Old Yearbook Scandals

Hugo Stiglitz

23 minutes ago, Slade said:

How do I personally feel about Malcolm X statues or streets named after him? I'm fine with it. As far as I know the only thing he did was be unapologetically black and upset the white supremacist power structure at the time. He didn't start a civil war. 

He advocated fore the separation of races because whites are the devil and blacks are the original and superior race. You know, the reverse theology of David Duke, who doesn't have a statue in his likeness or a street named after him, preaches. There's a reason we have and MLK Day and not a Malcolm X Day...unless you live in Berkeley. 

1 minute ago, Spankytoes said:

He advocated fore the separation of races because whites are the devil and blacks are the original and superior race. You know, the reverse theology of David Duke, who doesn't have a statue in his likeness or a street named after him, preaches. There's a reason we have and MLK Day and not a Malcolm X Day...unless you live in Berkeley. 

Positions which he disavowed after he repudiated and left the Nation of Islam. Doing so got him killed.

That's kind of important.

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Positions which he disavowed after he repudiated and left the Nation of Islam. Doing so got him killed.

That's kind of important.

Right. I thought we were basing outrage on singular actions from people though? Northam apologizing for the picture and not showing any indication of racism in his policies as governor doesn't mean shit. Why should Malcolm X get a pass?

You can't keep moving the goalposts. We either condemn people for their proven held views/humor at a period of their life or we admit that people can be shitty, can learn from it and move on with their lives wiser.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Right. I thought we were basing outrage on singular actions from people though? Northam apologizing for the picture and not showing any indication of racism in his policies as governor doesn't mean shit. Why should Malcolm X get a pass?

You can't keep moving the goalposts. We either condemn people for their proven held views/humor at a period of their life or we admit that people can be shitty, can learn from it and move on with their lives wiser.

I wasn’t aware that Malcolm X held public office.

11 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Hey fuckwits, this shit wasn't OK in the 1980's either.  This reminiscing on simpler times is why everybody is wishing you'd hurry up and die.

Of course it wan't "ok" in the 80's. (it was never ok) That's not what I'm saying, at least. 

I am saying that it was, by and large, "ok" in Texas. 

Remind me. How many decades ago were the Confederate statues removed from the UT campus?

Holy shit, he wasn’t a kid. He was in medical school!! He was 25 years old!! That’s a grown fucking man.

And the Klan was still lynching people in the 80s so stop acting like it was some historical throwback costume at the time.

Just when I think Republicans are all party over country, you surprise me and sink even lower.

Y’all should be salivating at this and throwing outrage parties over a Democrat being caught up in this kind of scandal.

Instead you’re concern trolling and pontificating think pieces about the dangers of faux outrage and if this is really racism.

Apparently, it’s racism over party over country for some of you.

Jesus, where’s Brisket’s Whiskey Ledge?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

You seem to think Steve King faced real consequences. I don’t think keeping your job qualifies 

Free advice ... quit worrying about strawmen and just read the thread.

A poster made the following comment: "If he was a Republican, the coordinated GOP attack to defend Northam would be fully operational right now."

The King example disproves that. The intent was to to further engage the Whataboutism other than to show the shallowness of a simpleton, emotional response.

30 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

I must have missed Malcolm's time in public office. Remind me again which office he held at taxpayer expense.

22 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Holy shit, he wasn’t a kid. He was in medical school!! He was 25 years old!! That’s a grown fucking man.

And the Klan was still lynching people in the 80s so stop acting like it was some historical throwback costume at the time.

Just when I think Republicans are all party over country, you surprise me and sink even lower.

Y’all should be salivating at this and throwing outrage parties over a Democrat being caught up in this kind of scandal.

Instead you’re concern trolling and pontificating think pieces about the dangers of faux outrage and if this is really racism.

Apparently, it’s racism over party over country for some of you.

Jesus, where’s Brisket’s Whiskey Ledge?

I don't take any glee out of a guy getting caught in this situation republican or democrat. Nothing else in his life has pointed to a racist attitude, allegedly. He's seemed like a decent man, and nothing in his duties as governor seem to indicate racist tendencies.

