Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

IT Inside Scoop

Reveal hidden contents

POST-TULSA, PRE-USC RECRUITING 

Despite a closer-than-expected win over Tulsa, the pre-game festivities and crowd were huge selling points for the prospects in attendance last Saturday. Many remarked on the atmosphere at DKR and the vibe from the players and coaching staff.

On Landon Jackson... the high 4*/low 5* defensive end from Pleasant Grove came away with a smile last weekend. After picking up a Texas offer, he was more than happy. "It was so good, I really liked it," said Jackson, the 6-foot-5, 235-pounder. "They ended up offering me, which was really cool. I got to talk to all the coaches, especially coach Warehime and coach Giles. I also hung out with a few players, like Kris Boyd. It was a great experience."

Jackson, who is still probably an A&M lean, is becoming more open minded to the Longhorns. With him being a sophomore, it's still really early, but the basis of the relationship has been established. He'd like to return to another game this season, and perhaps attend the Texas-OU game in Dallas.

On Kelvontay Dixon.... Keaontay Ingram's little brother absolutely loved his time on the 40 Acres. He's becoming a regular, which is very positive. The 6-foot WR/CB with speed in spades got to catch up with players and coach Mehringer and coach Warehime before they went out for the game. "The visit was a lot of fun," Dixon said. "We usually have a great time though. It's like family here. I got to hangout with my brother too." That is like family.

Within the family there's a debate who is the fastest in the house. Kelvontay says it's him. "I'm faster than him," Dixon said with a smile. "He knows it too. Just proud of how well he played. He is the best running back on the campus." Of note; Dixon will return to the 40 Acres next weekend too as the Horns host USC. But first, they have a Friday night tilt with Marshall HS.

On J.J. Sparkman.... the 2020 tall drink of water (6-foot-5) from Pine Tree HS (Longview) couldn't wait to get back to Austin. He visited back in February for the Junior Day Weekend and was eager to return. Texas is high on this sleeper, who might not be so under-the-radar the more you see this season. "It was a great experience," Sparkman said. "I had an amazing time and got a lot of love from the coaches and players. I had a long talk with coach Warehime and coach Mehringer, as well as Kris Boyd and Josh Thompson." With early offers from Iowa State, Arkansas, and Texas Tech, there are more schools calling everyday. TCU, LSU, and OU are pushing.

On Donavon Johnson.... the 6-foot-4 junior tight end from Plano John Paul II is a name to stash away. Johnson has lots of upside and talent he put on display in a Friday night blowout of Bullard Brook Hill. "Texas uses its tight ends almost like John Paul uses me," said Johnson. "I get to line up outside some, but for the most part it was some of the same routes I run. It was fun for my first college game. I met Coach Carrington, he is really cool. The facilities are better than the Google photos I’ve seen. Overall, seeing freshmen play is encouraging because they play who they think can help win no matter the year. A win is a win and Tulsa has scholarship players too so on to next week. I’ll be back." Another level-headed 17-year old. I really like those.

That USC visitor list though.... It was large last week and now sources tell me it might get bigger. The official visitors will be RB Derrian Brown (Buford, GA), WR Marcus Washington (Trinity Catholic - St. Louis, MO), and ATH Bru McCoy (Mater Dei - CA).

The unofficial list is a Who's Who of state and national prospects. We'll have the full list later this week, but here's a taste. Of note; Jalen Catalon is a maybe. The kid is still down after losing his entire senior year and getting around on crutches isn't fun. Texas should give him a jet pack. I'll stay in touch with him for more.

Texas commits:

CB Marques Caldwell

WR Jake Smith

QB Hudson Card

TE Brayden Liebrock

OL Tyler Johnson

CB Kenyatta Watson II

LB De'Gabriel Floyd

2019:

WR Elijah Higgins

WR Jaylen Ellis

S Lewis Cine

S Tyler Owens

2020:

OL Justin Rogers, Oak Park (MI). The 5-star offensive guard holds almost 40 offers. Big-time getting him on campus.

RB Zach Evans

DE Prince Dorbah

CB Dwight McGlothern

S Darius Snow

APB Mookie Cooper

CB Jaylon Jones

ATH Mikey Henderson

Each of those 2020's have an offer, each is a stud. We'll go more in-depth later this week. But if Texas puts on a show on Saturday, the momentum could start swinging back towards the Horns. Given how the team has performed that's a big if, but it's desperately needed.

