WTF why would anyone take a moldy, disgusting dead fridge from bulk pickup?

horn4life

When I say disgusting I mean damn near black inside.  It was our old second garage fridge and it crapped out and by the time I realized it, the thing was moldy as hell.  Of course I am allergic to mold so I rolled it out of the way, got a new second fridge, and waited for Bulk Collection.  Missed the last one so, maybe this nasty thing was molding for 8 months?

So I drug it out to curbside pickup, took off the doors, and royally screwed up my nose (already had a slight cold) and set it not facing the road from my shame of even setting something this disgusting out by the curb. I even waited until dusk on Sunday to minimize the possiblity of my neighbors seeing this horror, and hoped I was early on the collection route on Monday.  I glanced out front two hours later and the damn thing was gone.  WTF!  

So why was it gone? Some weird austin recycling program that has some sort of bounty of dead refrigerators?  The metals value? Freon?  Body disposal?  Just a mystery to me and wondered if anyone had any ideas other than what I put forward.  I just could no believe it was gone in two episodes of True Dective... 

Slight threadjack -- what's the limit on the size of items they'll pick up?  We have a completely busted wheel-around basketball hoop that I'd love to get rid of but I assumed it was too big.  It's our week, and in driving around the neighborhood I've seen a few out at the curb.  I don't know if they'll get hauled away but I'm tempted to try.

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Slight threadjack -- what's the limit on the size of items they'll pick up?  We have a completely busted wheel-around basketball hoop that I'd love to get rid of but I assumed it was too big.  It's our week, and in driving around the neighborhood I've seen a few out at the curb.  I don't know if they'll get hauled away but I'm tempted to try.

Disassemble it a bit and the scrappers will take all the metal and leave the remains which will be small enough for bulk pickup to take.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP