Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Just now, Magus Ossis said:

OL: Johnson (OT), Shepherd (OT, flaky?), Hookfin (OT, silent?), JUCO Nickelson (C?, Not committed), +1 Grad/JUCO?

DL: Warren (SDE), Sweat (SDE), Mpagi (WDE), JUCO Jones (SDE, silent?), +1 Grad/JUCO?

Trenches may be well manned after all. I hope.

OL: Johnson (OT), Shepherd (OT or OG), Hookfin (OT), JUCO (not Nickelson, he has the look of a PWO candidate). If Shepherd bails, save the ship. Aggressively pursue grad transfers. Not sure what we do if we don't land a JUCO AND Shepherd bails, but I'm sure the staff has a plan.

DL: Warren, Sweat (future NT), Mpagi, Jones. Aggressively pursue grad transfers (but the need is not as urgent as OL).

E.J. Holland: How Texas commits performed in playoff action

The high school football season is in full swing, and that means Texas commits are putting up big performances for their respective teams.

The Longhorns currently have 21 commits this cycle — four-star St. Louis Trinity Catholic (MO) wide receiver Marcus Washington, four-star Odessa Permian athlete Peyton Powell, four-star Plano East safety Tyler Owens, four-star Conroe Oak Ridge offensive lineman Tyler Johnson, four-star Houston North Forest offensive lineman Javonne Shepherd, four-star Millwood (Okla.) wide receiver Demariyon Houston, four-star Cuero athlete Jordan Whittington, four-star Westlake (Calif.) outside linebacker De’Gabriel Floyd, four-star Buford (GA) running back Derrian Brown, four-star Grayson (GA) defensive back Kenyatta Watson II, four-star Katy Cinco Ranch inside linebacker David Gbenda, four-star Notre Dame Prep (AZ) wide receiver Jake Smith, four-star Mayfair (Calif.) defensive back Chris Adimora, four-star Chandler (AZ) tight end Brayden Liebrock, four-star Port Neches-Groves quarterback Roschon Johnson, three-star Many (La.) defensive lineman Myron Warren, three-star Orlando Jones (Fla.) outside linebacker Marcus Tillman Jr., three-star Temple tight end Jared Wiley, three-star Alvin cornerback Marques Caldwell and three-star George Ranch defensive end Peter Mpagi and three-star Huntsville defensive end T’Vondre Sweat.

Texas is ranked No. 7 in the country in the 247Sports Composite team recruiting rankings. Texas sits ahead of Oklahoma in the Big 12 team recruiting rankings. With Texas rebuilding under Tom Herman, it is important to look ahead to the future of the program.bHere is a full breakdown of how UT verbal pledges performed this week.

QB Roschon Johnson, Port Neches-Groves

Johnson is back and fully healthy. The four-star prospect passed for 267 yards and four touchdowns and rushed for 43 yards in Port Neches-Groves' 48-7 win over Houston Northside. At 6-foot-1, 192 pounds, Johnson is ranked as the No. 4 dual-threat quarterback and No. 215 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

QB Hudson Card, Lake Travis (2020)

Card completed 16-of-28 passes for 344 yards and four touchdowns and rushed for 55 yards and another score in a 45-14 win over Smithson Valley. At 6-foot-2, 167 pounds, Card is ranked as the No. 3 dual-threat quarterback and No. 96 overall recruit in the country in the 2020 class, per 247Sports Composite.   

RB Derrian Brown, Buford (GA)

Brown rushed for 81 yards and two touchdowns and returned a kick 83 yards for a touchdowns as Buford (GA) topped Kell (GA), 44-11. Buford is now heading to the fourth round of the Georgia state playoffs. At 5-foot-10, 179 pounds, Brown is ranked as the No. 15 running back and No. 235 overall recruit in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

WR Jake Smith, Notre Dame Prep (AZ)

Smith caught seven passes for 49 yards and two touchdowns, scored a two-point conversion and recorded the game-clinching pass breakup as Notre Dame Prep (AZ) beat Williams Field (AZ), 21-14. Notre Dame Prep is moving on to the state finals. At 6-foot-1, 189 pounds, Smith is ranked as the No. 17 wide receiver and No. 87 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.  