So does Evans actually show? Or does he have "ride problems" 

2 hours ago, futureman said:

that’s juicy.  how about some more on that

TEAM 

Let's start on the injury front. Keaontay Ingram sustained a knee injury in the 3rd quarter vs Tulsa. He's questionable for USC and there's the real chance he won't be cleared to play. Brace yourselves for bad news while hoping for the best.

Brandon Jones, who suffered a high ankle sprain vs Maryland, is probable this week. Whether he plays is dependent on how well he moves around in practice. Barring a setback, we think he'll play.

Zach Shackelford will miss the USC game. Look for Texas to start the same 0-line it did versus Tulsa.

There have been some good questions asked and if we haven't answered them it's not because we don't want to. Some of those questions are impossible to answer, and trust us, we're wondering the same things. When mental aspects are involved it's really hard to dissect the issue. The collective mental evaluation of the program is not high right now and I don't think anybody knows why. What Herman says publicly about over-thinking and not letting it go is a widely held belief behind the scenes. I think that's evident to fans, but how you fix that I don't know.

There is a lot of unrest and frustration in program after the win over Tulsa. Tom Herman likes to say winning is hard and they're going to celebrate wins regardless of who they are over. Nobody wanted to celebrate that one. The team went back to work on Sunday, again working on the little things. Last week the team knew it needed to tackle better and that aspect was given priority. We saw improvement in that regard.

I asked about the lack of pressure on the quarterback. That is something the staff was working on yesterday. It was told to me they aren't blitzing enough to make life easier on the Breckyn Hager and Charles Omenihu. I asked where the four-man fronts were? "A lot of people are wondering that." Lining Hager and Omenihu up wide would make getting to the quarterback much easier.

Texas has three defenders who are not in the position they will be looked at for the NFL. Malcolm Roach is one of them, "they need to put him at defensive end and leave him there." That would put Jeff McCulloch on the field at B-backer. He has more range and is also a good pass rusher. I asked for any other personnel decisions that could be made to improve the team. "Anthony Cook should be playing ahead of Kobe Boyce. Josh Thompson at nickel should be permanent. They can't do it now, but Shane Buechele should be given some game time."

While there is unrest in the team there is angst in the fan base. By and large the fan base feels a sense of relief that Chris Del Conte is in charge. After talking to multiple big donors I get the sense they feel the same. The new Athletic Director is a fund-raising machine, and USC is a primary opportunity to take advantage and continue passing the hat. While everyone is frustrated with football, it's commonly believed that Del Conte has the AD heading in the right direction. That's making fund raising much more easier.

Along with re-organizing the AD, Del Conte has reduced its size by 8% across the board. I heard recently some donations for a certain project were actually refunded. I could not believe my ears. I'll find out more details on that but it's clear things are functioning in an efficient manner. Del Conte has a really good pulse of what's going on behind the scenes. Fans are right to feel comforted by his steady hand on the helm.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

So does Evans actually show? Or does he have "ride problems" 

This may be beyond your ability to understand but many of these 16-17 year old kids don't have cars, many of them have parents that work  and can't always stop their lives to drive 350 miles for a game. Sometimes they do have rides but they fall apart. This is crap that many not you specifically have been posting for years. Students can't get to the drum for a game because its too far but we expect these kids to always show for games. There is plenty of other things to whine about.

2 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

This may be beyond your ability to understand but many of these 16-17 year old kids don't have cars, many of them have parents that work  and can't always stop their lives to drive 350 miles for a game. Sometimes they do have rides but they fall apart. This is crap that many not you specifically have been posting for years. Students can't get to the drum for a game because its too far but we expect these kids to always show for games. There is plenty of other things to whine about.

Well sometimes you get Damion Miller telling Hamm he had "ride problems" for every aggy game for a full year. That was hilarious.

• Like 1

E.J. Holland: How Texas commits performed this week

The high school football season is in full swing, and that means Texas commits are putting up big performances for their respective teams. The Longhorns currently have 15 commits this cycle — four-star Conroe Oak Ridge offensive lineman Tyler Johnson, four-star Houston North Forest offensive lineman Javonne Shepherd, four-star Millwood (Okla.) wide receiver Demariyon Houston, four-star Cuero athlete Jordan Whittington, four-star Westlake (Calif.) outside linebacker De’Gabriel Floyd, four-star Grayson (GA) defensive back Kenyatta Watson II, four-star Notre Dame Prep (AZ) wide receiver Jake Smith, four-star Mayfair (Calif.) defensive back Chris Adimora, four-star Chandler (AZ) tight end Brayden Liebrock, four-star Port Neches-Groves quarterback Roschon Johnson, three-star Orlando Jones (Fla.) outside linebacker Marcus Tillman Jr., three-star Temple tight end Jared Wiley, three-star Alvin cornerback Marques Caldwell and three-star George Ranch defensive end Peter Mpagi and three-star Huntsville defensive end T’Vondre Sweat.

