Travis' letter from the Alamo, 2/24/1836

miguelito

19 hours ago, Parliament said:

That old hotel just south of the Alamo. What are they doing with it? Because it has a lotsa history of its own.

The Menger is outside of the original Alamo perimeter. In case you’re referencing The Crockett Hotel to the west-southwest, that is also outside the original walls. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

Does anybody have recommendations for the best book about the war for Texas Independence - in it’s entirety, not just the Alamo to San Jac?  I prefer history books with lots of background, aftermath, and behind-the-scenes information. I want to know the rest of the story, as long as it’s truthful. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

13 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Urrea split and took a smaller force more along the coast - and absolutely fucking destroyed any resistance.  He was by far the best general Mexico had, and by good fortune, fate, luck, whatever you call it - he was the #3 commander of the entire Mexican army - under Santa Anna, who was about as shitty a general as ever lived (and under Filisola, which was again unfortunate for the Mexicans).

Had Urrea gotten his way, 1) he would have been the main expeditionary force and completely, utterly wiped out the Texian uprising.  He was tons better at tactics and understanding the nature of what was needed for battles.  In every aspect he was by far the superior Mexican commander.  2) after Santa Anna was captured at San Jacinto, Urrea begged him to let his 2,500 Mexicans finish off the Texians.  But a vain Santa Anna, who was jealous of him and his successes (and headlines), ordered everyone back to Mexico, sparing the Texians and granting them essentially their new republic.  Santa Anna told Filisola to stand down, and despite Urrea pleading with Filisola to continue the fight, he was too afraid to lose more men and material and said to go back home.  Even after that, Urrea a few months later garnered some 6,000 Mexicans and was ready to re-do the entire business and would easily have crushed the colonists - again - but again he was ordered to stand down and tend to minor border skirmishes.  So that inevitable 2nd invasion never happened.

Due to Santa Anna's vanity and jealousy (and Filisola's hesitancy to put a final blow into the Texians after San Jacinto), Texas was born.  It would absolutely not have been had José de Urrea been allowed to do what he could have done.  He would have completely destroyed the revolution.  He never lost a single battle of any size, even a skirmish, during the Revolution.

One more thing, although it was Urrea's troops that ultimately massacred the Goliad surrenderers, Urrea himself wasn't there, and even before that, he spent considerable time negotiating favorable terms for the revolutionaries.  The orders to massacre came from - you guessed it - Santa Anna.

Thank God that Santa Anna and Urrea were in their positions, else this would absolutely have been Mexico - again - for who knows how long.

Urrea was the Magnificent General Who Wasn't Allowed To Be Magnificent.

This is an excellent post that I'm going to assume is true because of my abject ignorance in the area.  It highlights how much I don't know because all I'm ever fed is the hero tale from our side.  I wish I had real education on what happened.

18 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Does anybody have recommendations for the best book about the war for Texas Independence - in it’s entirety, not just the Alamo to San Jac?  I prefer history books with lots of background, aftermath, and behind-the-scenes information. I want to know the rest of the story, as long as it’s truthful. 

Lone Star Nation by HW Brands is really good.

https://www.amazon.com/Lone-Star-Nation-Battle-Independence/dp/1400030706

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Lone Star: A History Of Texas And The Texans by Fehrenbach.  I always thought it was the definitive work.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

This is an excellent post that I'm going to assume is true because of my abject ignorance in the area.  It highlights how much I don't know because all I'm ever fed is the hero tale from our side.  I wish I had real education on what happened.

there might be a few technically minor issues but Wally's overall post is on point.   Urrea probably would have ended the Revolution with a resounding Mexican win if Santa Ana had stayed out of the way.  

21 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

there might be a few technically minor issues but Wally's overall post is on point.   Urrea probably would have ended the Revolution with a resounding Mexican win if Santa Ana had stayed out of the way.  

Wrong.   Sleepy giant aggy hadn’t run out of time yet.