WR Demariyon Houston, Millwood (Okla.)

Houston caught three passes for 122 yards and two touchdowns as Millwood (Okla.) fell to Vian (Okla.), 27-26. Millwood (Okla.) has officially been eliminated from the Oklahoma state playoffs. At 6-foot, 165 pounds, Houston is ranked as the No. 27 wide receiver and No. 174 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

WR Marcus Washington, St. Louis Trinity Catholic (MO)

Washington caught one pass for five yards and recorded an interception on defense as St. Louis Trinity Catholic (MO) took down Southern Boone (MO), 27-17, in the third round of the Missouri state playoffs. At 6-foot-2, 191 pounds, Washington is ranked as the No. 32 wide receiver and No. 202 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

TE Brayden Liebrock, Chandler (AZ)

Liebrock caught 11 passes for 88 yards and two touchdowns and scored the game-winning two-point conversion as Chandler (AZ) took down Highland (AZ), 36-35, to advance to the state finals. At 6-foot-5, 220 pounds, Liebrock is ranked as the No. 7 tight end and No. 178 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

TE Jared Wiley, Temple

Wiley is committed to Texas as a tight end, but the three-star prospect plays quarterback for his high school team. Wiley passed for 325 yards and two touchdowns in Temple's 45-38 loss to Mesquite Horn. Temple has been officially eliminated from the Texas state playoffs. At 6-foot-6, 225 pounds, Wiley is ranked as the No. 37 tight end and No. 916 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.  

OL Javonne Shepherd, Houston North Forest

Houston North Forest and Shepherd fell to Splendora, 47-19, in first round of the Texas state playoffs. At 6-foot-6, 346 pounds, Shepherd is ranked as the No. 22 offensive tackle and No. 210 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. Shepherd committed to Texas over the summer over a number of other major offers.   

OL Logan Parr, San Antonio O'Connor (2020)

San Antonio O'Connor and Parr fell to San Antonio Reagan, 30-7, in the first round of the state playoffs. At 6-foot-3, 268 pounds, Parr is ranked as the No. 4 offensive guard and No. 130 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. Parr is the most recent commit in UT's 2020 class and picked the Longhorns over several major offers.

DL T'Vondre Sweat, Huntsville

Sweat and Huntsville topped Nacogdoches, 57-7, in the first round of the Texas state playoffs. At 6-foot-3, 249 pounds, Sweat is ranked as the No. 48 strong-side defensive end and No. 742 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. Sweat committed to Texas back in February and was the second member of the Longhorns’ 2019 recruiting class.

LB Marcus Tillman Jr., Orlando Jones (Fla.)

Tillman and Orlando Jones (Fla.) defeated Cardinal Gibbons (Fla.), 30-27, in the second round of the Florida state playoffs. No stats were available from the contest. At 6-foot-1, 220 pounds, Tillman is ranked as the No. 23 outside linebacker and No. 411 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. Tillman committed to Texas this summer, just a day after earning an offer.

CB Kenyatta Watson II, Grayson (GA)

Watson recorded three tackles and two pass breakups in Grayson's (GA) 37-17 win over Norcross (GA) in the second round of the Georgia state playoffs. At 6-foot-2, 187 pounds, Watson is ranked as the No. 16 cornerback and No. 167 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

S Tyler Owens, Plano East

Owens and Plano East fell to Sachse, 35-25, in the first round of the Texas state playoffs. No defensive stats were available. At 6-foot-3, 202 pounds, Owens is ranked as the No. 26 safety and No. 295 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. Owens recently committed to Texas over a handful of major offers.

ATH Jordan Whittington, Cuero

Cuero and Whittington, who is back from injury and healthy, topped Pearsall, 66-12. Whittington caught three passes for 75 yards and two touchdowns and rushed for 101 yards and another score in the victory. At 6-foot-1, 198 pounds, Whittington is ranked as the No. 45 overall prospect in the nation, per 247Sports Composite.  

