Spring Football starts today

Goo Punch

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

73% of the team are Champions coming out of winter camp according to Herman. To compare - 75% of the team were Champions last fall camp, so we're ahead of schedule.

edit: I'm bored....some notable names I didn't see - 

Keontay Ingram

Cade Brewer

Reese Leitao

Colin Johnson

Brennan Eagles

Jordan Pouncey

Demarvion Overshown

Kobe Boyce

Montrell Estelle

Ayodele Adeoye

Byron Vaughns

D'andre Chrismas Giles

Tyler Johnson

Edited by Bruh Man

45 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The aggy conspiracy theorists can rest easy now.  Tyler Owens shot up the charts because he's a badass athlete.  Fastest time in the nation obviously makes him faster than any aggy CB signee, much less the safeties playing CB that they mostly got.

• Like 2

IT Wednesday practice report

CAVEAT 1: They have not been in pads. This has not been real football. Things change when the pads come on. Like filters on @Scipio Tex 's dating apps, this separates the men from the boys.

CAVEAT 2: Zero-sum football. I don't care about results of individual plays as much as I care about tendencies (a player keeps making the same play, mistake, etc) and depth chart.

QUARTERBACK

Sam Ehlinger has taken the younger quarterbacks under his wing as he emulates the same tutelage Shane Buechele offered him. This illustrates a level of comfort and understanding with his own role and playbook. There's not much else to say about him at this point, he's a known.

On Casey Thompson, we've heard he looks similar to last year, though I'm not sure what anyone is expecting to see at this point. Word is he's still much more dangerous with his legs than arm but let's give him the benefit of the doubt and some time.

With the caveat being they've only had two practices, Roschon Johnson has impressed with his accuracy. That's the most positive thing we could hear about him at this point and that's the first thing we were told. He's showing good leadership, especially given he's usually pretty quiet. He's showed a lot of maturity and competitiveness and always works hard. He's what you're looking for at the position, but we expect to hear of some struggles as the pads come on and bodies start flying around at a faster clip.

RUNNING BACK

The first thing I heard was "Jordan is fast as [bleep]." For someone known for his quickness, build, and fluidity, that's encouraging. Expectations are he'll carry himself well in pads, but still, everyone wants to see it. He'll be hit early and often by defensive players anxious to test his mettle. Athleticism isn't in question, neither are his hands. Will he drop his shoulder and run it up the middle? We'll see.

Keaontay Ingram is carrying more weight than usual but looks good and healthy. The quickness that was drained from him after some a season's worth of pounding has been restored, even with him being a little bigger.

"Same old Danny, he wants to play physically even in just a helmet." If Whittington is the real deal, Young will likely have a similar, if expanded, role to last season. Don't count him out for real carries, though.

Kirk Johnson has been doing his job and is moving well. No need to say much else.

WIDE RECEIVER

Bru McCoy was the first name mentioned. Sources have been high on he and Whittington since they arrived, now they just want to see how they respond to physicality. With Collin Johnson out for the spring, McCoy has been working at XWR (outside boundary receiver). There's still a good chance he plays HWR (slot) next season. All the same stuff to Whittington applies, even being fast despite being known for other strengths: size, fluidity, and quickness.

Malcolm Epps has been rotating at XWR with McCoy and has acquitted himself well. In general the receivers and defensive backs have been battling pretty evenly. Epps will always have a size advantage but he's starting to become a better route runner.

Brennan Eagles is starting to get people a little excited. Heading into the off-season we wrote they wanted to get his body operating optimally and whatever they've done it has worked. He's running better than ever, even though he's up to nearly 230 pounds. He's been working at Z which seems to suggest more playing time this season with Collin Johnson a fixture at X. Eagles has been taking advantage of Devin Duvernay taking the camp off to heal (it's a very minor injury that he played through last year).

Josh Moore is back and moving like we know he can. He's been working in the slot.

There's no real 1st team right now, everybody is just rotating. This is a good time for Ehlinger to get timing down with the younger receivers.

TIGHT END

We get asked frequently about Cade Brewer but it's still too early to know what's what. While some players are going to look better without pads, he's one whose value increases when they come on as blocking is a solid attribute. I don't think he'll ever be the guy he was as a freshman but that could just as easily be the added weight as much as any lingering knee issue.

Jared Wiley is impressing in this setting. "His routes are okay for someone who hasn't played the position much. They could be better. He rounds them too much but he catches everything and he's humongous. If he can block he's going to play. Let's see what happens when the pads come on. Some guys disappear."

