Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

18 minutes ago, Fud said:

West coast recruiting, not getting butt-fucked in DFW (Beaty could potentially help there, if his reputation as a DFW recruiter has any merit), St. Louis recruiting, Louisiana under rocks digging, and Atlanta metro area with the help of a certain signee's dad should help supplement what should be our home bases in Houston, central Texas, and East Texas

Stop.MyPenis.CanOnlyGetSoErect.Gif

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fud said:

West coast recruiting, not getting butt-fucked in DFW (Beaty could potentially help there, if his reputation as a DFW recruiter has any merit), St. Louis recruiting, Louisiana under rocks digging, and Atlanta metro area with the help of a certain signee's dad should help supplement what should be our home bases in Houston, central Texas, and East Texas

It's been curious to me why we don't dig around more in Denver and Kansas City as well. They're both underrecruited. They're not hot beds, but there's talent to mine in both places with non-blue blood recruiting competition. We've had solid results when digging around Denver in the past, too. There's a dude committed to KSU out of Lawrence or KC somewhere right now that is better take than Catalon or North Shore DB guy, but we're not showing any interest. Irritating.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

And what logic do you have behind "Texas is too big a job"? 30 minute LHN shows each week make calling plays on gameday a daunting task?

It's a strange take, and I use the word strange to be kind.

I may feel different if Herman didn't have to pick up recruiting slack for Giles, Warehime, and MEHringer.

39 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I may feel different if Herman didn't have to pick up recruiting slack for Giles, Warehime, and MEHringer.

It's like you fail to realize there are only so many things Herman can do for 3 hours on Saturday and that recruiting for weak staff members, scouting future opponents, handling administrative issues, and any of the things that make Texas a Big Job aren't any of those things. Play calling is one of those things, however. Or do you think Herman should be sneaking off into the injury tent and facetiming with recruits? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

This is actually a good idea.

"Coach, what did you think about that third down play where Sam made an incredible scramble then ran for the first down to ice the game?"

"I didn't see it. I was in the tent talking on the phone with Bru."

"Bru McCoy? He plays for USC, coach."

"Yah well I still think we've got a chance with him."

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Good list, and I figured there were a few, but couldn't recall off the top of my head.  Though Malzahn never won a title as Auburn head coach. 

Malzahn had given up calling plays for the last 2 years, but decided to take back that responsibility for next year and started with the bowl game.  That seemed to go ok.

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's like you fail to realize there are only so many things Herman can do for 3 hours on Saturday and that recruiting for weak staff members, scouting future opponents, handling administrative issues, and any of the things that make Texas a Big Job aren't any of those things. Play calling is one of those things, however. Or do you think Herman should be sneaking off into the injury tent and facetiming with recruits? 

I understand that you think that coaches who don't call plays during games somehow don't do anything productive during those 3 hours.  It's a ridiculous assertion, but you are welcome to it.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I understand that you think that coaches who don't call plays during games somehow don't do anything productive during those 3 hours.  It's a ridiculous assertion, but you are welcome to it.

Still waiting to hear what amazingly productive shit he could be doing on the sidelines during that time that can't be done by anyone else but Tom Herman while he calls plays. I can certainly think of one specific and important thing that Herman can do that has a direct correlation to us winning games, however.

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

It's been curious to me why we don't dig around more in Denver and Kansas City as well. They're both underrecruited. They're not hot beds, but there's talent to mine in both places with non-blue blood recruiting competition. We've had solid results when digging around Denver in the past, too. There's a dude committed to KSU out of Lawrence or KC somewhere right now that is better take than Catalon or North Shore DB guy, but we're not showing any interest. Irritating.

Cause we got a big enough issue keeping our players from smokin on the reefer, and don’t want to start adding Colorado hippies to the mix?

Posting this here because Carrier is relevant to recruiting. From a UH mod:

"Now, on the Tyron Carrier front. Some are beginning to wonder about the timing of them making these hires official and we talked recently about the importance of getting these coaches up to speed and ready to hit the road recruiting ASAP. Coaches can begin in-person contact again with recruits beginning Friday.

I still think they end up getting the Tyron Carrier deal done but the extra holdup has been on contract terms and it has been slowed a little by everyone's old friend Tom Herman. You see, Texas came in and make a big offer to Carrier to join their staff. The number was big enough that Houston is going to have to try and get it close or potentially to add a title in order to seal the deal and keep Carrier home. These agents are doing their job as is Houston. So far I still think they get it done because of the ties to Houston and Holgorsen but it has definitely cost them a little time and will cost them some money. Even anything begins to trend this in the direction of not getting done, I'll pass it along."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Posting this here because Carrier is relevant to recruiting. From a UH mod:

"Now, on the Tyron Carrier front. Some are beginning to wonder about the timing of them making these hires official and we talked recently about the importance of getting these coaches up to speed and ready to hit the road recruiting ASAP. Coaches can begin in-person contact again with recruits beginning Friday.