ATH Peyton Powell, Odessa Permian

Powell passed for 105 yards and one touchdown in Odessa Permian's 42-0 win over El Paso Coronado in the first round of the Texas state playoffs. At 6-foot-2, 182 pounds, Powell is ranked as the No. 19 athlete and No. 351 overall prospect in the nation, per 247Sports Composite. Powell has the potential to play quarterback, wide receiver or defensive back at the next level.

4 hours ago, Tired of Lurking said:

This chart isn't even listing Roach and Ossai, who I think will be playing with their hand in the dirt more often than not. They will be an upgrade over Hager, and Graham and Bimage will be nice in Omenihu's spot.

I think our DL improves greatly. Maybe not immediately, but halfway through the season, it's gonna be filthy next year.

I think you're putting too much stock in projected starters and not evaluating depth concerns. It's not LB bad but it's not too far off. 

6 hours ago, satyanash said:

The Stampede: Scoop from huge recruiting weekend

Hide contents

— This weekend was important for several reasons, but something that stood out the most to me was the impression Texas made on key defensive line target Myron Warren. Texas was the presumed leader heading into his trip to Austin, but the Longhorns still had competition from Oregon as well as a dark cloud that was a potential LSU offer hanging over their heads. However, Warren publicly named Texas his leader after his first ever trip to Austin and set his decision date for Dec. 8. Keep in mind that Warren is officially visiting Texas on the following weekend. I would be extremely surprised if the Longhorns don’t land Warren.

— So what about that potential LSU offer? It could still happen as LSU would like to take two more defensive linemen, per Geaux247’s Shea Dixon. While Ishmael Sopsher likely taking one of those spots, there are still a lot of moving parts with the other. Unless LSU offers before Warren makes his decision, I wouldn’t be too worried. If Warren does pick Texas on Dec. 8, the Longhorns are going to press for him to sign during the early period and should have success doing so.

— Texas hosted one official visitor this weekend in JUCO defensive lineman Jacoby Jones, who backed out of his verbal pledge to Oklahoma last week. UT defensive line coach Oscar Giles worked extremely hard on Jones behind the scenes while he was still committed to OU and made a big impression this weekend. As I mentioned when he first arrived, Texas Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington picked Jones up from the airport. Carrington was also heavily involved all weekend with Jones. From everything I was able to gather, Texas hit a homerun this weekend and is in the pole position. Still, the Longhorns will have to fend off Oregon.

— Five-star 2020 North Shore running back Zachary Evans did make it to campus this weekend. Some of the worry regarding Evans throughout the fall was unwarranted as he is stoic by nature. Evans still loves Texas and had a great time on his visit. More importantly, Texas made a huge impression on Evans’ brother, CJ, who is the most important person in this recruitment other than Zach himself.

While they visited Texas more than any school this offseason, this was their first UT game, and CJ told me they had a ton of fun and that it certainly lived up to the hype. Evans got to spend a lot of time with the Texas staff and was even recruited by Texas linebacker commit De'Gabriel Floyd. Texas is still in a great position here. Nothing to worry about right now.

Another one of Texas' most important 2020 targets was on campus in four-star offensive lineman Chad Lindberg. Both Lindberg and his mother, Emily, hung out with Texas commit Logan Parr and his mother and had a blast. In fact, Emily told me that “they’re so much alike it’s scary.” They all got an opportunity to have dinner with Herb Hand, who is doing a great job in this recruitment and really impressing offensive line targets with the job he’s done with the Longhorns upfront. I feel even better about my Texas Crystal Ball pick for Lindberg after this weekend. Keep in mind that his brother is a student at UT as well. While Stanford remains a player, his family tie and the fact that Texas is closer to home and offers a great education as well, should inspire plenty of confidence here.

— Former Texas players did their best to help the Longhorns recruit this weekend. As everyone noticed on Twitter, former Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams posed for a picture with Evans, which made a big impression on him and his brother. Meanwhile, former offensive lineman Kasey Studdard, who was part of the 2005 national championship team, spent some time chatting with Lindberg. Texas continues to go the extra mile to ensure that recruits on campus have a very personalized visit experience.