And that's always been the knock on Reese Leitao. Hopefully that changes in the coming weeks.

Lots of opportunity for Wiley ahead of Brayden Liebrock's arrival. So far Wiley is exactly what we expected. We think he's going to throw his weight around too, but we'll feel a lot better after we hear it confirmed.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Sam Cosmi-Derek Kerstetter-Zach Shack-Tope Imade-Denzel Okafor

The Denzel Okafor tackle experiment is alive and....well, it's alive. Often Kerstetter will rotate to right tackle with Junior Angilau going to guard.

Second team line is: Christian Jones-Junior Angilau-Rafiti Ghirmai-Reese Moore-JP Urquidez.

I hear Okafor still struggles with pass rushers. Jones can match length and athleticism with anyone.

Other than that, we won't know anything substantial until the pads come on. This group will be tinkered with quite a bit.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Malcolm Roach-Gerald Wilbon-Ta'Quon Graham

Marqez Bimage-Keondre Coburn-Jacoby Jones

I forgot to ask about Coburn's kidney issue but it doesn't sound too serious.

The floor of this unit should be pretty high, but they better duck from the ceiling fan because I'm not sure what the roof is.

I suspect they'll be good versus the run and active enough for the blitzers and Ossai to get after the passer. We should get a better idea after spring break.

LINEBACKER

Jeffrey McCulloch is at Rover, Ayodele Adeoye is at Mac, and Joseph Ossai is at B.

McCulloch is slimmed down, Ossai has bulked up. He might actually be 245 pounds now. The same goes for McCulloch.

Orlando works his depth chart a little differently than most. Guys aren't necessarily set at different positions. His best linebacker is his Rover, his second best is his Mac.

As far as back-ups go, Caleb Johnson is at Rover which suggests he's #3 right now and De'Gabriel Floyd is at Mac. Speed won't be an issue for Johnson. Physically, Floyd looks like he's already been in the program for a couple of years.

Orlando is keeping things simple for the newer linebackers but they've been solid mentally so far. We're going to see a full blown competition for Mac and who wins out is anyone's guess.

Coaches are encouraged by Johnson and Floyd so far, but again, no pads.

Byron Vaughns is behind Ossai and shows promise, he's just not as advanced as Joseph. Joe is a different dude. Has a chip and full grown man mentality.

SECONDARY

Anthony Cook has boundary corner locked down. He's been good, but the coaches have frequently been playing Jalen Green and Kobe Boyce at the same time. Both of them had exceptional practices on Wednesday in coverage. This is Boyce's game in particular, his issue has been the physical demands of the position. Those guys are providing sticky coverage, though.

I heard some good things about D'shawn Jamison in coverage as well. He surprised some people. He's put on some needed muscle to play defense.

There's some cautious optimism at corner. They're young but athletic.

Safeties have been repping at nickel and nickels have been repping at safety. BJ Foster ran with the "ones" at nickel some but so too did Josh Thompson. Chris Brown saw some action there as well. They all also worked boundary safety as well.

Caden Sterns is back and doing Caden Sterns things, making one of the most athletic picks you'll ever see after Ehlinger locked onto a receiver. Sterns toe-tapped the out-of-bounds line and announced he's healthy.

We'll have a recruiting post tomorrow a.m. and then hopefully another practice report before the team applies the sunscreen and heads to Daytona, or whatever the kids do these days.

Bobby Burton: Thursday

Few practice notes from Wednesday:

- There were no apparent changes from the first team offense or defense units from Monday to Wednesday.

- Tope Imade continues to run first team at left guard and onlookers say he's simply a rare physical specimen at this point.

- BJ Foster is working hard in coverage but is still not as refined as some of his peers. He has the skills but he's just not quite there yet.

- Kobe Boyce continues to run ahead of Jalen Green at one corner spot and had a pair of INTs in drills yesterday. Boyce seems determined to make the more heralded Green earn his way into the lineup.

- Unsurprisingly, Casey Thompson appears well ahead of Roschon Johnson in the back-up QB race. Thompson looks more fluid and more familiar with the timing of college ball at this point.

- Linebacker Luke Brockermeyer, a preferred walk-on, received a couple of second-team reps late in practice yesterday.

- Talk continues to be that freshman Jordan Whittington and Bru McCoy are cut from a different cloth.

- Receiver Josh Moore was called the "quickest" player on the team.