I still think they end up getting the Tyron Carrier deal done but the extra holdup has been on contract terms and it has been slowed a little by everyone's old friend Tom Herman. You see, Texas came in and make a big offer to Carrier to join their staff. The number was big enough that Houston is going to have to try and get it close or potentially to add a title in order to seal the deal and keep Carrier home. These agents are doing their job as is Houston. So far I still think they get it done because of the ties to Houston and Holgorsen but it has definitely cost them a little time and will cost them some money. Even anything begins to trend this in the direction of not getting done, I'll pass it along."

I heard from other people that the interest in Carrier is legit from the Texas side. I still can't imagine how they make the coaching numbers work, to the point that I dismissed it out of hand...but the smoke continues to persist from several different fronts. Interesting. Personally, I'm all for it as Carrier seems to have a great reputation, albeit a short resume...but more importantly if this and the Beaty rumors are true it means that a massive, massive shakeup is happening in Herman's staff. That could be great. 

• Like 1

Just now, Katfid54 said:

That's fucking awesome news, whether we get Carrier or not.  Because it means Tom isn't sitting still on our current coaching staff.

Yeah, just came back to edit my post to add this. Regardless of getting him or not, I can't imagine Herman is throwing big money at this guy just to fuck with Fertita...because he might just say Yes. This seems to indicate that Herman is intent on reworking his staff. That is exciting. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Jerrion-Ealy-91219/

Just decommitted from Ole Miss. Wants to play baseball too. 

Ha. This was the guy who went absolutely apeshit in the Under Armor game last week. The consensus at the time was that he was primarily going to play baseball, and not football in college...or go straight to the draft (I could be mistaken on the college baseball vs. draft but it was one of those two). 

If he's seriously considering doing both we'd be a good spot and he'd be a fucking grand slam commit. 

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I heard from other people that the interest in Carrier is legit from the Texas side. I still can't imagine how they make the coaching numbers work, to the point that I dismissed it out of hand...but the smoke continues to persist from several different fronts. Interesting. Personally, I'm all for it as Carrier seems to have a great reputation, albeit a short resume...but more importantly if this and the Beaty rumors are true it means that a massive, massive shakeup is happening in Herman's staff. That could be great. 

potentially something like...

• Meekins/Warehime - out --> personally, I don't see how they can keep Warehime at this point. Hand makes him expendable and his 247 listed commits are TJohnson, JWiley, BLiebrock
  • Meekins to TE
  • Beck to AHC & QBs (+Passing Game Coordinator? this would then mirror Drayton's AHC/Run Game coordinator/RB title)
  • Beaty to Co OC/WR
  • Carrier to WR (+Passing Game Coordinator?)

Edited by NoName

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

potentially something like...

• Meekins Mehringer/Warehime - out --> personally, I don't see how they can keep Warehime at this point. Hand makes him expendable and his 247 listed commits are TJohnson, JWiley, BLiebrock
  • Meekins to TE
  • Beck to AHC & QBs (+Passing Game Coordinator? this would then mirror Drayton's AHC/Run Game coordinator/RB title)
  • Beaty to Co OC/WR
  • Carrier to WR (+Passing Game Coordinator?)

FIFY

This looks good to me other than someone who can land DL targets for Giles.

If we couldn't land a commitment out of any of the RBs that had shown interest in Texas for years, forgive me if I'm skeptical about our chances with a guy in the southeast who has shown interest in Clemson who decommitted the day after Clemson just pantsed Nick Saban and looks to be the new standard for excellence in college football. These things don't ever go our way. 

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Worth a shot when it's a kid who is going to be a millionaire because of baseball.

Most big time Mississippi recruitments are dirty, perhaps more than in any other state. I get the baseball angle, but it's just not going to happen, imo. Worth a twitter DM though, I guess. 

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, just realized he's a projected top 10 pick in the MLB draft in '19. He might not ever make it to campus. 

He's one of the few who's worth signing even if he likely won't make it to campus, and potentially waste a scholarship class counter on

Edited by Fud
  • Like 1

So he might not take money from cfb because he will likely make a few million when he gets drafted by mlb?

I think if I were him, I’d take the money to sign with a college, and then worry about mlb money when I get drafted and start negotiating. What’s the football team going to do, withold payment or demand a refund?

• Like 1