Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

10 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I’m pretty sure OB thinks if they just put enough words on paper, it’ll cover up the fact that all their recruiting info is at least two weeks old.

I honestly find it offensive that those buffoons still feel the need to fake the recruiting part of their business. That's not why people frequent their site and they have no clue what they're doing when they discuss. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I honestly find it offensive that those buffoons still feel the need to fake the recruiting part of their business. That's not why people frequent their site and they have no clue what they're doing when they discuss. 

Yep. It’s especially annoying considering how bad Rivals national rankings are. It skews their bad info even more.

4 minutes ago, Skyline said:

TFB Weekend Post http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/04/open-post-weekend-april-13th-15th/

Hide contents

Owen Pappoe: I recently spoke with someone close to 2019 5-Star OLB, Owen Pappoe (Loganville, GA) and was told that Pappoe will take an official visit to Texas on the final weekend of April, April 27th-29th.

I’m told Pappoe plans to announce a decision sometime in early May which is, obviously, almost immediately after his visit to Texas.

There have been rumors swirling about that Pappoe’s destination will ultimately be Auburn but getting him on campus with fellow teammate, Kenyatta Watson, who will also visit that weekend, certainly can’t hurt the Horns.

Am also told that 4-star jumbo wide receiver and teammate, Kenyon Jackson plans also visit Texas along with Pappoe and Watson that same weekend. – (Super K)

– NaNa Osafo-Mensah: As Super K mentioned a few days ago, 2019 OLB/DE NaNa Osafo-Mensah would be narrowing his list significantly.

– I spoke with 2019 OLB/DE, NaNa Osafo-Mensah. He tells me that this Thursday he will be cutting his list down, significantly. Texas will make the cut.

NaNa tells me he still set to commit on May 19th. The next few weeks will be critical. He’ll be at Notre Dame this weekend.

Earlier today, he tweeted out his “Final 2”. As we have previously mentioned, we continue to feel very good about where Texas stands in his recruitment.

May 19… #HookEm #FightingIrish pic.twitter.com/L8eaUKa59p

— NaNa Osafo-Mensah (@NaNaOsafo2) April 12, 2018

NaNa will take an official visit to Notre Dame this weekend and then he will take an official visit to Texas on May 5th. He currently plans on making his commitment announcement on May 19th. You may all want to be around for that one! – (Charlie)

Last weekend Texas hosted some stellar talent including Dylan Wright, David Gbenda, Tyler Johnson and Texas commit, Jordan Whittington.

Alex has updated you on where things stand with Johnson. Will gave you a weekend recap with Gbenda.

I’ve been checking with some sources on where things are behind the scenes. This is what I’m hearing and where things are trending…

*Dylan Wright has visited a number of schools and interestingly, it was the Arkansas trip that he took a while back that he told me really rivaled Texas and Texas A&M. I spoke with a source who tells me that Wright would like to play with his fellow 7v7 teammate (True Buzz Organization), NaNa Osafo-Mensah. So, based on where I’m hearing,Texas landing Mensah would go a long way with Wright.

Trending: Texas

*With Tyler Johnson, I defer to Alex and he has a good relationship with the family. But I believe he agrees that Texas is the team to beat here and Oklahoma is going to need to really make a big impression this weekend in order to slow this one down.

*With 2019 linebacker, David Gbenda I’m hearing it’s more a matter of when and not so much if. Source said, David and his family love Texas but his recruitment began a little later than some others so he wants to enjoy the process and see more programs.

*I haven’t heard as much behind the scenes on NaNa Osafo-Mensah. This one is a really tight race but that’s a good thing for Texas because just a month or so ago Notre Dame was way out in front. From what I gather from both sources and NaNa himself, if Texas can demonstrate that they have all the advantages Notre Dame has in terms of academics, life after football, etc. then proximity to home could very well win out.

I’m going to go out on a limb here a bit and say this one is…

Trending: Texas but I’d say it’s day to day and this Notre Dame visit coming up will likely shift the trend back in Notre Dame’s direction at least until Texas gets him back on campus. – (Super K)

I'll cheer for these guys to be right about Gbenda. I heard the staff thinks it's a lot closer with ATM than the public recruitnik space thinks it is.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I'll cheer for these guys to be right about Gbenda. I heard the staff thinks it's a lot closer with ATM than the public recruitnik space thinks it is.

They might have old information, but when they’re confident they’re usually right. 

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Even after the most recent visit? Looked like he fit right in with Whittington, Johnson, Wright and Mensah on that visit.