The team's next practice is set for Friday.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

IT Wednesday practice report

Hide contents

CAVEAT 1: They have not been in pads. This has not been real football. Things change when the pads come on. Like filters on @Scipio Tex 's dating apps, this separates the men from the boys.

CAVEAT 2: Zero-sum football. I don't care about results of individual plays as much as I care about tendencies (a player keeps making the same play, mistake, etc) and depth chart.

QUARTERBACK

Sam Ehlinger has taken the younger quarterbacks under his wing as he emulates the same tutelage Shane Buechele offered him. This illustrates a level of comfort and understanding with his own role and playbook. There's not much else to say about him at this point, he's a known.

On Casey Thompson, we've heard he looks similar to last year, though I'm not sure what anyone is expecting to see at this point. Word is he's still much more dangerous with his legs than arm but let's give him the benefit of the doubt and some time.

With the caveat being they've only had two practices, Roschon Johnson has impressed with his accuracy. That's the most positive thing we could hear about him at this point and that's the first thing we were told. He's showing good leadership, especially given he's usually pretty quiet. He's showed a lot of maturity and competitiveness and always works hard. He's what you're looking for at the position, but we expect to hear of some struggles as the pads come on and bodies start flying around at a faster clip.

RUNNING BACK

The first thing I heard was "Jordan is fast as [bleep]." For someone known for his quickness, build, and fluidity, that's encouraging. Expectations are he'll carry himself well in pads, but still, everyone wants to see it. He'll be hit early and often by defensive players anxious to test his mettle. Athleticism isn't in question, neither are his hands. Will he drop his shoulder and run it up the middle? We'll see.

Keaontay Ingram is carrying more weight than usual but looks good and healthy. The quickness that was drained from him after some a season's worth of pounding has been restored, even with him being a little bigger.

"Same old Danny, he wants to play physically even in just a helmet." If Whittington is the real deal, Young will likely have a similar, if expanded, role to last season. Don't count him out for real carries, though.

Kirk Johnson has been doing his job and is moving well. No need to say much else.

WIDE RECEIVER

Bru McCoy was the first name mentioned. Sources have been high on he and Whittington since they arrived, now they just want to see how they respond to physicality. With Collin Johnson out for the spring, McCoy has been working at XWR (outside boundary receiver). There's still a good chance he plays HWR (slot) next season. All the same stuff to Whittington applies, even being fast despite being known for other strengths: size, fluidity, and quickness.

Malcolm Epps has been rotating at XWR with McCoy and has acquitted himself well. In general the receivers and defensive backs have been battling pretty evenly. Epps will always have a size advantage but he's starting to become a better route runner.

Brennan Eagles is starting to get people a little excited. Heading into the off-season we wrote they wanted to get his body operating optimally and whatever they've done it has worked. He's running better than ever, even though he's up to nearly 230 pounds. He's been working at Z which seems to suggest more playing time this season with Collin Johnson a fixture at X. Eagles has been taking advantage of Devin Duvernay taking the camp off to heal (it's a very minor injury that he played through last year).

Josh Moore is back and moving like we know he can. He's been working in the slot.

There's no real 1st team right now, everybody is just rotating. This is a good time for Ehlinger to get timing down with the younger receivers.

TIGHT END

We get asked frequently about Cade Brewer but it's still too early to know what's what. While some players are going to look better without pads, he's one whose value increases when they come on as blocking is a solid attribute. I don't think he'll ever be the guy he was as a freshman but that could just as easily be the added weight as much as any lingering knee issue.

Jared Wiley is impressing in this setting. "His routes are okay for someone who hasn't played the position much. They could be better. He rounds them too much but he catches everything and he's humongous. If he can block he's going to play. Let's see what happens when the pads come on. Some guys disappear."

And that's always been the knock on Reese Leitao. Hopefully that changes in the coming weeks.

Lots of opportunity for Wiley ahead of Brayden Liebrock's arrival. So far Wiley is exactly what we expected. We think he's going to throw his weight around too, but we'll feel a lot better after we hear it confirmed.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Sam Cosmi-Derek Kerstetter-Zach Shack-Tope Imade-Denzel Okafor

The Denzel Okafor tackle experiment is alive and....well, it's alive. Often Kerstetter will rotate to right tackle with Junior Angilau going to guard.

Second team line is: Christian Jones-Junior Angilau-Rafiti Ghirmai-Reese Moore-JP Urquidez.

I hear Okafor still struggles with pass rushers. Jones can match length and athleticism with anyone.

