Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Bridges is supposed to be kind of a dick who won't be here to play school even more than your average D-I player. On the flip side he's fabulously talented.

Read that after one of his games this year, the Hebron coach literally had to bear hug Bridges to keep him from chasing down and fighting an opposing player afterwards.

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

You know, Mack had a line where he would say his best recruiting job was getting Ricky Williams to come back for his senior year.

Someday, maybe Herman and Drayton will say the same thing about their valiant effort to get Kyle Porter to withdraw from the transfer pool and triumphantly return for his senior year.

RadiantHeavenlyAlbertosaurus-small.gif

1 minute ago, NorLa Horns said:

Yeah. That caught my attention. Anybody know anything about this?

Just now, texifornia said:

Thompson has been rumored to be a bit grumpy (which was kind of destined for whichever guy lost the depth chart battle of the RS Fr).

We're doing this conversation again ALREADY?

time-is-a-flat-circle-gif-8.gif

• Like 1

Greg Biggins: Five-star ATH Bru McCoy recaps official visit to USC

Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei wide out Bru McCoy took his final official visit over the weekend to check out USC. McCoy, the No. 7 player in the 247Sports Composite and No. 4 by 247Sports just capped off his high school career with a 2nd straight state championship and probable national championship as well. We have said it many times before but he’s one of the best two-way players the state has ever produced and has the ability to be a difference maker at wide receiver and linebacker in college.

On the recruiting front, McCoy has already taken official visits to Texas, UCLA and Washington and spent the weekend at USC. “It was a really fun trip,” McCoy said. “Me and my dad were just talking about it, how it’s one of those things where you spend so much time talking with people but don’t feel you really know them as well. This was visit was great because I got to know the coaching staff as people and learn more about them and I really had a blast.

“We had a great group of players that were there too. I was with Kyle Ford and Ethan Rae most of the time but also got to see JT (Daniels) and Amon-Ra (St. Brown) and it’s a place where I’m extremely comfortable at. I’ve been there a ton and know all about the school and what they’re about so I didn’t see anything new from that standpoint but just getting to know the coaches was probably one of the highlights for me.”

One coach in particular McCoy was able to spend a lot of time with was new OC Kliff Kingsbury. “First off, he’s a really cool guy, very relatable and comfortable with who he is as a person,” McCoy said. “So we immediately clicked and we spent a lot of time going over the offense and how they would use me. If you’re a receiver, you really can’t find a better fit. He showed me film of Texas Tech and it’s a great offense.

“They spread the field and have four wide outs on the field almost all the time. They’re going to throw the ball 40-50 times a game in that offense, it’s really hard to double team anyone because of how well they spread a defense out so it’s a ton of one on one matchup’s everywhere. He’s really excited to be at SC because of the talent that is there. He’s getting guys that weren’t even highly recruited players out of HS to put up big numbers and getting them drafted and you can just imagine what he could do with the kind of talent he’ll have at USC.”

McCoy said Kingsbury was his first choice for an OC when the position opened up and he could get who he wanted as a WR coach too. “I think it looks good for Keary Colbert to be the WR coach and that’s who I wanted,” McCoy said. “I don’t know if it’s official yet but he’s my top choice for the position. He’s a great guy and we have a really good relationship. My best case scenario was Kingsbury and Colbert so I was keeping my fingers crossed that those two would be the guys.

“Coach Helton is a great guy too. I’ve known him forever and he’s the same guy now as he was when I first met him. He has that southern hospitality about him and it doesn’t matter who you are, he treats everyone with respect. He’s such a positive guy to be around and when I’m with him, we barely even talk football, we just talk about life. He’s someone I know has my best interests at heart and he told me that will never change, no matter what college I pick.”

McCoy said the academic fit was another big selling point from the weekend. “They have a cool set up at USC where you can graduate in three years,” McCoy said. “You take four classes in the spring and fall and then two every summer and you can do that. The networking at USC and the alumni support is really incredible. It’s something I’ve seen firsthand for myself living in Southern California for my whole life.

“It’s kind of funny you can walk around anywhere and pick the USC people out of the crowd and the power of the degree is big. Right now, I feel really good about USC and the situation there. They have JT already in place and then Bryce is coming in right behind him and those are two elite level quarterbacks so it’s a pretty ideal situation. I’m going to be graduating early so I’m going to have to sign this week and just keep it quiet and then announce at the All-American Game January 5 if that’s what I’m still going to do. I have to take nine finals this week so it’s a grind but I’m on way home right now to talk with my dad and finalize the decision and then we’ll go from there.”

