Texas recruiting notes 2019

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

From our more-heralded 2018 class, we had maybe three players who made a significant positive impact the first game: Sterns, Foster, and Ingram. If that number is larger this time around, it's because we played a weaker opponent in week 1.

You don't think it had more to do with a lot of senior contributors on the roster last year, and Herman's insistence on sticking to upperclassmen (*coughHager*)?  We may well have real needs for younger players to step up at LB, DT, CB and RB in the first part of next season.  

26 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

Don't think Owens is going to be a game changer day one.  Supremely talented and also supremely raw.  Plus, he's got a number of extremely talented safeties in front of him.  Derrian Brown will see a good bit of playing time out of necessity, but I don't see him as a game changer.  Hope I'm wrong on that one.  I actually think T Johnson has a chance to start from day 1.  We don't have many guys like him on the roster and he is a EE.  He's got a chance to lock down a spot by the end of spring.

Brown is a game changer. That kid is an incredible RB. He and Ingram will split carries, easily. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stampeder said:

Cook likely has one CB spot nailed down.  Most feel J. Green has more natural talent and is the likely starter at the other corner.  But he got very little playing time and I'm not sure he's more talented than K. Watson.  To me, at least one CB is very much up for grabs.  On the O-Line, we got three spots to fill and a number of developmental guys.  T Johnson might be able to come in as a EE and nail down one of those spots.  I think he's the most talented OL we have on the roster at this point.

Jalen Green was 247's number one rated player in the State of Texas, and was ranked 47 in the composite. Watson is an exciting prospect, but he's in the mid-100s in the composite and is ranked as the number 266 player by 247 (although it sounds like he's going to jump up a bit in the final rankings) Green was a more touted prospect than Watson be nearly everyone. I'm not saying Watson won't be a better player than Green. But we do this every year with new recruits, penciling them in to start over guys that were more highly ranked and have already been in the system for a year or two. Recency bias. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

You don't think it had more to do with a lot of senior contributors on the roster last year, and Herman's insistence on sticking to upperclassmen (*coughHager*)?  We may well have real needs for younger players to step up at LB, DT, CB and RB in the first part of next season.  

I was merely talking about the first game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Brown is a game changer. That kid is an incredible RB. He and Ingram will split carries, easily. 

Listen dude, we fucking get it. You looooooooooooooooooooooooooove Brown. You can't stop banging that fucking drum. Just as long as you realize that while many posters here like him, you're the number one, T Swifty Level Super Fan on this website. We fully expect you to own it, and eat appropriate shit when that guy doesn't come in and rush for 8-1000 yards as a freshman. But by the same token, you get to crow if you are correct. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I hope we have been doing a better job with our roster to the point where none of these freshman need to be day 1 starters. We have one receiver slot on offense up for grabs and two linebacker spots. Just based on that Floyd has the best chance to be a day 1 starter but I still think he will just be in the rotation. 

Maybe Floyd is just that much of a bad ass that he makes himself a day 1 starter. Bama and Clemson still find these guys that start from day 1. We are not better than that. 

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Jalen Green was 247's number one rated player in the State of Texas, and was ranked 47 in the composite. Watson is an exciting prospect, but he's in the mid-100s in the composite and is ranked as the number 266 player by 247 (although it sounds like he's going to jump up a bit in the final rankings) Green was a more touted prospect than Watson be nearly everyone. I'm not saying Watson won't be a better player than Green. But we do this every year with new recruits, penciling them in to start over guys that were more highly ranked and have already been in the system for a year or two. Recency bias. 

I didn't pencil in Watson to start over Green.  Just pointed out that Green got zero playing time at CB this year and Watson is an equally talented CB in terms of physical skill.  Maybe moreso.  Had Green been a EE and Cook wasn't, I'd imagine we'd be talking about whether Cook could nail down a spot against Watson.  It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

We fully expect you to own it, and eat appropriate shit when that guy doesn't come in and rush for 8-1000 yards as a freshman. But by the same token, you get to crow if you are correct. 

I dunno, man. I fully expect him to rush for somewhere between 8 and 1000 yards as a freshman.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Listen dude, we fucking get it. You looooooooooooooooooooooooooove Brown. You can't stop banging that fucking drum. Just as long as you realize that while many posters here like him, you're the number one, T Swifty Level Super Fan on this website. We fully expect you to own it, and eat appropriate shit when that guy doesn't come in and rush for 8-1000 yards as a freshman. But by the same token, you get to crow if you are correct. 

People are sleeping on this kid for whatever reason. Same reason people are "concerned" because the Gatorade POY played in Arizona. It's ridiculous. Oh, and the same people who say not to worry about rankings are also selling kids short because, you guessed it, rankings and location. 

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

People are sleeping on this kid for whatever reason. Same reason people are "concerned" because the Gatorade POY played in Arizona. It's ridiculous. Oh, and the same people who say not to worry about rankings are also selling kids short because, you guessed it, rankings and location. 

I'm guessing they're sleeping on him because lots, lots of people saw something different from you and he ran behind a HS line where all or almost all of the players had D1 scholarships? I dunno, just spitballing here. Who knows, maybe he's Travis Ettiene. Or maybe he's a Katy running back like Kyle Portah. Time will tell. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm guessing they're sleeping on him because lots, lots of people saw something different from you and he ran behind a HS line where all or almost all of the players had D1 scholarships? I dunno, just spitballing here. Who knows, maybe he's Travis Ettiene. Or maybe he's a Katy running back like Kyle Portah. Time will tell. 

You can't teach his first step cut and go and catching out of the backfield. He's the first true APB we've had here in awhile. 

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

You can't teach his first step cut and go and catching out of the backfield. He's the first true APB we've had here in awhile. 

giphy.gif

I'm certainly not down on the guy. I like him. But I don't like nearly as much as you do in the ovaries on the table manner you've displayed here the past month or two. I'm cheering for you to be correct, however. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

giphy.gif

I'm certainly not down on the guy. I like him. But I don't like nearly as much as you do in the ovaries on the table manner you've displayed here the past month or two. I'm cheering for you to be correct, however. 

I'm letting my ovaries hang on this one. I won't say another thing about Brown until the season begins, ok? But he's aspecimen. His speed is nuts. 

So we have an old-fashioned source-off on Buechele.

CTJ is saying he's transferring (destination SMU).

Chip Brown says he's transferring, destination unknown.

Justin Wells says he's leaning towards staying. Wells also says Brandon Jones will stay (and I do trust him on this one).

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm letting my ovaries hang on this one. I won't say another thing about Brown until the season begins, ok? But he's aspecimen. His speed is nuts. 

Ha. Shit man, don't let my posting keep you from gushing about Brown. Have at it. This is some of the shit that makes message boarding fun. It's just a little rubbin'

giphy.gif

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I hope we have been doing a better job with our roster to the point where none of these freshman need to be day 1 starters. We have one receiver slot on offense up for grabs and two linebacker spots. Just based on that Floyd has the best chance to be a day 1 starter but I still think he will just be in the rotation. 

We have. Herman has strong evals and he fills spots of need each year, unlike Charlie who had wildly imbalanced classes leading to major roster holes.  Problem is, this year and next year we're dealing with depth issues due to the high wash out rate of Charlie's 2015 and 2016 class, all the transfers from the 2016 class, and a small 2017 class to boot. Getting 10 wins and a Sugar Bowl victory with a roster made up of those classes was aboslutely huge. We still have some depth concerns going into next year at LB, OL, RB, and CB, but after next year, this roster projects to be very deep and talented for the foreseeable future. The one thing Herman must add is more elite players. We've taken a lot of good players, but we need to add more program-changing talents in order to be a serious national title contender moving forward. Thankfully, 2020 looks promising in that regard. 

29 minutes ago, Scholz said:

I don't care if they start but I'm hoping to see a lot of Whittington at APB and Smith at slot on the field.  Preferably at the same time.

Whittington and Smith are huge additions because they immediately become the best options to add explosive plays to this offense. Well, that and Sam hitting Duvernay when he's wide ass open on posts and go routes.  If next year's OL can improve in run blocking, then this offense will see a lot more big play opportunities and have the talent to execute them.

24 minutes ago, thepop said:

Do you think Buj will leave after his junior year too? Jk, but I do think he improved as the season went on and i'm sure he'll be fine. Not Dickson good but good enough.

It went a little bit under the radar, but Buj improved a ton over the second half of the season similar to Dicko as a FR. If Buj can take a big step forward from year 1 to 2, then that will be a huge boon to this team and especially the defense.  Poor punting leading to us losing the field position battle combined with lack of big plays was a big factor in us not being able to put teams away. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Justin Wells says he's staying. Wells also says Brandon Jones will stay (and I do trust him on this one).

