Texas recruiting notes 2019

35 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

How can anyone that burns through as much daylight on this board, as I reprehensibly do, be expected to stay up to date on the origins of Catholicism, Christianity, Islam, Zoro Astrianism or any of the other lines of that kind of thinking?

31 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Zoroastrianism is just one word, you dumbfuck Cheerio-eating shitsipper.

I was imagining some constellation of Zoro, or some space-Zoro fighting against the authorities on the planet NuevoSpain, being worshiped by the Mestizo masses.

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah I don't get the hate or the association with poverty. Plenty of rich people have their kids eat healthier cereals like Cheerios with fruit - I always thought of the sugary cereals as the more redneck-y move (and I fucking loved Honey Smacks as a kid).

/threadderail

keep your chin up.  things can always turn around for you. 

3 minutes ago, thepop said:

The last thing I expected to be discussed in this thread was Zoroastrianism.

I dont even know what the fuck that is and I’m too lazy to even google the word. But I do know that plain Cheerios is like eating horse food. Frosted MiniWheats or GTFO. 

if people want me to not share TFloss updates, i just won't share it...no skin off my knee either way. 
they have their (limited) value, but there is a reason i spoiler them and always include the source.
here is a strawpoll for it, just vote: https://www.strawpoll.me/17197830
whatever the results are Friday AM i will follow.
No opition for EABOD, what kind of poll is this.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

More Barton Simmons Q&A, this time on the A&M board

DweuVDyU8AA4ihC.jpgDweuVZlU8AEuVVo.jpg

I feel like those clowns just ensured that no one from 247's high level team does a Q&A there in the near future.

the rest of the screenshots are pretty insane: https://twitter.com/LongHornFrenzy/status/1083025957244624898

Edited by NoName

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Of they question Texas commits rankings instead of asking about the commits they have.

They're losing their fucking mind over Isiah Spiller being ranked in the 500's.  Their only real argument for a bump is 'Why would Jimbo prioritize a low 3 star'.  Barton replies that Spiller did nothing in the all-star game and literally no one talked about him in the practices leading up to the game.

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

They're losing their fucking mind over Isiah Spiller being ranked in the 500's.  Their only real argument for a bump is 'Why would Jimbo prioritize a low 3 star'.  Barton replies that Spiller did nothing in the all-star game and literally no one talked about him in the practices leading up to the game.

Good thing they didn’t just lose the only good running back on their entire roster to the draft.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The obsession with rankings is pretty funny. If spiller, or Owens, or Williams move up 300 spots on 24/7 that doesn’t change anything about the player. This isn’t madden. 

Sometimes, these industry guys are wrong. Either through ignorance or stupidity. 

The rhetoric that's common on these boards is that the rankings matter because other elite prospects pay attention to them, since they want to play with other highly ranked players.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

How much studying of the sourcing of ancient texts do you think I've done in my life, sir? How can anyone that burns through as much daylight on this board, as I reprehensibly do, be expected to stay up to date on the origins of Catholicism, Christianity, Islam, Zoro Astrianism or any of the other lines of that kind of thinking?

Islam isn't especially ancient. Zoroastrianism on the other hand? You'll have to piece together a long-dead language (Avestan) and/or track down some of it's few thousand remaining adherents before you can even crack its holy book open.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

Should something happen on that front, I am told that Texas would likely pursue LSU DC Dave Arranda.

While that would be a great hire to replace Orlando, I'm not sure why Aranda would do it.  Yes i know he and Herman are long-time friends - but isn't Aranda waiting for either a HC gig or a NFL call up?  He's already the highest paid assistant in college - would we really top that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

While that would be a great hire to replace Orlando, I'm not sure why Aranda would do it.  Yes i know he and Herman are long-time friends - but isn't Aranda waiting for either a HC gig or a NFL call up?  He's already the highest paid assistant in college - would we really top that?

evidently we would try...maybe he has learned that LSU isn't all it is cracked up to be (and Coach O is exactly who it appeared he is?)

Tie together $$$ and a coach he is somewhat tight with and see what happens?

Edited by NoName

Temple, allegedly, was going to start interviews again this week - but I haven't seen anything about possible candidates.   This article says a decision could come as early as this weekend - doesn't mention Orlando at all.

http://www.philly.com/college-sports/temple/temple-football-coach-manny-diaz-search-hiring-decision-college-20190108.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

1.) Yes. I think Herman and CDC would consider giving that guy a raise solely upon the message it would send the world about Texas. Pushing whatever "We're back" or "We won't be outspent" or "We are a blue blood" narrative you want to pick. In this instance, I could see that thought process being bandied about.