Texas is ranked No. 10 in the country in the 247Sports Composite team recruiting rankings. Texas sits behind Oklahoma in the Big 12 team recruiting rankings. However, the Sooners have more commits. With Texas still having troubles on the field, it is important to look ahead to the future of the program. Here is a full breakdown of how UT verbal pledges performed this week.

QB ROSCHON JOHNSON, PORT NECHES-GROVES

Johnson completed 17-of-32 passes for 191 yards and one touchdown. A dynamic playmaker with his legs, Johnson also rushed for 55 yards in a 31-14 loss to Huntsville over the weekend. Johnson exited the game early with an apparent ankle injury. How long Johnson will be out of action is still up in the air. Port Neches-Groves takes on Tomball on Saturday. At 6-foot-1, 192 pounds, Johnson is ranked as the No. 4 dual-threat quarterback and No. 215 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

QB HUDSON CARD, LAKE TRAVIS (2020)

Card had another successful outing in his second start for national powerhouse Lake Travis. The four-star prospect completed 11-of-17 passes for 88 yards and a touchdown and rushed for nine yards and another score as he guided Lake Travis, a state finalist a year ago, to a 14-0 victory over Mansfield Summit. The game was called in the second quarter due to weather. At 6-foot-2, 167 pounds, Card is ranked as the No. 3 dual-threat quarterback and No. 96 overall recruit in the country in the 2020 class, per 247Sports Composite. 

WR JAKE SMITH, NOTRE DAME PREP (AZ)

Smith has established himself as one of the most dominant high school players in the country as he has put up video game numbers through the first couple of weeks of the season. Despite battling an injury this week, the four-star prospect still logged two receptions for 40 yards and a touchdown to go along with 27 yards and three touchdowns on the ground in Notre Dame Prep’s (AZ) 63-21 win over Apollo (AZ). At 6-foot-1, 189 pounds, Smith is ranked as the No. 17 wide receiver and No. 87 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. 

WR DEMARIYON HOUSTON, MILLWOOD (OKLA.)

Houston returned a kick 92 yards for a touchdown as Millwood (Okla.) topped Douglass (Okla.), 56-0. Millwood (Okla.) is now 2-0 and is ranked as one of the top overall teams in the state. Houston didn't do much as a receiver this week. At 6-foot, 165 pounds, Houston is ranked as the No. 27 wide receiver and No. 174 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

TE BRAYDEN LIEBROCK, CHANDLER (AZ)

Liebrock bounced back from a quiet week as he recorded six receptions for 56 yards and a touchdown in Chandler's (AZ) 35-21 victory over Faith Lutheran in the Polynesian Classic this weekend. Chandler (AZ) is ranked as the No. 23 high school football team in the country. At 6-foot-5, 220 pounds, Liebrock is ranked as the No. 7 tight end and No. 178 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

TE JARED WILEY, TEMPLE

Wiley is committed to Texas as a tight end, but the three-star prospect plays quarterback for his high school team. Wiley passed for 225 yards and four touchdowns as he led Temple to a dominant 43-14 win over Nuevo Leon (MX), which traveled in from Mexico. At 6-foot-6, 225 pounds, Wiley is ranked as the No. 37 tight end and No. 916 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. 

OL TYLER JOHNSON, CONROE OAK RIDGE

Johnson and Conroe Oak Ridge took down Alief Elsik, 60-13, over the weekend to move to 1-1 on the year. The four-star prospect and his team will look to keep the momentum going this week against The Woodlands. At 6-foot-5, 308 pounds, Johnson is ranked as the No. 8 offensive tackle and No. 36 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. Johnson is UT’s highest rated commit this cycle and picked the Longhorns over a slew of major offers.

OL JAVONNE SHEPHERD, HOUSTON NORTH FOREST

Shephed and Houston North Forest suffered a 35-0 loss to New Caney Porter over the weekend. The four-star prospect and his team will look to rebound this week against Houston Washington. At 6-foot-6, 346 pounds, Shepherd is ranked as the No. 22 offensive tackle and No. 210 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. Shepherd committed to Texas over the summer over a number of other major offers. 

