Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

6 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

We did and it wasn't pretty. Go watch the firs quarter of the OSU game where OSU put up 21 points and over 200 yards if you need to jog your memory.  Cook is the only guy who's seen meaningful reps and looked even halfway decent.  Boyce was terrible, Green and Jamison didn't play and Thompson really, really struggles mentally. Thompson blew the coverage on the TD in the WVU game, he blew a bunch of coverages in the Sugar Bowl, and pretty much every time he played this year. 

I'm glad we got so many good CBs in the 2018 class, but even about half the highly rated guys end up busts. If one or two of Green, Jamison, Thompson don't develop over the offseason, then this team is in serious trouble at corner in a conference that routinely runs 4 wide sets and attacks the weakest link mercilessly. I don't buy that there weren't any JUCO CBs who could improve this roster for next year, and both starting spots have been vacated so you can sell playing time pretty easily regardless of the rankings of the 2018 guys.

Anyways, I guess the staff is betting on all the guys developing, but we'll have to some serious good luck with guys developing and staying healthy to survive. 

If needed, Sterns could also play corner. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 hours ago, Skipper said:

If there is a graduate transfer CB that is good enough to play at Texas and is an obvious day 1 starter or doesn't mind competing with 5 stars waiting in the wings that all things being equal will get PT over him, I'm sure the staff would be all over that guy.  Hard to find.

He is going to the NFL Combine and will be in the NFL next year.

FIFY

• Like 2

TFloss with what appears to be less than good news on Glass and Shepherd

Spoiler

RB Deondrick Glass was just on Houston radio and he said he's committing at the Blue-Grey All-American Bowl on January 14th.

He also mentioned he already knows where he's going, so it doesn't sound good for UT unless they can get him to Austin this weekend.

OK State is thought to be the favorite.

///

On OL Javonne Shepherd...A&M 24/7 reporting he will be officially visiting College Station this weekend.

He then plans on going to Alabama on the 18th and Georgia on the 25th.

As far as Texas, he said he isn't sure if he'll officially visit, but if he does, it will be the weekend before National Signing Day.

1 minute ago, NoName said:

TFloss with what appears to be less than good news on Glass and Shepherd

Hide contents

RB Deondrick Glass was just on Houston radio and he said he's committing at the Blue-Grey All-American Bowl on January 14th.

He also mentioned he already knows where he's going, so it doesn't sound good for UT unless they can get him to Austin this weekend.

OK State is thought to be the favorite.

///

On OL Javonne Shepherd...A&M 24/7 reporting he will be officially visiting College Station this weekend.

He then plans on going to Alabama on the 18th and Georgia on the 25th.

As far as Texas, he said he isn't sure if he'll officially visit, but if he does, it will be the weekend before National Signing Day.

It may be great news on both fronts.

• Like 2

Just now, Katfid54 said:

The Shepherd report is a bastardization of the aggy 247 update, which said he might visit for his last visit. I would take it with a grain of salt, as they are downplaying his likelihood to OV here. 

fair point, here is the actual Perroni report via LHF

Spoiler

5zmQ0S.png

short/slightly related IT

Spoiler

A few quick anecdotes by EN

I watched the game last night amidst a few former Bama people and a bunch of other coaches. 

Apparently once you’re on Saban’s payroll you’re always on it.

“He would call me up after I left and ask me about players.” I chuckled, thinking I would do the same. “He’d call me up and ask what schools I’ve been to and where am I going next. He’d ask me [guy is laughing hard by now] to tell certain players Bama is still after them. I’m visiting for another school!” GOAT

When this coach asked me where I lived I said near Houston. He immediately started talking about North Shore. “My opinion, Evans is the best high school running back since Fournette.”

“Do we have a chance?” This coach is at a good school but I told him no.

I talked to Brian Jean-Mary. The former UT LB coach was with Demarco Cobbs. I told him there was a large sect of UT fans appreciative of his time there. He spoke very highly of UT fans and was happy to see players he was fond of having success. I mentioned Omenihu and he cracked a big smile.