It's a horrible slap in our collective faces about our past, especially in Va. So playing politics with something this ugly just isn't what I want to do, or want to see others do. 

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

How do you feel about Malcolm X statues or streets named after him?

I feel awesome about it. I think it's unfortunate that there aren't more. We should name schools after him. The man was absolutely brilliant and profoundly interesting. His intellectual, spiritual, and ethical journey is fascinating and mature, and it is deeply intertwined with powerful currents in our nation that are alive even today. He was a powerful voice for the voiceless. He is the perfect example of a controversial figure whose story is relevant, meaningful, and powerful.

settherules01.jpg?width=550

Everyone here so gleefully throwing Malcolm X under the bus in a pathetic attempt to seem morally equivalent in front of a concern troll should be ashamed of themselves.

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I don't take any glee out of a guy getting caught in this situation republican or democrat. Nothing else in his life has pointed to a racist attitude, allegedly. He's seemed like a decent man, and nothing in his duties as governor seems to indicate racist tendencies.

It's a horrible slap in our collective faces about our past, especially in Va. So playing politics with something this ugly just isn't what I want to do, or want to see others do. 

I don't think he's a racist. He did a racist thing. He wouldn't be governor if this pic had come out before the election.

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

You seem to think the GOP didn’t defend Steve king for almost two decades.

Byrd was defended for many many decades by the democratic party, and still called black people N*ggers into the 21st c.  Where was that outrage ?  And it was most definitely not a different time or that long ago.

Just now, David Dennison said:

I don't think he's a racist. He did a racist thing. He wouldn't be governor if this pic had come out before the election.

Of course he wouldn't have won.

I wonder why you of all people here who call so many racist don't believe he was. The act was at the very least beyond stupid as shit.  

Based on your comments about people here, its racism 101, and he'd be a poster child for it.

• Like 1

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Of course he wouldn't have won.

I wonder why you of all people here who call so many racist don't believe he was. The act was at the very least beyond stupid as shit.  

Based on your comments about people here, its racism 101, and he'd be a poster child for it.

I don't think he's a racist in 2019 for something racist he did in 1985. He might have been a racist in 1985. In fact, you convinced me. He probably was a racist in 1985. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

And they were pieces of shit for defending him as well. This isn’t a pubs vs Dems discussion. This is about not continuing to be governed by shitty people left or right.

If that's the reality, then stop saying the republicans did this or that when the democrats had a grand dragon of the KKK run the senate for decades.  There is a segment of our governing elect that is now, and has been racist their entire lives in and out of public service.. 

Another funny thing is CNN labeled him as a republican governor on one of their news feeds when this story broke (it's been screen shot captured by lots of folks apparently). There is no way they didn't know he was a democrat.  I'm sure it was just an ..... honest mistake.

• Like 2

Another funny thing is CNN labeled him as a republican governor on one of their news feeds when this story broke (it's been screen shot captured by lots of folks apparently). There is no way they didn't know he was a democrat.  I'm sure it was just an ..... honest mistake.

It happens.

download.jpg

Northam completely fucked up handling this shit and that’s the main reason he needs to go.

If it wasn’t him he should have said so in the beginning.  Not only did he admit it was him in the beginning, he left it ambiguous as to if it was him in the klan robe.  Then he does an shitty press conference that was a moonwalk away from the absurd.

His whole approach to this scandal screams of the “white privilege” bullshit that was going on in the photo. 

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Northam completely fucked up handling this shit and that’s the main reason he needs to go.

If it wasn’t him he should have said so in the beginning.  Not only did he admit it was him in the beginning, he left it ambiguous as to if it was him in the klan robe.  Then he does an shitty press conference that was a moonwalk away from the absurd.

His whole approach to this scandal screams of the “white privilege” bullshit that was going on in the photo. 

you misspelled "fucking awesome" 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I must have missed Malcolm's time in public office. Remind me again which office he held at taxpayer expense.

You didn't miss it. He never held public office at the taxpayer's expense. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Oh, that was your response to neutralize the contradiction? That he was never in office and therefore gets a pass as a public figure? Well, never mind then. My example is totally not a double standard for what is acceptable and what is not in America today. It was a reach for a point, at best.