DL PETER MPAGI, GEORGE RANCH

Mpagi and George Ranch notched a thrilling 27-24 double overtime victory over Clear Lake to move to 1-1 on the season. The three-star prospect and his team will look to keep the momentum going this week against Clear Springs. At 6-foot-4, 224 pounds, Mpagi is ranked as the No. 56 weak-side defensive end and No. 705 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. Mpagi committed to Texas, which he called his dream school, shortly after picking up an offer from the Longhorns this summer.

DL T'VONDRE SWEAT, HUNTSVILLE

Sweat notched several tackles and a forced fumble as Huntsville took down Port Neches-Groves and fellow Texas pledge Roschon Johnson, 31-14. At 6-foot-3, 249 pounds, Sweat is ranked as the No. 48 strong-side defensive end and No. 742 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. Sweat committed to Texas back in February and was the second member of the Longhorns’ 2019 recruiting class.

LB DE'GABRIEL FLOYD, WESTLAKE (CALIF.)

Floyd rushed for two touchdowns and led a solid defensive effort as Westlake (Calif.) topped St. Francis (Calif.), 35-21, to move to 4-0 this season. Floyd transferred to Westlake (Calif.) this offseason and is making a huge impact for his new team. At 6-foot-2, 240 pounds, Floyd is ranked as the No. 4 outside linebacker and No. 59 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. Floyd committed to Texas in March over several major offers. 

LB MARCUS TILLMAN JR., ORLANDO JONES (FLA.)

Tillman and Orlando Jones (Fla.) picked up a 40-7 win over Orlando Colonial (Fla.) over the weekend. The three-star prospect and his team will look to keep the momentum going this week against Orlando Evans (Fla.). At 6-foot-1, 220 pounds, Tillman is ranked as the No. 23 outside linebacker and No. 411 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. Tillman committed to Texas this summer, just a day after earning an offer. 

CB KENYATTA WATSON II, GRAYSON (GA)

Watson did not allow any catches and recorded six tackles as Grayson (GA) defeated Marietta (GA), 38-31. Grayson (GA) is ranked as the No. 22 high school football team in the country and will face Atlanta Westlake (GA) this week. At 6-foot-2, 187 pounds, Watson is ranked as the No. 16 cornerback and No. 167 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

CB MARQUES CALDWELL, ALVIN

Caldwell and Alvin fell to Fort Bend Kempner this week, 39-35. Alvin is currently 0-2 and will look to get on the right track this week when it faces Katy Tompkins. Caldwell is committed to Texas as a corner but is playing safety for Alvin. At 6-foot-1, 171 pounds, Caldwell is ranked as the No. 63 cornerback and No. 721 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

S CHRIS ADIMORA, MAYFAIR (CALIF.)

Adimora recorded nine tackles, but his Mayfair (Calif.) team fell to Santa Margarita (Calif.), 55-7. At 6-foot-1, 192 pounds, Adimora is ranked as the No. 14 safety and No. 187 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. Adimora committed to Texas this summer over a number of major offers. He is the Longhorns’ only safety commit in the 2019 recruiting class.

ATH JORDAN WHITTINGTON, CUERO

Cuero fell to Yoakum, 30-20, this week as it was missing perhaps its biggest weapon in Whittington. The four-star prospect is still nursing a groin injury, and there is no timetable for his return. When healthy, Whittington is one of the most dominant small-school players in the state. Whittington has the potential to play wide receiver or safety at the next level. At 6-foot-1, 198 pounds, Whittington is ranked as the No. 45 overall prospect in the nation, per 247Sports Composite.

Was watching film and came across Titus Swen from Eaton.  Currently a 3 star with offers from the SMU type schools.  This dude looks like the most physical runner I've seen in the DFW area in a while.  Brewer couldn't tackle him with 5 guys.  

Dude should get late offers and if we miss on Cain, I wouldn't be disappointed with him.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: How Texas commits performed this week

Hide contents

The high school football season is in full swing, and that means Texas commits are putting up big performances for their respective teams. The Longhorns currently have 15 commits this cycle — four-star Conroe Oak Ridge offensive lineman Tyler Johnson, four-star Houston North Forest offensive lineman Javonne Shepherd, four-star Millwood (Okla.) wide receiver Demariyon Houston, four-star Cuero athlete Jordan Whittington, four-star Westlake (Calif.) outside linebacker De’Gabriel Floyd, four-star Grayson (GA) defensive back Kenyatta Watson II, four-star Notre Dame Prep (AZ) wide receiver Jake Smith, four-star Mayfair (Calif.) defensive back Chris Adimora, four-star Chandler (AZ) tight end Brayden Liebrock, four-star Port Neches-Groves quarterback Roschon Johnson, three-star Orlando Jones (Fla.) outside linebacker Marcus Tillman Jr., three-star Temple tight end Jared Wiley, three-star Alvin cornerback Marques Caldwell and three-star George Ranch defensive end Peter Mpagi and three-star Huntsville defensive end T’Vondre Sweat.