Other than that, we won't know anything substantial until the pads come on. This group will be tinkered with quite a bit.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Malcolm Roach-Gerald Wilbon-Ta'Quon Graham

Marqez Bimage-Keondre Coburn-Jacoby Jones

I forgot to ask about Coburn's kidney issue but it doesn't sound too serious.

The floor of this unit should be pretty high, but they better duck from the ceiling fan because I'm not sure what the roof is.

I suspect they'll be good versus the run and active enough for the blitzers and Ossai to get after the passer. We should get a better idea after spring break.

LINEBACKER

Jeffrey McCulloch is at Rover, Ayodele Adeoye is at Mac, and Joseph Ossai is at B.

McCulloch is slimmed down, Ossai has bulked up. He might actually be 245 pounds now. The same goes for McCulloch.

Orlando works his depth chart a little differently than most. Guys aren't necessarily set at different positions. His best linebacker is his Rover, his second best is his Mac.

As far as back-ups go, Caleb Johnson is at Rover which suggests he's #3 right now and De'Gabriel Floyd is at Mac. Speed won't be an issue for Johnson. Physically, Floyd looks like he's already been in the program for a couple of years.

Orlando is keeping things simple for the newer linebackers but they've been solid mentally so far. We're going to see a full blown competition for Mac and who wins out is anyone's guess.

Coaches are encouraged by Johnson and Floyd so far, but again, no pads.

Byron Vaughns is behind Ossai and shows promise, he's just not as advanced as Joseph. Joe is a different dude. Has a chip and full grown man mentality.

SECONDARY

Anthony Cook has boundary corner locked down. He's been good, but the coaches have frequently been playing Jalen Green and Kobe Boyce at the same time. Both of them had exceptional practices on Wednesday in coverage. This is Boyce's game in particular, his issue has been the physical demands of the position. Those guys are providing sticky coverage, though.

I heard some good things about D'shawn Jamison in coverage as well. He surprised some people. He's put on some needed muscle to play defense.

There's some cautious optimism at corner. They're young but athletic.

Safeties have been repping at nickel and nickels have been repping at safety. BJ Foster ran with the "ones" at nickel some but so too did Josh Thompson. Chris Brown saw some action there as well. They all also worked boundary safety as well.

Caden Sterns is back and doing Caden Sterns things, making one of the most athletic picks you'll ever see after Ehlinger locked onto a receiver. Sterns toe-tapped the out-of-bounds line and announced he's healthy.

We'll have a recruiting post tomorrow a.m. and then hopefully another practice report before the team applies the sunscreen and heads to Daytona, or whatever the kids do these days.

It’s a good thing scipios filter can separate the men from the boys.

Horns247 Staff: What position group has the most to prove this spring?

Each week the Horns247 staff tackles the Question of the Week, where we provide answers to Longhorn specific topics. This week’s question comes as we take a look at the position units with the Longhorns beginning spring practice. Texas football will be looking to rebuild at several positions on the team after losses on both sides of the ball from the 2018 roster. With that in mind, the Question of the Week is … What position group has the most to prove in spring practice? And what guy at the selected position is one you’re watching?

Bobby Burton, Publisher

The linebackers have the most to prove. We’ve seen flashes from Jeffrey McCulloch and Joseph Ossai but they’re not the ones I’m most worried about. I’m more concerned with who is going to man the middle of the D. Ayodele Adeoye is expected to be that guy. How he performs this spring is going to mean a lot for the fortunes of this defense.

Chip Brown, Columnist

Without question for me it's linebacker for two big reasons:

1. The lack of experience returning to replace the team's two leading tacklers from last season (Gary Johnson and Anthony Wheeler).

2. The decision of DeMarvion Overshown to turn down the opportunity to replace Gary Johnson at Rover and move back to safety.

The guy I've got binoculars on in the linebacker position group is Ayodele Adeoye, the projected starter at middle linebacker who has all the measurables and now must show he can process the game mentally to maximize his speed. Otherwise, watch out for early enrollee freshman De'Gabriel Floyd.

Jeff Howe, Senior Writer

When there’s only one player to speak of when it comes to experience within a position group Todd Orlando has said time and again is essentially the heartbeat of his defense, I don’t see how the pick can be anything other than linebacker. Jeffrey McCulloch got good experience playing behind Gary Johnson and Anthony Wheeler last season, but the rest of the depth chart at Rover and Mac is filled out by either true freshmen, redshirt freshmen or junior college transfers. While inside linebacker is a concern, the linebacker who I’m looking for to have a huge spring is Joseph Ossai on the outside. If Ossai can finally give Orlando the game-changing presence he hasn’t had at B-backer in the 27 games where he’s led the defense, the combination of Ossai, a dynamic group of safeties and a deep defensive line could compensate in a big way for the lack of experience at inside linebacker when it matters in the fall.