2.) If you're Aranda, and you want to move up, he's in a good spot to do so, but he'd be at a same spot here. Maybe less talented athletes, sure, but good ones coming in and a team on a upward trajectory. 

It's not a slam dunk, but it's not a complete dismissal either, if you're Aranda. Then go get Elko. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

My take as well.  I'm sure TH would give it a shot, but I can't imagine Arranda would bite.  More than likely use the interest to get another bump.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

My take as well.  I'm sure TH would give it a shot, but I can't imagine Arranda would bite.  More than likely use the interest to get another bump.

all things considered, isn't bumping Orlando up to $2m (which is what Collins was making at Temple btw) and into the top 5 Assistant Coach $$ a better choice?

interestingly, the top assistant coaches salaries  are

1) Aranda (defense)

2) Venables (def)

3) Steele (def)

4) Elko (def)

5) Orlando (def)

6) Leavitt (def)

7) Schiano (def)

8 ) Tucker (def)

9) Pep Hamilton (offense)

10) Grantham (defense

1 minute ago, Orange&White said:

Taking Elko form the aggies would be sweeter than any nectar of the Gods!

Hell, even threatening to do so would be perfect. They'd get into a bidding war with themselves in an attempt to save face and they'd be paying him $5M a year.

Tom should go talk to him just for fun.

hey if we are going to be used to get a bunch of DC's more money, might as well take advantage of it

4 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

If I were Aranda, I wouldn't do it because it's one thing playing FL one week and getting ready to play Ole miss the next, than playing TT and okie light back to back.  For all the stupid narratives, offenses show up week in, week out in the Big 12. 

Couldn't agree more. Should Orlando leave our next DC should be someone with extensive knowledge of how to shut down or limit dual threat QB's in spread concepts, perhaps even looking to the DII ranks. We struggled mightily with teams if there was even a threat of the QB running, yet looked all-world against statues like Fromm. 

I was praying the whole time Georgia didn't put in Fields and luckily, they obliged.

• Like 2

Just now, TankedBevo said:

Couldn't agree more. Should Orlando leave our next DC should be someone with extensive knowledge of how to shut down or limit dual threat QB's in spread concepts, perhaps even looking to the DII ranks. We struggled mightily with teams if there was even a threat of the QB running, yet looked all-world against statues like Fromm. 

I was praying the whole time Georgia didn't put in Fields and luckily, they obliged.

That was exactly my fear. Apparently they decided to watch zero film on us. 

23 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I generally agree with this and thinks it’s unlikely we would get Aranda, but maybe him getting an up close look at the Ogre’s incompetence will drive him to flee that sinking ship. They went 10-3, but that roster has issues and I doubt anyone who's good at coaching watches Ogre's process and expects it to continually produce good results.  Not to mention that if burrow doesn’t fall in their lap, they’re screwed this year.

Also, while they had a pretty good season at first glance, their only good win was Georgia. After that, it’s a very limited Mississippi State squad and beating UCF by 8 with its backup QB. Once again, the beauty of SEC scheduling and there only being 1 actual good team in the SEC West. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I rest my case. I haven't studied it the way you two acolytes of the discipline clearly have. In a poll of who is the most pedantic thread vomiter on this board, I'd have a hard time not splitting the vote between the two of you.

tenor.gif?itemid=6051419

• Like 1

TFB on Shepherd. Echoes what Perroni was saying, but I know people like to hear it from a Texas perspective:

The only Texas commit that didn’t sign during the early signing period was North Forest (TX) offensive tackle Javonne Shepherd. We have the latest on his visit plans as the final stretch of his recruitment begins.

Shepherd will take an official to Texas A&M this weekend. And to be clear, this is the main school that Texas should be worried about. Shepherd is friends with some of the Aggie signees, including 5-star offensive tackle Kenyon Green.

Shepherd plans to visit Georgia and Alabama during the following two weekends. Those visits are something to watch, but I don’t think they’re as big of a threat to Texas right now.

I’d also expect Texas to try and get Shepherd back on campus before signing day. They’ve done a good job consistently getting him back on campus throughout the season. We’ll know a lot more in terms of this recruitment after his A&M visit this weekend.