Texas recruiting notes 2019

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Bringing this back to recruiting, apparently EJ did a Q&A with Barton Simmons, and ratings bumps for Whittington, Jake Smith, and Owens are incoming (and probably Watson as well). Tyler Owens might be a 5* candidate.

What a delta between excitement at time-of-commitment and final ranking. aggy throwing a colossal shitfit is just the icing on the (mostly-baked) cake.

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Bringing this back to recruiting, apparently EJ did a Q&A with Barton Simmons, and ratings bumps for Whittington, Jake Smith, and Owens are incoming (and probably Watson as well). Tyler Owens might be a 5* candidate.

I'd be interested in reading this, if anyone has it 

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Owens a 5* ??

He's a freakish athlete, no doubt.  Reminds me a bit of Sean Taylor in terms of size/athleticism.  But he needs a good bit of coaching at this point.  If he takes to coaching he could be an absolute star in 2-3 years, no question.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

The 9.95ers aren't too plugged in with this staff in general, but in particular when it comes to staff changes, they're clueless. 

Where are they plugged into the staff? I loved that about Strong, and seems that Herman has continued the practice. 9.95ers don’t know shit, it’s awesome. 

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

I would agree.  Regarding RB, though, unless the NFL calls on Drayton and he really wants to go back to the professional level, I see him staying at Texas.  And Giles' job security seems tied to his coaching notwithstanding his recruiting shortcomings.  But what the fuck do I know?

Drayton has said he wouldn’t rule out another job in the NFL. He also owns his home in Lakeway, so I know he likes it in Austin and doesn’t have plans to bolt. 

Just now, Chili dog said:

He also owns his home in Lakeway, so I know he likes it in Austin and doesn’t have plans to bolt. 

I'm sure a lot of other assistant coaches own their homes, and even for short-timers owning a home in Austin isn't exactly a bad investment.  So I don't read much into that aspect.

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'm sure a lot of other assistant coaches own their homes, and even for short-timers owning a home in Austin isn't exactly a bad investment.  So I don't read much into that aspect.

For sure. I had a lengthy conversation with the guy. He was surprisingly candid about a lot of things. Basically said he might go back to the NFL at some point, but he and his wife love Austin and he expects to be here a while unless something crazy presents itself. Obviously buying a home in Austin doesn’t make it an anchor, though.

16 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Drayton has said he wouldn’t rule out another job in the NFL. He also owns his home in Lakeway, so I know he likes it in Austin and doesn’t have plans to bolt. 

3 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

For sure. I had a lengthy conversation with the guy. He was surprisingly candid about a lot of things. Basically said he might go back to the NFL at some point, but he and his wife love Austin and he expects to be here a while unless something crazy presents itself. Obviously buying a home in Austin doesn’t make it an anchor, though. 

Word is, he almost left for Akron over the past month 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Another mod on 247, Greg Biggins, says he thinks Washington gets a bump.

24 minutes ago, Fud said:

Yes

And I guess I should hedge a little by saying this conversation was last spring and plenty can change in that time. The primary thing I got out of talking to him was that Garrett Wilson was never coming to Texas. This was before he committed to Ohio State. Drayton told me they put him with Wilson on Wilson’s visit because of the mutual Ohio connection. All Wilson did was talk about Ohio State the whole time.  As far as his being happy in Austin, he did seem more pro-Austin than pro-Herman. Kinda got the feeling he and Herman had a better working relationship than personal relationship. I wouldn’t be completely shocked if he left, but he intimidated it would be for the NFL if he left to take another RB spot. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

What I know is that Beck didn't call plays after Tulsa. Without getting into too many details, that comes from someone near him in the games. Hard to call plays when you go entire drives without saying anything into your headset.

This is why I think there will be staff changes. If Herman doesn't want to be the sole playcaller, then the staff has to be shuffled.

19 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Someone posted a screenshot earlier of Biggins talking about Watson.  Biggins a big fan of Watson and will try to move him up the rankings when the 247 group all meet.

I'm just happy the guys showed well at the all-star game. That seems to be a better indicator of future success than what Barton decides to do with the info.

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Considering we want to keep Beck and want to hire Carrier and Beaty and we want to get Giles help, we need 3 positions to open up. I see W and the 2 wide receiver coaches as possibilities. So, best case scenario would be for Beck to slide over to QB coach and co-OC, Beaty to OC and TE, Carrier to WR coach and then bring in an extra DL coach. Hurtt I guess would be possible but he is with Seattle.

But what do you think TH wants to do ?

35 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I thought my post was inimitable.  But your post is an illustration that my illation was merely an imprecation.

Impressive. Had to look up illation and imprecation. Incredibly, no, the intimidation implication roused intrigue, imagination and inspiration. 

Apologies to the board for the irritation. 

Edited by Chili dog
  • Like 2