Taylor Estes, Managing Editor

It’s all about the linebackers for me. Texas will be looking to replace both Anthony Wheeler and Gary Johnsonfrom last year's roster, and their experience and leadership will be really tough to emulate. One guy I’ve been planning to have my eye on is Joseph Ossai. I think his ceiling is really high and has continued to be a guy Tom Herman has praised a lot towards the end of last season and throughout winter conditioning. I’m very interested to see his progress from Year 1 to Year 2.

EJ Holland, Recruiting Analyst

I would say running backs. There needs to be more production from the position. Keaontay Ingram is obviously the one to watch since he's now the bell cow.

Mike Roach, Recruiting Analyst

I think the cornerbacks have the most to prove as they will be breaking in a mostly new group. Jalen Green is the guy I'm watching there. I'm fairly certain Anthony Cook can build on what he brought to the field last year, but Green has the potential to be a shutdown cornerback. He has the chance to take this job run with it.

2. The decision of DeMarvion Overshown to turn down the opportunity to replace Gary Johnson at Rover and move back to safety.

Hmm, I must've missed this. How is Overshown going to see the field in the next few years?

Edited by Foosters

13 hours ago, sushihorn said:

The aggy conspiracy theorists can rest easy now.  Tyler Owens shot up the charts because he's a badass athlete.  Fastest time in the nation obviously makes him faster than any aggy CB signee, much less the safeties playing CB that they mostly got.

Easily the funniest thing ever posted.

Hmm, I must've missed this. How is Overshown going to see the field in the next few years?

This surprised me as well. Did Overshown insist on sticking to safety or could he not keep weight at lb.

11 minutes ago, Texas Flood said:

This surprised me as well. Did Overshown insist on sticking to safety or could he not keep weight at lb.

Check the source 

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Who's the RT, then? Kerstetter?

I'm thinking Jones is probably a year away.

Kerstetter at RT is my bet.

I remember when Okafor started fall camp at LT last year, so I'm not too concerned about it right now, especially since there's a lot of rotation occurring.

Edited by Machinator

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Who's the RT, then? Kerstetter?

I'm thinking Jones is probably a year away.

Yep. I think Kerstetter showed enough at RT as a TR FR that he should be able to be at least average there, if not better, with two more years of S&C under his belt. Plus, Kerstetter will likely be about average at G or RT.

With Okafor, you have the potential of an all-conference guard or an average-ish RT who will get killed over and over again by speed rushers. 

There’s still no pads, so I’m not too worried about it now, but I’d like to see the staff get Okafor a high number of reps at G once the pads come on. He’s the kind of guy who can get some serious movement on the LOS and open up running lanes that weren’t there last year for our RBs.

Edited by Burt Macklin

Reese Moore as 2nd team guard is surprising. We've got a lot of options at guard. Making the continuing Okafor at tackle experiment all the more baffling. 

I'm not sure what to think about Eagles practicing at Z. Duvernay has this spot locked down next season, so maybe they're just trying to get Eagles reps for spring?

I can't stress enough how good it is that we've got a true second team center (or at least someone exclusively taking reps there) who doesn't factor into the starting lineup unless (historically, when) Shack gets injured. Still don't buy into "manufactured depth" on the OL. That group is too interdependent on knowing and practicing with the guy next to you. 

Just now, BigHorn'13 said:

Reese Moore as 2nd team guard is surprising. We've got a lot of options at guard. Making the continuing Okafor at tackle experiment all the more baffling. 

I'm not sure what to think about Eagles practicing at Z. Duvernay has this spot locked down next season, so maybe they're just trying to get Eagles reps for spring?

I can't stress enough how good it is that we've got a true second team center (or at least someone exclusively taking reps there) who doesn't factor into the starting lineup unless (historically, when) Shack gets injured. Still don't buy into "manufactured depth" on the OL. That group is too interdependent on knowing and practicing with the guy next to you. 

They're rotating a lot and the pads aren't on. This is how Hand operates.

Even the 9.95ers are saying not to put a lot of stock into this right now, and it's their job to get people to care.

9 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I mean CJ has X locked down, so where do you want him to practice? He can’t cut well enough to play at H, and Z is probably his best long-term fit and his best shot at playing time next year because they’re not going to take reps from CJ.