Texas did an incredible job recruiting McCoy, Washington made a big impression and UCLA made a late push as well but USC was always the team to beat here and it sounds like that remains the case following his weekend visit.

Lol 9.95ers have been talking about how Texas will have time to work on Bru until January but he's signing Wednesday. We already knew he was an EE so not sure how people have missed that. I had been wondering if he was just enrolling at his school and not be on scholarship or something because I didn't get how it would work if he waited to sign on NSD2. 

E: That also means that Kliff's NFL status doesn't matter. That won't happen until at least the end of the NFL season in a couple weeks so Bru will already be locked in. Maybe Jerry will miraculously fire Linehan and money whip Kliff tonight but I think those of us that are Cowboys fans have already accepted there is a negative percentage chance of that happening. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

44 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

You know, Mack had a line where he would say his best recruiting job was getting Ricky Williams to come back for his senior year.

Someday, maybe Herman and Drayton will say the same thing about their valiant effort to get Kyle Porter to withdraw from the transfer pool and triumphantly return for his senior year.

tenor.gif

Just now, Sgt. Slaughter said:

It will be like getting a handy from a masseuse. Not quite what you would like, but still gets the job done.

I think at this point the real #1 priority for our run game is improving OL run blocking and landing zach evans. If we miss out on evans then I will join the fuck stan drayton bandwagon.

10 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Greg Biggins: Five-star ATH Bru McCoy recaps official visit to USC

Hide contents

Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei wide out Bru McCoy took his final official visit over the weekend to check out USC. McCoy, the No. 7 player in the 247Sports Composite and No. 4 by 247Sports just capped off his high school career with a 2nd straight state championship and probable national championship as well. We have said it many times before but he’s one of the best two-way players the state has ever produced and has the ability to be a difference maker at wide receiver and linebacker in college.

On the recruiting front, McCoy has already taken official visits to Texas, UCLA and Washington and spent the weekend at USC. “It was a really fun trip,” McCoy said. “Me and my dad were just talking about it, how it’s one of those things where you spend so much time talking with people but don’t feel you really know them as well. This was visit was great because I got to know the coaching staff as people and learn more about them and I really had a blast.

“We had a great group of players that were there too. I was with Kyle Ford and Ethan Rae most of the time but also got to see JT (Daniels) and Amon-Ra (St. Brown) and it’s a place where I’m extremely comfortable at. I’ve been there a ton and know all about the school and what they’re about so I didn’t see anything new from that standpoint but just getting to know the coaches was probably one of the highlights for me.”

One coach in particular McCoy was able to spend a lot of time with was new OC Kliff Kingsbury. “First off, he’s a really cool guy, very relatable and comfortable with who he is as a person,” McCoy said. “So we immediately clicked and we spent a lot of time going over the offense and how they would use me. If you’re a receiver, you really can’t find a better fit. He showed me film of Texas Tech and it’s a great offense.

“They spread the field and have four wide outs on the field almost all the time. They’re going to throw the ball 40-50 times a game in that offense, it’s really hard to double team anyone because of how well they spread a defense out so it’s a ton of one on one matchup’s everywhere. He’s really excited to be at SC because of the talent that is there. He’s getting guys that weren’t even highly recruited players out of HS to put up big numbers and getting them drafted and you can just imagine what he could do with the kind of talent he’ll have at USC.”

McCoy said Kingsbury was his first choice for an OC when the position opened up and he could get who he wanted as a WR coach too. “I think it looks good for Keary Colbert to be the WR coach and that’s who I wanted,” McCoy said. “I don’t know if it’s official yet but he’s my top choice for the position. He’s a great guy and we have a really good relationship. My best case scenario was Kingsbury and Colbert so I was keeping my fingers crossed that those two would be the guys.

“Coach Helton is a great guy too. I’ve known him forever and he’s the same guy now as he was when I first met him. He has that southern hospitality about him and it doesn’t matter who you are, he treats everyone with respect. He’s such a positive guy to be around and when I’m with him, we barely even talk football, we just talk about life. He’s someone I know has my best interests at heart and he told me that will never change, no matter what college I pick.”