1 minute ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Even after the most recent visit? Looked like he fit right in with Whittington, Johnson, Wright and Mensah on that visit.

While we should always take these prospect interviews with a grain of salt, one thing Gbenda told Texas sites stands out to me:

“I got to stay afterwards and catch-up with Gary Johnson, Ayodele [Adeoye], and BJ Foster… I asked them why they choose this school and what other schools recruited them… they all told me that it felt like home… I’m still waiting to get that same feeling of, ‘This is home.'” 

• Like 2

EJ after dark: Can Texas reel in Osafo-Mensah?

— Four-star Fort Worth Nolan Catholic defensive end/outside linebacker NaNa Osafo-Mensah released his top two schools today — Notre Dame and Texas. Osafo-Mensah will make an OV to Notre Dame this weekend, and I am told the family really likes the academics and Catholic presence in South Bend. However, Texas will get the final OV on May 4, and I have plenty of reason to believe the Longhorns are the team to beat. Osafo-Mensah has an amazing unofficial visit a couple of weeks about and has a strong relationship with the staff. I would be surprised if he doesn’t side with Texas on May 19.
— Four-star Conroe Oak Ridge offensive lineman Tyler Johnson will make an official visit to Oklahoma this weekend. The Sooners have been making a push for Johnson and are in the mix in his recruitment. However, we still feel good about UT’s chances of landing him and expect Johnson to be back on campus soon. In fact, Johnson is looking to make a spring official visit to Texas at some point in May.
— Four-star Allen offensive lineman EJ Ndoma-Ogar told out Mike Roach that he is a maybe to attend the Texas spring game on April 21. Ndoma-Ogar said he wants to visit UT again but might opt to check out some out-of-state schools. Ndoma-Ogar is keeping his options wide open and is remaining in constant contact with the Texas staff.
— Texas recently extended an offer to Northwest Rankin (MS) safety Jarrian Jones. So do the Longhorns have a shot here? I am told Jones is considering making a visit to Austin. But right now, his top three schools are Alabama, Mississippi State and Oklahoma.

It amazes me how so called "professional journalists" can't even be bothered to take 30 seconds to proofread their shit before hitting the send button. Hell, I do that for most forum posts ffs..

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

^above two posts are responses to Loy's comment, spoilered for length. Suffice it to say that ND fans see the writing on the wall.

Both if those responses indicate that they believe there are numerous other factors in play where Nd has an advantage. I wonder what they think they are, other than maybe job opportunities in Chicago. 

I posted this on the grad transfer thread in a discussion with Parliament, but I thought it'd generate more traffic here. Anybody else interested in Joe Burrows from Ohio State as a grad transfer QB? Herman recruited him to OSU before he left. He should fit the offense and was Mr. Football in Ohio his senior year. He's expected to finish behind Dwayne Haskins in the QB battle this spring. Has 2 years of eligibility remaining.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Both if those responses indicate that they believe there are numerous other factors in play where Nd has an advantage. I wonder what they think they are, other than maybe job opportunities in Chicago. 

Eh, ND does have more national cred than UT. If he wants to work in NY or SF for example. That said, sounds like Nana is fine staying closer to home.

From the Notre Dame 247 site

Osafo-Mensah set to see all Notre Dame has to offer this weekend

Tom Loy - 3 hours ago7

Fort Worth (Texas) Nolan Catholic four-star defensive end NaNa Osafo-Mensah will take an official visit to Notre Dame this weekend.

[https://s3media](Photo: Greg Powers, Scout.com)

Barring a change, this will be his final trip to South Bend before he announces his commitment between his two finalists — Notre Dame and Texas.

“I’m really looking forward to experiencing what it is like as a Notre Dame student-athlete and to see what they do socially, how they practice, how a classroom is, and just how campus life is,” said Osafo-Mensah.

“There’s nothing specific that I need to see to make a decision,” he added. “I just want to see what school I could picture myself being more happy at.”

Osafo-Mensah is arguably the top overall target for Notre Dame on the defensive side of the ball. This is a huge visit for the Irish coaching staff, as they will spend the next 48 hours trying to ensure that the 6-4, 230-pounder leaves feeling great about Notre Dame. Defensive line coach Mike Elston, the primary recruiter for the Lone Star State standout, is up to the task.

“I really like Coach Elston, because the relationship we’ve developed has made me see him as more than just a coach,” said Osafo-Mensah. “He’s someone I trust, in that if I was to come to Notre Dame, although I’d be far from home, he’d still show tons of hospitality towards me.”