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

If that's the reality, then stop saying the republicans did this or that when the democrats had a grand dragon of the KKK run the senate for decades.  There is a segment of our governing elect that is now, and has been racist their entire lives in and out of public service.. 

I didn’t bring up the Republicans. I was responding to kyle, responding to someone else. I don’t give a fuck about the parties. The lack of a spine from both parties is why we are in the shit show we are in.

And if you wanna complain about faux outrage then check the mirror based on that last comment. 

10 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I don't think he's a racist in 2019 for something racist he did in 1985. He might have been a racist in 1985. In fact, you convinced me. He probably was a racist in 1985. 

It also isn't about him.  It's about the people of Virginia he's supposed to be serving, and whether he can still serve them with this out there.

2 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

You didn't miss it. He never held public office at the taxpayer's expense. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Oh, that was your response to neutralize the contradiction? That he was never in office and therefore gets a pass as a public figure? Well, never mind then. My example is totally not a double standard for what is acceptable and what is not in America today. It was a reach for a point, at best.

They aren’t comparable. Malcolm had his followers. Malcolm wasn’t an elected officials. The standards are different. 

I don’t condemn or approve of Malcolm’s tactics or beliefs. I just don’t care in the context of this discussion. He’s not an elected official, he doesn’t make laws, he doesn’t get to have his hand in directing the law of the land. People are free to agree or disagree with what he taught but the standards for public figures and public officials are not and should not be the same.

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

I didn’t bring up the Republicans. I was responding to kyle, responding to someone else. I don’t give a fuck about the parties. The lack of a spine from both parties is why we are in the shit show we are in.

And if you wanna complain about faux outrage then check the mirror based on that last comment. 

Me pointing out a bizarre "mistake" CNN isn't faux outrage. It's an illustration of why the media (CNN specifically) isn't trusted to report accurately.  Yes, a  lack of spinal fortitude is part of the reason we're here.  

I didn't read the entire back and forth between you and Kyle, but you did use the King guy as an example of 2 decades of hypocrisy, and I pointed out Byrd's entire time as head of the senate was as an uprepentant racist. 

52 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Of course it wan't "ok" in the 80's. (it was never ok) That's not what I'm saying, at least. 

Remind me. How many decades ago were the Confederate statues removed from the UT campus?

No, no it wasn't. Would some small towns in Texas find it appropriate? I guess. Would the state population as a whole find it appropriate? Fuck no. Jeezus. 

Me pointing out a bizarre "mistake" CNN isn't faux outrage. It's an illustration of why the media (CNN specifically) isn't trusted to report accurately.  Yes, a  lack of spinal fortitude is part of the reason we're here.  

I didn't read the entire back and forth between you and Kyle, but you did use the King guy as an example of 2 decades of hypocrisy, and I pointed out Byrd's entire time as head of the senate was as an uprepentant racist. 

You putting mistake in quotes illustrates my point about faux outrage.

Ok so you don’t understand the context of what was being discussed. I don’t know how hard it is to understand that both pubs and dems have had and currently have huge pieces of shit representing them and the parties have failed to hold their own accountable. It’s the reason why people like AOC can win. People are tired of the parties not taking a stand against shit like this.

They aren’t comparable. Malcolm had his followers. Malcolm wasn’t an elected officials. The standards are different. 

I don’t condemn or approve of Malcolm’s tactics or beliefs. I just don’t care in the context of this discussion. He’s not an elected official, he doesn’t make laws, he doesn’t get to have his hand in directing the law of the land. People are free to agree or disagree with what he taught but the standards for public figures and public officials are not and should not be the same.

Understood. The only reason the Malcolm X comparison was made was to illustrate that a person's actions/speech at one time may not ultimately define them as a person. Yet, Malcolm X is celebrated for spending the majority of his life eschewing racial views that are condemned if a white speaker claims them against blacks.

If we want to talk about elected officials, Bill Clinton comes to mind. We know for a fact that he was a womanizer. It didn't affect his ability to govern. Barack Obama grew up in Jeremiah Wright's church and failed to condemn him as a person until he was left with no choice. Listening to Wright's anti-American sermons did not affect his ability to govern. In both instances, people from both sides of the aisle insisted that Clinton and Obama resign for their association with moral outrage. Neither did and the chatter died down. I think both Presidents did some good things while in office despite the scandals in the private lives. There is no evidence to suggest that Northam being a willing participant in this photo has had any bearing on his ability to serve the people of VA either.

