Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

22 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

No clue, I just know it's rare.  Saw a tweet from Shep a couple days ago where he was imploring people to text him directly to find out his OV plans and not his trainer/mentors.  Not sure what's up, but sounds like something w/FWK might not be going well.  Regardless, if he doesn't have concrete plans to officially visit us, but does A$M, 'Bama and UGa, the handwriting is more than on the wall on this one.

FWK has called out Shepherd a couple of times times in the last few weeks about being late to workouts, or not showing.

12 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So their ceiling is 27, theynhave 23 signed and 2 more committed. That would leave 2 spots unless they tell mowery or Ellison to take a hike. How many are left on their board other than shepherd and lee?

Perroni has said in recent week their hard cap is 26, so 3 spots and I would think they have to sign atleast 1 LB and CB leaving 1 spot for the 2 commits + Shep and whomever else they might be able to get. 

I’m not saying this is or will be the case but remember when Herman said it’s not the ones you miss out on signing.  It’s the ones that you do sign and then get stuck with for 4-5 years.  Shepherd situation could be applicable here.  With that said I hope he sticks and busts his ass once he gets here.

12 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Parsi are Zoroastrians.  (At least in heritage).

I'll leave it at this because it's the recruiting board, but genetic testing of Parsi populations in India has shown significant admixture of the Iranian and South Asian haplotype groups. Which makes sense given that the Parsis originally fled religious persecution under the Islamic caliphate to settle in India all the way back in the 7th and 8th centuries. There are many Zoroastrians in India who aren't Parsis, and fled Iran much more recently.

Ellison is a big grade risk, the rumours about him not qualifying date back to well before his senior year. Mowry's case may not be so clear-cut? Idk. @golfclap what have you heard?

Would-be amusing references to religions and squabbles about what poster is the bigger wind bag do not make for good reading. Neither do football board posts about a coach's future.

I will abandon this futile attempt to de-prioritize making this thread 1000 pages long at some point, but I still hold some faint hope that it and future recruiting threads will concentrate more on the actual subject and unique witticisms pertaining therein.

But, it will be worn out jokes, worn out feuds, worn out football takes, and worn out readers I'm sure.

Fuck your 1000 page goal. Fuck it as an excuse to bore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Islam isn't especially ancient. Zoroastrianism on the other hand? You'll have to piece together a long-dead language (Avestan) and/or track down some of it's few thousand remaining adherents before you can even crack its holy book open.

As a Zoroastrian, I agree in some respects.  But there are ok english translations out there.  Imagine saying the lord's prayer in the original latin, if you have never taken a latin class.  That's how we get around not speaking avestan.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Definitely conflicts with the folks who are reporting he's about to hire Beatty (and Carrier).  Makes me think a few things might be going on:

1.) $9.95ers don't know shit.  Never have; never will.

2.) Herman is doing his annual roundup of figuring out where there are leaks in his staff and plugging those leaks.

3.) Herman is "floating" to the college football world that everyone has a job offer (even though they don't actually), so that they're more attractive to another school.  This helps his guys get jobs, and it helps him keep/develop a rep as a coach who isn't going to fire coaches and helps his assistants obtain other jobs.

• Like 1

Just now, Katfid54 said:

Definitely conflicts with the folks who are reporting he's about to hire Beatty (and Carrier).  Makes me think a few things might be going on:

1.) $9.95ers don't know shit.  Never have; never will.

2.) Herman is doing his annual roundup of figuring out where there are leaks in his staff and plugging those leaks.

3.) Herman is "floating" to the college football world that everyone has a job offer (even though they don't actually), so that they're more attractive to another school.  This helps his guys get jobs, and it helps him keep/develop a rep as a coach who isn't going to fire coaches and helps his assistants obtain other jobs.

4) He's retaining some assistants but not in their current roles (admittedly, this feels like wishcasting)

31 minutes ago, elnimo said:

As a Zoroastrian, I agree in some respects.  But there are ok english translations out there.  Imagine saying the lord's prayer in the original latin, if you have never taken a latin class.  That's how we get around not speaking avestan.

The original written form is Koine Greek, but the original spoken form was Aramaic. Latin was not widely used for scripture before the third century. FWIW.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Maybe he saw the story re: Clemson's staff continuity. I still hope we can bring in someone, even if it isn't Beatty, who knows his way around DFW recruiting.

If we had Clemson’s staff we would want continuity also