Faith is extremely important to Osafo-Mensah. When asked why he wears No. 31, he said that it’s because of the 31 chapters in the Book of Proverbs. Most would assume that gives Notre Dame an edge in the department. Yes, that will absolutely factor into his final decision, but it doesn’t give one school an advantage over the other.

“I know I can express my faith at both Texas and Notre Dame, but obviously more at Notre Dame,” said Osafo-Mensah. “I’m just like this because when I look at all of my achievements, I see that none of them were achieved by myself. I’ve had help from tons and tons of people, which I see is God’s plan you know. Everything happens for a reason and I just believe that’s God’s design for us.”

Osafo-Mensah was last on campus in January. He and his family were at Notre Dame for Junior Day and the trip couldn’t have gone better. While in town, he spent time with the coaches, toured the facilities, and checked out what life was like as a Notre Dame student-athlete. It’ll be interesting to see if Notre Dame, the school that was the perceived favorite early on, can swing things back in its favor, as most believe Texas is the tea to beat as it stands now.

Per the 247Sports Composite Rankings, Osafo-Mensah is the No. 115 overall player in the 2019 class, No. 7 weak-side defensive end in the country, and No. 18 prospect in Texas from the class of 2019

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Jake Smith will visit for the spring game.

He's the adequate replacement for Wilson, now that Wilson appears to be trending away from Texas. He's not as good as Wilson, but he's an inside/outside guy who can win all over the field. Of course, it appears that the Jake Smith recruitment will be a very competitive one, but at least he's visiting for a second time, and will likely OV later. 

25 minutes ago, Fud said:

He's the adequate replacement for Wilson, now that Wilson appears to be trending away from Texas. He's not as good as Wilson, but he's an inside/outside guy who can win all over the field. Of course, it appears that the Jake Smith recruitment will be a very competitive one, but at least he's visiting for a second time, and will likely OV later. 

Uh, isn't Smith a slot and Wilson an outside guy? Also we still have Wilson's last OV.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Uh, isn't Smith a slot and Wilson an outside guy? Also we still have Wilson's last OV.

They're both inside/outside guys, can play both imo. 

We probably need to hit a home run to keep Wilson from committing to Ohio State the weekend after. Hopefully he delays. 

Wilson is going to Texas.

Smith is a slot. Wilson is an inside/outside guy but not a slot / hybrid like Smith. Smith is much more explosive, sudden, and faster than Wilson. Wilson is much smoother, polished,  and has the best timing and ability to go get a ball from any high school receiver i have seen. 

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Fud said:

We probably need to hit a home run to keep Wilson from committing to Ohio State the weekend after. Hopefully he delays. 

Wilson just needs Texas to give him hope the offense is going to improve this season and then again next season when he arrives. If they can sell him on that, he is a Longhorn. He has spelled this out of the staff. He wants to go to Texas. He is just looking for the reason at this point.

Edited by Longhorn94

4 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Wilson just needs Texas to give him hope the offense is going to improve this season and then again next season when he arrives. If they can sell him on that, he is a Longhorn. He has spelled this out of the staff. He wants to go to Texas. He is just looking for the reason at this point.

How confident are you that he's Texas-bound, in terms of percentages?

16 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

SarvanFud

I'm normally pretty optimistic in recruiting regarding this staff, but not here. To be clear, I'm not throwing in the towel here, I just think it's more likely Ohio State than Texas. Hope I'm wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

I'm normally pretty optimistic in recruiting regarding this staff, but not here. To be clear, I'm not throwing in the towel here, I just think it's more likely Ohio State than Texas. Hope I'm wrong. 

You are. Wilson wants to go to Texas. He would have already committed if our offense wasn't an issue. He needs to see Sam, Shane and Rising throw the ball around at the Spring Game. He needs to see that really great group of receivers put on a show. Ohio State is his fall back in case Herman isnt able to convince him the offense will be functional and able to showcase his skills. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

You are. Wilson wants to go to Texas. He would have already committed if our offense wasn't an issue. He needs to see Sam, Shane and Rising throw the ball around at the Spring Game. He needs to see that really great group of receivers put on a show. Ohio State is his fall back in case Herman isnt able to convince him the offense will be functional and able to showcase his skills. 

I think if even one the WR's are even marginally effective/competent during the spring game we'll be fine, but of course you have more info on that than I do. 

We just need to show him we actually have a functioning passing offense.

Btw, the new OC at LT is in the middle of installing a lot of Herman's concepts and plays as LT's new offense. Wilson knows the scheme and he really likes it. He just needs to see UT execute it as well as LT... *runs and ducks*

• Like 1