Old Yearbook Scandals

Hugo Stiglitz

28 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The guy is getting publicly excoriated for something that happened 35 years ago.  I don't think his remaining in office results in normalization.

I'm just real uneasy with dragging people through the mud over their past.  People change, people grow.  And don't give me this shit about but they don't get to hold public office.  We have elected tons of dirtbags to public office who just got lucky or were skillful at hiding their pecadilloes, and they had neither changed nor grown, and they continued to be active dirtbags in office.  And in some cases, viz Trump, but many others, they got (re)elected anyway.

The moralistic shag simultaneously amuses and frightens me.

He's not going to prison.  But being Gov of VA is high privelige that is not open to just anyone, and he just included himself on the just anyone list with this revelation.  His life will go on.  But now, out of our sight.  What is horrible about this?

Edited by NBMisha
sp
  • Like 1

Lmao, but.....

But grab em in the pussy ten years ago as a media personality on a radio show = hates all women. 
This thread is hypocrisy overload. Lmao. Only because he’s a democrat. His ass would would be burned to the ground if he were republican. He should be thankful. 
Those of you hypocrites spinning and apologizing for your racist baby killing teammate are disgusting human beings. 
The left has left the middle class and the rest of the country behind, and will force another vote for trump. Too dumb to learn from their mistakes. 
I can't vote for Kamala Harris because the governor of Virginia is a racist piece of shit! You forced me to vote for Trump!

24 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The guy is getting publicly excoriated for something that happened 35 years ago.  I don't think his remaining in office results in normalization.

I'm just real uneasy with dragging people through the mud over their past.  People change, people grow.  And don't give me this shit about but they don't get to hold public office.  We have elected tons of dirtbags to public office who just got lucky or were skillful at hiding their pecadilloes, and they had neither changed nor grown, and they continued to be active dirtbags in office.  And in some cases, viz Trump, but many others, they got (re)elected anyway.

The moralistic shag simultaneously amuses and frightens me.

Your past can disqualify you for a lot of things. This is disqualifying to be a leader in the Democratic party. He was something like 25 years old, that's a fully cooked man. He's had years to come forward about this picture yet he did not. He is a governor that was holding this kind of thing under lock and key.  

38 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Ah, I see.  So, Richard, I’ve got this photo of a guy wearing a ski mask fucking an armadillo.  I heard it was you , so thanks for coming clean I guess.

idiot.

Edited by Cajun

32 minutes ago, NBMisha said:

He's not going to prison.  But being Gov of VA is high privelige that is not open to just anyone, and he just included himself on the just anyone list with this revelation.  His life will go on.  But now, out of our sight.  What is horrible about this?

I didn't say it was flat wrong.  I'm just uneasy with it. 

3 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Meanwhile, there are dozens of racist moments with Steve King and Republicans just turn the other cheek.

The right has no moral authority. We’ll take it from here.

King was censured by the House Republican caucus just last month. Save your outrage when it is warranted. Expecting “moral authority” from a political party is either hopelessly idealistic or just plain dumb.The GOP doesn’t revel in eating its own like the Dems do. Go on and carve Northam up for all I care. The GOP circled the wagons and got Kavanaugh confirmed. That’s winning in politics. Y’all ran off Franken and now are looking to do it with this guy. Good luck.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

26 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

I don't have anything to add other than how in the hell did this only come out now? This wasn't an old photo that was recently found, it was in a freaking yearbook.

It appears that Northam wasn't the only one not doing oppo research. It would appear that Virginia isn't as cutthroat in state politics as some other states or federal offices.

From the standpoint of the guy's character, it wouldn't give me any comfort that he "got ahead of this," but I suppose earlier disclosure and consumption of related shit sandwich permits the voters to have their say.

Who on the left is sticking up for him?

Forget it. He’s rolling. Nobody (or a very minimal number of people) is advocating that.

My opinion... Should everybody be forever shunned for things they did when young? No. Should somebody be able to retain office after something like this? No. There have to be consequences, even for poor decisions in our distant youth, and he should take the opportunity to hold himself accountable. If he wants to have a future in politics, he should resign and run again in the next election. Take the time to fully acknowledge his actions, try to regain the trust of his constituents, and demonstrate the values our politicians SHOULD have

5 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Forget it. He’s rolling. Nobody (or a very minimal number of people) is advocating that.

My opinion... Should everybody be forever shunned for things they did when young? No. Should somebody be able to retain office after something like this? No. There have to be consequences, even for poor decisions in our distant youth, and he should take the opportunity to hold himself accountable. If he wants to have a future in politics, he should resign and run again in the next election. Take the time to fully acknowledge his actions, try to regain the trust of his constituents, and demonstrate the values our politicians SHOULD have

Why do there HAVE to be consequences?  Isn't the shitstorm a consequence in and of itself?

I don't necessarily disagree with you, particularly your last point, but I find your demand for CONSEQUENCES in line with Americans' general bloodhirstiness.

Virginia is one of two states that has a recall procedure, although I'm not sure this fits the statute.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Why do there HAVE to be consequences?  Isn't the shitstorm a consequence in and of itself?

I don't necessarily disagree with you, particularly your last point, but I find your demand for CONSEQUENCES in line with Americans' general bloodhirstiness.

Virginia is one of two states that has a recall procedure, although I'm not sure this fits the statute.

There will be more consequences if he doesn’t resign.  KKK/Blackface would be disqualifying for a public official in 1984.  It should be disqualifying now.  