I asked Cobbs what his position should have been the whole time and he said offense. I rapped him on the chest and told him hell no. He’s yoked! 230 looking like Anthony Wheeler.

I bumped into my buddy at Utah. He really likes Keeyon Stewart at North Shore and the DB is taking an OV there this weekend. My guy did mention that he wasn’t sure if Stewart was a corner or safety (depends on his hips) but that he’s a ball player. Nickel with corner upside? Utah doesn’t care.

Tons of positive feedback on Texas. I was mainly there to talk recruiting/eval but UT came up in my conversations (“I’m a writer, cover UT”) and to a man they were impressed with what Herman was doing. Physicality was mentioned by a couple.

Edited by NoName

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

The Shepherd report is a bastardization of the aggy 247 update, which said he might visit for his last visit. I would take it with a grain of salt, as they are downplaying his likelihood to OV here. 

Am I the only person that finds zero value in the “tfloss “ updates on updates? They're little piles of shit added to this board daily that provide nothing new or insightful and usually involve plagiarizing updates already posted on this board. Then they cause dialogue here on people seeking/giving clarity as to what the fuck they are. Just fucking worthless, unhelpful shit. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Am I the only person that finds zero value in the “tfloss “ updates on updates? They littles piles of shit added to this board daily that provide nothing new or insightful and usually involve plagiarizing updates already posted on this board. Then they cause dialogue here on people seeking/giving clarity as to what the fuck they are. Just fucking worthless, unhelpful shit. 

Someone piss in your Cheerios this morning?

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Am I the only person that finds zero value in the “tfloss “ updates on updates? They littles piles of shit added to this board daily that provide nothing new or insightful and usually involve plagiarizing updates already posted on this board. Then they cause dialogue here on people seeking/giving clarity as to what the fuck they are. Just fucking worthless, unhelpful shit. 

Yeah, this past one was especially egregious because it came from freaking Perroni, so it actually gained credibility when it was posted by an anonymous message board poster.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Speak for yourself.  Glass going on Houston radio and saying he was committing at the AA game was news to me.   I just changed my weekend plans because of that.

11 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Jamison moving back to D for those discussing NB numbers earlier

I'm curious to see where he ends up. In most defenses, he'd be an obvious slot nickel corner, but we ask too much of that position in the run game for someone of Jamison's size, so we'd need to change the defense for him specifically. Otherwise, he could be a Jason Verrett type of smaller outside corner, or another smaller corner to rangy deeper safety convert like Earl Thomas. Not saying he'd be Verrett or Thomas, but mentioning them to illustrate what he'd potentially be stylistically. 

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You're aware, I assume, that this is the process whereby most of the world's holy texts accreted. I have the utmost respect for inanity, particularly when it is lacking citations.

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is our standard.

26 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'm curious to see where he ends up. In most defenses, he'd be an obvious slot nickel corner, but we ask too much of that position in the run game for someone of Jamison's size, so we'd need to change the defense for him specifically. Otherwise, he could be a Jason Verrett type of smaller outside corner, or another smaller corner to rangy deeper safety convert like Earl Thomas. Not saying he'd be Verrett or Thomas, but mentioning them to illustrate what he'd potentially be stylistically. 

Put about 15 lbs of muscle on him this offseason and set him loose to be a honey badger type player in the nickel spot.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm of two minds about this.

First, it can be nice to have someone summarizing the daily goings-on in the $9.95 world.  This is useful when one is too busy at work.  It's also useful when one can't bring himself to clicking to de-spoiler another 1,500 word-long EJ post full of inanities.  So--I think there is some value in "updates on updates."

But TFloss's model is awful, because he boils all of these huge posts down into one or two sentences, cutting out tripe but also cutting out meat.  Basically, we're getting TFloss's "impression" of the $9.95ers posts for that day, which is not particularly valuable.