Texas is ranked No. 10 in the country in the 247Sports Composite team recruiting rankings. Texas sits behind Oklahoma in the Big 12 team recruiting rankings. However, the Sooners have more commits. With Texas still having troubles on the field, it is important to look ahead to the future of the program. Here is a full breakdown of how UT verbal pledges performed this week.

QB ROSCHON JOHNSON, PORT NECHES-GROVES

Johnson completed 17-of-32 passes for 191 yards and one touchdown. A dynamic playmaker with his legs, Johnson also rushed for 55 yards in a 31-14 loss to Huntsville over the weekend. Johnson exited the game early with an apparent ankle injury. How long Johnson will be out of action is still up in the air. Port Neches-Groves takes on Tomball on Saturday. At 6-foot-1, 192 pounds, Johnson is ranked as the No. 4 dual-threat quarterback and No. 215 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

QB HUDSON CARD, LAKE TRAVIS (2020)

Card had another successful outing in his second start for national powerhouse Lake Travis. The four-star prospect completed 11-of-17 passes for 88 yards and a touchdown and rushed for nine yards and another score as he guided Lake Travis, a state finalist a year ago, to a 14-0 victory over Mansfield Summit. The game was called in the second quarter due to weather. At 6-foot-2, 167 pounds, Card is ranked as the No. 3 dual-threat quarterback and No. 96 overall recruit in the country in the 2020 class, per 247Sports Composite. 

WR JAKE SMITH, NOTRE DAME PREP (AZ)

Smith has established himself as one of the most dominant high school players in the country as he has put up video game numbers through the first couple of weeks of the season. Despite battling an injury this week, the four-star prospect still logged two receptions for 40 yards and a touchdown to go along with 27 yards and three touchdowns on the ground in Notre Dame Prep’s (AZ) 63-21 win over Apollo (AZ). At 6-foot-1, 189 pounds, Smith is ranked as the No. 17 wide receiver and No. 87 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. 

WR DEMARIYON HOUSTON, MILLWOOD (OKLA.)

Houston returned a kick 92 yards for a touchdown as Millwood (Okla.) topped Douglass (Okla.), 56-0. Millwood (Okla.) is now 2-0 and is ranked as one of the top overall teams in the state. Houston didn't do much as a receiver this week. At 6-foot, 165 pounds, Houston is ranked as the No. 27 wide receiver and No. 174 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

TE BRAYDEN LIEBROCK, CHANDLER (AZ)

Liebrock bounced back from a quiet week as he recorded six receptions for 56 yards and a touchdown in Chandler's (AZ) 35-21 victory over Faith Lutheran in the Polynesian Classic this weekend. Chandler (AZ) is ranked as the No. 23 high school football team in the country. At 6-foot-5, 220 pounds, Liebrock is ranked as the No. 7 tight end and No. 178 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

TE JARED WILEY, TEMPLE

Wiley is committed to Texas as a tight end, but the three-star prospect plays quarterback for his high school team. Wiley passed for 225 yards and four touchdowns as he led Temple to a dominant 43-14 win over Nuevo Leon (MX), which traveled in from Mexico. At 6-foot-6, 225 pounds, Wiley is ranked as the No. 37 tight end and No. 916 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. 

OL TYLER JOHNSON, CONROE OAK RIDGE

Johnson and Conroe Oak Ridge took down Alief Elsik, 60-13, over the weekend to move to 1-1 on the year. The four-star prospect and his team will look to keep the momentum going this week against The Woodlands. At 6-foot-5, 308 pounds, Johnson is ranked as the No. 8 offensive tackle and No. 36 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. Johnson is UT’s highest rated commit this cycle and picked the Longhorns over a slew of major offers.

OL JAVONNE SHEPHERD, HOUSTON NORTH FOREST

Shephed and Houston North Forest suffered a 35-0 loss to New Caney Porter over the weekend. The four-star prospect and his team will look to rebound this week against Houston Washington. At 6-foot-6, 346 pounds, Shepherd is ranked as the No. 22 offensive tackle and No. 210 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. Shepherd committed to Texas over the summer over a number of other major offers. 