Him retaining power after this sends a terrible message to our kids and the world of who we are and what we will accept. We are at a moment in our history where this kind of shit is more consequential than ever.  

The fact that people can’t comprehend this is almost disturbing to me. 

• Like 1

My feeling is that this is only weird because we're split between people who want to fight for deplorable rights, and people who have absolutely no more patience for people who are or used to be deplorable holding office at this level.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

King was censured by the House Republican caucus just last month. Save your outrage when it is warranted. Expecting “moral authority” from a political party is either hopelessly idealistic or just plain dumb.The GOP doesn’t revel in eating its own like the Dems do. Go on and carve Northam up for all I care. The GOP circled the wagons and got Kavanaugh confirmed. That’s winning in politics. Y’all ran off Franken and now are looking to do it with this guy. Good luck.

Oooooh, CENSURED! That'll show 'em. 

At least you admit that you support politicians knowing they act in bad faith. 

15 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

There will be more consequences if he doesn’t resign.  KKK/Blackface would be disqualifying for a public official in 1984.  It should be disqualifying now.  

Him retaining power after this sends a terrible message to our kids and the world of who we are and what we will accept. We are at a moment in our history where this kind of shit is more consequential than ever.  

The fact that people can’t comprehend this is almost disturbing to me. 

Sure it would be disqualifying today if it happened today.

In 1984, were you even alive???, Robert Byrd was Senate Minority Leader.  Four years later, he was Senate Majority Leader.  Forty years earlier he didn't just wear a Klan hood at a costume party, he was an avowed open member of the Klan and actively espoused racist views.  The extra 5 years in the past is more than made up for by the activeness of his views.

Yet people seem to accept his statements that he moved away from those views.

And then there are politicians, in office, who actively supported DOMA, which is a more explicitly bigoted position than wearing a Klan hood 35 years ago.  Yet these people retain office today among a constituency that abhors their earlier position.  How? By recanting their earlier position.

Stop being such a condescending prick.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Sure it would be disqualifying today if it happened today.

In 1984, were you even alive???, Robert Byrd was Senate Minority Leader.  Four years later, he was Senate Majority Leader.  Forty years earlier he didn't just wear a Klan hood at a costume party, he was an avowed open member of the Klan and actively espoused racist views.

Stop being such a condescending prick.

Not trying to be a condescending prick.  

Byrd Klan days are indefensible but they were in the 1940s, not 1984.  There’s a difference.

I understand where you’re coming from and this is kinda like the Al Franken situation.  While the allegations against him weren’t really fleshed out well enough to justify his resignation at the time, he realized the importance of the moment and stepped down for the greater good of society. 

Because that’s what leaders do.

Northham should do the same.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

10 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Not trying to be a condescending prick.  

Byrd Klan days are indefensible but they were in the 1940s, not 1984.  There’s a difference.

I understand where you’re coming from and this is kinda like the Al Franken situation.  While the allegations against him weren’t really fleshed out well enough to justify his resignation at the time, he realized the importance of the moment and stepped down for the greater good of society. 

Because that’s what leaders do.

Northham should do the same.

That someone has a difference of opinion with you doesn't mean they don't comprehend your righteous views.  That's condescending and if you are not aware you do it with great frequency.

I regret that Al Franken stepped down because I think he is a good man, despite some political differences.  I regret this whole gotcha game culture we have created.

I don't really have an opinion as to whether Northam is a good man or not, but I'm really balky at this whole witch hunt thing.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

That someone has a difference of opinion with you doesn't mean they don't comprehend your righteous views.  That's condescending and if you are not aware you do it with great frequency.

I’ve always respected your opinions even when I strongly disagree and let’s be real, what would this forum be without condescending pricks?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’ve always respected your opinions even when I strongly disagree and let’s be real, what would this forum be without condescending pricks?

Fair enough.  I was just mad.  We actually probably agree more often than we disagree.

As tantric indicated, I would be totally comfortable having the people of the Commonwealth of Virginia recall this guy or petition for his removal if even informally.  I'm just more than vaguely uncomfortable with this guy getting reamed by the public at large and various self-appointed moral arbiters.  Actually, I guess I'm ok with him getting reamed, but less so with a resultant removal from office.  If he steps down, that's his prerogative, but again I think it may be regrettable as in the case of Franken.

And, he may dig himself a bigger hole after the fact and prove himself to be a current, active dirtbag.  The coverup is worse than the crime.

Shit I don't know why Im even posting here.  I think most politicians are dirtbags a fortiori.  I should revel in evidence confirming my view.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It doesn’t matter at this point. He said he was in the photo last night and now he’s walking that back?!?

What the fuck is this guy’s strategy? Defect to the Republican Party?

He should just say he was drugged (hacked) and has no idea where any of this came from?  It worked for Joy Reid.

I think it was released by a med school classmate, likely disturbed by his clarification on murdering newborns. 

Edited by GRHorn

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

Shunned?  He gets to go back into a wealth, privileged, country club life where his buddies will slap him on the back over this.  And now he can vote R with them an be much more socially acceptable, within his group.  Not a bad gig.  Stop crying.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Why is this worse than Robert Byrd actually being a top Ku Klux Klan operative?

Byrd would still be in office and in a top leadership position but for him dying a few years back.  

Byrd also disavowed the Klan and called his participation in it the greatest mistake of his life.  What is your point?

Edited by Tom