Hope Wells is correct on Jones.  Given the youth in our secondary we really need his leadership/experience next year.  As for Buechele, he's earned the right to do whatever makes him happy and still garner the respect of the fan-base.  Class act.

• Like 2

Word. I just haven't been this excited over a RB prospect in a loooooong time. Maybe Ced Benson? It's been awhile. I didn't know much about Jamaal until he got here, but this kid is like Jamaal. It's hard to contain my excitement lol. 

He's not like Jamaal 

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

We have. Herman has strong evals and he fills spots of need each year, unlike Charlie who had wildly imbalanced classes leading to major roster holes.  Problem is, this year and next year we're dealing with depth issues due to the high wash out rate of Charlie's 2015 and 2016 class, all the transfers from the 2016 class, and a small 2017 class to boot. Getting 10 wins and a Sugar Bowl victory with a roster made up of those classes was aboslutely huge. We still have some depth concerns going into next year at LB, OL, RB, and CB, but after next year, this roster projects to be very deep and talented for the foreseeable future. The one thing Herman must add is more elite players. We've taken a lot of good players, but we need to add more program-changing talents in order to be a serious national title contender moving forward. Thankfully, 2020 looks promising in that regard. 

I fully expect several freshman to be contributors and lose their shirt but to be starters? Its really hard to see one. The best chance we have is one of our receivers can become a starter later on in the season or Floyd to be in the heavy linebacker rotation. 

The two JUCOs or any grad transfer we sign are entirely different. 

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I don't think we truly have RB issues. As someone pointed out, we have Ingram, brown, and Whittington can play RB if need be. And then we have Young to bully people on passing downs. Next year we'll need 2 RB's (Evans and whomever).

We need another for this year, preferably a grad transfer.  Ingram is the only known quantity.  Brown should be a reasonable option to take the load off Ingram.  Whittington would be more of a wildcat, specialty guy.  That's way too thin at a position that gets pretty beat up.

Edited by Stampeder

Word. I just haven't been this excited over a RB prospect in a loooooong time. Maybe Ced Benson? It's been awhile. I didn't know much about Jamaal until he got here, but this kid is like Jamaal. It's hard to contain my excitement lol. 

Most of us were excited as fuck about Malcolm Brown and Jonathan Gray.  They both turned out alright, but nowhere near their high school level hype.

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Justin Wells says he's leaning towards staying. Wells also says Brandon Jones will stay (and I do trust him on this one).

If he stays, you have to think Rising transfers. And I really do not blame him if he did, to be honest. 

• Fuck You 1

Just now, South Austin said:

Most of us were excited as fuck about Malcolm Brown and Jonathan Gray.  They both turned out alright, but nowhere near their high school level hype.

I wasn't as excited. Not about Gray due to his high mileage. Brown because he was a 5*, but nothing past that. He turned out ok due to us having a shit line. We now have a line that will allow our RB's to do their thing.

Have you seen his hudl? He runs past defenders like Jamaal. I'm not the only person that's made this observation.

It was hyperbole when others said it as well.  Jamaal was a different dude from the jump.  Way more sudden and instinctual than what I see on Brown's film  And that's not a knock on Brown at all.  Doesn't JC still lead the NFL in career avg per carry?  He was a ridiculous talent.

Just now, Stampeder said:

It was hyperbole when others said it as well.  Jamaal was a different dude from the jump.  Way more sudden and instinctual than what I see on Brown's film  And that's not a knock on Brown at all.  Doesn't JC still lead the NFL in career avg per carry?  He was a ridiculous talent.

I'm not saying he's as fast as Jamaal, I'm saying his cut and go is like Jamaal. Dude will never be Jamaal. That's obvious. He's more of a Alvin Kamara kind of back overall, not that he'll BE Kamara. 

21 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Ingram was better than Brown in High School at both running and receiving. I like Brown, but I think you and other are being dismissive of of Ingram. 

Just now, Bolero88 said:

Ingram was better than Brown in High School at both running and receiving. I like Brown, but I think you and other are being dismissive of of Ingram. 

Not at all. I'm not being dismissive because I said they'll split carries. Ingram was hurt most of last season, but he's a gamer. He needs to add weight and get healthy, but he'll be a good one. 

Not at all. I'm not being dismissive because I said they'll split carries. Ingram was hurt most of last season, but he's a gamer. He needs to add weight and get healthy, but he'll be a good one. 

Cool. I agree with you. I just wish you hadn't said that Brown was the first APB we've had in a long while when Ingram is on our roster now.