DL PETER MPAGI, GEORGE RANCH

Mpagi and George Ranch notched a thrilling 27-24 double overtime victory over Clear Lake to move to 1-1 on the season. The three-star prospect and his team will look to keep the momentum going this week against Clear Springs. At 6-foot-4, 224 pounds, Mpagi is ranked as the No. 56 weak-side defensive end and No. 705 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. Mpagi committed to Texas, which he called his dream school, shortly after picking up an offer from the Longhorns this summer.

DL T'VONDRE SWEAT, HUNTSVILLE

Sweat notched several tackles and a forced fumble as Huntsville took down Port Neches-Groves and fellow Texas pledge Roschon Johnson, 31-14. At 6-foot-3, 249 pounds, Sweat is ranked as the No. 48 strong-side defensive end and No. 742 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. Sweat committed to Texas back in February and was the second member of the Longhorns’ 2019 recruiting class.

LB DE'GABRIEL FLOYD, WESTLAKE (CALIF.)

Floyd rushed for two touchdowns and led a solid defensive effort as Westlake (Calif.) topped St. Francis (Calif.), 35-21, to move to 4-0 this season. Floyd transferred to Westlake (Calif.) this offseason and is making a huge impact for his new team. At 6-foot-2, 240 pounds, Floyd is ranked as the No. 4 outside linebacker and No. 59 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. Floyd committed to Texas in March over several major offers. 

LB MARCUS TILLMAN JR., ORLANDO JONES (FLA.)

Tillman and Orlando Jones (Fla.) picked up a 40-7 win over Orlando Colonial (Fla.) over the weekend. The three-star prospect and his team will look to keep the momentum going this week against Orlando Evans (Fla.). At 6-foot-1, 220 pounds, Tillman is ranked as the No. 23 outside linebacker and No. 411 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. Tillman committed to Texas this summer, just a day after earning an offer. 

CB KENYATTA WATSON II, GRAYSON (GA)

Watson did not allow any catches and recorded six tackles as Grayson (GA) defeated Marietta (GA), 38-31. Grayson (GA) is ranked as the No. 22 high school football team in the country and will face Atlanta Westlake (GA) this week. At 6-foot-2, 187 pounds, Watson is ranked as the No. 16 cornerback and No. 167 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

CB MARQUES CALDWELL, ALVIN

Caldwell and Alvin fell to Fort Bend Kempner this week, 39-35. Alvin is currently 0-2 and will look to get on the right track this week when it faces Katy Tompkins. Caldwell is committed to Texas as a corner but is playing safety for Alvin. At 6-foot-1, 171 pounds, Caldwell is ranked as the No. 63 cornerback and No. 721 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

S CHRIS ADIMORA, MAYFAIR (CALIF.)

Adimora recorded nine tackles, but his Mayfair (Calif.) team fell to Santa Margarita (Calif.), 55-7. At 6-foot-1, 192 pounds, Adimora is ranked as the No. 14 safety and No. 187 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. Adimora committed to Texas this summer over a number of major offers. He is the Longhorns’ only safety commit in the 2019 recruiting class.

ATH JORDAN WHITTINGTON, CUERO

Cuero fell to Yoakum, 30-20, this week as it was missing perhaps its biggest weapon in Whittington. The four-star prospect is still nursing a groin injury, and there is no timetable for his return. When healthy, Whittington is one of the most dominant small-school players in the state. Whittington has the potential to play wide receiver or safety at the next level. At 6-foot-1, 198 pounds, Whittington is ranked as the No. 45 overall prospect in the nation, per 247Sports Composite.

Yikes. Card weighs 167?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

9 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Beat it, aggy.

triggered? say whatever you want but there were people on here making fun of that list mere days ago and things didn't go exactly as expected. given the shit we've seen out of mensa the past two weeks it may actually be a good thing that the list for this weekend is short by comparison.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, fellside said:

Was watching film and came across Titus Swen from Eaton.  Currently a 3 star with offers from the SMU type schools.  This dude looks like the most physical runner I've seen in the DFW area in a while.  Brewer couldn't tackle him with 5 guys.  

Dude should get late offers and if we miss on Cain, I wouldn't be disappointed with him.