The guy I’m curious about is Woodard. We haven’t heard much about him since he got to campus last year and when Duvernay gets back, it looks like he’ll be running third team with a guy from his class directly in front of him.

Edited by Burt Macklin

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

They're rotating a lot and the pads aren't on. This is how Hand operates.

I hear you. And I remember last spring him doing the same but out of necessity. Don't get me wrong, I like OL who are flexible to play all 5 spots. Just like it even more when the depth chart is utilized as such. 

And I could be wayyy off since we didn't really see "the matrix" of OL play when injuries occur. We got really lucky in that regard. Maybe this matrix isn't necessarily next best lineman, per se, but next best Tackle when a Tackle goes down, and same with guards, regardless of right or left. That approach makes more sense to me. 

Just now, Red Five said:

I know we want to redshirt all our frosh OL. I know. Buuuuuut..... what happens when come August Tyler Johnson is our second best OT? Because I think that might happen.

I don't think he's going to be better than a junior Kerstetter or even a redshirt freshman Christian Jones.

I could see him being in the two-deep at guard, though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I mean CJ has X locked down, so where do you want him to practice? He can’t cut well enough to play at H, and Z is probably his best long-term fit and his best shot at playing time next year because they’re not going to take reps from CJ.

The guy I’m curious about is Woodard. We haven’t heard much about him since he got to campus last year and when Duvernay gets back, it looks like he’ll be running third team with a guy from his class directly in front of him.

I think all the recieving spots are locked down, with only H being a little up for grabs with the talent there. 

Could be wrong but was Eagles a burner in HS? From what I know about the position (albeit limited), you want speedy guys who can run crisp routes. Eagles seems more like an X to me but I'm not coaching WRs.

Agreed on Woodard. 

4 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I hear you. And I remember last spring him doing the same but out of necessity. Don't get me wrong, I like OL who are flexible to play all 5 spots. Just like it even more when the depth chart is utilized as such. 

And I could be wayyy off since we didn't really see "the matrix" of OL play when injuries occur. We got really lucky in that regard. Maybe this matrix isn't necessarily next best lineman, per se, but next best Tackle when a Tackle goes down, and same with guards, regardless of right or left. That approach makes more sense to me. 

Machinator is talking about in practice. Hand doesn’t usually change the lineups during the season. 

In general, I’d prefer a guy like Kerstetter last year, who is your 6th best OL and can play all the spots. It keeps your best OL on the field and doesn’t disrupt the other 4 positions. Plus, it’s not like a backup guard is getting that many reps with the 1s in your scenario, so the aspect of playing together in practice doesn’t really apply.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Machinator is talking about in practice. Hand doesn’t usually change the lineups during the season. 

In general, I’d prefer a guy like Kerstetter last year, who is your 6th best OL and can play all the spots. It keeps your best OL on the field and doesn’t disrupt the other 4 positions. Plus, it’s not like a backup guard is getting that many reps with the 1s in your scenario, so the aspect of playing together in practice doesn’t really apply.

Practice?? - Iverson

Just now, BigHorn'13 said:

I think all the recieving spots are locked down, with only H being a little up for grabs with the talent there. 

Could be wrong but was Eagles a burner in HS? From what I know about the position (albeit limited), you want speedy guys who can run crisp routes. Eagles seems more like an X to me but I'm not coaching WRs.

Agreed on Woodard. 

Yeah. Eagles has really good speed, especially for his size. He ran a 4.51 at a Houston opening where everyone was posting slow times due to bad weather outside. Z is where I’d prefer to have my worst route runner because they run a lot of deep routes, like go’s and posts, while X is more of a possession receiver that needs to run good routes. 

Eagles has struggled with route running in the past and he loses a lot of his speed on cuts, so I think Z would fit him a lot better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Or maybe it does because they're practicing together in different scenarios? 

I don't know. Cross training works well to me at literally every other position because you just need to know your responsibility and how the play being called is executed. OL need more cohesiveness IMO.

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah. Eagles has really good speed, especially for his size. He ran a 4.51 at a Houston opening where everyone was posting slow times due to bad weather outside. Z is where I’d prefer to have my worst route runner because they run a lot of deep routes, like go’s and posts, while X is more of a possession receiver that needs to run good routes. 

Eagles has struggled with route running in the past and he loses a lot of his speed on cuts, so I think Z would fit him a lot better.

Shit. Forgot about the opening times. Wasn't it under terrible weather conditions too? I guess you're probably right.