McCoy said the academic fit was another big selling point from the weekend. “They have a cool set up at USC where you can graduate in three years,” McCoy said. “You take four classes in the spring and fall and then two every summer and you can do that. The networking at USC and the alumni support is really incredible. It’s something I’ve seen firsthand for myself living in Southern California for my whole life.

“It’s kind of funny you can walk around anywhere and pick the USC people out of the crowd and the power of the degree is big. Right now, I feel really good about USC and the situation there. They have JT already in place and then Bryce is coming in right behind him and those are two elite level quarterbacks so it’s a pretty ideal situation. I’m going to be graduating early so I’m going to have to sign this week and just keep it quiet and then announce at the All-American Game January 5 if that’s what I’m still going to do. I have to take nine finals this week so it’s a grind but I’m on way home right now to talk with my dad and finalize the decision and then we’ll go from there.”

Texas did an incredible job recruiting McCoy, Washington made a big impression and UCLA made a late push as well but USC was always the team to beat here and it sounds like that remains the case following his weekend visit.

Already planning who he wants as his receiver coach right after kliff was hired. 

We never had a fucking chance. 

6 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Lol 9.95ers have been talking about how Texas will have time to work on Bru until January but he's signing Wednesday. We already knew he was an EE so not sure how people have missed that. I had been wondering if he was just enrolling at his school and not be on scholarship or something because I didn't get how it would work if he waited to sign on NSD2. 

E: That also means that Kliff's NFL status doesn't matter. That won't happen until at least the end of the NFL season in a couple weeks so Bru will already be locked in. Maybe Jerry will miraculously fire Linehan and money whip Kliff tonight but I think those of us that are Cowboys fans have already accepted there is a negative percentage chance of that happening. 

Not that it fucking matter because we aren’t getting him but technically a kid doesn’t have to sign a LOI. The recruit can simply show up at school whenever he is ready to enroll as long as you have an open scholarship. 

1 minute ago, bEastTexas said:

Not that it fucking matter because we aren’t getting him but technically a kid doesn’t have to sign a LOI. The recruit can simply show up at school whenever he is ready to enroll as long as you have an open scholarship. 

Ah I see. Ty. And yeah unfortunately he said he is signing.

EJ (and Mike Roach) USC CB's coming in 3 2 1 ....

Just now, Bodacious Bevo said:

Ah I see. Ty. And yeah unfortunately he said he is signing.

EJ (and Mike Roach) USC CB's coming in 3 2 1 ....

Not surprised he’s signing on Wednesday since EJ has been telling his rubes he wasn’t, EJ doesn’t know the difference between his ass hole and a hole in the ground. 

Just now, DoneWithit said:

Already planning who he wants as his receiver coach right after kliff was hired. 

Anyone that experiences “blue balls” (metaphorically speaking, I hope) deserves all the discomfort that goes with it. Bru was never happening. We made a nice effort, pushed the brand out there, and should eventually reap some benefit from those efforts. Keep winning, keep pushing, profit down the road. Long game.

10 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

This. The moment I read that I realized it was fucking over and to be honest never started. Oh well. These pipelines take time to bear fruit (who doesn't like mixed metaphors) and eventually will be rewarding (as soon as 20 or 21 when Helton is fired hopefully).

• Like 1

Not that it would have mattered but I always felt that sanders and bru’s visits were too early. They should’ve been in December or late November.

But we weren’t getting bru unless usc didn’t exist and sanders unless we were willing to match what bama and uga offered.

These 9.95ers are sounding really aggy about the comments of how the staff did all they could etc... sounds like what looch and Hamm were saying last year about Jimbo at least getting a visit from these guys.

18 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Anyone that experiences “blue balls” (metaphorically speaking, I hope) deserves all the discomfort that goes with it. Bru was never happening. We made a nice effort, pushed the brand out there, and should eventually reap some benefit from those efforts. Keep winning, keep pushing, profit down the road. Long game.

Sorry but before reading bru’s most recent comments I think we had a glimpse of hope but nothing to bet on. Also the fact that we whooped their ass, have 2 dominant receivers, QB that has a  trajectory going way up, a CCG appearance and NY6 bowl could have been a solid case. But unfortunately it wasn’t. Shit happens and we couldn’t take the dream out of the kid even if it’s turning into a shit hole. But this my no means was a pipe dream and it shows Herman isn’t scared to go up against this type of recruit. 

Edited by DoneWithit