Serious question re: Titus Swen. On his HUDL page, the pinned highlight is titled "2016 Junior Year Highlights." It was uploaded on February 22, 2017. So if he was a Junior in 2016, how is he a Senior in 2018? I initially thought he was a JUCO kid, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It looks like it was just a typo - he meant Sophomore" - but I wasn't sure and wanted to see if anyone knew. I'm just a little leery of recruiting kids that are a year older than everyone else because they're more likely to be maxed out, but it looks like Swen is the age he's supposed to be.

In any case, he definitely does run nasty. In his more recent highlights, he also looks a lot bigger than the 191 pounds he has listed. I wouldn't mind seeing them circle back to him either.

35 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

Serious question re: Titus Swen. On his HUDL page, the pinned highlight is titled "2016 Junior Year Highlights." It was uploaded on February 22, 2017. So if he was a Junior in 2016, how is he a Senior in 2018? I initially thought he was a JUCO kid, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It looks like it was just a typo - he meant Sophomore" - but I wasn't sure and wanted to see if anyone knew. I'm just a little leery of recruiting kids that are a year older than everyone else because they're more likely to be maxed out, but it looks like Swen is the age he's supposed to be.

In any case, he definitely does run nasty. In his more recent highlights, he also looks a lot bigger than the 191 pounds he has listed. I wouldn't mind seeing them circle back to him either.

I'm not. I did hear from an opposing coach that he was suspended the first half of the game, so that fits the mold of a held-back kid. Could be why he's only a 3 star.

Dude is definitely bigger than junior film. Legit carried 6 defenders for 10 yards on one play.

• Like 1

We might as well recruit older kids. Idt our strategy has been paying off so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, fellside said:

I'm not. I did hear from an opposing coach that he was suspended the first half of the game, so that fits the mold of a held-back kid. Could be why he's only a 3 star.

Dude is definitely bigger than junior film. Legit carried 6 defenders for 10 yards on one play.

I think I saw that play. Awesome stuff. We could definitely use some of that here. I definitely like his enthusiasm for blowing defenders up.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

London to Garden City, Kansas must have been quite the culture shock.

How dare you speak down on garden city. They have a beautiful golf course that runs up to a cemetery on a few holes. During the Kansas junior am a kid in my group hit it in the cemetery aka OB. The rules official walking around said "that ball is dead" and drove on. At the time it wasn't funny to 15 year olds, now I have to give him points for the deadpan delivery and walk off. 

• Like 2

Fortunately, SC is also butt. This is a mid-low tier slapfight with good uniforms.
They still have a slew of the best athletes the left coast provides...and they'll be up for this game, probably more so than they were for tree. (Not to mention nobody wants to lose 2 in a row)

6 minutes ago, ousux said:
30 minutes ago, texifornia said:
Fortunately, SC is also butt. This is a mid-low tier slapfight with good uniforms.

They still have a slew of the best athletes the left coast provides...and they'll be up for this game, probably more so than they were for tree. (Not to mention nobody wants to lose 2 in a row)

We are going to curb stomp them fucks

11 minutes ago, ousux said:
36 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We'll be up too - we play up in big games and hit the snooze button against second-tier teams (including TCU and OSU here - they're obviously good but aren't big nationally hyped draws)

EJ after dark: More recruits set to visit UT this weekend

— Four-star Cuero athlete and Texas commit Jordan Whittington will be in Austin this weekend when the Longhorns take on USC. Whittington has been pretty quiet as of late as he continues to recover from injury, but that shouldn’t be taken as a bad sign. Whittington is completely solid to Texas and is excited about being back on campus.

— Texas will once again play host to three-star 2020 Carthage athlete Kelvontay Dixon this weekend. Dixon, the younger brother of UT freshman running back Keaontay Ingram, was on campus this past weekend. It’s clear that Texas is making a big impression on Dixon, and we feel the Longhorns are in a strong position to land him early on.

— We’ve already reported that four-star Mansfield Legacy defensive back Jalen Catalon plans to be on campus this weekend. But I just wanted to pass along that Texas has reached out to him and will continue to recruit him following his major injury. In fact, all of Catalon’s top schools will continue to recruit him hard. He is still maintaining a January decision timeline.

— A prospect to know is three-star 2020 Bastrop Cedar Creek defensive lineman Alfred Collins, who will make an unofficial visit to Texas this weekend. Collins holds early offers from Baylor and Texas A&M and could see UT jump in the mix down the line.

On 9/10/2018 at 7:37 PM, fellside said:

We got Porter. We are good. Smh

By and large the fan base feels a sense of relief that Chris Del Conte is in charge. After talking to multiple big donors I get the sense they feel the same. The new Athletic Director is a fund-raising machine, and USC is a primary opportunity to take advantage and continue passing the hat.