You putting mistake in quotes illustrates my point about faux outrage.

Ok so you don’t understand the context of what was being discussed. I don’t know how hard it is to understand that both pubs and dems have had and currently have huge pieces of shit representing them and the parties have failed to hold their own accountable. It’s the reason why people like AOC can win. People are tired of the parties not taking a stand against shit like this.

So why mention King at all ? Ya can't use an example then say no don't do that to others, which is exactly what it looked like you did. If I'm wrong, my apologies.

I don't have outrage about what CNN did I have disgust that they or any new outlet would pull stunts like that.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

So why mention King at all ? Ya can't use an example then say no don't do that to others, which is exactly what it looked like you did. If I'm wrong, my apologies.

I don't have outrage about what CNN did I have disgust that they or any new outlet would pull stunts like that.

I didn’t bring up King. Why are you arguing about this when you admit you didn’t read what was discussed. 

They didn’t pull a stunt. Someone fucked up. It happens.

Edited by hobbes2702

3 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

If we want to talk about elected officials, Bill Clinton comes to mind. We know for a fact that he was a womanizer. It didn't affect his ability to govern. Barack Obama grew up in Jeremiah Wright's church and failed to condemn him as a person until he was left with no choice. Listening to Wright's anti-American sermons did not affect his ability to govern. In both instances, people from both sides of the aisle insisted that Clinton and Obama resign for their association with moral outrage. Neither did and the chatter died down. I think both Presidents did some good things while in office despite the scandals in the private lives. There is no evidence to suggest that Northam being a willing participant in this photo has had any bearing on his ability to serve the people of VA either.

You think Jeremiah Wright was a scandal?

LOL

20 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

It also isn't about him.  It's about the people of Virginia he's supposed to be serving, and whether he can still serve them with this out there.

Not to defend him, but of course he can serve his constituents. 

Will he be allowed to serve them?

20 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Understood. The only reason the Malcolm X comparison was made was to illustrate that a person's actions/speech at one time may not ultimately define them as a person. Yet, Malcolm X is celebrated for spending the majority of his life eschewing racial views that are condemned if a white speaker claims them against blacks.

Why would it be a problem to eschew negative racial views? Isn't that exactly what he should do?

I'm teasing you because you don't know what words mean (look up "eschew"), but do you have evidence that he spent "the majority of his life" expressing "racial views that are condemned if a white speaker claims them against blacks"?

Besides, do you sincerely see no difference between the speech of an oppressor versus the speech of the oppressed? Likely not, I guess, though it should be pretty obvious.

Barack Obama grew up in Jeremiah Wright's church and failed to condemn him as a person until he was left with no choice.

No, he didn't. You are a huge fan of just fabricating the histories of black people you don't like.

Also, Obama never should have condemned Wright as a person or even the controversial sermon, because the controversial sermon was awesome and completely inkeeping with mainstream Christian thought.

I think both Presidents did some good things while in office despite the scandals in the private lives.

Obama was completely scandal-free in his private life.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Asithappens said:

It was never ok, it wasn’t ok in Texas, we removed the confederate statues, any public servant who has this kind of evidence of this kind of past behavior come out *now* has a narrow path to walk which includes honesty about what it is and honesty about what it means.  Northam didn’t do that and now this discussion is happening.

• Like 1

f3ddb3c2e2e93e689f9eedd9abe79e3e.jpg
7b04baa48b3241e519163a81edd66757.jpg
d8014cd9be43a86f280ac66897ed40c7.jpg
ca8e8244b1ebe7bb94f0cd374e4512cf.jpg
e518ec804dd59da5efd480fe86908fb0.jpg
8f03032396e16420fcd1fe69df6c1240.jpg
2bde117d99a0a3b9e5fb9712ed078d0f.jpg
f439c0a1407e98d6472c3c27d136e609.jpg
(Wrong “Heckuva job, Brownie”)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1