Lastly, there are a lot of questions regarding the timeline of four-star Houston North Forest offensive lineman Javonne Shepherd. Initially, he wanted to wait until after the season. However, I feel like a decision could come sooner than that. As of right now, he is still scheduled to visit Texas A&M. But as I reported last night, I have reason to believe Texas hit a homerun and is comfortably in the pole position. Landing him and Tyler Johnson would give UT the two best tackles in the state (I see Kenyon Green as more of a guard). 

7 minutes ago, golfclap said:

9.95er clickbait ... 

Reveal hidden contents

— I spoke to a source close to the recruitment of four-star Camden Fairview (AR) Stacey Wilkins. He told me that Texas definitely still has a chance here, especially if the Longhorns knock it out of the park on his official visit in September. The source said that a key person in Wilkins’ recruitment is very pro OU and that the Sooners still have the edge for him at this time. However, Herb Hand and UT staffer Jake Langi, who has sold his Polynesian ties, are doing a good job making this a close battle.

— Yesterday, we reported that those around the Texas program were feeling better about four-star offensive lineman Branson Bragg. And while that may be true, I am told that Stanford feels just as good, so this one appears to be more of a 50-50 race than originally thought. I’m also told that those around Bragg are also split on the two schools. Bragg should get word on his Stanford acceptance soon and after that, it’s going to be a tough battle. I’m going to try to visit Bragg next week to get more clarity directly from him.

— Texas has not given up on four-star Allen offensive lineman EJ Ndoma-Ogar. While he is committed to Oklahoma, Ndoma-Ogar still plans to make official visits, and Texas is in line to receive one in the fall. With this said, the Longhorns still have a lot of work to do here. Ndoma-Ogar wants to build a better relationship with Hand and right now, his commitment to the Sooners is pretty firm. He will be a tough flip.

— Lastly, there are a lot of questions regarding the timeline of four-star Houston North Forest offensive lineman Javonne Shepherd. Initially, he wanted to wait until after the season. However, I feel like a decision could come sooner than that. As of right now, he is still scheduled to visit Texas A&M. But as I reported last night, I have reason to believe Texas hit a homerun and is comfortably in the pole position. Landing him and Tyler Johnson would give UT the two best tackles in the state (I see Kenyon Green as more of a guard). 

So to summarize on Bragg:

Wells is saying if he's accepted to Stanford it's over.

EJ is saying it's more 50-50. He's split. Folks around him split. Gunna be a tough battle if he's accepted. 

8 minutes ago, Richter said:

I just assume that 75% of the posters on this thread are 9.95er socks.

Some of us are also allegedy the scion GM of the 76ers. 

Also now I'm suspicious Kate is one of those who post many of the Kate gifs here. 

All socks welcome.

**except aggy or #OUsucks

Edited by Chopper

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

It will be epic, until Saturday's game against Tenn Tech.

But it would be epic. The only way that it could happen is through money whipping. And I don't think we would stand idly by.

13 minutes ago, Texashorn19 said:

Why does it seem that this cycle we lead for a major in-state target and then the next day he commits to another school?

Outside of Leal, I can't really think of anyone else who just committed out of the blue to another school. We thought we were in good position with Williams and Richardson going into this cycle, but it wasn't like either was lock, especially considering our 2018 DB haul, when they committed to aggy. There are guys who have seemed to be leaning in our direction but now are seemingly leaning elsewhere, but that is par for the course in recruiting.