Oh, what a relief.

E.J. Holland: Why this weekend could make or break Texas on recruiting trail

The biggest recruiting weekend of the Tom Herman era is here. Texas will take on USC in a battle of two storied programs that met for a national championship a dozen years ago. The visitors list is stacked with several elite prospects, and the atmosphere in Austin is guaranteed to be electric. While this was viewed as a monster recruiting weekend in the offseason, the importance of it has grown exponentially. Texas has struggled on the field out of the gates, and recruiting rival Texas A&M has used that, and its marquee game against Clemson to build momentum.

There is no way around it. Texas needs to win this game. The ramifications of a loss — and more losses in the next few weeks — could be extremely detrimental to the 2019 class and more so the 2020 class. It’s put up or shut up time for the Longhorns. You can’t keep selling the future. That pitch can go in trashcans around the recruiting offices at Moncrief. Recruits are tired of mild progress. They want to see results. 

A win against USC would set the tone for a strong close this cycle, early momentum in 2020 and slow down what could be a dangerous storm brewing in College Station. Texas A&M gave Clemson all it could handle and walked away with a five-star recruit in 2020. It’s UT’s turn to counter and prevent another subpar year of in-state recruiting. The Longhorns are set to host 2020 targets like Prince Dorbah, Jaylon Jones, Dwight McGlothern, Bryson Washington, Darius Snow and Michael Henderson as well as national recruits Justin Rogers and Mookie Cooper.

Win and suddenly that Texas A&M-Clemson game becomes more of a memory than the hot topic of the day for underclassmen. For the 2019 class, this is a chance for Texas to gain some much-needed commitments. Four-star running back Derrian Brown and intriguing Plano East safety Tyler Owens definitely come to mind when talking potential pull the trigger candidates. It’s also an opportunity to wow key targets like Bru McCoy, Marcus Washington, Elijah Higgins and Lewis Cine and keep those like Javonne Shepherd, who is looking at A&M again, in the fold.

While things have certinaly looked bleak on the recruiting trail since the Longhorns’ black eye of a loss to Maryland in the season opener, all the negativity can be washed away this weekend. Just win, baby.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Why this weekend could make or break Texas on recruiting trail

Reveal hidden contents

The biggest recruiting weekend of the Tom Herman era is here. Texas will take on USC in a battle of two storied programs that met for a national championship a dozen years ago. The visitors list is stacked with several elite prospects, and the atmosphere in Austin is guaranteed to be electric. While this was viewed as a monster recruiting weekend in the offseason, the importance of it has grown exponentially. Texas has struggled on the field out of the gates, and recruiting rival Texas A&M has used that, and its marquee game against Clemson to build momentum.

There is no way around it. Texas needs to win this game. The ramifications of a loss — and more losses in the next few weeks — could be extremely detrimental to the 2019 class and more so the 2020 class. It’s put up or shut up time for the Longhorns. You can’t keep selling the future. That pitch can go in trashcans around the recruiting offices at Moncrief. Recruits are tired of mild progress. They want to see results. 

A win against USC would set the tone for a strong close this cycle, early momentum in 2020 and slow down what could be a dangerous storm brewing in College Station. Texas A&M gave Clemson all it could handle and walked away with a five-star recruit in 2020. It’s UT’s turn to counter and prevent another subpar year of in-state recruiting. The Longhorns are set to host 2020 targets like Prince Dorbah, Jaylon Jones, Dwight McGlothern, Bryson Washington, Darius Snow and Michael Henderson as well as national recruits Justin Rogers and Mookie Cooper.

Win and suddenly that Texas A&M-Clemson game becomes more of a memory than the hot topic of the day for underclassmen. For the 2019 class, this is a chance for Texas to gain some much-needed commitments. Four-star running back Derrian Brown and intriguing Plano East safety Tyler Owens definitely come to mind when talking potential pull the trigger candidates. It’s also an opportunity to wow key targets like Bru McCoy, Marcus Washington, Elijah Higgins and Lewis Cine and keep those like Javonne Shepherd, who is looking at A&M again, in the fold.

While things have certinaly looked bleak on the recruiting trail since the Longhorns’ black eye of a loss to Maryland in the season opener, all the negativity can be washed away this weekend. Just win, baby.

Now that's some first class reporting right there.  

I never would have thought of any of that had I not read that article.