Frankly, we would be much better off if Machinator would just begin every day summarizing with bullet points the four hundred posts he made the day before. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Someone piss in your Cheerios this morning?

I don't eat Cheerios. We were poor or broke when I was growing up, depending upon if my mom was employed, and there were 4 males in the house, 3 of whom were growing athletes heading north of 6 feet. So we had fucking Cheerios, or their Parade brand knock-off, dumped on us as cheap breakfast for two decades of my life. Horrible, tasteless shit. My wife bought some for my daughter a while back and I saw her eating them one morning. Those went straight into the trash. The pantry has 8-10 boxes of bad ass sweet cereal in it for a reason. We're not doing fucking Cheerios these days. 

34 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Speak for yourself.  Glass going on Houston radio and saying he was committing at the AA game was news to me.   I just changed my weekend plans because of that.

I usually do speak for myself, so we're covered on that front. The news about the AA game was disclosed and discussed here previously. Are you implying in some uppity manner here that you've got better things to do than keep up with this thread on a minute by minute basis?

32 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

You're aware, I assume, that this is the process whereby most of the world's holy texts accreted. I have the utmost respect for inanity, particularly when it is lacking citations.

How much studying of the sourcing of ancient texts do you think I've done in my life, sir? How can anyone that burns through as much daylight on this board, as I reprehensibly do, be expected to stay up to date on the origins of Catholicism, Christianity, Islam, Zoro Astrianism or any of the other lines of that kind of thinking?

3 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I'm of two minds about this.

First, it can be nice to have someone summarizing the daily goings-on in the $9.95 world.  This is useful when one is too busy at work.  It's also useful when one can't bring himself to clicking to de-spoiler another 1,500 word-long EJ post full of inanities.  So--I think there is some value in "updates on updates."

But TFloss's model is awful, because he boils all of these huge posts down into one or two sentences, cutting out tripe but also cutting out meat.  Basically, we're getting TFloss's "impression" of the $9.95ers posts for that day, which is not particularly valuable.

Frankly, we would be much better off if Machinator would just begin every day summarizing with bullet points the four hundred posts he made the day before. 

I was thinking to myself the same concept. If Machinator would 2.0 his ass into morning summaries of the prior days events, this board might be elevated to something above the current dipshittery we willingly mire ourselves into on a daily basis.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I was thinking to myself the same concept. If Machinator would 2.0 his ass into morning summaries of the prior days events, this board might be elevated to something above the current dipshittery we willingly mire ourselves into on a daily basis.

giphy.gif

Just now, Katfid54 said:

Zoroastrianism is just one word, you dumbfuck Cheerio-eating shitsipper.

Damnit beat me to it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Zoroastrianism is just one word, you dumbfuck Cheerio-eating shitsipper.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

giphy.gif

Damnit beat me to it. 

I rest my case. I haven't studied it the way you two acolytes of the discipline clearly have. In a poll of who is the most pedantic thread vomiter on this board, I'd have a hard time not splitting the vote between the two of you.

if people want me to not share TFloss updates, i just won't share it...no skin off my knee either way. 

they have their (limited) value, but there is a reason i spoiler them and always include the source.

here is a strawpoll for it, just vote: https://www.strawpoll.me/17197830

whatever the results are Friday AM i will follow.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

if people want me to not share TFloss updates, i just won't share it...no skin off my knee either way. 

they have their (limited) value, but there is a reason i spoiler them and always include the source.

I didn’t get a straw.

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

cheerios are fucking delicious

Yeah I don't get the hate or the association with poverty. Plenty of rich people have their kids eat healthier cereals like Cheerios with fruit - I always thought of the sugary cereals as the more redneck-y move (and I fucking loved Honey Smacks as a kid).

/threadderail

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

Just keep posting them. No one gives a shit except the known recruiting board blowhard. 

• Like 9