— As some of y’all may have noticed, I put in a Crystal Ball for elite 2020 defensive back Chris Thompson. There was a lot of Texas A&M buzz in September when the Aggies were building momentum on the recruiting trail, but that’s kind of died down a bit, and Texas took advantage this weekend. Both Thompson and his father spent extended time with UT safeties coach Craig Naivar as well as staffer Ra’Shaad Samples. I’ve mentioned on a number of occasions that Samples is like a big brother to Thompson and that his father, Reginald, is his high school head coach. Thompson is buying into the future of the Texas program thanks to what the Longhorns have done on the field and sees an opportunity to make a big impact in UT’s scheme.

— Five-star Saguaro (AZ) cornerback Kelee Ringo arrived in Austin on Friday and didn’t leave until Sunday, which gave him an opportunity to get his first real in-depth look at the program. Ringo bonded with the Texas coaching staff and as he told me this weekend, “the experience was like no other.” The atmosphere at DKR wowed him as did the city of Austin. Texas has obviously had success recruiting the state of Arizona and will be a major player for Ringo next cycle. In fact, I would say Texas is a top three school for Ringo right now and is lock to make his top schools list, which he will release soon. Remember, Ringo’s position coach is Texas-ex Bryant Westbrook, and UT offensive coordinator Tim Beck used to be the head coach at his high school.

— Four-star 2020 Fort Bend Austin wide receiver Troy Omeire was considered a lock to Texas A&M early in the process, but that’s not the case anymore. I haven’t changed my Crystal Ball, but I do feel like the Longhorns have pulled even with the Aggies in this recruitment. Omeire visited Texas for the second time in the last month and has been extremely impressed with the way the Longhorns use their big wide receivers, specifically Lil'Jordan Humphrey. Omeire is a top target for Texas next cycle, and Tom Herman, who flew out to see him during the bye week, is personally involved in his recruitment. This one is trending positively for UT.

— Do y’all love me? Yes, Texas loves De'Gabriel Floyd, and De'Gabriel Floydloves Texas. Not all tweets are about recruiting, and there is nothing to worry about with Floyd. He loved his time on campus, spent a ton of time recruiting Ringo and Evans and is still set to sign and enroll early. Nothing to see here.

— Four-star 2020 North Shore offensive lineman Damieon George made the trip to Texas along with Evans. The two are close and would love to play with each other at the next level. Texas is in a good spot with George early on and did a nice job of selling what Hand is doing with the offensive line. George does love SEC schools like Alabama, Georgia and Texas A&M, but the Longhorns have established themselves as contenders in this recruitment.

— Five-star 2020 Trinity Christian Cedar Hill defensive back Dwight McGlothern made a surprise visit to Texas over the weekend. McGlothern actually arrived just as the game was starting, so he didn’t get to do any of the pregame activities. He did, however, spend time with Naivar after the win and was impressed with the way the Longhorns played. While Texas A&M is still considered the favorite, McGlothern has always likes Texas and has a strong relationship with the staff. McGlothern views Carrington as an older brother and talks to him regularly.

— Herman and the Texas staff are continuing to embrace trainers while maintaining great relationships with high school coaches. This weekend, the Longhorns hosted Justin Allen of All En Sports and Ro Simon and Mike West of Fast 7v7. I caught up a little bit with West, who told me they were really impressed. Both West and Simon are key figures in the recruitment of McGlothern. In case you missed it, Naivar took some snapshots with Simon after the game. I’m told Naivar really values Simon, and they have built a strong relationship. Allen works with Evans and is a key person in that recruitment. Overall, Texas does a great job of recruiting everyone involved with a prospect.

If LSU is taking 2 more DL and Sopsher is going to be one then his JUCO bro will be the other.

Also of note, Sopsher isn't announcing until NSD2, so if LSU is holding out they may not even offer Warren and risk losing Sopsher over it.

33 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

By my count, we have 2 outstanding silents, right? Myron was an unexpected one it seems. That would leave.. Jones and Hookfin?

Nah BC retweeted his shhh from yesterday after Warren committed. Think this one is Jones or Hookfin, the other hasn’t committed yet